Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:29:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fantasy Football 2018/19

Started by phes, August 09, 2018, 04:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phes

Hello and welcome

perhaps someone could post the league code, I can't work out how to find this out

Great Satan

C&B League code: 1408862-319597
CaBinet of Curiosities League code: 994300-221259
Head to Head League code: 1408862-512855

https://fantasy.premierleague.com

Great Satan

I can't fathom why so many r/FantasyPL users are advising people not to start with Aubameyang. I mean, yes, Arsenal start with tough fixtures against Man City and Chelsea, which they might lose, but there's no reason he won't score against them (especially Chelsea).

My only dilemma right now is choosing a keeper. On the one hand, an expensive keeper like Ederson or De Gea would guarantee me points. On the other, I have a good feeling about Pickford picking up save points this season, no matter how much I distrust Everton.

Either Fabianski or Patrício may turn out to be the better (and cheaper) choice in the long run. However, I wouldn't have an easy 4.0m backup for them, unlike with Ryan/Button or Lössl/Hamer, and Fabs may pick up fewer save points now that he has what's in theory a better defence.

'Tis a pickle, no bones about it.

holyzombiejesus

I understand how your squad can increase in worth but I don't get how that converts in to money you get to spend. Even when you sell a player that's increased in value, you never seem to get extra cash to spend.

Anyway, I've totally spent up and have half a squad half filled with 4 quid no-marks. Couldn't decide between Firmino and Mane so went the former and put Kante in (I read somewhere he might be pushing forward a bit more this year) and a guaranteed 100 points for £5 is ok. Wish I had a tiny bit more wiggle room to go for a few of the new teams' players but that would mean doing something foolish like swapping Firmino for Charlie Austin. Hmmm. Unless Danny Ings can score a few at 5.5... Firmino for Ings doesn't sound too clever although that might allow me to put Mane in. Oh, I've just realised I only have 1 keeper. Shit.

phes

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 09, 2018, 08:44:01 PM
I understand how your squad can increase in worth but I don't get how that converts in to money you get to spend. Even when you sell a player that's increased in value, you never seem to get extra cash to spend.

Anyway, I've totally spent up and have half a squad half filled with 4 quid no-marks. Couldn't decide between Firmino and Mane so went the former and put Kante in (I read somewhere he might be pushing forward a bit more this year) and a guaranteed 100 points for £5 is ok. Wish I had a tiny bit more wiggle room to go for a few of the new teams' players but that would mean doing something foolish like swapping Firmino for Charlie Austin. Hmmm. Unless Danny Ings can score a few at 5.5... Firmino for Ings doesn't sound too clever although that might allow me to put Mane in. Oh, I've just realised I only have 1 keeper. Shit.

I think you get back 50% i.e.  .1 of each .2 your player rises iirc. So if your player rises .1 you'll see no profit, if he rises .2 you'll see .1 and if he rises .3 you'll also see .1. So there's no point hanging onto a player specifically to make profit who is rising to an odd decimal. Likwise when a player is dropping from a odd decimal point i.e. 5.9 to 5.8, you'll see no profit loss. However, if you bought that player at 5.9 then he drops to 5.8, you will see a loss because 5.8 is all you're getting back.

tldr:

Increases in profit to odd decimal points are irrelevent
Decreases in profit to even decimal points are irrelevent
Any decrease below your purchase value is baaaaaaad if you think you'll be selling that player soon

So be careful about letting players rot on your bench. It can do irreparable minor/moderate harm to your spending power.

Quote from: Great Satan on August 09, 2018, 05:33:04 PM
I can't fathom why so many r/FantasyPL users are advising people not to start with Aubameyang. I mean, yes, Arsenal start with tough fixtures against Man City and Chelsea, which they might lose, but there's no reason he won't score against them (especially Chelsea).

My only dilemma right now is choosing a keeper. On the one hand, an expensive keeper like Ederson or De Gea would guarantee me points. On the other, I have a good feeling about Pickford picking up save points this season, no matter how much I distrust Everton.

Either Fabianski or Patrício may turn out to be the better (and cheaper) choice in the long run. However, I wouldn't have an easy 4.0m backup for them, unlike with Ryan/Button or Lössl/Hamer, and Fabs may pick up fewer save points now that he has what's in theory a better defence.

'Tis a pickle, no bones about it.

Aubameyang is about as safe a player as you could ask for right now. Nailed on, scoring goals (from both positions), assisting goals, penalties, Arsenal come out blazing thesedays, score heavily (and lose) and as you say, neither city nor Chelsea are anything for a top striker to worry themselves over. I suspect he wont be leaving my team this season so it's madness to not start with him. I own him and Aguero and Salah (and two other Liverpool players) so really who else am I gonna play instead of him without performing surgery on my team in week 3.

I've gone with Patricio and Foster atm but haven't actually done my research yet.

The Lurker

I'm quite pleased with the squad I've built up which can only mean that I'll be using my wildcard in about 2-3 weeks time.

holyzombiejesus

It'd be nice to start the season with a little cash in the bank but I'm already scrimping to bring in some shit £4 journeymen.

Ferris

Hang on, how "in-depth" is everyone? Because I know players and who I think is useful/a load of shit and go from there.

monkfromhavana

Is Aguero going to be rotated with Jesus though?

I've been tinkering the last couple of days and I've managed to get Salah, Mane, Aguero, Aubameyang. As mentioned on here before, I did alright in the real World Cup one, so I'm looking forward to a top 400,000 finish this year.

phes

Quote from: monkfromhavana on August 10, 2018, 07:36:56 AM
Is Aguero going to be rotated with Jesus though?

