Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:34:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What Amiga games is good

Started by madhair60, August 12, 2018, 11:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

ONLY AMIGA,
ONLY AMIGA BAAAAABBBYYYYYY
ONLY AMIGA
CAN MAKE IT HAAAAAPPPEEENNNN.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Natnar on August 13, 2018, 12:22:00 PM

Blimey, that does look good!  Features Steven Spielberg and all, by the looks of it.

Hecate

Quote from: biggytitbo on August 13, 2018, 08:01:57 AM
Fire and Ice

Yaaaas, man. Forgot about that.

Quote from: biggytitbo on August 13, 2018, 10:01:51 AM
I had the Cartoon Classics pack

Me too.

I know everyone says captain planet was shit and I thought it was naff too but I remember having so much fun playing that game when I'd played all the others to death. I was like "well, I suppose I'd better give this shit a chance" and the more I played it, I started to really like it.

JesusAndYourBush

Did anyone ever invent a way for a pc floppy drive to read Amiga discs?  I know there's a more convoluted way of doing it, but I can't be arsed with all that.  It's probably easier to chuck the discs in the bin as everything can probably be downloaded anyway.

Twed

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on August 13, 2018, 04:14:27 PM
Did anyone ever invent a way for a pc floppy drive to read Amiga discs?  I know there's a more convoluted way of doing it, but I can't be arsed with all that.  It's probably easier to chuck the discs in the bin as everything can probably be downloaded anyway.
It's a hardware thing, unfortunately. You're going to have to buy special floppy drive controller hardware. But given these days a floppy drive is something you have to go out of your way to get anyway...

remedial_gash

There's this project http://amiga.robsmithdev.co.uk/ but didn't read beyond the opening blurb.

edit:
Hardware Required
1 x (PC) Floppy Disk Drive
1 x (PC) floppy drive cable (cut to remove the twist)
1 x Arduino (UNO (read only), PRO MINI (recommended) running at 16Mhz)
1 x FTDI/RS232/CH340 USB->Serial Converter Breakout Board (supporting 2M baud)
1 x 1Kohm Resistor
1 x breadboard (optional, you could connect it up directly)
1 x 5V power supply (floppy drive uses too much power so should be supplied seperatly)
1 x 12V power supply (required by some floppy drives, none of mine required it!)

Double edit  - the arduino boards seem cheap, but I guess it comes down to tinkering skills - if  it's just for commercial games, I think most are out there.

Hecate

I had this shitty program that would format your disks to run on both a pc and an amiga, it was terrible, I had to convert doc files to something readable on the amiga and back again and files were forever becoming corrupted, I was doing some IT course in sixth form and lost pretty much all my work.
I managed to womble together a shitty pc from stuff my dad brought back from work one night and other people's cast offs but the course was over by then.
We all chipped in for a grands worth of gaming pc for my nephews christmas last year and he was 8!
Don't know they're born.

Replies From View

Quote from: madhair60 on August 13, 2018, 11:23:52 AM
If only you could PM someone who has them (me, madhair)

I've sent you a PM.

I've just remembered I would be emulating on a mac, so I am fully expecting to find myself never able to play the Amiga versions of the Dizzy games.

Phil_A

If it's just a case of transferring data, you'd be better off installing a flash drive in your Amiga, ripping all your discs to an SD card and then transferring them that way. That's what I ended up doing with all my old Atari discs, that one's that were worth ripping at any rate.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: remedial_gash on August 13, 2018, 05:21:47 PM
There's this project http://amiga.robsmithdev.co.uk/ but didn't read beyond the opening blurb.

edit:
Hardware Required
1 x (PC) Floppy Disk Drive
1 x (PC) floppy drive cable (cut to remove the twist)
1 x Arduino (UNO (read only), PRO MINI (recommended) running at 16Mhz)
1 x FTDI/RS232/CH340 USB->Serial Converter Breakout Board (supporting 2M baud)
1 x 1Kohm Resistor
1 x breadboard (optional, you could connect it up directly)
1 x 5V power supply (floppy drive uses too much power so should be supplied seperatly)
1 x 12V power supply (required by some floppy drives, none of mine required it!)

Double edit  - the arduino boards seem cheap, but I guess it comes down to tinkering skills - if  it's just for commercial games, I think most are out there.

Unless there's something personal you want to retrieve you'd be better off buying an sd card to ide (or floppy) emulator and downloading everything.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Hecate on August 13, 2018, 06:01:52 PM
I had this shitty program that would format your disks to run on both a pc and an amiga, it was terrible, I had to convert doc files to something readable on the amiga and back again and files were forever becoming corrupted

I had that.  With the one I had, the Amiga couldn't read a newer pc floppy (somewhere around 1.4mb), it had to be a really ancient one when they only formatted to around 0.7mb.  Luckily I still had a cd from an old college course, formatted by a really ancient pre-windows pc, and that worked a charm.  It was a right ballache transferring files over in such small amounts, plus factor in a knackered Amiga mouse that needed an immense amount of pressure to click the mousebutton and an Amiga that crashed on a whim.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 13, 2018, 06:29:33 PM
Unless there's something personal you want to retrieve you'd be better off buying an sd card to ide (or floppy) emulator and downloading everything.

Yeah I already transferred anything I want to keep, it just seems a shame to have all these discs that are essentially useless now.

thraxx

Quote from: Neomod on August 13, 2018, 09:10:28 AM

Did anyone else buy an Amiga pack back in the day? I got the Screen Gems bundle which was one of the worst games wise, although I was working at Virgin at the time and got a massive discount from the £399 price tag.

I got that one too in 1989 I think.  Yes the games were completely TERRIBLE.  (No idea how they got away with charging £25 quid for basically unfinished, unplayable games in those days).  I used to buy one game every 4 months, so if I had spent my cash on something like that I would have been devastated:
Days of Thunder (clunky as fuck, awful sprite detection), Nightbreed (impossibly hard and no good instructions to tell you how to play (I never got past the first screen)), Back to the Future 2 (Didn't even load).  Even Beast 2, which looked and sounded great was basically a line of impossible to work out puzzles that you had to do in exactly right order, or die.  But it has this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGf5xpaRIx8  Which was apparently nicked from Miami Vice.  Still shows what a great sound setup the Amiga had.  You never got anything as badass as that on the fucking Atari ST.

The thing I spent most time on with that was Deluxe Paint III, which was fucking ace.  Used to love building up image pixel by pixel on that.

madhair60

Addams Family is effing great btw why did nobody say that?

madhair60

Assassin is a bit shit though.

BeardFaceMan

Grand Monster Slam - great if you enjoy sports and kicking monsters in the face.
The Settlers - my introduction to building shit type games and still my favourite.
Stardust (?) - I think thats what is called, it was like a beefed up Asteroids, had a great between level section where you went tearing down a tube avoiding things, lovely stuff.