Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:23:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

#BOPO

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, August 18, 2018, 07:50:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

Willing to bet that most people who write #BOPO are American and not covered by a health service.

Also, let's actually see how that tag is used: https://twitter.com/search?q=%23bopo&src=typd

Oh look, perfectly regular people and not the huffing right-wing caricatures painted by the OP.

bgmnts

Okay but glorifying obesity is still a problem though yeah? I'm not becoming old fashioned or anything?

Twed

I think the "glorifying obesity" is an uncharitable, loaded description of what we're seeing here. I think that's how you describe it to remove nuance so that it's more hate-able.

bgmnts

Quote from: Twed on August 18, 2018, 09:35:12 PM
I think the "glorifying obesity" is an uncharitable, loaded description of what we're seeing here. I think that's how you describe it to remove nuance so that it's more hate-able.

Sugar coating obesity, then.

Paul Calf

Quote from: bgmnts on August 18, 2018, 09:25:57 PM
...put a massive strain on the health service.

No, but plenty of things do: playing rugby, rock climbing, mountaineering, riding motorbikes, boxing, having babies...

When people choose to focus on obesity or drug use as a 'strain on the health service', they're unconsciously revealing their own hang-ups; people who want a nice little pat on the head from the government and MSM for indulging in their grotty little prejudices. As though they'd face a barrage of condemnation for saying "lol fat cunts rite why doesn't the NHS just refuse to treat them because their NI contributions are somehow invalidated by the particular lifestyle they've chosen".

It's hypocritical bullshit and we should be better than this.

chveik

Quote from: bgmnts on August 18, 2018, 09:33:25 PM
glorifying obesity is still a problem though yeah?

Seriously? Nobody does that.
Plus, we are talking about children, so it's probably genetic, and it's definitely not their choice.
The OP's rant is quite offensive.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 18, 2018, 09:37:52 PM
No, but plenty of things do: playing rugby, rock climbing, mountaineering, riding motorbikes, boxing, having babies...

Not forgetting fucking football. And that thing which is about as dangerous as ecstasy, horse riding.

bgmnts

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 18, 2018, 09:37:52 PM

When people choose to focus on obesity or drug use as a 'strain on the health service', they're unconsciously revealing their own hang-ups; people who want a nice little pat on the head from the government and MSM for indulging in their grotty little prejudices. As though they'd face a barrage of condemnation for saying "lol fat cunts rite why doesn't the NHS just refuse to treat them because their NI contributions are somehow invalidated by the particular lifestyle they've chosen."

I'd have to think NHS are strained more with weight and drug related problems than accidents caused by sports and outdoor activities.

Anyway, this thread isnt about obesity being singled out is it? Just someone unhappy at the state of it, of which I agree as an obese person.

Twed

Isn't living a long life actually the biggest burden on the NHS?

Paul Calf

Quote from: bgmnts on August 18, 2018, 09:41:51 PM
Just someone unhappy at the state of it, of which I agree as an obese person.

No, I agree and it wasn't really aimed at you. It's aimed at people disguising their prejudices under a thin veil of concern or social engineering.

pancreas

I tend to agree with Shoulders that we shouldn't have so many obese children. You might have to start telling them not to be obese in order to achieve that goal.

Twed

Quote from: pancreas on August 18, 2018, 09:51:06 PMYou might have to start telling them not to be obese in order to achieve that goal.
Going to go out on a limb here and suggest that not knowing that being obese is unhealthy is probably not a major contributing factor to obesity.

A lot of people really seem to believe that the obese are a dumber, lesser people. Simple folk who just don't know.

pancreas

What's your solution?

Edit:

Let them eat cake?

Paul Calf

Pitchforks and a running track.

bgmnts

Quote from: Twed on August 18, 2018, 09:49:24 PM

A long, healthy life?

No idea.

biggytitbo

There's this boy at work who is so superbly morbidly obese when you get close to him you can hardly believe he's real, like he's a Jim hensons creature workshop creation. I so badly want to see him naked and whilst that might sound a bit pervy it is purely a scientific curiosity as I want to see how he works from an engineering point of view as its miracle when in his defacto muumuu how he manages to walk upright.

bgmnts

See that's a bit harsh there.

