Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:21:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Disappointing "mystery reveals" if they got revealed

Started by Clownbaby, August 11, 2018, 11:06:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paruses

My reading of that is that it wasn't a mystery but an open secret and Croft seemed surprised that Lavender would even have to ask.

Hobo With A Shit Pun

There's only one way to get to the truth about Hillary Briss's sources - Industrial espionage. We need to send someone in to infiltrate his supply chain, and report back on the meats they find.

We need a mohel in his organisation.

I always cheer to mention of Amanda With The Weird Eyes in Ideal. And just discovered that typing that phrase into google gets you pictures of Amanda Seyfried ...

Bad Ambassador

I remember the group being asked if the special stuff was human flesh and their response was 'oh, it's so much worse than that'. But then on the Big Breakfast Gatiss said it was Simon Groom and Goldie.

Clownbaby

Seems like they haven't settled on anything yet then

kidsick5000

Quote from: Andy147 on August 12, 2018, 10:23:25 PM
The twist being that in It Ain't Half Hot Mum Parkins isn't the Sergeant Major's son; the Sergeant Major had had an affair with his mother and wrongly thinks he's his son.

Really?

thenoise

Quote from: olliebean on August 12, 2018, 09:24:35 PM
Bloody hell, is it? That seems very short. I'm sure most of the women I've met have been taller than that.

Stats are skewed by the fact that every woman over 70 is about 4 foot nothing.

I never noticed that Suze/Winkleman was that tall, I just assumed that she once had a younger or shorter friend called Suze and the name stuck.  My mum is called 'Big ***' by my cousins, because of her older sister with the same name (even though my mum was far taller and heavier than her)

JesusAndYourBush

How odd.  I'm sure I remember Seeing Maris in lots of episodes, she had quite a severe looking goth type appearance.  However I think the Mandela effect is a load of old toss so I must be thinking of some other show.  It must be about 20 years since I saw an episode of Frasier.

Clownbaby

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on August 13, 2018, 04:35:40 PM
How odd.  I'm sure I remember Seeing Maris in lots of episodes, she had quite a severe looking goth type appearance.  However I think the Mandela effect is a load of old toss so I must be thinking of some other show.  It must be about 20 years since I saw an episode of Frasier.

Was that not Lilith? You definitely don't see Maris ever but Lilith could fit that description cause she wore a lot of black and had pale skin, dark lipstick

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Clownbaby on August 13, 2018, 04:36:39 PM
Was that not Lilith? You definitely don't see Maris ever but Lilith could fit that description cause she wore a lot of black and had pale skin, dark lipstick

After Google-Imaging, yes that's almost certainly her.  Problem solved!  As I said, I've not seen the show in 20 years plus I was never a regular viewer anyway (catching the show if it was on but not going out of my way to make sure I saw it. etc...)

(If only all the posts on r/MandelaEffect could be sorted out so swiftly and rationally!)

Ambient Sheep

re. Hilary Briss' "special stuff", it's been discussed on here before over the years and there's basically two schools of thought:

(WARNING, neither is nice and the second is downright stomach-turning.)

1. It is indeed discarded foreskins from infant circumcisions as per the character's surname.  However that doesn't explain the "oh no, it's much worse than that" comment, although of course that could have been tongue-in-cheek to put people off the scent.

2. It's something along the lines of meat from the aborted foetuses of human-cattle hybrids (from that scene where Briss is caught in bed with a calf or whatever it was... please excuse any inaccuracies as I was never a major LoG-watcher).

My own personal suspicion, for what very little it's worth, is that it started out as #1 but when people quickly sussed it they upped the ante and rewrote it as #2.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on August 13, 2018, 09:05:51 PM
re. Hilary Briss' "special stuff", it's been discussed on here before over the years and there's basically two schools of thought:

(WARNING, neither is nice and the second is downright stomach-turning.)

1. It is indeed discarded foreskins from infant circumcisions as per the character's surname.  However that doesn't explain the "oh no, it's much worse than that" comment, although of course that could have been tongue-in-cheek to put people off the scent.

