Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:44:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Absurd BBFC Cuts of the 80s and 90s

Started by SavageHedgehog, August 10, 2018, 06:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
True.  They were very iconic baps that made me very funny when I was about 5.

Sebastian Cobb

It's not so much a cut in Jamie's case as they reshot that scene for a TV version. I can't remember if they reshot or just cut out parts of the party guests scene (and aye, I noticed it in the cinema as well).

It seems a bit mad that they made two cuts as neither bits of nudity seemed particularly integral to the plot (a bit like Halle Berry being topless in Swordfish), not that I'm complaining too much.

Mister Six

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 17, 2018, 09:29:21 PM
It's not so much a cut in Jamie's case as they reshot that scene for a TV version. I can't remember if they reshot or just cut out parts of the party guests scene (and aye, I noticed it in the cinema as well).

It seems a bit mad that they made two cuts as neither bits of nudity seemed particularly integral to the plot (a bit like Halle Berry being topless in Swordfish), not that I'm complaining too much.

There was definitely a screening of Trading Places on UK TV sometime in the 90s that included both tit scenes. I remember because my parents let me sit through the initial Curtis de-braing scene, but sent me off to bed during the party scene. Boooooo!

I remember License to Kill being shown on(I think ITV) in 1994ish. It was on quite late and they showed a very long and bloody scene where Dario gets dropped into the lump-breaker. He seemed to hang on to 007's legs for ages(I remember Bond's trousers ripping as Dario desperately holds on) before finally dropping into the blades. Cut to a tide of blood and gore splattering all over the camera from between the rotors, then cut back to Dario's head disappearing into a cloud of red tinged coke dust. Then a whole load of crunching sounds as his body gets shredded. When I watched a rental video of LTK a few years later, the scene had been cut back to remove all the gore and just left the bit in which Dario falls in, screams and Bond shouts to Pam, "switch the bloody machine off". The scene with Krest in the decompression chamber was also cut as well. No exploding head either. Just the sound effects and a brief view of the porthole, coloured red.

SavageHedgehog

Yes, rather oddly the Bond series went from fifteen straight A/PG films (a few with cuts to the original releases, admittedly), straight up to a film which had to be significantly cut/toned down to avoid an 18 certificate, without any major change in the production team from the previous four films. If Cubby Broccoli's appearance on Wogan to promote the film is to be taken at face value, he was apparently disappointed it didn't get a PG!

I also remember seeing it, and taping it, on ITV (a few years later, in 1999) with more violence/gore than in the version I got on DVD in the mid-00s. I think the first DVD release was the American PG-13 cut, with more nastiness than the earlier British commercial releases, but still with some trims. They've since released a fully uncut version with all the stuff you might have seen on ITV and probably more.

PlanktonSideburns

I've mentioned on here before on a different account an amazing cut of terminator 2 that my mum made.

Me and my brother begged to see it when it appeared in the TV times, so my mum taped it, but Worried about some of the more violent scenes, she recorded over the really gory bits of the vhs to protect me and my brother's impressionable young minds, so for years, I only knew the terminator as a film where every time someone was about to be impaled or blown up, it would suddenly cut to either the eastenders or the coranation street omnibus. I recall the final fight with t1000 and arne suddenly transformed into dot cotton and pat butcher having a fag outside the laundry.

Did anyone else's mum do this?

Mister Six

Quote from: Drop Dead Fred on August 20, 2018, 08:33:46 PM
I remember License to Kill being shown on(I think ITV) in 1994ish. It was on quite late and they showed a very long and bloody scene where Dario gets dropped into the lump-breaker. He seemed to hang on to 007's legs for ages(I remember Bond's trousers ripping as Dario desperately holds on) before finally dropping into the blades. Cut to a tide of blood and gore splattering all over the camera from between the rotors, then cut back to Dario's head disappearing into a cloud of red tinged coke dust. Then a whole load of crunching sounds as his body gets shredded. When I watched a rental video of LTK a few years later, the scene had been cut back to remove all the gore and just left the bit in which Dario falls in, screams and Bond shouts to Pam, "switch the bloody machine off". The scene with Krest in the decompression chamber was also cut as well. No exploding head either. Just the sound effects and a brief view of the porthole, coloured red.

