Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:42:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Taskmaster Series 7

Started by Clownbaby, August 14, 2018, 10:58:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on September 05, 2018, 10:11:55 PMSecond ep is up.
I'm not falling for Dave's fucking bait and switch this year, where I watch all the episodes online a week early but then they don't upload the finale.

Clownbaby

This lineup is really decent, I've got a good feeling about this series. Classic moment already with the bikinis and "if you walked past a tree with a box up in it would you think 'oh look at that tower?' "

BeardFaceMan

Acaster may tip this into series 4 territory for me. I just dont get why people say hes so amazing and unique, I keep trying, I really do, I just.....dont get it. The last time I tried was when he was last on HIGNFY and he died on his arse, Hislop had to make the save for him a few times, just awful, rambling, unfunny rubbish. And I tried in the first episode,  I really did, hes just so fucking bland. Urgh. Not a good line up for me this series, Gilbert I can tolerate, Wang and Knappert I dont know, dont like the other 2. Luckily the format of the show can make contestants you dont like seem tolerable, so we'll see, I'll reserve any more series 4 comparisons for now.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on September 06, 2018, 12:29:58 PM
Acaster may tip this into series 4 territory for me. I just dont get why people say hes so amazing and unique, I keep trying, I really do, I just.....dont get it. The last time I tried was when he was last on HIGNFY and he died on his arse, Hislop had to make the save for him a few times, just awful, rambling, unfunny rubbish. And I tried in the first episode,  I really did, hes just so fucking bland. Urgh. Not a good line up for me this series, Gilbert I can tolerate, Wang and Knappert I dont know, dont like the other 2. Luckily the format of the show can make contestants you dont like seem tolerable, so we'll see, I'll reserve any more series 4 comparisons for now.

Have you ever seen any of Acasters stand up BFM? I wasn't particularly a fan of his based on panel show appearances but the Netflix specials really won me over.

BeardFaceMan

I did, I watched the first one, got to the pay off to him kneeling down for ages and that was where I turned it off, not so much as a titter. I've been told I should probably watch one of the other ones instead as the first one isnt the best one but I cant see me doing that now, just have to admit I just dont get him. At all.

rasta-spouse

I'm a big Acaster s/up advocate. But he's a tiny bit annoying on tv panel at times. I think his deliberate not funny stuff works against him mostly here. But the "my eyes are circles" in ep2 got me through the show.

BeardFaceMan

I will admit, the eye circle line made me laugh, but not as much as Greg Davies sounding disgusted with him, "How dare you even speak" floored me. But the way he was wittering on endlessly about adding all the circles up, thats a good example of why I don't like him, boring unfunny rambling that doesn't really go anywhere.

Clownbaby

When I see James Acaster on things I always expect him to be a bit funnier than he actually is, so I get what you mean. He does often make me laugh out of sheer unexpectedness but I can see him getting grating on here if he keeps deliberately going for the completely stupid and confusing solutions for every task. Good thing is though that Greg usually spots when someone isn't even trying and rips the shit out of the person so James being irritating might make some friction that wasn't there in the last series I don't think. I think he's alright though.

kitsofan34

Acaster's stand up is astonishing and I like him very much. Buuuuut, I think he's very very aware of the dynamics of past Taskmaster series and is conceitedly trying to be the archetypal wacky contestant this year. There's even a interview with Little Alex Horne where he says he knows what he's here to provide.

Clownbaby

This is a thing that always happens the longer a show goes on; people start knowing what's expected of them. It's a bit of shame cause the format can eek weird/silly moments out of people anyway without them needing to play up. Seeing someone get genuinely confused and angry and tripping over themself while covered in egg and glitter or whatever is inherently funny anyway

Twed

Quote from: kitsofan34 on September 07, 2018, 11:38:07 AM
Acaster's stand up is astonishing and I like him very much. Buuuuut, I think he's very very aware of the dynamics of past Taskmaster series and is conceitedly trying to be the archetypal wacky contestant this year.
Surely Wang is doing that far more blatantly.

rasta-spouse

Quotepeople start knowing what's expected of them.

There is this feeling that "hey, it's series 7 of a hit show!" and the contestants know exactly what they need to do. It would be nice if it was a tad more natural, as there is nothing more suffocating than forced buffoonery. That's why, for me, it was great to see Paul Chowdry evolve over the show as a genuine oddity. Also Wang, Acaster and Knappit (Horne too) are all big players of the deliberately unfunny card. And you can have too much of a good thing.

Furthermore, how come the reddit thread for tm has like 200 posts and this has about 15 - is it a demographic thing?