2. It's something along the lines of meat from the aborted foetuses of human-cattle hybrids (from that scene where Briss is caught in bed with a calf or whatever it was... please excuse any inaccuracies as I was never a major LoG-watcher).

My own personal suspicion, for what very little it's worth, is that it started out as #1 but when people quickly sussed it they upped the ante and rewrote it as #2.

It was almost definitely an analogy to the blizzard of cocaine usage in the 1990s; what with the all the unexpected nosebleed symptoms.

Mark X

Back to the original topic - imagine seeing inside Jim's house in Friday Night Dinner. Luckily, Robert Popper should be able to resist any temptation there.

Seinfeld got a little bit less special when we got the occasional glimpse inside Kramer's apartment.

Utter Shit

I imagine the more you saw of Jim's life, the more bleak and depressing it would be. It's alright when he's doing his silly voice and mixing up the brother's names, not so much when you see him at home in a room filled to knee-high with plastic bags full of his decaying shit.

Porter Dimi

Quote from: Utter Shit on August 13, 2018, 10:49:48 PM
I imagine the more you saw of Jim's life, the more bleak and depressing it would be. It's alright when he's doing his silly voice and mixing up the brother's names, not so much when you see him at home in a room filled to knee-high with plastic bags full of his decaying shit.

Yeah. It was already bad enough when his dog dies in the final episode of the most recent series, until he blithely remarks that he'll just get another one.

I guess the only way it wouldn't be bleak and depressing is if it was revealed that Jim acted that way to get sympathy from people (Jackie in particular), but that might be a bit of a cop-out.

Utter Shit

I think there was some discussion of whether it was 'ok' to laugh at Jim in the most recent Friday Night Dinner thread - I do wonder if crude stereotypes of non-specific weirdos might be the next element of comedy that becomes unacceptable, as people become more enlightened (or excessively PC, depending on your perspective)...there's definitely an argument that a character like Jim is essentially suffering from some sort of mental illness, and so laughing at his behaviour is dodgy ground. Not one that I necessarily agree with - as I think I said at the time, there are elements of Jim's life that suggest he is just a socially-awkward oddball rather than unwell, for example the reveal that he's fluent in Chinese and goes on occasional dates - but I can at least see where that argument is coming from. I've seen some people make similar criticisms of Frank Spencer in recent years, are there any other characters that have been re-interpreted in a modern light and seen as offensive?

olliebean

I think it was me who raised the issue in that thread, based on Jim clearly not understanding certain things that one would expect an adult without a learning disorder to understand - the example that prompted me to comment on it was him thinking that the ventriloquist's doll was an animate being.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Replies From View on August 12, 2018, 11:50:35 AM
Any kind of prequel to Doctor Who, eg The Doctor and the Master going through the Gallifrey education system together. 

Edit:  oh, this is the comedy forum, not TV and film more generally.  I misunderstood.

I think it still belongs here, because the sequences with the Doctor being chided by Borusa in The Deadly Assassin are pure comedy:

QuoteCardinal Borusa: As I believe I told you long ago, Doctor, you will never amount to anything in the galaxy while you retain your propensity for vulgar facetiousness.
Doctor Who: Yes, sir. You said that many times, sir. May I go, sir?
Cardinal Borusa: Certainly you may, preferably with the utmost expedition. Perhaps you will see that the transduction barriers are raised, Castellan.
Castellan Spandrell: Yes, sir.
Cardinal Borusa: Oh, Doctor?
Doctor Who: Sir?
Cardinal Borusa: Nine out of ten.
Doctor Who: [chuckles] Oh! Thank you, sir.

And I agree it's a disappointment that all of the mystery of the character and his origins are seemingly gone in this instant, turns out he's just another naughty schoolboy.

Quote from: Replies From View on August 12, 2018, 11:50:35 AM
Any kind of prequel to Doctor Who, eg The Doctor and the Master going through the Gallifrey education system together. 

