Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:00:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fantasy NFL 2018?

Started by DrGreggles, August 13, 2018, 11:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maett

EOLAN

Steelers almost pulled off their own lateral move last second comeback. Setting up a field goal only to slip. At least that had me smiling after the Patriots inevitable loss in Miami. As much a mess up at end of first half as second.
After the previous week's performance wasn't overly surprised that the Raiders competed well.

DrGreggles

I can see the Steelers missing the play-offs.
The defence has been poor most of the season, especially against the pass, and there are games v the Pats and Saints to come. Brady and Brees will stack up the fantasy points there!
Bell sitting out the season left James Conner to carry the running game (which he's done brilliantly), but now he's injured (due to playing almost every down) and the opposition knows that doubling up on Antonio Brown severely restricts the O game. JuJu posts good figures, but you can't use him as a primary receiver.
Now Big Ben is either going to be out injured for the rest of the regular season or, most likely, playing with an injury.
Wouldn't surprise me if the Steelers finished with a 8-7-1 record, behind the Ravens in the AFC North and not enough for a Wild Card.

Some strange results around though. An accumulator on defeats for the Steelers, Pats, Texans and Rams would have made some big bucks!

maett

Don't write off the Browns for the AFC north
Final game of the season the Ravens host the Browns, could be for the title
Pittsburgh need to lose all 3 of their remaining games though. But with the Saints, Patriots and an always nasty Bengals game to come it's not implausible.
Without those early season balls ups it could have been so different for the Browns.

DrGreggles

Quote from: maett on December 11, 2018, 12:20:19 AM
Don't write off the Browns for the AFC north

I wrote them off before the season began!

To be honest, I knew they'd improve greatly this year after they'd FINALLY drafted well (although my prediction of an 8-8 season was a bit off).
Ward and Chubb have been excellent, and Mayfield has shown a lot of potential.
That Steelers side is at the end of an era too so, with them on the way down and the Browns going the other way, the AFC North could be getting a bit tighter over the next few years.

EOLAN

Oh so it's a double up week of fixtures for the fantasy play-offs. Nice.

Some very big games on the AFC play-off scene this year. Could the Chiefs possibly only be a Wild-Card team. Certainly seems to be somewhat a closing of the pack in the past few weeks; with the Saints; Rams and Chiefs not looking as invincible and all-conquering as previously. Although facing these tough games and finding out their own weaknesses can well be advantageous to these sides.

DrGreggles

Quote from: EOLAN on December 13, 2018, 10:13:42 AM
Oh so it's a double up week of fixtures for the fantasy play-offs. Nice.

The damage was done last week for my team.

Dex Sawash

I'm not feeling all that confident of victory in the Toilet Bowl

DrGreggles

Another great game last night.
Chargers @ Chiefs highlights: https://youtu.be/ICOcTyc2jlM

DrGreggles

The Steelers have finally FINALLY beaten the Pats!

Nice of the defence to finally show up.

EOLAN

Well done DrGreggles on the Steelers win. I better not get any slagging from my Baltimore friend who supports the Ravens and has a soft spot for the Colts, like I did last week over Dolphins; despite results being bad for their side's play-off chances.

Ready to prepare my concession speech in the Fantasy NFL. Need New Orleans trio of Brees, Kamara and Lutz to get a combined total of 52 points or less.

DrGreggles

Quote from: EOLAN on December 17, 2018, 09:06:07 AM
Ready to prepare my concession speech in the Fantasy NFL.

Mine was written, rehearsed and beautifully orated last week...

Looks like there will be plenty to play for in the last 2 weeks of the regular season.

AFC East: the Pats should finish 11-5 as their remaining games are against the Bills and the Jets. Dolphins are 7-7, but even 2 wins probably won't be enough for a Wild Card spot.
AFC North: Steelers (8-5-1) just ahead of the Ravens (8-6) and both end with a very winnable divisional game against the Bengals and Browns respectively. Next week should probably decide it, as a shock win for either the Steelers in New Orleans or the Ravens at the Chargers will probably secure the title and leave the other team sweating on a Wild Card place.
AFC South: The Texans have pretty much got this in the bag and 2 wins will leave them as 2nd seeds in the AFC. Colts and Titans both 8-6 and in with a decent shot of the remaining Wild Card spot - and they play each other on the final day!
AFC West: Chiefs and Chargers are both 11-3, so the #1 and #5 seeds are most likely to come from this division. I can see both winning out, so I think the Chiefs will top the division due to their better conference record.

