Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:55:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Non Piss-Poor British Films

Started by Rizla, August 14, 2018, 12:01:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rizla

Lesser known films that you think deserved to be less lesser known.

Small Faces - 1996 film about glasgow gangs in the 60s, Tommy from trainspotting and Lydia from breaking bad are in it, but the excellent Iain Robertson steals it.

The Debt Collector - 1999 I don't think I've ever met more than 3 people that have seen this. Billy Connolly plays a Jimmy Boyle-type character, a reformed gangster turned artist, with Ken Stott in an incredible turn as the bitter copper who sent him down in the 70s now back on his case on a personal vendetta. Annette Crosbie, Francesca Annis (Polanski's Lady MacBeth) and, the excellent Iain Robertson who almost steals it, not least in an upsetting scene with Miss Hoolie from Balamory. Oh, and Ford Kiernan getting knifed in a swimming pool. It's not without its faults but I think it's a mini masterpiece in many ways, especially considering it's its director's only film.

MortSahlFan

"Loneliness of a Long-Distance Runner"

and almost every single movie by Ken Loach and Mike Leigh

Absorb the anus burn

Deep End: featuring CAN, Burt Kwouk and Jane Asher.
The Day The Earth Caught Fire: Val Guest's best.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: MortSahlFan on August 14, 2018, 12:58:08 AM
"Loneliness of a Long-Distance Runner"

and almost every single movie by Ken Loach and Mike Leigh

Land and Freedom is my favourite, I reckon.

mothman

Face, starring Robert Carlyle. One of the better 90s crime movies. Around the start of Winstone's career renaissance - before he pissed it away in rapid time.

Enrico Palazzo

Quote from: Rizla on August 14, 2018, 12:01:46 AM
Lesser known films that you think deserved to be less lesser known.

The Debt Collector - 1999 I don't think I've ever met more than 3 people that have seen this. Billy Connolly plays a Jimmy Boyle-type character, a reformed gangster turned artist, with Ken Stott in an incredible turn as the bitter copper who sent him down in the 70s now back on his case on a personal vendetta. Annette Crosbie, Francesca Annis (Polanski's Lady MacBeth) and, the excellent Iain Robertson who almost steals it, not least in an upsetting scene with Miss Hoolie from Balamory. Oh, and Ford Kiernan getting knifed in a swimming pool. It's not without its faults but I think it's a mini masterpiece in many ways, especially considering it's its director's only film.

Got that one on DVD. Grim stuff but the performances are cracking.

Sebastian Cobb

BeardFaceMan

buzby

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on August 14, 2018, 01:01:47 AM
Deep End: featuring CAN, Burt Kwouk and Jane Asher.
Thank you! I was trying to remember the title of this in the chat during the (spam) screening of Blow Up the other week.

The Long Good Friday

Dead Man's Cards - a low budget modern-day Western set in Liverpool surrounding a pair of doormen trying to keep the drugs gangs at bay at the nightclub they work at. Paul Barber stars alongside Tom Bell (his last film) and the usual cast of Liverpool actors (Gary Mavers, Andrew Schofield, Carl Chase, Samantha Womack). Directed and co-written by James 'my dad directed ROTJ' Marquand in his feature-length debut (the Star Wars connection extended to Lucas providing some backing for the film and having future Darth Vader Spencer Wilding in a bit part).

Tyrannosaur - gut wrenching. I saw it in the cinema and had to go for a long walk afterwards. I still haven't managed to get through a second viewing of it whenever it's been on TV.

holyzombiejesus

Unman, Wittering and Zigo. I remember this being on Channel 4 about 20-odd years ago and never caught the end. I remember it being quite unsettling. No physical copies on Amazon, just available digitally through Prime Video. Someone mentioned (on here?) that it might come out through Flipside but I guess it's not grimy enough.

chveik

Moonlighting
The Shout
Colonel Blimp

Bad Ambassador

The Black Panther.

Feature-length Crimewatch reconstruction of Donald Neilson's robberies and kidnappings, somewhat unwisely rushed into cinemas less than 18 months after he was convicted. A grim, nasty little story with a terrific performance from Donald Sumpter in the lead. It is notably ambiguous over whether he murdered the girl he kidnapped or she died by accident, although he was convicted of murder and was obviously responsible for her death. It's on BFI Flipside, and features a cameo by Ant-Man.

Brundle-Fly

Interesting that most of the films suggested in the piss-poor British films are mainly from the past twenty years and vice versa on this thread.

Small Man Big Horse

Lawless Heart - Back when Bill Nighy wasn't everywhere this comedy drama is a surprisingly touching and unique affair.

Pride - Mentioned recently in the Films You're Recently seen thread, I fucking loved this.

Future Shock - The 2000AD Story - Just a great documentary about the classic british comic.

The Nine Lives of Tomas Katz - Extremely low budget but also extremely good.

Paddington and Paddington 2 - Okay, they're really well known, but they're also fucking excellent.

Billy The Kid and the Green Baize Vampire - My favourite musical about snooker.

The Devils - I love a lot of Ken Russell's 70's cinema, but this is him at his very very best.

The Guard - My favourite film by John Michael McDonagh, with a superb performance by Brendan Gleeson at the core of it.

Distant Voices, Still Lives - Terence Davies finest work.

Cashback - Little known but brilliant comedy drama.

SteveDave

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on August 14, 2018, 11:06:10 AM
I Bought A Vampire Motorcycle.

Seconded. It features Daniel Peacock's face in a shit and, all the principle actors from Boon!

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: SteveDave on August 14, 2018, 01:57:49 PM
Seconded. It features Daniel Peacock's face in a shit and, all the principle actors from Boon!

I recommended it to my friends mum because she was a big Boon fan. Luckily shes an Evil Dead fan too so she thought it was great.

the ouch cube

MortSahlFan

magval

Brundle-Fly

Most Ealing comedies. Is there a piss poor one?

pigamus

St_Eddie

Anything and everything by Mike Leigh.  Naked is probably my favourite, closely followed by Happy-Go-Lucky.

Sin Agog

Far too many to name so I'll just mention the underrated Peter Cook film trilogy: The Wrong Box, The Rise & Rise of Michael Rimmer & The Bed-Sitting Room.

Rizla

My OP was in response to the piss-poor films thread which seemed to be mostly of the britpop-trainspotting era, but some great suggestions on here. I saw "The Shout" just recently and loved it, reminded me a bit of "Endless Night" which I must check out again.
Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 14, 2018, 06:18:29 PM
Most Ealing comedies. Is there a piss poor one?
I don't believe so...they also pulled off horror pretty well in "Dead of Night"

St_Eddie

Bedazzled.  Shame about the passers-by looking directly into the camera at the end though.

Also, this kind of goes without saying; the Monty Python films.

Sin Agog

Whistle And I'll Come to You and The Innocents are two more Brit horrors that overload on atmosphere.  Talking of whistling, Whistle Down the Wind.

Because I'm a distant relative of his, and he practically invented Communism by founding the Levellers (not the band) centuries ago, thus making me the biggest swinging dick in any Four Yorkshiremen-esque who's got the most leftist cred argument...Winstanley's a great black and white Brit indie, and it's on youtube! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I91gVdG2_Q

Pseudopath

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 14, 2018, 01:57:01 PM
Paddington and Paddington 2 - Okay, they're really well known, but they're also fucking excellent.

It's still worth repeating. I see a lot of people dismiss them as throwaway kids films, rather than the life-affirming, infinitely-inventive masterpieces they actually are.

Psmith

Guns at Batasi.

Richard Attenborough brilliant as a RSM
A sexy young Mia Farrow is in it too.