Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:47:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

#BOPO

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, August 18, 2018, 07:50:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45224668

#BOPO Y'All, I'm strong confident and in control. Yes, I got the second type of diabetes and my blood pressure is absurdly high, my diet sucks, my lifestyle choices are poor and my back and heart will soon be a complete wreck putting a burden on my loved ones and inevitably health services who could otherwise be devoting resources to tackling problems that aren't self-inflicted.

But I don't need no pressure from no media or no corporation telling me how I should look no thank you ma'am. My need to feel accepted outweighs my desire to maintain the only body I will ever get.

----

So when will Body Positivity, the movement, stop being about normalising the condition that has led to people being ill (and unhappy) to begin with, and start focusing on how to help people of all body shapes live healthily - not just picking on obese people here, those who under-eat, or are poorly nourished/under-exercise. Feeling good mentally, in my view goes hand in hand with healthy choices - regular mealtimes, varied nutritious diet, and frequent exercise - including a fun form of group exercise ideally. When people use Body Positive I tend to think of that, not using a hashtag as a crutch.

Obviously I appreciate the dynamic behind it. No-one likes to feel belittled or inferior or targeted, so the pushback is an attempt to change the norm, to turn excess into acts of self-love; fun guilty treats, duvet days, cheeky Nandos, lol just ate a full can of Pringles all by myself, the body image stuff is about changing flab into "curves", how sensuous, and unwise attempts to make people with eating disorders feel valued by telling them "I'd give anything to swap my body for yours" (hang on, a minute ago you were body positive?)

What is the obsession with individual esteem and ego? Why is that the pinnacle? Poor choices can knock decades off your life - isn't that worth acknowledging? He died aged 55 of everything of the body, but by god was that man a focused positive person who never let anything get him down (apart from when he died of an accumulation doing things wrong thousands of times)

Maybe the answer is to just fuck ourselves into oblivion, push our bodies to breaking point and check out nice and early, gurning into selfie-cams as we go. See you on the ward everyone #bopo

biggytitbo

Does that article say 715 kids? That doesn't sound like a lot.

Anyway, remember that fat comedienne who got into a spat with cancer research because she said their cancer awareness ads (obesity is a major cause of cancer)  hurt her feelings? I think we need to be less sensitive to people's feelings and more sensitive to them not dying prematurely of preventable diseases. Bit old fashioned perhaps.

Paul Calf

I'm just happy that people have found a reason to be happy about the state's and the MSM's strict policing of people's lives.

Paul Calf

Quote from: biggytitbo on August 18, 2018, 08:27:40 AM

Anyway, remember that fat comedienne who got into a spat with cancer research because she said their cancer awareness ads (obesity is a major cause of cancer)  hurt her feelings? I think we need to be less sensitive to people's feelings and more sensitive to them not dying prematurely of preventable diseases. Bit old fashioned perhaps.

Is it an either/or proposition? Does doing one preclude the other?

finnquark

I think we need to be less sensitive to people's feelings and more sensitive to them not dying prematurely of preventable diseases. Bit old fashioned perhaps.

Yes, a return to the public health campaigns of the 1400s is called for.

Fonz

Anyway, remember that fat comedienne who got into a spat with cancer research because she said their cancer awareness ads (So sorry, curvy people . Obesity is a major cause of cancer)  hurt her feelings? I think we need to be less sensitive to people's feelings and more sensitive to them not dying prematurely of preventable diseases. Bit old fashioned perhaps.

Corrected for #BOPO

Buelligan

Quote from: finnquark on August 18, 2018, 09:03:22 AM

Fuck me, at last someone talking a bit of sense. 

Johnny Yesno

Sneering cunts always neglect to highlight the important information:

QuoteAlmost half of those treated for type 2 diabetes in 2016-17 were black or Asian, the figures show. They were also more likely to be female and living in a deprived area.

thenoise

Are they unhappy because they overeat and don't ever exercise, or do they overeat and not exercise because they are unhappy?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on August 18, 2018, 10:12:53 AM
Sneering cunts always neglect to highlight the important information:

Yeah, you're right, this topic totally cancelled out the reams of writing I've already devoted to social justice.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: thenoise on August 18, 2018, 10:15:43 AM
Are they unhappy because they overeat and don't ever exercise, or do they overeat and not exercise because they are unhappy?

Well, that's a better question than the fuckwitted one in the op: 'Why do people get defensive when other people criticise their bodies?'

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on August 18, 2018, 10:28:50 AM
Well, that's a better question than the fuckwitted one in the op: 'Why do people get defensive when other people criticise their bodies?'

That's not what was being asked or even implied but thanks for attending today. You can have your pretend discussion in another room with some cardboard cutouts.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 18, 2018, 10:30:27 AM
That's not what was being asked or even implied but thanks for attending today. You can have your pretend discussion in another room with some cardboard cutouts.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 18, 2018, 07:50:09 AM
What is the obsession with individual esteem and ego?

Emma Raducanu

I was sitting on a step wearing swim shorts. After a while, I noticed my scrotum was hanging just left of the protective internal netting. Couldn't believe it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteWhat is the obsession with individual esteem and ego?

