Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:57:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Okami

Started by The Boston Crab, August 09, 2018, 11:32:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

falafel

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 09, 2018, 04:51:23 PM
This thread is a absolute disgrace.

That voice effect so offended my ears that I had to put down the PS3 version after a few hours even though I was enjoying it. I just can't. Nails on a blackboard. The rest of the sound I remember being quite lovely so why should I cripple the game by playing on mute? I can't understand how anyone can even tolerate it. Had a similar effect on me to that very particular shakiness-of-voice you hear when someone is seconds away from vomiting (and weirdly, this is what Eric Trump's normal speaking voice sounds like to me):  visceral, wrenching, sympathetically nauseating.

This is a very difficult challenge to overcome to make a video game worth playing. My calculated response is that it's not worth the therapy.

I honestly understand. I had forgotten or never been bothered by it back it in the day and it immediately got on my wick, especially with the slow text speed during the intro. Within half an hour, though, I'd forgotten. Issun seems less and less prominent as the game progresses, thank goodness.

I'd never noticed before the pervy elements of the game, either, and that stuff makes me like him a bit more, too. Also, finding out that he's based on a mythological Tom Thumb samurai figure also put his mischievousness into a different context.

So, yeah, I understand, but it's worst in the first twenty minutes, basically.

madhair60

I should probably give this another go. I might have the patience for it now. It's on PS4 right?

Yeah, came out a good while back on PS4.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

God Hand is Clover Studios real masterpiece. You might like it. It's tough but fair, like Dark Souls.

madhair60

I've got that on PS3, it seems complete AIDS. I got it at the same time as Shadow of the Colossus/ICO, both also AIDS. In my humble and subjective opinion of course.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Shadow of the Colossus is indeed pants. The others are great.

popcorn

Tell you what is shit.

Resident Evil 1. And the remake.

popcorn

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 09, 2018, 12:48:10 PM
It's a very good game but that's a bizarre comparison to make.  It's absolutely nothing like Okami.  You may as well have said that Metal Gear Solid is a better game.  Apples and oranges.

I'm confident that not only is Metal Gear Solid easy to compare to Okami - they are both video games - it's also much better.

Apples are also better than oranges. There is no confusion in my mind about this.

This is actually good and satisfyingly repetitive like Zelda. You know, open new area. Oh, you can't do that yet you gotta do dat wot u don b4 aahhhh arite led dun now wot? Now u can do dat den dat den dat den da fukn BOSS den da den da den da x the whole game.

St_Eddie

Quote from: The Boston Crab on August 10, 2018, 05:33:26 PM
This is actually good and satisfyingly repetitive like Zelda. You know, open new area. Oh, you can't do that yet you gotta do dat wot u don b4 aahhhh arite led dun now wot? Now u can do dat den dat den dat den da fukn BOSS den da den da den da x the whole game.

You are aware that describes around 50% of games, right?

Osmium

Completed this for the second time a few months back. It does go on a bit and it has pacing issues but the pleasure of bolting about as a wolf and feeding monkeys kept me coming back. Beats traipsing about as a standard bipedal cunt. Sakuya is hot.

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 10, 2018, 05:55:00 PM
You are aware that describes around 50% of games, right?

It's nicely satisfying here, I've just unlocked the Mermaid Coin which is timely as I have a bit of backtracking to do. So far, ten hours in, it's well paced, actually. I've just got the dog orbs, I'm guessing I'm a third of the way through the game, perhaps? I'd be happy enough if it were only a quarter. I feel like I'm only now getting started.

St_Eddie

Quote from: The Boston Crab on August 15, 2018, 10:26:08 AM
It's nicely satisfying here, I've just unlocked the Mermaid Coin which is timely as I have a bit of backtracking to do. So far, ten hours in, it's well paced, actually. I've just got the dog orbs, I'm guessing I'm a third of the way through the game, perhaps? I'd be happy enough if it were only a quarter. I feel like I'm only now getting started.

Nice!  Indeed, once the initial hump of a slow start is out of the way, Okami is an absolutely joyful world to immerse oneself in.

Since momentum was built, it's been quite a rollicking romp. I've just finished the first act and I expect that it will drop off somewhat as the next act builds up again. I'll be quite happy with a momentary change of pace, actually. I'd like like to grind a few Demon Fangs for some QoL upgrades and stuff. I quite like that there are no side quests which I haven't already done, which is quite mad in this area kind of game. Everything needed for quests seems to be geographically very nearby. Anyway, rambling but I'm delighted to play this and for that price, it should be in everyone's Switch library (unless you've played it and don't like it).