Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:37:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Slaughterhouse Rulez (new Pegg Frost film)

Started by Ron Superior, August 10, 2018, 12:11:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Superior

Well, they're in it. Teen horror comedy set in a boarding school. Written by Crispian from Kula Shaker and a film critic for the Sunday Express. Is there any chance at all this won't be shit?

https://www.chortle.co.uk/video/2018/08/09/40767/slauterhouse_rulez:_the_first_trailer

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Yes, I'm not particularly enthused by that trailer. Unfortunately, Pegg's films tend to be rather crummy, unless they're written by him or part of a megabucks Hollywood series. A Fantastic Fear of Everything in particular seemed to be roundly mauled by critics (though presumably not Henry Fitzherbert).

Then again, maybe it's aimed more at the yoof crowd than manky old Spaced fans like me.

Shaky

This looks like a defacto Cornetto flick and as such I'm mildly intrigued. It's a solid if unspectacular idea and if the script is OK and the kids are likeable it could work, I guess.

Twed

Ugh, clearly influenced by Bully, St. Trinians, Harry fucking Potter and every ironic horror movie ever. And why the fuck was Crispian from Kula Shakur allowed to write a movie, or thrive? Wait until this goes to home release, buy it and then wee on it.

Sebastian Cobb

Pegg was in some MI promo interview just the other week saying he didn't want to be doing your loveable nerd cornetto/spaced stuff any more and now this is announced.

His film work has been mostly terrible.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Ron Superior on August 10, 2018, 12:11:00 AM
Written by Crispian from Kula Shaker

Eh? I thought the best thing written by him was his own Wikipedia page. I love Pegg and Frost but it's taken me about a decade to realise that I like them mainly as personalities. I love Spaced and the first two thirds of the Cornetto trilogy and I also quite liked Paul but their presence in a project is obviously not any guarantee of quality. The question we have to ask ourselves individually, and as a group is, do we like Pegg and Frost enough to watch something written by a guy called Crispian.

New Jack

The title struck me as American but it's a British set British film with British actors

I see, I see

Also Chortle misspelled Slaughter

But will it have S-Laughter, eh readers?

Bazooka

The trailer makes Lesbian Vampire Killers seem palatable.

greenman

Quote from: Shaky on August 10, 2018, 05:07:53 AM
This looks like a defacto Cornetto flick and as such I'm mildly intrigued. It's a solid if unspectacular idea and if the script is OK and the kids are likeable it could work, I guess.

Cornetto does If... but with much less convincing writing/direction I suspect.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 10, 2018, 09:29:28 AM
Pegg was in some MI promo interview just the other week saying he didn't want to be doing your loveable nerd cornetto/spaced stuff any more and now this is announced.

His film work has been mostly terrible.

The same Pegg who has said fuck knows how many times that his Scottie isn't just a bit of comic relief...

At least Nick Frost might be worth it - he was the only decent thing about the absolutely appalling World's End and he made Cuban Fury more than watchable, when with anyone else it probably would've been toilet.

Having said that, he's actually pretty bad in Sick Note...

I also predict Pegg and Frost will be in it for all of ten minutes.

purlieu

Probably going to be better than your average teen comedy, but not worth more than one watch.

Mister Six

Quote from: Ron Superior on August 10, 2018, 12:11:00 AM
Well, they're in it. Teen horror comedy set in a boarding school. Written by Crispian from Kula Shaker and a film critic for the Sunday Express. Is there any chance at all this won't be shit?

https://www.chortle.co.uk/video/2018/08/09/40767/slauterhouse_rulez:_the_first_trailer

Advertising it as a Pegg/Frost film when they're not the creatives behind it is a bit disingenuous - but does explain the private school setting, which isn't very Pegg-like. And I suspect their involvement will be minimal and it'll focus mostly on the kids.

