Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:13:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Defining episodes of great comedy series

Started by Nice Relaxing Poo, August 11, 2018, 03:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Bottom- Culture

For me this has all the elements of what made Bottom a great show. The squalidness, boredom and frustration of the lives of Richie and Eddie, lots of good gags visual as well as verbal and fuck loads of antagonism leading to what is the best fight in any of the series they were in together.

alan nagsworth

"Marooned" is the defining episode of Red Dwarf, I think. So much desolation, so much resignation, so much one-to-one connection between two characters who often can't stand one another but find themselves trapped together for the rest of their (well, Lister's) life. The last known copies of defining works of human literature chucked on the fire "so you can keep your mitts warm for five minutes", eating the dog food, talking about how they lost their virginity, and of course Lister pretending to burn his guitar - and the reset button of Rimmer's contempt being hit right at the end when he finds out. It's one of my favourite episodes of anything, and it's so bloody funny.

bgmnts

Quote from: alan nagsworth on August 11, 2018, 05:40:46 PM
"Marooned" is the defining episode of Red Dwarf, I think. So much desolation, so much resignation, so much one-to-one connection between two characters who often can't stand one another but find themselves trapped together for the rest of their (well, Lister's) life. The last known copies of defining works of human literature chucked on the fire "so you can keep your mitts warm for five minutes", eating the dog food, talking about how they lost their virginity, and of course Lister pretending to burn his guitar - and the reset button of Rimmer's contempt being hit right at the end when he finds out. It's one of my favourite episodes of anything, and it's so bloody funny.

Good shout.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on August 11, 2018, 03:52:54 PM
Bottom- Culture

For me this has all the elements of what made Bottom a great show. The squalidness, boredom and frustration of the lives of Richie and Eddie, lots of good gags visual as well as verbal and fuck loads of antagonism leading to what is the best fight in any of the series they were in together.

I've always liked how Culture has maybe the only bit in Bottom where Eddie admits to having genuine affection for Richie, when he says 'That's what I like about you Richie.. you're completely insane'. Of course this is immediate balanced out (as it should be for comedic reasons) by Richie being his most childishly obnoxious during the chess game, completely destroying the good will, but it's a nice little moment all the same. At that instant where they're sitting down to begin their absurd makeshift chess game, it's like they truly have managed to transcend their everyday squalor through their own insane invention.

alan nagsworth

I'd be interested to see what people think is the defining episode of The Simpsons. "Marge vs. The Monorail" often hits the top of fan polls as being the best episode, and I'll concede that for wall-to-wall gags, they'd be right. For me, though, and for any cunt with half a brain, The Simpsons isn't just about jokes. It's also about the heart of the working class family struggle, and the humanity within. In that regard, I'd have to either suggest "Bart Gets An F", or my all-time favourite, "Last Exit to Springfield".

"Bart Gets An F" is particularly defining as the show had come under a lot of fire during its first season for portraying Bart as a hellion and a bad role model for America's youth. This episode is the first episode of the second season, starting with a typical arc of Bart not giving a shit about his education, and moving into a deeper analysis of the character as we learn from the school psychiatrist that Bart is an underachiever doomed to repeat the fourth grade if he doesn't improve. His struggle, with his short attention span, and during the beautifully animated long-pan snow day scene, becomes more and more harrowing - the bit where he's slapping himself over and over as Lisa watches in silence from his doorway is genuinely fucking brutal and brilliant - and when he hears he's failed again, it's heart-breaking. They pay-off when he scrapes a pass when comparing his plight to that of George Washington is all the more triumphant and beautiful for it, too, and I think it set an extremely high benchmark for the way the show would grow in the following "golden" years.

"Last Exit" is undoubtedly the greatest for me, though, as not only is it very bloody funny for the duration, it also tells a classic tale of the working stiff rallying a union against his tyrannous employer. Both Homer and Burns are fantastic throughout, and this is probably Burns at his most callous, without any of the absurdity of his other evildoings, like blocking out the sun, for example. "Goodbye, Springfield. From Hell's heart, I stab at thee!", shutting off the town's power after going through all that strict security protocol, leading him into that dingy little shack and booting that dog in the face. And I think the scene where the workers join hands and sing Lisa's protest song, as Burns glowers from on high in a pitch-perfect pastiche of the Grinch is one of the best scenes in the show's entire history. Fucking work of art, that is.