Which is a far broader question and is only one several other points the post makes.

I'm not denying you the right to have a debate about your shitty question which you've attempted to railroad the thread down - just don't for a second think you're going to pin someone else's views on me, or that a discussion about that is going to happen in this topic. Argue in good faith or leave.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 18, 2018, 10:37:11 AM
Which is a far broader question and is only one several other points the post makes.

No, it's the question that is at the heart of the rest of the trite observations in your post.

QuoteI'm not denying you the right to have a debate about your shitty question which you've attempted to railroad the thread down - just don't for a second think you're going to pin someone else's views on me, or that a discussion about that is going to happen in this topic. Argue in good faith or leave.

If you're not questioning why people want to protect their egos and their self-esteem when their body shapes are being criticised, what are you questioning?

DoesNotFollow

Perhaps more why someone might want to put the importance of self-esteem above health?

Pijlstaart

A thin can fit in many places, whilst a fat cannot, there are advantages and disadvantages to both, and it is all context-dependent. I fit in the great stove at Willy Ralmo and was cooked for three days. When I came out I was still pink in the middle, largely thanks to the insulation of my dried-filth carapace, but I was miffed, and were I much fatter it could all have been avoided. It gets even more complicated though. A thin man with an erection might get stuck trying to climb up a chimney, whilst a fat man could squeeze through, his soft pudding-like form distorting to most efficiently fit in the space, or he could form a seal and move up through vacuum forces. We can't judge.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: DoesNotFollow on August 18, 2018, 10:55:52 AM
Perhaps more why some might want to put the importance of self-esteem above health?

If you lack self-esteem, you're probably not going to give much of fuck about your health, especially at the point where self-esteem is in the present and health problems are in the future. Obviously, when the health problems start, that further undermines self-esteem, and so on.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Pijlstaart on August 18, 2018, 11:04:43 AM
A thin can fit in many places, whilst a fat cannot, there are advantages and disadvantages to both, and it is all context-dependent. I fit in the great stove at Willy Ralmo and was cooked for three days. When I came out I was still pink in the middle, largely thanks to the insulation of my dried-filth carapace, but I was miffed, and were I much fatter it could all have been avoided. It gets even more complicated though. A thin man with an erection might get stuck trying to climb up a chimney, whilst a fat man could squeeze through, his soft pudding-like form distorting to most efficiently fit in the space, or he could form a seal and move up through vacuum forces. We can't judge.

Wise words, as always.

bgmnts

Isn't it just easier to say we are absolutely fucked as a species and leave it at that?

Although I am obese so I would say that. Hmmmm.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: DolphinFace on August 18, 2018, 10:32:58 AM
I was sitting on a step wearing swim shorts. After a while, I noticed my scrotum was hanging just left of the protective internal netting. Couldn't believe it.

I was sat in a dressing gown and pants once and my then housemate said 'can you do us a favour and stuff your bollocks back in please mate'.

kittens

i suppose this is the best thread to post this, i have managed to lose so much weight recently that this is currently the first time in my adult life that to my knowledge i have had a healthy bmi. no more fat man me cheers. please everybody now tell me how good i am

DoesNotFollow

Quote from: kittens on August 18, 2018, 01:25:04 PM
i suppose this is the best thread to post this, i have managed to lose so much weight recently that this is currently the first time in my adult life that to my knowledge i have had a healthy bmi. no more fat man me cheers. please everybody now tell me how good i am
That's great to hear, how are you feeling about losing the weight?

kittens

body positive baby. i'm also quite sure i will not be able to keep it off for long and will die fat, but for the time being it's good.

pancreas

You did seem distinctly less fat when I saw you last, but I am reluctant to do the whole 'kittens, is it me or are you much less fat?' because it might be that you're just wearing a slimming t-shirt and in fact you're even more fat than you were.

Paul Calf

Funny, that. The main impression I have of kittens is that he's very slender.

Twed

Quote from: finnquark on August 18, 2018, 09:03:22 AM
I'm pretty sure Shoulders would like that, the medieval fuck.

Hate threads like this, written with a complete misunderstanding of how people and society work. Almost all people have significant issues that they are bad at dealing with. People externalize their struggles and social media makes that easy. If there was a hashtag for being a pompous, prematurely-60-years-old halberd enthusiast* and your social circle didn't end at the borders of the village green then maybe somebody could start a thread about you, Shoulders.

* there never would be, because nobody wants to voluntarily think about such people

Johnny Yesno

bgmnts

Quote from: Twed on August 18, 2018, 09:18:35 PM
I'm pretty sure Shoulders would like that, the medieval fuck.

Hate threads like this, written with a complete misunderstanding of how people and society work. Almost all people have significant issues that they are bad at dealing with. People externalize their struggles and social media makes that easy. If there was a hashtag for being a pompous, prematurely-60-years-old halberd enthusiast* and your social circle didn't end at the borders of the village green then maybe somebody could start a thread about you, shoulders.

* there never would be, because nobody wants to voluntarily think about such people

Being that won't prematurely kill you - maybe increases likelihood of murder - or put a massive strain on the health service.