I remember being so particularly horrified by the exploding head. So much so that I've not watched the film since - despite happily consuming much more graphic fare today. How odd to discover that was a harder cut than is more generally available... And that it was screened on ITV!

idunnosomename

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 15, 2018, 02:17:37 PM
I think I'm right in saying that BBC1 sourced (perhaps even carried out) their own edits, whilst ITV used to show US TV versions.
I'd dispute this in that the different TV systems (PAL/NTSC) would I assume make it not as  straightforward as you'd think.

We never got the infamous "yippee-ki-yay Mister Falcon" in ITV, did we?

Spoon of Ploff

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on August 20, 2018, 10:37:01 PM
... I only knew the terminator as a film where every time someone was about to be impaled or blown up, it would suddenly cut to either the eastenders or the coranation street omnibus. I recall the final fight with t1000 and arne suddenly transformed into dot cotton and pat butcher having a fag outside the laundry...

I would pay some coins to see this cut.

buzby

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 21, 2018, 10:06:56 AM
I'd dispute this in that the different TV systems (PAL/NTSC) would I assume make it not as  straightforward as you'd think.

We never got the infamous "yippee-ki-yay Mister Falcon" in ITV, did we?

ITV use a mix of studio-produced TV versions and their own edits (and sometimes making more edits to studio TV versions). The version of Jurassic Park they show basically removes all the scenes of people being eaten by dinosaurs, and the scene where Laura Dern is being hunted by the velociraptors while turning the power back on and Samuel L. Jackson's severed arm falls on her. One of the most inexplicable ones is WarGames, where the version they show has every Christ, God damn. etc. cut out (which is almost certainly down to it being a US TV version).

The BBC do indeed make their own edits, but used to have a policy of not trying to cut adult-rated films so they could be shown pre-watershed (unlike ITV). BBC2 had a different policy again, and only very rarely made any additional edits to theatrical releases.

In most cases films were supplied to broadcasters as 35mm prints and telecine'd either for live broadcast or for recording to VT, so the video standard didn't matter (if it was supplied on VT then it would be run through a standards converter to produce a PAL copy, with a slight loss of image quality).

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on August 21, 2018, 10:33:54 AM
I would pay some coins to see this cut.

VERY small chance that my mum still has it - though I think we rinsed it hard as kids so it might be a bit distorted now - will check next time I'm down, could post it to you

SavageHedgehog

I taped A Shock to the System off the Beeb during the terrifying countdown that was December 1999. A few years later I watched an ex-rental copy fished out of a charity shop bin with some slightly more language-sensitive relatives, and was surprised to find it was somewhat more profane than the version the Beeb aired. I was surprised because it had aired in a timeslot where shows like Stella Street were already being allowed to swear up a storm, although maybe that was a BBC1 vs BBC2 thing? IIRC they would have been dubs rather than full cuts.

PowerButchi

I've mentioned on here before on a different account an amazing cut of terminator 2 that my mum made.

Me and my brother begged to see it when it appeared in the TV times, so my mum taped it, but Worried about some of the more violent scenes, she recorded over the really gory bits of the vhs to protect me and my brother's impressionable young minds, so for years, I only knew the terminator as a film where every time someone was about to be impaled or blown up, it would suddenly cut to either the eastenders or the coranation street omnibus. I recall the final fight with t1000 and arne suddenly transformed into dot cotton and pat butcher having a fag outside the laundry.

My dad had a 9th generation vhs of Deep Throat that cut to news of Dean Saunders scoring earlier that day on the ITN news during one bit.

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on August 20, 2018, 10:11:38 PM
Yes, rather oddly the Bond series went from fifteen straight A/PG films (a few with cuts to the original releases, admittedly), straight up to a film which had to be significantly cut/toned down to avoid an 18 certificate, without any major change in the production team from the previous four films. If Cubby Broccoli's appearance on Wogan to promote the film is to be taken at face value, he was apparently disappointed it didn't get a PG!