Still, I really did like A Fantastic Fear of Absolutely Everything, which was rather slight but still charming and funny, and had some nice visual flourishes. And it had the lovely woman who played the doomed Muslim doctor in The God Complex episode of Doctor Who.

So yeah, this might be all right.

Also, " Hey Dude" is a perfectly ok pop song. Overcome your Britpop-era NME brainwashing!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I think that's the first positive thing I've seen anyone say about A Fantastic Fear of Everything. I remember thinking it looked interesting, but then the reviews put me off. I was into Kula Shaker as a youth, so that wasn't a stumbling block for me.

BlodwynPig

They used the same Pegg reaction shot twice in that trailer.

mothman

Quote from: New Jack on August 10, 2018, 11:09:24 AM
The title struck me as American but it's a British set British film with British actors

I see, I see

Also Chortle misspelled Slaughter

But will it have S-Laughter, eh readers?

Yeah, what is the point of the title. Slaughterhouse is the name of the school (lol #Iseewhatyoudidthere) but, Rules? Is it a Cider House Rules joke? What's a New England orphanage stroke abortion clinic got to do with an English public school apparently built on a Hellmouth?

Slaughterhouse Blue (or Red might be better) might make more sense - though that was an Oxbridge college not a public school, I just remembered - but who remembers Tom Sharpe these days?

St_Eddie

Quote from: mothman on August 11, 2018, 04:14:43 PM
Yeah, what is the point of the title. Slaughterhouse is the name of the school (lol #Iseewhatyoudidthere) but, Rules? Is it a Cider House Rules joke? What's a New England orphanage stroke abortion clinic got to do with an English public school apparently built on a Hellmouth?

I think it's a fair assumption to make that it's a shitty play on Cider House Rules and that the 'Rulez' is being used in the manner of 'our school Rulez', as in 'we, the students of Slaughterhouse are the best'.  There's not much more to it than that, I don't think.

Mister Six

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on August 11, 2018, 12:10:13 PM
I think that's the first positive thing I've seen anyone say about A Fantastic Fear of Everything. I remember thinking it looked interesting, but then the reviews put me off. I was into Kula Shaker as a youth, so that wasn't a stumbling block for me.

It's not essential viewing and its structure/pacing is a bit odd (it seems to spend the bulk of its runtime on act 1 and then rockets through acts 2 and 3 in the space of about half an hour) but it's quite charming and funny - and unique, which is something I appreciate.

Also I don't want to give the impression that I've invested in this film or anything, but some of the responses on here are bit much. Like...

Quote from: Twed on August 10, 2018, 05:25:00 AM
Ugh, clearly influenced by Bully, St. Trinians, Harry fucking Potter and every ironic horror movie ever. And why the fuck was Crispian from Kula Shakur allowed to write a movie, or thrive? Wait until this goes to home release, buy it and then wee on it.

Eh? What similarities are there with Bully, St Trinian's or "Harry fucking Potter" - three very different stories - other than the public school setting?

I suppose Mark Frost's character looks a bit like Hagrid, but is it not more likely that all three have been inspired by actual, real public schools, which tend to have posh teachers, bullies and working-class groundskeepers?

As for "every ironic horror movie ever", the only one that rings a bell is The Faculty. What are the others?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Mister Six on August 12, 2018, 09:42:24 AM
Eh? What similarities are there with Bully, St Trinian's or "Harry fucking Potter" - three very different stories - other than the public school setting?

Mate.  The movie literally stars an actress named Hermione.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 12, 2018, 10:40:58 PM
Mate.  The movie literally stars an actress named Hermione.

That makes no sense at all. Just because an actress (born four years before the release of the first HP book) has the same name as a Harry Potter character doesn't mean the film will have anything to do with that series. Were you drunk again last night?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 13, 2018, 10:52:40 AM
That makes no sense at all. Just because an actress (born four years before the release of the first HP book) has the same name as a Harry Potter character doesn't mean the film will have anything to do with that series. Were you drunk again last night?

I was joking, you plum.

