Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:29:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Books with no page numbers.

Started by Icehaven, August 13, 2018, 12:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Not exactly a life-ruining issue but it drives me bananas. Probably more of a graphic novel thing really, they're terrible for it.

studpuppet

Go and buy a copy of The Infinite Monkey Cage book - they DELIBERATELY put even page numbers on the recto pages.

BlodwynPig

Icehaven

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 13, 2018, 02:16:43 PM
The Bible does alright.

That's got chapters and verses or something hasn't it? I've not read it.

greencalx

Conversely, I find the practice of putting the title and author on every page a bit weird. In the event I forget who wrote a book while reading it, I can just look at the cover.

I presume it's a form of advertising - people looking over your shoulder will know what it is you're reading. I find it oddly distracting though.

c

studpuppet

Quote from: c on October 06, 2018, 01:03:09 PM
I really hope this isn't true.

It's partly a holdover from the days when you'd save the metal plates for reprints - difficult to tell what the book is otherwise if you're confronted with a block of back-to-front text. The running heads also make it easier to identify the signatures once the sheets are folded, not just which book they're from, but which way up they are. You're less likely to feed signatures into the binding machine upside-down if running heads are present...

DocDaneeka

Quote from: icehaven on August 13, 2018, 12:08:36 PM
Not exactly a life-ruining issue but it drives me bananas. Probably more of a graphic novel thing really, they're terrible for it.

I've just decided to do this on my comic but its only 36 pages and should take about 15 mins to read. Also I would probably have wanted them hand lettered and I couldn't be titting christ arsed.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: DocDaneeka on October 07, 2018, 12:14:13 AM
I've just decided to do this on my comic but its only 36 pages and should take about 15 mins to read. Also I would probably have wanted them hand lettered and I couldn't be titting christ arsed.

Sub-human scum

bgmnts

How do you do a contents or index with no page numbers?

greencalx

Quote from: studpuppet on October 07, 2018, 12:13:05 AM
It's partly a holdover from the days when you'd save the metal plates for reprints - difficult to tell what the book is otherwise if you're confronted with a block of back-to-front text. The running heads also make it easier to identify the signatures once the sheets are folded, not just which book they're from, but which way up they are. You're less likely to feed signatures into the binding machine upside-down if running heads are present...

Interesting. I first noticed this with a book that had been digitally typeset, where such considerations are presumably unnecessary.

pigamus

Location 11654 of Fuck Off I Want Page Numbers