I also remember seeing it, and taping it, on ITV (a few years later, in 1999) with more violence/gore than in the version I got on DVD in the mid-00s. I think the first DVD release was the American PG-13 cut, with more nastiness than the earlier British commercial releases, but still with some trims. They've since released a fully uncut version with all the stuff you might have seen on ITV and probably more.

The fact that it ended up uncut on ITV just tells you how pointless the censorship of mainstream films was during the Ferman era.  It was the same with Goldeneye and Tomorrow Never Dies ; the former pissed me off at the time, because the VHS that I had watched about 100 times at that point, made me feel like I was being short changed and with the former, it had been cut for both theatrical and video release, but completely uncut on the channel they call Three.  Like I said, a bit pointless when all is said and done.  Remember there being some mild controversey over Tomorrow Never Dies, because like Evil Dead II, there was a "kicking a man when he's down" shot.  I can remember at least one review at the time criticising it for being too thugish for James Bond, despite the fact that the character has a reputation for killing people in callous ways.

idunnosomename

Quote from: buzby on August 21, 2018, 11:27:39 AM
ITV use a mix of studio-produced TV versions and their own edits (and sometimes making more edits to studio TV versions). The version of Jurassic Park they show basically removes all the scenes of people being eaten by dinosaurs, and the scene where Laura Dern is being hunted by the velociraptors while turning the power back on and Samuel L. Jackson's severed arm falls on her. One of the most inexplicable ones is WarGames, where the version they show has every Christ, God damn. etc. cut out (which is almost certainly down to it being a US TV version).

The BBC do indeed make their own edits, but used to have a policy of not trying to cut adult-rated films so they could be shown pre-watershed (unlike ITV). BBC2 had a different policy again, and only very rarely made any additional edits to theatrical releases.

In most cases films were supplied to broadcasters as 35mm prints and telecine'd either for live broadcast or for recording to VT, so the video standard didn't matter (if it was supplied on VT then it would be run through a standards converter to produce a PAL copy, with a slight loss of image quality).

Ok all good to know.

What is Jurassic Park without Gennaro being eaten off the toilet? The "oh Mr Arnold" moment is fucking bizarre though. it's low-budget slasher ham. Where did the arm even come from? So yeah cut that out for the kiddies I'm not arsed.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 22, 2018, 09:13:43 PMThe "oh Mr Arnold" moment is fucking bizarre though. it's low-budget slasher ham. Where did the arm even come from?.
If you look at the previous scenes it was originally under his shoulder. I think it ends up getting detached from there at some point, probably during his death or some other traumatic event off-screen.

Epic Bisto

Why didn't this cut make it onto the bluray? I'll just have to assume that the BBC (and Pete Beale's agent) were charging too much. ITV would've been alright with it being a commercial network an' all. The nuclear annihilation scene would've been a lot better if it cut to Jim McDonald making wisecracks behind the bar, so it is.

Glebe

Watching Jaws on ITV4 last night, it seemed like they cut Quint with all blood in his mouth when he's getting eaten by the jaws.

Replies From View

Quote from: Glebe on August 24, 2018, 02:57:02 AM
Watching Jaws on ITV4 last night, it seemed like they cut Quint with all blood in his mouth when he's getting eaten by the jaws.

Because when a shark eats a man, it is the shark that should have blood in its mouth.  The blood in the man's mouth was an embarrassing continuity error.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Replies From View on August 24, 2018, 01:03:18 PMBecause when a shark eats a man, it is the shark that should have blood in its mouth.  The blood in the man's mouth was an embarrassing continuity error.

There's a similar blood related goof when Alex is eaten and urinates all over, the urine is wrongly coloured blood-red when most human urine is a yellow/amber colour.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Drop Dead Fred on August 20, 2018, 08:33:46 PM
(I remember Bond's trousers ripping as Dario desperately holds on)

For some reason, that's really made me laugh.

Shit Good Nose

Interesting - I think Jaws is the one film I don't think I've ever seen cut on TV.  Regardless of which channel was showing it and even if it's on late afternoon/early evening (it always used to be 7pm when BBC1 showed it), it's always had all the gore and swearing intact.  It's always baffled me how they've let Jaws get away with it but taken the scissors to much milder films.

buzby

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 24, 2018, 04:16:31 PM
Interesting - I think Jaws is the one film I don't think I've ever seen cut on TV.  Regardless of which channel was showing it and even if it's on late afternoon/early evening (it always used to be 7pm when BBC1 showed it), it's always had all the gore and swearing intact.  It's always baffled me how they've let Jaws get away with it but taken the scissors to much milder films.

