Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:07:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Edge Magazine 25th Anniversary

Started by The Boston Crab, August 17, 2018, 08:59:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

New Jack

Quote from: madhair60 on August 21, 2018, 11:26:59 PM
There are no good games mags currently running and there haven't been since NGamer finished, frankly

True. Recent Edges aren't that good. I won't even bother with others.

I'm glad I downloaded full archives of PC Zone and put them on Dropbox

Just wish I could find Sega Power. Simon Crook was hilarious

QDRPHNC

I would have been 16 when Edge came out, I used to read about 5 or 6 different video game ("computer game") mags a month back then. I liked Edge, but even at that age, I remember being wound up at those early issues for how desperate they came off to be seen as high-brow and different. You couldn't finish a page without reading something like "If you're considering subscribing to Edge (and remember, Edge isn't for everyone)..." as if we could fucking forget.

What was the name of that video game mag that existed for about three issues that was printed in landscape so you had to hold it on it's side?

Quote from: New Jack on August 21, 2018, 11:32:40 PM

Thank you for that! PC Zone, Your Sinclair and Super Play were the best 3 game magazines ever, not a coincidence as they shared many of the same writers.

We need a Your Sinclair thread...

MojoJojo

Quote from: madhair60 on August 21, 2018, 11:26:59 PM
There are no good games mags currently running and there haven't been since NGamer finished, frankly

Technically correct. Except it implies that NGamer was good.

madhair60

Quote from: MojoJojo on August 21, 2018, 11:45:10 PM
Technically correct. Except it implies that NGamer was good.

yes duh that's the intent duh duh buh bah buhh buhhh

Consignia

Quote from: New Jack on August 21, 2018, 11:32:40 PM

Cool, I had a few of those, can't remember which ones though, to be extact. Some of the 1993/4 ones look right. Do you know if you have the one if Brooker's fake game adverts, which included "Torn Asunder"? I wanted Kilk and Play for the sole intent of creating that game. Alas my young artistry and programming skills were below par.

New Jack

Quote from: Consignia on August 21, 2018, 11:56:50 PM
Cool, I had a few of those, can't remember which ones though, to be extact. Some of the 1993/4 ones look right. Do you know if you have the one if Brooker's fake game adverts, which included "Torn Asunder"? I wanted Kilk and Play for the sole intent of creating that game. Alas my young artistry and programming skills were below par.

Agh, I shouldn't have said the word "full" - let's say it's comprehensive

I remember reading Brooker mainly for sicknotes - I think I obtained this looking for the Lara Croft Cruelty Zoo! - and all his contributions were late 90s, I'd be surprised if it isn't there in some way unless it was a single issue feature?

I haven't looked at this for years... but ah, the Cruelty Zoo

Consignia

Quote from: New Jack on August 22, 2018, 12:08:21 AM
Agh, I shouldn't have said the word "full" - let's say it's comprehensive

It's still loads. Genuinely thanks for posting it.

IIRC it was mid-90's, but I can't remember the year. Torn Asunder must have been a summer circa 96, because I remember going mental for it whilst on holiday and I would have got Klik and Play around then. I may have a browse at somepoint through the collection.

biggytitbo

Does Stuart N Hardy still write into whatever remaining game mags there are?

New Jack

Quote from: biggytitbo on August 22, 2018, 02:40:13 PM
Does Stuart N Hardy still write into whatever remaining game mags there are?

Haha, who knows? I googled him and he's archived, the freak...

https://www.yoursinclair.co.uk/wiki/Hardy/Magazines
https://www.yoursinclair.co.uk/wiki/Hardy/1999

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Hecate on August 17, 2018, 01:22:55 PM
Didn't everybody stop buying magazines when they were ten or something, especially if they didn't have a disk sellotaped to the cover?

"Ooh edge gave it an 8, edge gave it a 9", yeah? Well the crab gave it C/E/-F (-tits).

Buying edge magazine, imagine that. Fucking grown adult sat there reading about nintendo. I fucking hate gamers.

Alright, Edgy Perrin.

Consignia

Bah, at least one of the issues I was thinking of was in October 1995: https://archive.org/stream/PCZone031Oct1995/PC%20Zone%20031%20%28Oct%201995%29_djvu.txt

Search for Pan's people in there.

Not in the archive sadly.

EDIT: But available here

https://archive.org/details/PCZone031Oct1995

Torn Asunder must have been September 1995.

Consignia

GET IN; NOVEMBER 1995

I think this may have a few more to add to your archive, Mr. Jack.
http://www.pixsoriginadventures.co.uk/PCZone/

New Jack

Ace! Good work finding it!

I love Brooker's little cartoons all over the mag, glad when he "made it big" too as it proved my taste is fucking immaculate!

madhair60