NFC East: Dallas (8-6) just ahead of Washington and Philidelphia (7-7) who meet on the final day and will have a shot at the Wild Card. The Cowboys should win out against the Buccs and Giants.
NFC North: Bears have it wrapped up at 10-4 and looking nailed on as the 3rd seed. The Vikings face them in the final game and could still have a shot at a Wild Card.
NFC South: The Saints (11-2) have the division in the bag and should secure home field advantage in the play-offs. They need 2 wins from their last 3 games to confirm it.
NFC West: The Rams (11-3) have the title sewn up, but are showing signs of creaking somewhat. Probably looking over their shoulder at the Bears more than thinking of catching the Saints. The Seahawks (8-6) are in the Wild Card pack.

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: EOLAN on December 17, 2018, 09:06:07 AM
Ready to prepare my concession speech in the Fantasy NFL. Need New Orleans trio of Brees, Kamara and Lutz to get a combined total of 52 points or less.

53 points scored. That's a horrible way to go out.

DrGreggles

hummingofevil

I'm checking in as an NFL knowledge rookie but I love this shit. Be nice. Watched a lot of this season on delay and that ChiefsRams game was second best sport I've ever been privileged to watch after Wrexham AFC destroying Birmingham City in 1996/7 FA Cup. Will try to join in from now on if you don't mind my inane contributions

EOLAN

Work away humming evil.

Stayed up for all late games. Why I would for the Broncos and Raiders is a question for the ages. If ya can explain that ya be the biggest football expert here.

hummingofevil

Raiders for me is always G-Funk and cool merch so root for them everytime. Also love that quirk of NFL where teams that should rightly bomb their seasons for draft picks go on a run to save their contracts. The Gruden project is one of the most subtle stories to watch over next few years going.

Without spoilers are there any great matches from last couple of weeks that I should watch? Bears Packers is on now and it's been good but still a couple of weeks behind so haven't checked who's already qualified and which games are dead rubbers?

DrGreggles

Quote from: hummingofevil on December 27, 2018, 03:20:22 AM
Without spoilers are there any great matches from last couple of weeks that I should watch? Bears Packers is on now and it's been good but still a couple of weeks behind so haven't checked who's already qualified and which games are dead rubbers?

There have been some great games this season.
Pats @ Dolphins, from a few weeks ago, contained all that's good and nuts about the NFL.

EOLAN

I been quietly impressed with the Raiders in the latter half of the season. Gotten rid of a lot of star players and have a lot of draft picks over next couple of years to build a side. Looked like the team could easily have totally tanked but in fairness Gruden has them playing good stuff of late and competing very well against some of the big boys. Their recent clashes with the Chiefs and the Steelers are worth viewing if you have a rooted interest in the Raiders.

mikeyg27

I'm a Raiders fan. I've only had one season in the last decade where it's been worth caring past Week 5 (two years ago, where Carr's injury completely fucked a potential Super Bowl run). Trading Khalil Mack was pretty much Gruden waving the white flag before the season had even started, and getting rid of (and admittedly under performing) Amari Cooper was the cherry on the tanking cake. They've clearly prioritised getting ready for the Vegas move over everything else.

DrGreggles

Quote from: EOLAN on December 27, 2018, 11:37:42 AM
Their recent clashes with the Chiefs and the Steelers are worth viewing if you have a rooted interest in the Raiders.

Not sure the Raiders are anywhere near challenging for the play-offs, to be honest.
Gruden is really going to have to earn his (big) money in order to turn it round there.

Old Thrashbarg

I think more than ever the key to success going forward will be a strong set of players on rookie contracts (ideally including a QB). The advantage it gives in being able to bring in the sort of Khalil Mack game-changer on ridiculous money is huge.

DrGreggles

Maybe they need to go back to the Al Davis approach to drafting*. Generally used to work out pretty well.

*"Get that guy, he looks like a Raider!"

DrGreggles

The final round of the regular season went pretty much as anticipated, with the Colts comfortably taking the last AFC Wild Card spot in their 'winner takes all' match at the Titans.
The in-form Eagles leapfrogged the patchy Vikings into the post-season, shutting out the Redskins as Minnesota were easily beaten by the impressive Bears.

This leaves Wild Card weekend looking like this:
AFC
Colts(6) @ Texans(3)
Chargers(5) @ Ravens(4)
Top seeds: Chiefs(1), Patriots(2)
NFC
Eagles(6) @ Bears(3)
Seahawks(5) @ Cowboys(4)
Top seeds: Saints(1), Rams(2)

DrGreggles

DrGreggles

A quick Wild Card prediction:

Texas to edge it against the Colts
Seahawks to comfortably win in Dallas
Bears to beat the Eagles by 2 scores
Ravens to shock the Chargers

Camp Tramp

It is very easy to tell what the Texans need to concentrate on in the Draft.

DrGreggles

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 05, 2019, 09:26:03 PM

Texans to edge it against the Colts
Seahawks to comfortably win in Dallas
Bears to beat the Eagles by 2 scores
Ravens to shock the Chargers

Off to a flyer!

DrGreggles

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 05, 2019, 09:26:03 PM

Texans to edge it against the Colts