I think ITV have always shown the TV cut of it (also missing is the sinking severed leg, and has most of the swearing cut out including cutting the end off Brody's 'Smile you son of a bitch' line). They have even shown it on weekend afternoons sometimes. As I said in my previous post, the BBC had a policy of not cutting films if possible, even if it meant having to move it to a later timeslot.

it's on ITV4 again tomorrow night so I might give it a watch to see what version they are using.

The TV edit of Brody's 'son of a bitch' line apparently even managed to make it onto the 30th anniversary DVD version.

Glebe

Quote from: buzby on August 24, 2018, 09:44:22 PMI think ITV have always shown the TV cut of it (also missing is the sinking severed leg, and has most of the swearing cut out including cutting the end off Brody's 'Smile you son of a bitch' line).

I think the leg was in the ITV4 showing the other night.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: buzby on August 24, 2018, 09:44:22 PM
I think ITV have always shown the TV cut of it

When it was on ITV over christmas, it was fully uncut.  Although, if memory serves, that was an 8pm start, so close to watershed.

The TV edit of Brody's 'son of a bitch' line apparently even managed to make it onto the 30th anniversary DVD version.

I've just checked both my region 1 and region 2 discs and the line is normal.  Early batch that was recalled perhaps?  Could be worth a lot of money now if so.

buzby

Just finished watching it, I can confirm that Quint's death scene ended with the blood spurting out of his mouth as per the theatrical version (though not as much blood as the shot in the blooper reel). Everything else about the film seemed to match the theatrical release too, apart from.....
Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 25, 2018, 04:20:30 PM
When it was on ITV over christmas, it was fully uncut.  Although, if memory serves, that was an 8pm start, so close to watershed.

I've just checked both my region 1 and region 2 discs and the line is normal.  Early batch that was recalled perhaps?  Could be worth a lot of money now if so.
The version just shown on ITV did have 'bitch' cut off the end of Brody's line. It seems that on the original mono soundtrack it was more audible (and can be heard in the clip used in the original 1995 'Making of Jaws documentary),  Apparently when they did the surround mix for the DVD release in 2000 they replaced a lot of the sound effects with new ones, and that is where 'bitch' got overdubbed by the new gunshot (the new mix also made Brody's 'Show me the tank' and 'Blow up' lines more audible). That's the version that ITV must have.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: buzby on August 26, 2018, 02:14:03 AM
Apparently when they did the surround mix for the DVD release in 2000 they replaced a lot of the sound effects with new ones, and that is where 'bitch' got overdubbed by the new gunshot (the new mix also made Brody's 'Show me the tank' and 'Blow up' lines more audible). That's the version that ITV must have.

That would be the 25th anniversary release - just checked my DVD (I only have the region 1 version of that release, though), and, whilst the gunshot is louder, you can still just about hear him say "bitch".  As that release only has the dolby digital 5.1 mix and not the original mono soundtrack, it might just be that it's only properly audible if you have a proper 5.1 set-up and, with anything less, it just gets lost a bit?  Unfortunately I don't have a proper set-up, so I can't test the theory.

Spoon of Ploff

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on August 21, 2018, 12:41:53 PM
VERY small chance that my mum still has it - though I think we rinsed it hard as kids so it might be a bit distorted now - will check next time I'm down, could post it to you

lets do this!

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Glebe on August 25, 2018, 02:17:27 AM
I think the leg was in the ITV4 showing the other night.

Equally I have vivid memories of either its premiere in 1981 or a repeat a couple of years later, both ITV, and the sinking leg was very much the one thing that stuck in my head.

St_Eddie

Quote from: buzby on August 26, 2018, 02:14:03 AM
...the new mix also made Brody's 'Show me the tank' and 'Blow up' lines more audible...

Stop getting Jaws wrong!  The lines are "show me the money" and "blow me" respectively.