Shit Good Nose

The best Simpsons episode is obviously 22 Short Films About Springfield.

alan nagsworth

look just because it's got steamed hams in it doesn't make it the best

Shit Good Nose

There's SO much more about that episode than just steamed hams.

Gorman's ear guards.

Smithers getting stung in the eye.  And then they take Monty.

Dr Nick's malpractice hearing.

Barney's bar tab bill.

Moe's panic room.

When Bee Man gets home.

"DOUGHNUTS...I GOT DOUGHNUTS"

Cletus the Slack Jawed Yokel.

Milhouse's awkward toilet break.

Tall man in tiny car.

Best episode of The Simpsons ever.

biggytitbo

Only fools and horses is a tough one -  Losing streak, Friday the 14th, Strained relations, danger uxd? A touch of glass has the best moment, but I don't think it's the best episode. I'm going to have to go with To Hull and Back, a sitcom special that happens to be the best British comedy films of the 80s.

buttgammon

Last Exit to Springfield is a good shout with The Simpsons. Cape Fear is my personal favourite, but it's too wrapped up in the Sideshow Bob narrative to define the programme per se. I love 22 Short Films About Springfield too, but it's too much of an outlier in the format to count here.

Shit Good Nose

As some of you know my favourite sit-com of all time is Mr Don & Mr George, and I think the last episode - This Is This, Goodbye Is Goodbye - is especially corking, particularly the last minute where there are punchlines you didn't even know were being set up.

BeardFaceMan

The Bambi episode of the Young Ones.  Typifies everything that was great about it, funny as fuck, anarchic, surreal, great music, iconic moments, cutaways, great guest stars, it has the lot.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 11, 2018, 08:00:32 PM
As some of you know my favourite sit-com of all time is Mr Don & Mr George, and I think the last episode - This Is This, Goodbye Is Goodbye - is especially corking, particularly the last minute where there are punchlines you didn't even know were being set up.

So hard to choose a favourite,  one of the very best sitcoms ever. Really, give it a go if you havent, dear reader, its fucking ace. I have a soft spot for the first episode though, for the darts jokes and for the extended Status Quo conversation.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 11, 2018, 08:00:32 PM

I'd never even heard of this series so I cued up episode 2 on Youtube and the discussion about favourite beaches has already got me hooked. Cheers for the tip.

Gulftastic

How about League Of Gentlemen?  I'm not sure, but the definitive one should have, if possible, Legz Akimbo, Les McQueen, Pauline and Ross and maybe some Geoff stuff.

Does anyone with more knowledge of what was in what episode have an opinion?

Absorb the anus burn

"Love and Death" from One Foot In The Grave.... Series 2 always screams to me of being an outstanding episode of an outstanding series.

Victor and Margaret go to stay with 'old friends' Steven Lewis and Georgina Hale (Vince and April) in a crummy seaside boarding house. It contains all the elements that made this series so fucking fantastic.

- the midgies attacking Victor the bathroom.
- the old dear with the Joy Of Sex book on the train.
- Victor's erotic puzzle answers.
- Margaret shoving Vince off the pier.
- a beer glass getting glued to Victor's Head.
- the breakfast tray and April wig fire.
- Vince chatting to his tomatoes.
- April's wig on fire.
- Victor's headstone.
- Victor and Margaret both thinking they've cheated on the other.

(and it's shot on video tape, in front of a studio, with filmed inserts, and a classic farce structure with a great sulty, common-as-muck performance from Georgina Hale).

It's perfect.

New Jack

Simpsons is probably that one where Homer skips church or maybe Stonecutters as it features more of the township

Deep Space Homer is one of the best but its hardly typical Springfield. Best isn't definitive

idunnosomename

See The Beast in the Cage probably isn't an ordinary OFitG episode but somehow it sums up the series best for me

Steptoes_Son

Quote from: New Jack on August 11, 2018, 09:27:17 PM
Simpsons is probably that one where Homer skips church or maybe Stonecutters as it features more of the township

Deep Space Homer is one of the best but its hardly typical Springfield. Best isn't definitive

Definitive not best - I think a case could be made for dog of death from season 3 as the definitive simpsons. The equal balance of humour and the struggles of the american family.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on August 11, 2018, 09:24:00 PM
"Love and Death" from One Foot In The Grave.... Series 2 always screams to me of being an outstanding episode of an outstanding series.

