Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:48:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Paypal

Started by bgmnts, August 09, 2018, 12:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

It is fucking shit.

Who actually uses this?

Endicott

Don't tell him Pike!

madhair60

gmoney

gmoney

New Jack

I rinse free trials of Spotify, Netflix et al by setting up new PayPal addresses with my debit cards to avoid them detecting that I'm a previous customer. Works great with the fact any Gmail address can have a superfluous address with a dot as Google don't differentiate dots in addresses, so the providers think n.ewj.ack@gmail is different from newjack@gmail

... What, I'm on Universal Credit, leave it aaaaht!

madhair60

Someone paypalled me £25 earlier for fuck all reason. Therefore Paypal is good even though they intimidated me the other week.

doppelkorn

what's shit about it gary?

Z

PayPal and eBay surely must go down as two spectacular failures in the long run. They had the potential to completely dominate e commerce but instead somehow lost their considerable headstart over serious competitors for the former and became the poundland of the web for the latter.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: madhair60 on August 09, 2018, 05:16:21 PM
Someone paypalled me £25 earlier for fuck all reason. Therefore Paypal is good even though they intimidated me the other week.

Whereas I've been hacked and someone's taken £45. So I've spent the morning running virus and malware checkers, and then changing every password I have on this pc. Really not what I needed right now, I've filed a claim so hopefully Paypal will side with me.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Z on August 09, 2018, 07:30:00 PM
PayPal and eBay surely must go down as two spectacular failures in the long run. They had the potential to completely dominate e commerce but instead somehow lost their considerable headstart over serious competitors for the former and became the poundland of the web for the latter.
What's the best alternative to eBay though? I tried selling some shit on GumTree recently and had nothing but fucking timewasting bastards. Popped it on eBay and it sold within a week for the asking price.

New Jack

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on August 10, 2018, 02:51:30 PM
What's the best alternative to eBay though? I tried selling some shit on GumTree recently and had nothing but fucking timewasting bastards. Popped it on eBay and it sold within a week for the asking price.

I have to assume Amazon marketplace is popular, seeing as every fucking thing I look at has tons of second hand versions

surreal

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 10, 2018, 12:42:31 PM
Whereas I've been hacked and someone's taken £45. So I've spent the morning running virus and malware checkers, and then changing every password I have on this pc. Really not what I needed right now, I've filed a claim so hopefully Paypal will side with me.

Sorry to hear that but it's more likely to be if you used the same password for more than one thing, then it's been breached from another website and whoever has the password list just goes through the major popular sites and tries them.  Password manager and different passwords for everything is the only way.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: New Jack on August 10, 2018, 03:24:18 PM
I have to assume Amazon marketplace is popular, seeing as every fucking thing I look at has tons of second hand versions

Places like music magpie (zoverstocks) use bots to list their inventories,they undercut each other, which is why relatively popular cd's of yesteryear can be found for 1p.

New Jack

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 10, 2018, 05:13:24 PM
Places like music magpie (zoverstocks) use bots to list their inventories,they undercut each other, which is why relatively popular DVD's of yesteryear can be found for 1p.

Tags: Stewart Lee loves Skynet

doppelkorn

I use eBay and PayPal all the time. Basically because two of the main things I buy are obscure used bike parts and obscure used audio gear (and formerly obscure old records). Forums are much better as marketplaces tho, because people tend to do better prices and you get fewer timewasters/scammers and nobody skimming off 10-15%. But you still end up using PayPal to pay people. Any I use PayPal all the time on most e-commerce sites so I don't have to find my card and type in the number.

doppelverdikt: NOT SHIT

Malcy

I use Paypal to get cash from doing online surveys. Very handy. Don't know what exactly is supposed to be shit about it.

Gotta say how is this a thread fuck

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: surreal on August 10, 2018, 04:09:32 PM
Sorry to hear that but it's more likely to be if you used the same password for more than one thing, then it's been breached from another website and whoever has the password list just goes through the major popular sites and tries them.  Password manager and different passwords for everything is the only way.

Ah, that is very possible, I have various passwords but do tend to reuse them for some sites. Have made them all unique now anyhow, so hopefully it won't happen again.

imitationleather

In an era before we used to give these things more thought I used PayPal to pay for drugs. Eventually the guy was busted and obviously as there was a very clear paper trail back to me there was clear evidence of what I'd done. Didn't get into trouble but they seized my account with about £200 in it for six months. Getting it back coincided with Christmas, which was nice.

Spent it on bitcoin so I could get some festive drugs in peace, obviously.

imitationleather

By the way I'm currently trying to sell something (not drugs) on eBay. Every day cunts message me to say they want to buy it for their child's birthday so will I accept half the listed price.

Does that sort of obvious lie ever work on anyone? Why would I give a fuck who you are buying these drugs for? They sound like a pretty cool parent, though.

bgmnts

Quote from: The Boston Crab on August 10, 2018, 08:13:20 PM
Gotta say how is this a thread fuck

Because Paypal is shit.