Author Topic: Books with no page numbers.  (Read 1186 times)

icehaven

• I will be in the bar, with my head on the bar
Books with no page numbers.
« on: August 13, 2018, 12:08:36 PM »
Not exactly a life-ruining issue but it drives me bananas. Probably more of a graphic novel thing really, they're terrible for it.

Re: Books with no page numbers.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 01:09:16 PM »
Go and buy a copy of The Infinite Monkey Cage book - they DELIBERATELY put even page numbers on the recto pages.

BlodwynPig

• Throwing two dogs at a goblin
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 02:16:43 PM »
The Bible does alright.

icehaven

• I will be in the bar, with my head on the bar
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 01:33:31 PM »
The Bible does alright.

That's got chapters and verses or something hasn't it? I've not read it.

greencalx

• Never knowingly knowledgeable
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 06:25:45 PM »
Conversely, I find the practice of putting the title and author on every page a bit weird. In the event I forget who wrote a book while reading it, I can just look at the cover.

I presume it’s a form of advertising - people looking over your shoulder will know what it is you’re reading. I find it oddly distracting though.

c

• Sandalwood by George Ezra
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 01:03:09 PM »

I presume it’s a form of advertising

I really hope this isn't true.

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 12:13:05 AM »
I really hope this isn't true.

It's partly a holdover from the days when you'd save the metal plates for reprints - difficult to tell what the book is otherwise if you're confronted with a block of back-to-front text. The running heads also make it easier to identify the signatures once the sheets are folded, not just which book they're from, but which way up they are. You're less likely to feed signatures into the binding machine upside-down if running heads are present...

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 12:14:13 AM »
Not exactly a life-ruining issue but it drives me bananas. Probably more of a graphic novel thing really, they're terrible for it.

I've just decided to do this on my comic but its only 36 pages and should take about 15 mins to read. Also I would probably have wanted them hand lettered and I couldn't be titting christ arsed.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• You Go Careful There Now My Love
    • http://jackanderton.jamendo.net/
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 07:34:51 AM »
I've just decided to do this on my comic but its only 36 pages and should take about 15 mins to read. Also I would probably have wanted them hand lettered and I couldn't be titting christ arsed.

Sub-human scum

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 10:18:01 AM »
How do you do a contents or index with no page numbers?

greencalx

• Never knowingly knowledgeable
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 07:18:11 PM »
It's partly a holdover from the days when you'd save the metal plates for reprints - difficult to tell what the book is otherwise if you're confronted with a block of back-to-front text. The running heads also make it easier to identify the signatures once the sheets are folded, not just which book they're from, but which way up they are. You're less likely to feed signatures into the binding machine upside-down if running heads are present...

Interesting. I first noticed this with a book that had been digitally typeset, where such considerations are presumably unnecessary.

pigamus

• Sex, death, mayonnaise.
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 07:30:19 PM »
Location 11654 of Fuck Off I Want Page Numbers