Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:58:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fantasy NFL 2018?

Started by DrGreggles, August 13, 2018, 11:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gulftastic

I wish the beeb wold stop using Yawnion twat Edie Butler to do voice overs on their NFL stuff. Unlistenable for me.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Gulftastic on November 18, 2018, 12:18:08 PM
I wish the beeb wold stop using Yawnion twat Edie Butler to do voice overs on their NFL stuff. Unlistenable for me.

Ignore his VO bullshit. The rest of the show is great.

Osi is one of those people who just seems to be good at anything they turn their hand to.
Two time Superbowl champ, multi Pro Bowler.
Got out of the game without his brain or body breaking.
Now a very knowledgeable and fun presenter.
Invested his NFL money wisely and is very loaded indeed.
Apparently REALLY good at golf too.
Oh, and married to a former Miss World...

Don't you just hate him!

Gulftastic

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 18, 2018, 12:28:25 PM
Ignore his VO bullshit. The rest of the show is great.

Osi is one of those people who just seems to be good at anything they turn their hand to.
Two time Superbowl champ, multi Pro Bowler.
Got out of the game without his brain or body breaking.
Now a very knowledgeable and fun presenter.
Invested his NFL money wisely and is very loaded indeed.
Apparently REALLY good at golf too.
Oh, and married to a former Miss World...

Don't you just hate him!

I agree, but this week they put him over the highlights of Thursday nights game. It especially annoyed me. Twats.

Old Thrashbarg

I do like Osi, but I find the analysis from both him and Bell is pretty poor. Chapman does a great job trying to get them to communicate their thoughts in a way the average viewer would understand, but then the ideas that are left are pretty shallow. And then their knowledge of teams/players is lacking as well.

Still, I guess the main thing is for them to be engaging and entertaining enough to get people watch, and they do that.

DrGreggles

It's a tricky show to pitch. Just how much credit do they need to give the viewer in terms of their knowledge of the game.
Chapman tries to interject on occasion to ask Osi or Jason to clarify something, but I'd say that a lot of the technical stuff would go over the heads of casual viewers.
That said, the text box that scrolls along the bottom of the screen can be impressively patronising.

As for the annoying VO, I can only recommend the official NFL channel on YouTube. 10-15 minute highlights of EVERY game - usually available within an hour of the game finishing.
It's almost as if the NFL want fans to be able to watch the games! (Take note Premier League)

DrGreggles

Steelers got out of jail tonight against the out-of-form Jags.
16-0 near the end of the 3rd quarter, but Big Ben and Antonio Brown suddenly got going to win it 20-16 with 3 seconds left.
Still don't think the D is good enough, but the O can always give us a chance when it's firing.

Gulftastic

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 18, 2018, 09:48:36 PM
Steelers got out of jail tonight against the out-of-form Jags.
16-0 near the end of the 3rd quarter, but Big Ben and Antonio Brown suddenly got going to win it 20-16 with 3 seconds left.
Still don't think the D is good enough, but the O can always give us a chance when it's firing.

The Good Place makes me always feel sad for Jason when the Jags lose.

DrGreggles

What. A. Game.
Possibly the greatest Monday Night Football match I've seen.

No spoilers. Here's the highlights.

EOLAN

A certain player having their worst performance of the season and absolutely stonking it with a massive return on my fantasy team.

DrGreggles

Quote from: EOLAN on November 20, 2018, 01:01:42 PM
A certain player having their worst performance of the season and absolutely stonking it with a massive return on my fantasy team.

Statistically it wasn't his worst performance - it was his best.
Someone said it was the the highest QB rating ever achieved by a losing player.

EOLAN

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 20, 2018, 01:27:04 PM
Statistically it wasn't his worst performance - it was his best.
Someone said it was the the highest QB rating ever achieved by a losing player.

I probably put a higher ranking on turnovers than some.