Victor and Margaret go to stay with 'old friends' Steven Lewis and Georgina Hale (Vince and April) in a crummy seaside boarding house. It contains all the elements that made this series so fucking fantastic.

- the midgies attacking Victor the bathroom.
- the old dear with the Joy Of Sex book on the train.
- Victor's erotic puzzle answers.
- Margaret shoving Vince off the pier.
- a beer glass getting glued to Victor's Head.
- the breakfast tray and April wig fire.
- Vince chatting to his tomatoes.
- April's wig on fire.
- Victor's headstone.
- Victor and Margaret both thinking they've cheated on the other.

(and it's shot on video tape, in front of a studio, with filmed inserts, and a classic farce structure with a great sulty, common-as-muck performance from Georgina Hale).

It's perfect.

It's my definitive episode to, I love it more than any other episode, despite the incredibly stiff competition. So many great moments - 'Well I didn't imagine it had come out of my bottom', remains a big favourite all these years.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: New Jack on August 11, 2018, 09:27:17 PM

Homer the Vigilante?

Fawlty Towers - The Kipper and the Corpse

Python - the banned one with the Undertakers' Sketch.

mojo filters

The Cheever Letters - Seinfeld, possibly the best crafted and written episode of the show.

The Drumhead - Star Trek TNG, gave new depth and gravitas to key characters, showed that a non Holodeck bottle episode done for budget reasons could be one of the best.

TheMonk

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on August 12, 2018, 12:13:07 AM
Fawlty Towers - The Kipper and the Corpse

Python - the banned one with the Undertakers' Sketch.
Fawlty Towers not sure I agree. I would think it would be Gourmet Night, The Germans or Basil The Rat. Kipper And The Corpse is my favourite though.

mojo filters

Quote from: mojo filters on August 12, 2018, 09:29:58 AMThe Drumhead - Star Trek TNG, gave new depth and gravitas to key characters, showed that a non Holodeck bottle episode done for budget reasons could be one of the best.

Sorry, just realised I lost my train of thought replying to a thread specifically about comedy shows. I wasn't trying to be smart or ironic!

I can't remember the name, but the Snook / Clinton episode of South Park was one of the best.

Also recently the cell phone/ North Korea / Trump episode in the last series was one of their best ever!

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 11, 2018, 11:25:52 PM
Homer the Vigilante?

What? It's a good episode, but it's hardly defining. It's just a simple plot with a throwaway character. On that note, I've also never understood the somewhat fickle nature of people who love "You Only Move Twice" so much. Again, a good episode, but Hank Scorpio is really quite an unremarkable character, and that episode wouldn't be anywhere near even my top 20 Simps eps in terms of how funny it is.

If a defining Simpsons episode is one that contains more of Springfield as a whole then I would have to say "Bart's Comet", again because it has such heart to it. The bomb shelter scenes, and Ned - who is arguably one of the greatest characters - accepting death and singing Que Sera, Sera atop the hill are fucking beautiful. Also:

magval

Quote from: alan nagsworth on August 12, 2018, 04:35:55 PM
Again, a good episode, but Hank Scorpio is really quite an unremarkable character

He's an excellent character with great lines expertly performed.

Sebastian Cobb

Homer the Vigilante involves a lot of Springfield's characters.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 12, 2018, 05:30:38 PM
Homer the Vigilante involves a lot of Springfield's characters.

and that's good is it

rue the polywhirl

22 Short Films About Springfield cannot be a defining episode of the series because at best it is a diversionary episode exploring some of the outlier characters of the show. As a pure quality example can't look past Last Exit To Springfield or Bart The Daredevil for most episode containing most replayed clip. Kill The Alligator And Run is a defining episode in the opposite direction but I actually have a really big soft spot for it. Call it the defining episode of the Mike Scully Era.