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on August 14, 2018, 08:41:54 PM
the sequences with the Doctor being chided by Borusa in The Deadly Assassin are pure comedy:

And I agree it's a disappointment that all of the mystery of the character and his origins are seemingly gone in this instant, turns out he's just another naughty schoolboy.

They demystified the Master, by implying his badness was due to some sort of psychological damage from that initiation ceremony of looking into that void as a child.

Shaky

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on August 14, 2018, 08:41:54 PM
I think it still belongs here, because the sequences with the Doctor being chided by Borusa in The Deadly Assassin are pure comedy:

I have to disagree with this. There's still a hell of a lot of stuff we don't know about his background but the fact that's the charater is essentially an every-(wo)man... er, Timelord is a key part of the character. I certainly prefer a couple of off-hand remarks about his/her childhood to the aborted Cartmel masterplan where they would've elevated the Doctor to God status. Ditto all the times Russell T Davies upped the Superhero/Deity aspect.

Same with the Master - I had more of a problem with how broadly Simm played him. That, to me, took away from the character, not the fact he was once a scared boy.

SteveDave

The fishing trip with Uncle Bryn and Jason in "Gavin And Stacey" was a unspoken mystery in the first series but then became some weird "defying the laws of gravity"/soup/legal in Wales thing in subsequent ones.

I always thought Jason had caught Bryn wanking and Bryn thought that was why Jason was gay.

neveragain

One Foot In The Grave when they revealed Mr Swainey's mother was actually alive rather than an unspoken Psycho situation.

St_Eddie

Quote from: neveragain on August 15, 2018, 10:38:24 AM
One Foot In The Grave when they revealed Mr Swainey's mother was actually alive rather than an unspoken Psycho situation.

Ah, yes.  Good shout.  That was one of the few disappointments in one of my favourite sitcoms of all time.

Jockice

Quote from: thenoise on August 13, 2018, 01:37:21 PM

I never noticed that Suze/Winkleman was that tall, I just assumed that she once had a younger or shorter friend called Suze and the name stuck.  My mum is called 'Big ***' by my cousins, because of her older sister with the same name (even though my mum was far taller and heavier than her)

A cousin of mine in Scotland has a mate nicknamed Wee Man despite the fact he's actually one of the tallest of that friendship group. It's not even an ironic Curly Watts-type nickname, he's been called it since they were kids when he was one of the last to develop. They're all in their early 50s now.

buttgammon

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 15, 2018, 05:30:37 PM
Ah, yes.  Good shout.  That was one of the few disappointments in one of my favourite sitcoms of all time.

It's worth it for the bit where we get to see her arcane way of communicating with her son, via an elaborate series of bangs on the floor, blows on a whistle and toots of a horn.

St_Eddie

Quote from: buttgammon on August 15, 2018, 08:04:03 PM
It's worth it for the bit where we get to see her arcane way of communicating with her son, via an elaborate series of bangs on the floor, blows on a whistle and toots of a horn.

It's a great gag but in truth, I'd have sooner maintained the Norman Bates vibe.

Clownbaby

Kramer's mam was a bit disappointing eh

Doesn't seem right to see what spawned that lad

Andy147

Quote from: kidsick5000 on August 13, 2018, 12:33:17 PM
Really?

According to the IMDB synopsis of the episode "It's a Wise Child": "Rangi gets blood samples from the sergeant major and the gunner,proving that the lad is not Williams' son. Parkin is relieved but the men realise that Williams must continue to believe Parkin is his son to keep him in the concert party and stop them from being posted up country. They therefore tinker with the samples to keep Williams in blissful ignorance of the truth."

Andy147

Quote from: thenoise on August 13, 2018, 01:37:21 PM

Your mum has an older sister with the same name?

thenoise

Quote from: Andy147 on August 16, 2018, 12:28:22 AM
Your mum has an older sister with the same name?

Yeah - it's her half sister, from her mother's first marriage. Her other half sister gave her daughter the same name. Her father has the same name as me.