Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:10:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

#BOPO

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, August 18, 2018, 07:50:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

Quote from: Fonz on August 21, 2018, 11:04:01 AM
I get some of the negative feeling towards my comments, but maybe some people are missing the point.

Who do you think is responsible for what you eat, and what you feed your kids? The government? The MSM? Big Food?

It's like you didn't bother to read the thread and just asked the question again.

Run along, now.

Twit 2

I get some of the negative feeling towards my comments, but maybe some people are missing the point.

Who do you think is responsible for what you eat, and what you feed your kids? The government? The MSM? Big Food?

Trevor Brooking.

phes

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on August 20, 2018, 06:43:01 PM

Really though, the biggest problem is all those offices like mine where people bring in cakes every day. My one concession to being a non fatso is cutting out sugary treats, but I will obviously eat those things because they are on the shelf right next to the desk I sit at for about 3-4 hours a day. Imagine what that must be like for someone who actually is struggling with their weight! It'd be like running a homeless shelter with little bags of needle drugs and a pile of lighters and spoons, with a sign underneath reading "YOU ARE UNDER NO OBLIGATION TO ASSOCIATE THESE ITEMS WITH EACH OTHER". Madness. Stop bringing them in, people! I should just go in one day and smash all the cakes with my fists to send a strong enough message, but I reckon that might just lead to a disciplinary. Maybe I'll do it after hours, so no-one can pin it on a suspect.

I've worked for the NHS for much of my life and am retraining in an allied health role. I've always worked in places with a very high turnover of patients, and so between patient gifts and staff goodies there has always been a constant supply of cakes and sweets. Where I'm training each treatment area (8 areas each with about 4 members of staff on any given shift) as we speak has a 2ft x 2ft x 2ft cupboard rammed with about 20 trays of Thornton's or other cakes, sweets and goodies. None of the staff smoke (oncology) but it's pretty much seen as normal to allow this infinite landslide of sugary, fatty treats to sit about, on workstations, right under the noses of everybody working. I have one simple rule and that is never, ever take and eat one of these items. Once I start it's hard to stop and the fact that it's free and 'has to be eaten' makes it seem unlike if you were going into a shop and personally buying everything you ate. It should be stopped, it's absolutely crazy for that to happen in the department in which I work.

I am of course a lifelong nicotine addict (vaper) and in no position to judge the rampant sugar addictions of the staff around me. Interestingly of the few men in the department, none partake. They probably go home and drink a half litre of Glen's Vodka

EOLAN

Quote from: phes on August 21, 2018, 01:49:06 PM
They probably go home and drink a half litre of Glen's Vodka

Glen must be getting right pissed off with them.

Beagle 2

I think there are commercial reasons that certain types of obviously unhealthy processed food are freely and cheaply available, and cultural reasons why we don't all have the time or money that we would like to devote to looking after our health in the way that we should. My world to a small extent (and other people's to a very large extent) is set up in a way that means it is more difficult than it really should be to access healthy food at short notice. It's a convenience food culture not just because people are lazy, but because time and money is short, and it's easier to mass-produce and distribute crappy food to a market of depressed, tired, skint or uneducated people.

If you go to a decent festival you can see all manner of quick, healthy meals being produced for the crowds. It would be nice to see those sort of options in towns and villages instead of a fast food chain, toastie from a café, shop pre-packed butty or pub burger.

A good proportion of people who eat well are doing so as some sort of lifestyle choice that they work hard at, or are on a "health kick" and strictly following a regime to achieve a goal. Fair play to them, but I don't really see why it has to be hard work. It does require legislation to take those sugary drinks off the shelves, take the nasties out of ready meals, to promote and encourage better and cheaper options.

But you are right that it's ultimately my responsibility, and I am going to try and sort it out. It's a daunting task though, and I wish it was as simple as just choosing the right options three times a day.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 21, 2018, 12:44:42 PM
It's like you didn't bother to read the thread and just asked the question again.

Brain's too fat and lazy.

Johnny Yesno

I've just come across this excellent video by ContraPoints about fat shaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsdaLqAZ9hA