Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:26:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Promoting a website

Started by Small Man Big Horse, August 17, 2018, 01:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

I've recently launched a new blog / website and it's going fairly well so far, but I need to promote it more without spending any money and was wondering if anyone has any tips? I've set up a twitter account for it, and posted in a few Reddit subreddits (mostly promotional ones, but comedy as well, though jesus they're not the most friendly lot!) and have asked a couple of sites with links pages to link back to us, though such things seem to be a thing of the past these days. So yeah, any advice would be hugely appreciated.

New Jack

Without money? You need a Web ring

Think you should look into SEO, you can optimise for search engines yourself. I've worked in a business offering this and it wasn't particularly difficult, their business preyed on thickies and oldies.

doppelkorn

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: New Jack on August 17, 2018, 03:09:51 PM
Without money? You need a Web ring

Think you should look into SEO, you can optimise for search engines yourself. I've worked in a business offering this and it wasn't particularly difficult, their business preyed on thickies and oldies.

I'm not sure how to do the whole SEO thing on a wordpress site, but will have to look in to it, I imagine there are articles out there.

Quote from: doppelkorn on August 17, 2018, 03:31:41 PM
What's your audience?

Comedy fans. Sexy, sexy comedy fans.

Right now I've found getting interviews has led to the most traffic (and as long as he likes the questions I've managed to get one with a pretty well known US comic, so that should help) but would like to get the rest of the site's stats up as well.

Hey, Mr. *consults notes* Small Horse Man, with whom I have no affiliation, my interest is at peak piquedness. Drop a link for a brother?

Uncle TechTip

Just to let you know, it doesn't seem to work very well on Mobile chrome, the link in your profile just goes to a page with the header and menu but no content. I can get to the content via the menu.

These days I would have thought that social media is your best route for traffic, not many go back to blogs day after day, just in case you posted something new. Focus on getting word out when you have a big post to promote. Get noticed by other blogs so they make posts about you.

Quote from: Pseudopath on August 17, 2018, 04:43:19 PM

Well I was making a joke about him not linking it, but having avatars off and having an extension to customise the look and feel of CaB does seem to have its drawbacks, I must admit.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on August 17, 2018, 04:50:43 PM
Just to let you know, it doesn't seem to work very well on Mobile chrome, the link in your profile just goes to a page with the header and menu but no content. I can get to the content via the menu.

These days I would have thought that social media is your best route for traffic, not many go back to blogs day after day, just in case you posted something new. Focus on getting word out when you have a big post to promote. Get noticed by other blogs so they make posts about you.

Ah, not sure how to change that on mobile chrome but will look in to it, thanks for pointing it out.

And thanks for the social media info, I currently post on twitter whenever any new content is posted, and will look in to contacting other blogs in the hope they'll post about us.

Quote from: Steve Lampkins on August 17, 2018, 05:26:18 PM
Well I was making a joke about him not linking it, but having avatars off and having an extension to customise the look and feel of CaB does seem to have its drawbacks, I must admit.

I know Neil (understandably) doesn't like people posting / spamming blog links, which is why I didn't do so, but yeah, there is a link underneath my profile pic for anyone who doesn't use such an extension.

Looks good my man, only just noticed your profile link. It's quality.

biggytitbo

Yes SEO is your best bet if you have zero budget. Break down your pages into strong words and phrases and make sure they're in the url, title, the h1 and the first block of text. Depending on how much control you have ensure this is as high up in the document as possible. Make sir edits fast and has a good mobile/responsive view.

The other thing is content, don't write about things that big mainstream sites have done to death, your stuff will just be buried in comparison. I'd do a search beforehand and see what other sites come up for that subject, and pick topics that are under covered or not at all, or things you can bring a different angle to.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: The Boston Crab on August 17, 2018, 05:57:44 PM
Looks good my man, only just noticed your profile link. It's quality.

Thank you, that's very kind of you to say.

Quote from: biggytitbo on August 17, 2018, 06:14:40 PM
Yes SEO is your best bet if you have zero budget. Break down your pages into strong words and phrases and make sure they're in the url, title, the h1 and the first block of text. Depending on how much control you have ensure this is as high up in the document as possible. Make sir edits fast and has a good mobile/responsive view.

The other thing is content, don't write about things that big mainstream sites have done to death, your stuff will just be buried in comparison. I'd do a search beforehand and see what other sites come up for that subject, and pick topics that are under covered or not at all, or things you can bring a different angle to.

And thank you too, that's great advice, right now we're not being picked up by google and other search engines but I only just submitted the site and apparently it takes a few weeks for that to happen. And I agree with you on the article front, sometimes it's going to be inevitable that we cover material that has been done a fair deal (especially when it comes to interviews, but the latter is great for traffic when the comedians retweet the link, plus I love doing them so plan to continue) but will definitely try to cover topics that haven't been done that often. Apart from a forthcoming piece on Paddington 2. I bloody love that movie and don't care so many other people have written about it elsewhere! :)

bgmnts

Website looks great. Keep it up!

However, on my 70mb broadband, each page takes about five seconds to load. Are you hosting this yourself?

Small Man Big Horse

Thank you both. And it's a wordpress site so I'm not currently hosting it, there's only one image per page too so it shouldn't take that long, shall have to do a search and see if there's any way of speeding it up.

MojoJojo

Cards in phone boxes can be a cheap and effective method of advertising.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: MojoJojo on August 19, 2018, 09:54:14 AM
Cards in phone boxes can be a cheap and effective method of advertising.

I tried that a while back and it didn't work.