Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:35:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The X Files

Started by Clownbaby, August 11, 2018, 08:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clownbaby

I'm rewatching The X Files at the moment. Just like the first time round, I find the lore and governmenty/conspiracy episodes a bit of a drag but I like all the monster of the week episodes. Can't stop thinking though how David Duchovny looks like a cross between Richard Gere and... Jamie Oliver.

Also I know seasons 8 and 9 got a lot of shit at the time didn't they? Im fine with them because of Robert Patrick. I like his character and he freshened things up for the last (original) seasons. I tried with series 10+ but fucking hell I was bored. Maybe I need to give th another chance.

Sebastian Cobb

I think on balance my favourite is the William Gibson episode Killswitch (S5E11).

I bought the box set ages ago but only got to around series 3, should pick it up again especially since the HD remasters are on prime video.

I forget how many famous actors appear in it as children Giovanni Ribisi, Jack Black and Jewel Staite to name a few.

Bazooka

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 11, 2018, 08:25:01 PM
I think on balance my favourite is the William Gibson episode Killswitch (S5E11).

I bought the box set ages ago but only got to around series 3, should pick it up again especially since the HD remasters are on prime video.

I forget how many famous actors appear in it as children Giovanni Ribisi, Jack Black and Jewel Staite to name a few.

You only watched to series 3 but your favourite episode is in series 5? That is an X-File in itself.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Bazooka on August 12, 2018, 02:31:11 AM
You only watched to series 3 but your favourite episode is in series 5? That is an X-File in itself.

I've seen them when they were on the telly?

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 12, 2018, 03:55:07 AM
I've seen them when they were on the telly?

Yeesh, turned out to be a weather balloon after all.

mojo filters

I feel old having to explain to the young folks how amazing and innovative X Files was in it's heyday. A bit like having to explain how the TV adaptation of Buffy broke new ground in representation of female empowerment.

As big of an X Files fan as I am, I sometimes wish Chris Carter had wrapped up on a high before S9. The less said about the reboot, then better...

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: mojo filters on August 12, 2018, 09:01:54 AM
I feel old having to explain to the young folks how amazing and innovative X Files was in it's heyday.

It's really a thing of it's time isn't it? That long decade between the fall of the Berlin wall and the fall of the Twin Towers where paranoia turned inwards towards the American government a little.

mojo filters

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 12, 2018, 10:37:51 AM
It's really a thing of it's time isn't it? That long decade between the fall of the Berlin wall and the fall of the Twin Towers where paranoia turned inwards towards the American government a little.

Very much of its time. I suspect the influence of that show has produced so many modern shows of varying quality and expansive genres - watching it now for the first time would not produce the same experience created originally, back in the day.

BlodwynPig