Twed

Reddit is one of the biggest sites on the web.

rasta-spouse

Quote from: Twed on September 07, 2018, 05:02:24 PM
Reddit is one of the biggest sites on the web.

I'm a bit scared and confused by it, you see. But they seem very on top of "young people's" things, (like high top trainers).

So what about 4chan who's that for?

Twed

Scrapey Fish

Quote from: rasta-spouse on September 07, 2018, 05:01:11 PM
There is this feeling that "hey, it's series 7 of a hit show!" and the contestants know exactly what they need to do.

And yet somehow the two ladies seemed genuinely unaware that you are allowed to think laterally

Still recoil when I think of Kerry Godliman's appearance on Flatshare Slamdown where she tried to play the rounds straight and very competitively

Twed

DrGreggles

I've liked pretty much every TM contestant.
Even ones I don't usually like.

rasta-spouse

What I like is how it can give you a new insight into a comic that puts them in a different light. Sally Phillips' short films were rather impressive, Bob Mortimer's short films were perfectly strange, and Josh Widdecombe with those matchsticks - who knew, eh?

And what's more everything Noel Fielding (who is very much Bob Mortimer's wash-out student) did was reassuringly dull, re-affirming my image of him as a talentless poseur spraying sea salt into his crap hair on a Kasabian tour bus.

BritishHobo

I think Kerry's great in this. She's got a real exasperation which plays off against Alex's deliberately confusing silliness. Similarly I'm enjoying Acastar being quite chilled and attempting to walk the tasks. I don't think that's as similar to previous wacky contestants as people are saying.

To me, all the dynamics this series feel fresh.

Mango Chimes

UNFAIR PERSONAL JUDGEMENTS:

• Rhod - Like. Generally do like Rhod, or used to, but got tired of his fake angry schtick, so I'm glad he seems to have knocked that off a bit.
  • Kerry - Dislike. Seems boring. Was in Derek.
  • Jess - Really like. I've watched one or two episodes of her sitcom, which was quite good but for some reason I couldn't be arsed watching more. But she seems lovely and makes me laugh.
  • Acaster - Supposedly the new comedy messiah according to YOU LOT, and that's partly why I've not watched his stand-up. But mainly it's because I find him irritating and shit on everything I've seen him.
  • Wang - Crap. Do you think he was expecting one of his 'I haggled' jokes to be cut out? Because it was the exact same thing, but wasn't played as if part of the joke was him repeating the bit. Anyway, that aside, he's rubbish.
But! Twist! The interview bonus/trailer task things on YouTube have amended the above a bit. (Caution: they've made the very odd decision of asking them "Which task could you have done better?" or something like that, so they each give spoilers.)

• Gilbert - Love. His interview's a gem.
  • Godliman - Dislike. Seems boring. Derek.
  • Knappett - Really like. She's very likeable.
  • James - SHOCK! Turned it around, almost. Or at least a bit. Quite liked him here. He had a slightly different schtick, and in bits seemed non-schticky, and I liked him much better for it.
  • Phil - Liked him a bit better.

Twed

Maybe Wang's 'haggled' bit is one of those special tasks they have now. "Make the same joke in every episode".

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Twed on September 09, 2018, 01:08:02 PM
Maybe Wang's 'haggled' bit is one of those special tasks they have now. "Make the same joke in every episode".

Ah, could be... Although it's a bit of a high risk task. "Make yourself, a professional comedian, appear to be quite bad at comedy, in repeated and relatively high profile TV appearances, for a pay off in a separate episode."

BritishHobo

I assumed he's just decided it'd be funny to do it every time. I like it.

Twed

Yeah, I don't think it's that bad. If anybody criticising this somehow likes Stewart Lee splitting the audience in every act for the past decade we're going to have words.

DrGreggles

Quote from: BritishHobo on September 09, 2018, 03:11:21 PM
I assumed he's just decided it'd be funny to do it every time. I like it.

My first thought upon seeing him repeat it was that it was a runner.
Unless he's invoking the 'rule of three'.

BeardFaceMan

Or he's like Nish Kumar repeatedly saying "How do you like them apples?", it's just something stupid he always says. I'm sure Kumar must have had "What fucking apples?!" shouted at him a few times by friends over the years.

RenegadeScrew

I still like it a lot, but since the last season they've stretched it out a bit.  It must be a bit of a task (yeah?) to watch it on actual TV with beaucoup adverts.

As others have said TM makes me like contestants I don't like.  Horne is magnificent.

I've never been a big fan of the final task bit and usually zone out at the end of the show.