Indeed another factor of the high scoring game was that some excellent defence contributed to the fast scoring nature (along with plenty of poor such play). Are we still on spoiler alerts?

DrGreggles

Quote from: EOLAN on November 20, 2018, 01:29:21 PM
I probably put a higher ranking on turnovers than some.

His interceptions were right at the end of each half when chasing a quick score.
They appear the same on the stats, but they're a lot more forgivable.

QuoteIndeed another factor of the high scoring game was that some excellent defence contributed to the fast scoring nature (along with plenty of poor such play). Are we still on spoiler alerts?

Not sure anyone else cares.

EOLAN

Nice start by three of my players in the head to head at the top of the table clash.
Unfortunately my opponent in a 32 team league has Amari Cooper on their team; so that is gonna be some uphill task.

DrGreggles

My team tends to live or die by the Steelers offence.
Need them to play like they did against the Panthers to have a decent chance this week.

DrGreggles

Dex Sawash

Struggling with how I was able to maintain a bad team in a 6 person league with short rosters. I have been trying to do well.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Dex Sawash on December 05, 2018, 12:57:20 PM
Struggling with how I was able to maintain a bad team in a 6 person league with short rosters. I have been trying to do well.

Were you updating your roster with free agents/waivers?

Dex Sawash

Haven't made a second job out of it or anything, had to pick up a waiver wire bum to fill a bye week slot late on a Sunday once or twice.

ESPN ruined this week's big waiver score of Jaylen Samuels by dropping his TE designation making that a pointless pickup. He is still a TE in Yahoo leagues.
That's no Aaron Rogers playing QB listed as RB deal but I hate ESPN, the shit-interface fantasy cunts.

DrGreggles

Blame the prick who set our league up on ESPN!

ziggy starbucks

I mastered the art of dropping players just before their stand out performances and then bringing them back just in time for their bad performances. I'm looking at you Odell Beckham!

and I never found a consistent tight end.

and I didn't pick any Saints players.

lots of mistakes

EOLAN

At least whoever set up the League managed to run the draft off in under half an hour rather than the 5 days my other League did. Managed to act as spoiler in that but couldn't make the play-offs myself. Trading away TY Hilton probably cost me a bit.

Anyway, this weekends clashes look to be extremely tight at the moment. I covered myself ok despite loss of Kareem Hunt and should be fairly solid in the Running dept. Having watched the Oakland game I feel that Kansas could struggle with their offence against Baltimore, although home(field) advantage should help. May have to consider benching Mahomes. Rivers without homefield advantage too but is also at home to struggling Cincinatti seems like a nice match up.

Have had no problems picking up the waiver wire throughout the season myself.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: EOLAN on December 05, 2018, 02:54:25 PM
loss of Kareem Hunt

Wouldn't have guessed he would turn out to be a bit of a k.hunt

DrGreggles

Titans RB Derrick Henry's stats from last night:
17 Carries
238 Yards
4 Touchdowns
73 Fantasy Points!

And he was on a waiver...

Old Thrashbarg

He's always had the potential to have a game like that. Equally, it wouldn't be a surprise if he went back to 12 carries for 15 yards next week.

DrGreggles

Oh, it's very likely.

What the fuck has happened to the Jags defence this season though?

Old Thrashbarg

They showed last week (annoyingly, as a Colts fan) that they've got the ability. So they're individually all good players still. But they don't seem to be either putting in the effort required or working together. Probably as a result of inflated egos.

DrGreggles

Even this year, the defence has generally been OK.
It's been the Bortles-led offence that has been more predictably shit.

The holes that Henry was running through last night were ridiculous though.
Kudos to the Titans O-Line, but The Fridge would have had 100 yards rushing in that match!

maett

I can name more than 5 players now and I can probably name more than a dozen shit ones.  I'm feeling good for next year!

Dex Sawash

I had Henry on bench in another league.

DrGreggles

AMAZING finish in Miami!
Dolphins score a 50+ yard TD on the final play to beat the Pats.