Yes, is the short answer to that. The long answer is that injury free he will start 4/5 games alone or alongside Jesus. Out of the games he does miss, most of those will be fairly predictable. Times when you'd fully expect him to start and he doesn't will be few and far between. On those days fantasy football boards will be jammed with traffic. Managers with the armband on Aguero having a tantrum and managers who don't own him absolutely pissing themselves. Its a sight to behold, it's the dinoflagellate explosion of the fantasy football world

Crabwalk

Good luck all! Here's to not learning from past mistakes and ever-spiralling ranks!

Quote from: Great Satan on August 09, 2018, 04:46:27 PM
C&B League code: 1408862-319597
CaBinet of Curiosities League code: 994300-221259

What's the difference here?

holyzombiejesus

Someone started a new league and I renewed the previous one so now there are two.

holyzombiejesus

After tonight's game:

QuoteAverage Pts 3
Highest Pts 46

46 points! Has someone triple captained already?

Ferris

Great Satan

Went against my own advice and didn't pick Kanté or Neves. Feel like a right prune.

But Richarlison scored so WAHEY! Very happy with Wan-Bissaka too, but Jimenez is looking like a poor choice.

Is there a better forward than him in the 4.5-5.5m bracket?

Great Satan

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 11, 2018, 06:01:43 PM
Mid table. Get in.

Wrong thread, matey. We're not talking about the outlook for our beloved Villa here.

Ferris

Quote from: Great Satan on August 11, 2018, 06:31:43 PM
Wrong thread, matey. We're not talking about the outlook for our beloved Villa here.

Villa to finish 2nd in the table. Nailed on with Grealish in there.

I'll be following the directions from Mid-Table FC's board and steer them to a comfortable 9th place.

phes

Quote from: Great Satan on August 11, 2018, 06:22:47 PM
Went against my own advice and didn't pick Kanté or Neves. Feel like a right prune.

But Richarlison scored so WAHEY! Very happy with Wan-Bissaka too, but Jimenez is looking like a poor choice.

Is there a better forward than him in the 4.5-5.5m bracket?

There don't appear to be any decent budget strikers. Wouldn't beat yourself up about Neves, every chance you'd be enduring long frustrating barren spells which is no good for a 5.5. Hope he proves me wrong because he is brilliant isn't he.

Great Satan

Quote from: phes on August 11, 2018, 07:53:27 PM
There don't appear to be any decent budget strikers. Wouldn't beat yourself up about Neves, every chance you'd be enduring long frustrating barren spells which is no good for a 5.5. Hope he proves me wrong because he is brilliant isn't he.

My only aim for this year is to calm this itchy trigger finger of mine and not cost myself hundreds of points in reflex transfers. Though I will usually come to accept my players will outperform the sudden but brief success, I have to shut the fickle parts of my brain up before that happens. I'm a terror unto myself, really.

I think he'll almost certainly end the season with over 100 points, though. Wolves are very lucky to have him. Not even entirely sure he will have any frustrating barren spells because he really is that fantastic, but I'm pretty happy with who I've got all things considered and won't make any changes just yet.

Ferris

I do the same thing. As soon as someone mentions a player, I have to stop myself transferring them in immediately.

I have faith in my squad. Relax.

rue the polywhirl

My bench is on fire. 28pts. Neves, Kante, Tomkins And Begovic in goal. I was gonna put Kante and Begovic in my first team because Begovic was a last minute transfer but because the site typically crashed before the deadline I wasnt able to select him in time so Fabianski remains in my first 11.

holyzombiejesus

I've only had 3 of my first XI play so far and already have 34 points, so I'm quite pleased. Made one transfer already, swapping a non-playing £4 defender for one that actually gets some minutes. Looks like, as suspected, only 1 of my keepers is getting game time and the non-playing one is another £4er so need to work something out. If I swap Jota for Neves, it'll free up £1.5 but I don't want to be rash and it'll cost me 4 points now.

Great Satan

Have 39 points with 6 players left to play, among them being Salah, Agüero, Aubameyang, De Bruyne and Mkhitaryan. Murphy's Law dictates I will get -5 points tomorrow.

holyzombiejesus

Hmmm. I'm kind of tempted to use my wildcard just to swap 3 of my £4/ 4.5 players around. I worry that if I leave it, the £4ers that actually play will go up in value and, as I have nothing in the bank, I'll be lumbered with a non-playing subs bench. Thoughts?

bgmnts

Comfortably mid table with Salah, Firmino, De Bruyne and Shaqiri to play. So will probably stay comfortably mid table.

Fucked up and lost a few easy points.

EOLAN

Did sell out Richarlison before the deadline so I could seel Eriksen and afford Salah. Seems bad but I did get Nerves in instead and played him so not much of a loss and potential to increase further in value.

Blinder Data

Got cold feet and swapped Pogba out for Keita, what a belm. I ended up avoiding Salah and obviously he's just scored. Going great so far :/

I can't help but be a little sentimental when it comes to FPL though. I brought in Stefan Johansen, even though Fulham have recruited loads and he probably won't do much, simply because he's ex-Celtic. That sentimentality won't last very long though - should've done what everyone else did and bought Neves instead.

phes

Quote from: Great SatanNot even entirely sure he will have any frustrating barren spells because he really is that fantastic, but I'm pretty happy with who I've got all things considered and won't make any changes just yet.

If you look at his positional map and the fact that he's scored all his goals from outside the area and got very few assists then he'd have to become a different player overnight to be a viable 5.5.  There's going to be an awful lot of assisting the player who assists the goal