Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:00:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wot Do U Call It? Nu-Garage Ambstep?

Started by Chairman Bodog, August 17, 2018, 10:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chairman Bodog

I'm looking for more Burialesque toonage. I've got a banging headswim I cater to a nug https://open.spotify.com/user/spunkdunker/playlist/6kUx2JAD10S93ygFwmW5Cg?si=3No2j1AWTJ-ldxobOgG12Q

Through my epitonic trudging of bubblebath in a smokehouse rave vibing I've lost track of artists. I'll give you a back slap of some deathly sexy punch hugs I want.

https://youtu.be/du4FL1AK99U

https://youtu.be/kmNIE6S9PZM

https://youtu.be/aF6PuBMPcDQ

Funcrusher

alan nagsworth

One thing I've learned from trawling this music over the years trying to find something halfway near as good as Burial is that none of it is halfway as good as Burial.

monkfromhavana

hermitical

Not Burial-esque but I put this in the same category of headphone street listening, it's dark, subtle and filled with tension

Raime - Tooth

Andy Stott conjures a similar vibe but more in the dub techno realm.

Luxury Problems is the one to go for. Sleepless is my favourite track probably.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: The Boston Crab on August 25, 2018, 10:58:58 AM
Andy Stott conjures a similar vibe but more in the dub techno realm.

Luxury Problems is the one to go for. Sleepless is my favourite track probably.

Yeah, Stott is excellent.

In a similar vein of very abstract techno stuff, SHXCXCHCXSH's album SsSsSsSsSsSsSsSsSsSsSsSsSsSsSs (yeah, alright) is the best thing I heard in 2016. Their sound is phenomenal. It sounds like it's a transmission heard from the deepest depths of space or the bottom of the ocean. I like to listen to it when I'm on the tube and imagining I'm miles below sea level going further and further down.

Good stuff that, Nags. Been hammering it the past week of an evening.

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: Funcrusher on August 21, 2018, 12:16:56 PM
I guess this might fit - Pangaea - 'Router'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=weT-Jrw5e90

For me Pangaea's imaginatively titled Pangaea EP is the best thing he's done, and it's way better than anything Burial has made since the 2nd album (excluding his collaborations with Four Tet & Thom Yorke).

As for the question - the roots of Burial are worth checking out (El B - The Roots of El B) along with some similar 'dark' garage like Darqwan.  Burial takes the beat from El B's brilliant Buck & Bury for the first tune on untrue. 

Also Kode9 (the hyperdub owner) put Burial onto Pole and Basic Channel (neither is garage) which is where Burial got a lot of the crackle/noise inspiration from.  Pole's Steingarten is the best album I've heard from him, and Basic Channel's early stuff collected on 'BCD' is some of the best stuff ever made (up there with Aphex's first ambient works).

Quote from: RenegadeScrew on September 08, 2018, 07:58:22 PM
For me Pangaea's imaginatively titled Pangaea EP is the best thing he's done, and it's way better than anything Burial has made since the 2nd album (excluding his collaborations with Four Tet & Thom Yorke).

As for the question - the roots of Burial are worth checking out (El B - The Roots of El B) along with some similar 'dark' garage like Darqwan.  Burial takes the beat from El B's brilliant Buck & Bury for the first tune on untrue. 

Also Kode9 (the hyperdub owner) put Burial onto Pole and Basic Channel (neither is garage) which is where Burial got a lot of the crackle/noise inspiration from.  Pole's Steingarten is the best album I've heard from him, and Basic Channel's early stuff collected on 'BCD' is some of the best stuff ever made (up there with Aphex's first ambient works).

Interesting post but the Thom Yorke and Four Tet collabs are very slight compared to Truant, Rough Sleeper and Ashtray Wasp, never mind the Come Down To Us EP.

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: The Boston Crab on September 09, 2018, 05:41:49 AM
Interesting post but the Thom Yorke and Four Tet collabs are very slight compared to Truant, Rough Sleeper and Ashtray Wasp, never mind the Come Down To Us EP.

Yeah I don't think he's done anything of much worth since the 2nd LP.  The collaborations are the best things any of the three of them have done since their best stuff (Rounds, Eraser, Untrue).  While I'm talking shite I may as well add that I have a sneaky suspicion that Four Tet is actually Burial.

Anyway it is maybe fairer to say that Burial's first two albums are up there with anything, and everything since isn't.  Even if I thought the singles were good they'd never compare.

Kode9's singles (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-82P05vgM0) and album over the same period are way better imo.

In any case, my stupid and weird tastes should not put anyone off Pole or more importantly Basic Channel.

Fair enough, you've obviously heard the stuff and know what you prefer. I'd say that Truant / Rough Sleeper is the best thing he's ever done. I love the patchwork quilt approach and all the tonal shifts. There are arguably more different ideas in those two tracks than in his entire first two albums (which I love).

Also, he's a different bloke definitely but he went to school with Four Tet.

And yes to Basic Channel. Pole I like but find to plough a very similar furrow for a little tool long.

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: The Boston Crab on September 09, 2018, 11:28:07 AM
Fair enough, you've obviously heard the stuff and know what you prefer. I'd say that Truant / Rough Sleeper is the best thing he's ever done. I love the patchwork quilt approach and all the tonal shifts. There are arguably more different ideas in those two tracks than in his entire first two albums (which I love).

Something has been lost for me, he has maybe started using a DAW rather than an audio editor although that is maybe just me reading too much into stories he tells.  Eg.  He said somewhere once the vocal samples were his mates singing into their mobiles!

QuoteAlso, he's a different bloke definitely but he went to school with Four Tet.

Yeah I know the story but there is something about it that is fishy.  About 10% of me will always think it is Four Tet.