Small Man Big Horse

Shaky

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 11, 2018, 04:40:37 PM
I think it's a fair assumption to make that it's a shitty play on Cider House Rules and that the 'Rulez' is being used in the manner of 'our school Rulez', as in 'we, the students of Slaughterhouse are the best'.  There's not much more to it than that, I don't think.

Yeah, I'd bet a very small about of money on "Slaughterhouse Rulez" appearing as graffiti at some point.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 13, 2018, 03:48:56 PM
Be more funny.

Fuck off, you lemon tree.  Go make some refreshing lemonade for the kiddies, why don't you?  Bloody lemon tree cunt.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 14, 2018, 02:50:52 PM
Fuck off, you lemon tree.  Go make some refreshing lemonade for the kiddies, why don't you?  Bloody lemon tree cunt.

Blimey, calm down fella, I was just messing about.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 16, 2018, 12:46:01 AM
Blimey, calm down fella, I was just messing about.

Bit rich, mate.

olliebean

Did anyone ever see this? Is it worth bothering with?

kidsick5000

Quote from: olliebean on February 20, 2019, 01:33:02 PM

42% on Rotten Tomatoes, which is higher than I expected.
Not bad for a film I got the feeling it's Frost, Pegg and Sheen doing a favour for a pal. (I don't know which pal, I'm just trying to rationalise how all three got involved)

St_Eddie

Yeesh, I was angry earlier in this thread!  Looking at the dates, that was when I was still in the living hell of my old flat (7 bloody years of that shit!).  Sorry about that, Small Man Big Horse.  It's not an excuse but an explanation when I say that I was close to suicide during that time.  Glad to be free of my inhuman neighbours now and a lot calmer for it too.

Quote from: olliebean on February 20, 2019, 01:33:02 PM

I haven't watched it but every single review that I've read (which is several) says that it's mediocre at absolute best.  So no, probably not worth bothering with.  Maybe just half-watch it when it eventually comes on TV, which is what I'll be doing.

Rev+

Just gave this a go, and:

Quote from: Mister Six on August 12, 2018, 09:42:24 AM
It's not essential viewing and its structure/pacing is a bit odd (it seems to spend the bulk of its runtime on act 1 and then rockets through acts 2 and 3 in the space of about half an hour)

Applies to this one as well.  It's an hour and 40 and the monsters don't crop up until past the 50 minute mark, most of the time up until that point being spent establishing that Slaughterhouse is a bit like any other public school ever depicted in a film.  Pegg and Frost are in it a bit more than you'd perhaps expect, but do just drop in and out of it.  Margot Robbie literally phones it in, Michael Sheen is currently appearing as Wishee Washee at the St. Albans Arena, and the kids are alright.

It has that horror/comedy problem of not being enough of either, and is another film that could have easily dropped its occasional gore and swearing in order to get a rating that would allow kids of the same age as the main characters in.  That'd have been a better approach, because it really doesn't seem like a film aimed at a jaded old bastard like me.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 20, 2019, 02:31:17 PM
Yeesh, I was angry earlier in this thread!  Looking at the dates, that was when I was still in the living hell of my old flat (7 bloody years of that shit!).  Sorry about that, Small Man Big Horse.  It's not an excuse but an explanation when I say that I was close to suicide during that time.  Glad to be free of my inhuman neighbours now and a lot calmer for it too.

No need to apologise, I was definitely being a twat above and am sorry about that. And I'm also sorry you were in such a shitty place, and glad to hear things have improved too.

QuoteI haven't watched it but every single review that I've read (which is several) says that it's mediocre at absolute best.  So no, probably not worth bothering with.  Maybe just half-watch it when it eventually comes on TV, which is what I'll be doing.

I feel the same way. I'm fond of Pegg and Frost but it just seems so bland, sometimes I half watch tv / films while making up lesson plans and I might do the same thing here, but even then it's looking unlikely unless someone comes along and suggests it's better than others have claimed.