Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:12:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doom Eternal

Started by Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth, August 12, 2018, 07:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

This has been revealed in a presentation by two very uncharismatic men at Quakecon. Quite why a bunch of seismologists are concerned with first person shooters, I don't know, but the game looks as rockin' as one would expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGSMoMtPmbI

Nothing radically different to its predecessor. There are a few upgrades to your movement, including a grappling hook, quick dash and wall climbing. Some new enemies and weapons, plus redesigns for some of the returning ones to look a bit more like their classic pixellated counterparts, which I like.
One thing that seemed notably absent was the locked rooms with waves of spawning baddies from the previous game. I did enjoy them for the most part, but they could get a bit monotonous. I hope they're not gone completely, but hopefully the devs can strike a better balance with them this time.
About the only disappointment for me was that the sound effects are still a bit weedy. Aside from that I can't wait.

Bazooka

Looks good, the last Doom game was one of the dullest FPS gaming experiences I can remember.

I might just be getting old but the reveal was disturbingly violent and nihilistic, made worse by the ecstatic nerd cheers at every melee kill and the inevitable gradual desensitisation and fatigue, which took about a minute. Sums up my feelings about the first game. It feels metal as fuck for about a minute and then just grimy, desensitising and sickly.

Hecate

Little bit of pc footage here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGwquN6d5sM

Thought the reboot was really overrated, multiplayer was dead on arrival, the campaign took a long time to get going and it was far too easy, I had to restart and crank the difficulty up to nightmare before it started feeling like a challenge, and there were only a couple of moments in the whole campaign when there were enough enemies knocking about for it to feel fun and exciting.

Those brief moments where everything was flowing and you were bouncing around shooting nasties was great, but they were short lived and spaced out between lots of downtime.
Lots of unskippable dialogue bits where you couldn't do anything but sit through some boring waffle.

Those annoying melee kill animations as well, I liked the perk where you could speed those up but they still really ruined the flow of the combat, they would lock the mouse movement, you could be lining up your next shot while those crappy animations were playing, made it really stilted and shit.

It needs to be faster and more fluid, less traipsing around with no munsters to kill, more big arena battles, they need to add raw input too, there was something slightly off about the mouse controls last time round, felt like there was a tiny bit of smoothing on there even though it was off in the engine.

Still had fun and I'll get it, but I'm definitely looking forward to the new serious sam more.

madhair60

If you're playing a DooM game on anything other than "ultra-violence" setting that's your own fucking fault

Hecate

I probably started on that, had to go up to nightmare because it was boring the arse off me.

madhair60

Bollocks. You started on "easy" mode and you used an Action Replay.

Hecate

Mango Chimes

I dislike that YEEEeeeAAAAHHHHH! noise these men make.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Bazooka on August 12, 2018, 08:00:27 PM
Looks good, the last Doom game was one of the dullest FPS gaming experiences I can remember.
Do you mean a Doom 3? If you're talking about the one from 2016, I can't see why this would change your mind.