Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,488
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:35:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Slaughterhouse Rulez (new Pegg Frost film)

Started by Ron Superior, August 10, 2018, 12:11:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SavageHedgehog

It's pretty weak, the viral marketing was stronger than the film. I sometimes think the Cornetto Trilogy is overrated, but then you see something like this and remember how films that tried the same thing generally turned out in the past, and indeed often still do.

rasta-spouse

Thought the first half (before it becomes a monster movie) was okay, then when the genre changes it sucks. But the main surprise is that Crispian from Kular Shaker isn't that bad a movie director.

They should've stuck to copying If....

St_Eddie

Quote from: rasta-spouse on February 24, 2019, 09:27:08 PM
Thought the first half (before it becomes a monster movie) was okay, then when the genre changes it sucks.

Funny.  That's exactly how I felt about The World's End.

rasta-spouse

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 24, 2019, 10:13:35 PM
That's exactly how I felt about The World's End.

World's End for me was up, down, up, down and so on.

Edgar Wright's visual sequences were brilliant. Then when he stopped moving the camera and let the actors read from the script I realised how unfunny Pegg had become as a writer.

But then, Wright starts moving the camera again, and we're back in the game!

It's a great example of a talented director tackling a pretty bad script.

St_Eddie

Quote from: rasta-spouse on February 24, 2019, 10:23:14 PM
World's End for me was up, down, up, down and so on.

That's the level select code for Sonic the Hedgehog, isn't it?

mothman

Pegg's upcoming work schedule isn't looking that brilliant, really. One shit-sounding indie comedy and a single episode of The Boys (playing the father of the character that was drawn to look like him). With the fourth Trek film looking increasingly unlikely, and no guarantee when/if he'll get to be in any more Miss Imps, has the shine gone off his career?

St_Eddie

Quote from: rasta-spouse on February 24, 2019, 11:12:35 PM
Also the code to Anna Friel's bra clasp.

When I said "up, down, up, down and so on" in front of Anna Friel, she told me "error.  Code invaild" and then told me to "get out, before I call the police".  Perhaps the code only applies to the North American version of Anna Friel?

St_Eddie

Quote from: mothman on February 24, 2019, 11:28:31 PM
...has the shine gone off his career?

Pegg should employee Mr Sheen as his agent.

rasta-spouse

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 25, 2019, 12:36:29 AM
Perhaps the code only applies to the North American version of Anna Friel?

I use a Anna Friel emulator, but if you're going with the real thing you'll need to discreetly put a boot disc in her handbag.

Mister Six

Pegg's upcoming work schedule isn't looking that brilliant, really. One shit-sounding indie comedy and a single episode of The Boys (playing the father of the character that was drawn to look like him). With the fourth Trek film looking increasingly unlikely, and no guarantee when/if he'll get to be in any more Miss Imps, has the shine gone off his career?

Given that they still managed to crowbar Bing Thames into MI3 or 4 or whichever one had no role for him beyond a cameo at the end, I reckon he'll be all right for income for a couple more years, and I'm sure his name carries enough weight that he could get a few more low-to-mid-budget films off the ground. That's even without another team-up with Edgar Wright, whose career seems pretty solid at the minute.

Plus, for a bloke who started out in UK sitcoms, two major supporting roles in massive Hollywood blockbuster franchises is pretty fucking shiny. I imagine he could retire right now and feel quite happy with his career.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

They're making two more Missions: Impossible in a row, so I assume Pegg will be in those at least.

I'm a bit surprised he's not taken advantage of the golden peak TV age to write and star in some mini series or suchlike.

Mister Six

I think he's quite sensibly wringing Hollywood for all it's worth. It's not like he's Forrest Whittaker or Glenn Close or another established Proper Actor who can flit between telly and film with relative ease. And he doesn't really have the kind of cachet that lends itself to fancy prestige dramas either. I'm sure he'll be able to return to TV (or Netflix or something) fairly easily if the film work dries up, so why rush?

Sebastian Cobb

Pegg embodies averageness I reckon. Spaced was great for its cultness but I think his film output has all been boilerplate wank. Obviously it's daft amounts of cash and big Hollywood circles you get to move in. But it's creatively and artistically shite.

Well yeah, as I said at the beginning of this thread, Pegg's films tend to be rather crummy, unless they're written by him or part of a megabucks Hollywood series. I expect everything else is just whatever he can get.

I was thinking more of his artistic ambitions. Plus, while he's not likely to be a Hollywood leading man at this point, I'd have thought six episodes of something on HBO or Netflix would generate further buzz around him without monopolising his time. He did appear in some miniseries with Jon Bernthal a few years ago and it seems like Netflix will chuck money at anyone, so it's not impossible.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 28, 2019, 11:12:22 PM
I was thinking more of his artistic ambitions. Plus, while he's not likely to be a Hollywood leading man at this point, I'd have thought six episodes of something on HBO or Netflix would generate further buzz around him without monopolising his time. He did appear in some miniseries with Jon Bernthal a few years ago and it seems like Netflix will chuck money at anyone, so it's not impossible.

He's the Danny Dyer of 'nerd stuff', typecasted and above it, but it's also his bread and butter and he's not quite good/clever enough to pull himself out of it.

Small Man Big Horse

Apparently he's in a thriller called Inheritance and for the role he's done one of those Hollywood body transformation things:

Looks like he's doing a codeine shit in that picture too.

magval

Anyone recognize that circular tattoo he has?

rasta-spouse

Quote from: magval on March 03, 2019, 07:34:57 AM
Anyone recognize that circular tattoo he has?

It's the ball from the 1981 England v Australia test match played at Headingley.

kalowski

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 02, 2019, 11:06:31 PM
Apparently he's in a thriller called Inheritance and for the role he's done one of those Hollywood body transformation things:

I could do a body transformation if someone painted over the top of a picture if me, too.

He looks cold, that's for sure.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 28, 2019, 11:16:11 PM
He's the Danny Dyer of 'nerd stuff', typecasted and above it, but it's also his bread and butter and he's not quite good/clever enough to pull himself out of it.
I don't know. He comes across quite intelligently in interviews and his scripts seem to have a fair bit of thought put into them. It does seem like he's comfortable in his little niche though.

This was on over the weekend.

The 'something is up with the school/If...' angle was good enough. Not followed through at all.

Monsters come in late. Nice that they're part of a folklore tradition, something like the Lambton worm.

But, essentially, Attack the Block, in a public school, on a CBBC budget. 4/10 seems about right.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 02, 2019, 11:06:31 PM

I know I'm responding to an old post but I've seen that film and it is fucking shit.