Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:35:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What Amiga games is good

Started by madhair60, August 12, 2018, 11:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Hecate

Knights of the sky, stunt car racer, harlequin, the chaos engine, speedball 2, first samurai, flashback, mega lo mania, populous 2, the alien breed games, brutal sports football, the cannon fodder games, lemmings, rainbow islands, parasol stars, sensible soccer.

I'll probably remember loads more later.

I was big into the public domain/freeware games, I used to send off to a couple of places and get disks full of wierd "one bloke in his bedroom" fart cooked peculiars. There was a really good pacman clone called mouthman that we used to play a lot.
There was a really good vs first person wizard maze game that me and my friend used to play a lot. Can't remember the name of that one.

Small Man Big Horse

I've not played it for 28 years but I got hours of fun out of it as a teenager. I mean you could chop people's heads off. What more do you want from a game?

Space ghost

Lemming

Lemmings!

Another World is incredibly hot shit. Eye of the Beholder is great too.

Although all three of those games are all on DOS/Windows too, and there's no reason not to play those versions instead.

Apidya (defo)

Leander (maybe)

Kid Gloves (maybe)

Flood (surely)

Gobliiins (sp?)

Magic Pockets (maybe)

Batman (surely)

Nightbreed (was too scared to ever play it)

Soccer Kid (maybe)

Lotus Turbo Esprit Challenge 2 (maybe)

Pirates! (defo)

Dogs of War (maybe)

Blood Money (maybe)

Xenon 2 (surely)

DocDaneeka

Jetstrike a weird side scrolling dog fighting and bombing game with lots of weird planes to try out.

Or knowing your proclivities: Superfrog and Zool are worth a try.

Twed

Quote from: The Boston Crab on August 12, 2018, 11:53:49 PM
Lotus Turbo Esprit Challenge 2 (maybe)
defo

Obscure one: Zeewolf 2. Fuck the first one off.

Hecate

Quote from: The Boston Crab on August 12, 2018, 11:53:49 PM
Xenon 2 (surely)

Trashy euroshmup when you play it nowadays, but yeah, back then when we knew no better, it was great.
Yeah, I can remember really liking apidya.
Team 17's project x, can't remember if that was good or not, and there was that really pretty psygnosis game where you played as the owl.
Just googled it, agony it was called, probably crap as well but I remember thinking it looked amazing at the time.

Eeh, desert strike, remember that? That were good.

Ooh mr heli/battle chopper, we had the arcade of that at the swimming baths near my house and I used to play that a lot, it was pretty crap on the amiga though I remember.

I never played Agony, actually, but I did play a lot of Project X at my mate's. I seem to remember it was a pretty competent Gradius rip-off (not that I knew at the time).

I'd love to try Apidya again.

Twed

SimAnt
Dune II
FastTracker 2
Monkey Island(s)

Space ghost

Hecate

Quote from: The Boston Crab on August 13, 2018, 12:04:47 AMI'd love to try Apidya again.

I see "Beekyr Reloaded" got a switch release, stay well away, it's utter balls.

Replies From View

Is it still a pain in the arse to emulate Amiga games?  I was never able to manage.

biggytitbo

Gods
James Pond 2: Robocod
Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker
Sensible Soccer
Ruff 'n' Tumble
Lionheart
Fire and Ice
Lemmings
The Chaos Engine
Pushover
Bill's Tomato Game
Turrican 1 and 2

madhair60

Quote from: Replies From View on August 13, 2018, 07:40:14 AM
Is it still a pain in the arse to emulate Amiga games?  I was never able to manage.

FS-UAE is an emulator that makes it a lot easier. You still need the Kickstart roms and to point the emulator at them, everything else is pish easy.

ASFTSN

Cybernoid 2
Cannon Fodder
Zool
Black Crypt (I think)

biggytitbo

Its a scandal that nobody had made an ios/android version of Bill's Tomato Game, its the perfect format for the game.

thraxx

Definitely Wings.  Basically a very basic and fun yet challenging flight sim with loads of what would be called achievements today I suppose and a story that is actucally worth reading as you go along.  Man I love that game.

For RPGs you are looking at Black Crypt and Eye of the Beholder.

Turrican, Xenon 2 and Speedball 2.

Blood Money, just for the Vince Clark music.

Oh and obviously Championship Manager...

bgmnts

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 12, 2018, 11:46:33 PM

I've not played it for 28 years but I got hours of fun out of it as a teenager. I mean you could chop people's heads off. What more do you want from a game?

I would have had hours of fun with the game cover alone.

Sebastian Cobb

Neomod

Kick Off - Took a while to master but became my favourite footy game. On the 64 it was Sensible Soccer all the way.
Wings - My favourite Cinemaware game.
Virus - Ooh 3 dimensional
Exile - frustrating but fun with gravity
Dungeon Master - eat apple
Pacific Islands - World of Tanks
Rainbow Islands/New Zealand Story - cute platformers
Hunter - Far Cry before Far Cry
The Great Giana Sisters - Mario rip off eventually withdrawn
Lazer Squad - x-com lite
Stunt Car Racer - nippy for a 3d game with a multitude of tracks
Pirates - Obviously
Silent Service - Das Boat simulator
Syndicate - A classic

Did anyone else buy an Amiga pack back in the day? I got the Screen Gems bundle which was one of the worst games wise, although I was working at Virgin at the time and got a massive discount from the £399 price tag.

Would have preferred the Batman pack which came out a few weeks later.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Neomod on August 13, 2018, 09:10:28 AMDid anyone else buy an Amiga pack back in the day? I got the Screen Gems bundle which was one of the worst games wise, although I was working at Virgin at the time and got a massive discount from the £399 price tag.

Would have preferred the Batman pack which came out a few weeks later.

That's the one I had. Yeah the games were pretty poor, there was only Deluxe Paint that was any value really. I believe there were two different Nightbread games, a platformer and an 'interactive novel' or some shit which was the one included in the Screen Gems pack. I never played the platform one but the other wasn't great.

The Amiga had my favourite version of Worms, the Directors Cut. I remember I used to use Dpaint to create my own levels on it, it was pretty nifty. You'd basically create a template with terrain textures, obstacles and background layers and then the game would pick it up and generate maps from it as per the normal levels. Early modding!

biggytitbo

I had the Cartoon Classics pack with Bart vs the Space Mutants (nice intro, average game), Captain Planet (shite), Lemmings (classic) and Deluxe Paint 3 (many may hours of fun).[/size]

New Jack

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 12, 2018, 11:46:33 PM

I'd want Wolf from Gladiators on the cover.

Wow, it has that too! That was how he got the Gladiators gig, Gladiator trivia fans. He sent in the cover of the game.

Replies From View

Quote from: madhair60 on August 13, 2018, 08:27:38 AM
FS-UAE is an emulator that makes it a lot easier. You still need the Kickstart roms and to point the emulator at them, everything else is pish easy.

It's now been a long long time since I tried, but in my memory getting kickstart roms was half the problem.  Maybe it's easier now.

biggytitbo

Last time I tried it was fairly trivial to find them using a search engine such as Lycos or Alta Vista.

Sebastian Cobb

I was looking at amiga's on ebay the other day. It looks like the price is starting to skyrocket.

madhair60

Quote from: Replies From View on August 13, 2018, 10:51:38 AM
It's now been a long long time since I tried, but in my memory getting kickstart roms was half the problem.  Maybe it's easier now.

If only you could PM someone who has them (me, madhair)