Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:35:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The games sequels you want but will never get

Started by Bazooka, August 12, 2018, 05:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

The original incarnations were so long ago now that I can't imagine there will be another instalment, but I find it completely mad that it's been 22 years since the critically-acclaimed and incredibly popular Destruction Derby 2 was released (a vast improvement on the already very good original), with not so much as a rumour of a remake. That game was such ridiculously good fun, would be ripe for a remake given the improvement in graphics and car mechanics in the intervening years, and remains more or less unique - I know there are plenty of games like GTA where car wear and tear are part of the game, but AFAIA there isn't an equivalent of Destruction Derby around where the aim of the game is to either incapacitate your rivals in order to win a race, or destroy them completely in the free-for-all matches.

Zetetic

New Jack

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on August 14, 2018, 03:08:26 PM
I guess they decided that Doom would be the medieval hellscape one and pushed Quake in a more straightforward sci-fi direction. That said, they still don't seem that distinct to me - the Strogg have a bit of the cyber demon about them.

I think in the PC Gamer review back in the day (I had a scan or a book of reviews somwhere) they called Quake 2 "Doom 3 in all but name"

... prefer it to actual Doom 3 to this day! Tried to play Quake 4 but it was naff.

nedthemumbler

Quote from: Utter Shit on August 14, 2018, 04:27:15 PM
The original incarnations were so long ago now that I can't imagine there will be another instalment, but I find it completely mad that it's been 22 years since the critically-acclaimed and incredibly popular Destruction Derby 2 was released (a vast improvement on the already very good original), with not so much as a rumour of a remake. That game was such ridiculously good fun, would be ripe for a remake given the improvement in graphics and car mechanics in the intervening years, and remains more or less unique - I know there are plenty of games like GTA where car wear and tear are part of the game, but AFAIA there isn't an equivalent of Destruction Derby around where the aim of the game is to either incapacitate your rivals in order to win a race, or destroy them completely in the free-for-all matches.

Like Hogs of War, you are bang on with a game I hadn't even thought about for years.  Guessing you are a similar age, late twenties early thirties, but damn that is a game I have fond memories of.  Probably would seem graphically rustic now

St_Eddie

It's a great point, why the fuck hasn't there been another Destruction Derby?!  Also, Road Rash.  Oh, and Streets of Rage.

Twed

Zetetic

tfw you realise you're on at least two people's ignore lists

Twed

Heh, sorry. I only read the tail of the thread.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Zetetic on August 14, 2018, 04:34:52 PM
^ Wreckfest?

Quote from: Twed on August 14, 2018, 07:05:22 PM
This might interest you St_Eddie. http://www.wreckfestgame.com/

Haven't played it myself.

That looks great.  It's only available on early access though, isn't it?  Any idea when it might be finished?

Bhazor

biggytitbo

Golden E. Pump

I don't think Resident Evil would be improved by ballet, to be honest.

St_Eddie

Utter Shit

Quote from: nedthemumbler on August 14, 2018, 06:52:40 PM
Like Hogs of War, you are bang on with a game I hadn't even thought about for years.  Guessing you are a similar age, late twenties early thirties, but damn that is a game I have fond memories of.  Probably would seem graphically rustic now

Spot on, 33. Destruction Derby 2 was one of those games as a kid that everyone seemed to have, I think because it was always one of the games that came with the console if you bought a package deal, and because it was great everyone loved it. Not sure why I remember this, but at one point the big independent PS1 magazine (forget the name, anyone?) had it as the best rated PS1 game of all along with Die Hard Trilogy at 95%...eventually overtaken by FF7 with 97%. Why the fuck do I remember this utterly pointless trivia when I frequently forget things that are actually important?

I don't have a great memory of Hogs of War but wasn't it basically a 3D version of Worms, before Worms itself went 3D?

Z

Quote from: New Jack on August 14, 2018, 01:50:31 PM
WWF No Mercy 2
Absolutely! A well put together WWE game that isn't fixated on you being able to tediously mimic out sequences from some match 20 years ago would suffice.

Here Comes the Pain 2 is just the next Smackdown game, that just happened to be the one with the best balance of that whole series's limitations

bgmnts

Hogs of War is up there with Fur Fighters as random playstation games I played as a kid I want to play again but never remember until reminded.

Z

Is there anything like Future Cop LAPD 2100 out there these days? remember finding it pretty great.

Bhazor

Only recently discovered Future Cop LAPD was made by what would become the Dead Space team. Future Cop was the tits.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Utter Shit on August 14, 2018, 09:18:34 PM
I don't have a great memory of Hogs of War but wasn't it basically a 3D version of Worms, before Worms itself went 3D?

Kind of but the most important thing that you need to know about Hogs of War is that it featured the vocal talents of Rik Mayal.  This is why it's objectively the greatest game ever made.

Quote from: Hecate on August 14, 2018, 09:22:42 PM
You might like Road Redemption.

That game piqued my interest in the past but it didn't get great reviews, so I decided not to bother.

My ideal modern day Road Rash sequel would feature a sort of story mode between races, set in a biker's bar (along the lines of a more in-depth Road Rash for the 3DO) and you would be able to form alliances with certain bikers, which in turn would create rifts between yourself and the other bikers.  This would form a branching story but more interestingly, create dynamic relationships in the actual races themselves.  So, the bikers whom you've formed an alliance with would leave you alone and concentrate on taking down your mutual enemies and your adversaries would concentrate on taking you and your allies down.  If you turned on one of your allies out on the road, then that would be reflected in the story between races.

I'd also love to have interesting set pieces within the races.  For example, in a race through a city, you could take a short cut by driving through a shopping mall, Blues Brothers style.  Once in the mall, you could either stick to the ground floor and drive out of the exit at the other side, or you could drive up the escalator mid-way through and up to the first floor, smash through the window a the far end, land on the roof of the opposite building, hit a ramp and land back onto the road.

Bhazor

Meanwhile the totally unrelated Dogs Of War released two months earlier featured voice work by Craig Charles. One of those strange coincidences.

Pseudopath

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 14, 2018, 11:32:42 PM
That game piqued my interest in the past but it didn't get great reviews, so I decided not to bother.

That's a shame because it does look hilarious: https://youtu.be/_TkPGoHMfKw

MojoJojo

Oh fuck what was that PS2 game that was a bit like micro machines and was awesome multiplayer. Dis the two players to a controller thing, so you could actually play it four player.

Doesn't even need to be a sequel, just on recent hardware.

BeardFaceMan

St_Eddie

Quote from: MojoJojo on August 14, 2018, 11:59:39 PM
Oh fuck what was that PS2 game that was a bit like micro machines and was awesome multiplayer. Dis the two players to a controller thing, so you could actually play it four player.

Doesn't even need to be a sequel, just on recent hardware.

I'm fairly sure that the game which you're thinking of is Mashed.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Golden E. Pump on August 13, 2018, 05:01:38 PMStreets of Rage 4.
Earthworm Jim 3.
I hope you're genuinely unaware of the abomination which was Earthworm Jim 3D.

MojoJojo

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 15, 2018, 12:37:38 AM
I'm fairly sure that the game which you're thinking of is Mashed.

Thank you. Looks like there was sequel, but it was shit.

Golden E. Pump

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on August 15, 2018, 10:17:20 AM
I hope you're genuinely unaware of the abomination which was Earthworm Jim 3D.

I'm aware of it but never played it so it doesn't count.