Twit 2

There are some fat fucks who can't help it. Not a question of desire or lifestyles, they're stuck that way and more's the pity. There are others (99% I guess, I'm not a doctor or a statistician, but whatever) who IN THEORY could fuck that weight right off, ceteris parabis. Of course there's the monstrous spectre of human nature getting in the way, which I fear our friend Shoulders may have underestimated. Not everyone has the iron will power to subsist on gruel in order to get a handjob from a Turk in some tourist trail baths twice a year. BUT, these 99% of the afflicted, the ones who COULD get down the park for some laps...maybe they don't want it quite enough. As a profoundly bald man who curses his appearance hourly, would I get the fuck off my arse and indulge in some exercise if it made my hair grow back?? Meh, probably not. But I'm quite exceptionally and astonishingly lazy. But a less lazy and equally bald twat? Yer, I reckon. So this all proves that most people could be thinner if they wanted to, but can't be arsed, so fuck 'em.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: pancreas on August 18, 2018, 09:54:40 PM
What's your solution?

Edit:

Let them eat cake?

For starters, we could be a bit more forceful with the food industry and their marketing buddies. Then we could tackle the things that make people seek gratification through food and alcohol, like being depressed or just too fucking tired and/or broke to do anything else.

I can't see how undermining people's attempts to be positive about themselves helps in the slightest.

bgmnts

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on August 18, 2018, 11:26:02 PM
For starters, we could be a bit more forceful with the food industry and their marketing buddies. Then we could tackle the things that make people seek gratification through food and alcohol, like being depressed or just too fucking tired and/or broke to do anything else.

This.

pancreas

Quote from: Twit 2 on August 18, 2018, 11:24:33 PM
So this all proves that most people could be thinner if they wanted to, but can't be arsed, so fuck 'em.

I think we were thinking of the children. For example, are the parents to blame?

Johnny Yesno

Not everyone has the iron will power to subsist on gruel in order to get a handjob from a Turk in some tourist trail baths twice a year.

Quite.

My job makes me miserable now. Exercise and dieting makes me even more miserable now. Exercise and dieting might make me happier some months in the future. Beer definitely takes the edge off now.

It's not difficult to understand, really, is it?

#BeerGutPositive

Buelligan

Being a drain on the NHS is hardly a useful yardstick any way.  If it were, if it were the goal, we should just terminate or imprison and control everyone that might cost it something and keep the lovely NHS empty and polished.

I think the growth in obesity is a concern, my own shallow thoughts on it are that society and the way we run our shit thinks too much about food, we ritualise it IMO and tend to present it as some sort of treat or reward or luxury opportunity, I think a lot of that comes from cynical manipulation by people who make their fortunes selling it.  I think a lot of people who now mostly live sedentary lives still eat three meals a day and snacks and desserts and whatevs as if they needed to take in the calories of someone doing a ten hour day down the pit and coming home to no heating, so there's probably a bit of an imbalance there calorie-wise.

I also think we've moved more an more away from physical activity, rich people in Britain can live in safer areas where there are riding stables, swimming pools and open fields and gyms and shit.  Poorer areas tend not to be as safe, kids go to McTurds or stay indoors.

Zetetic

Certainly being both poor and elderly tends to produce a fair bit of demand (but some of that's to do with obesity as well, of course).

(Whether that's a burden is a different question, both for the logical reasons that Buelligan sets out and because its not like resources actually follow the demand.)

manticore

So this all proves that most people could be thinner if they wanted to, but can't be arsed, so fuck 'em.

I am not knowledgeable on this subject, but one thing I know is that thoughout much of my 20s I ate almost continually from getting up to going to bed, nearly all high calorie food, and did hardly any exercise. Yet the worst I got was a bit dumpy. So I have a suspicion that something is going on with the levels of obesity we're seeing now that is not just to do with lifestyle.

tookish

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on August 18, 2018, 11:26:02 PM

I can't see how undermining people's attempts to be positive about themselves helps in the slightest.

This is a marvellous remark.

I think there's a fundamental misunderstanding of body positivity in the OP. Being body positive doesn't mean being against the idea of losing weight, exercising, eating a healthy diet, avoiding diabetes, and so on. It's more to do with trying to avoid heaping oneself with shame for the body one has. And negativity fundamentally doesn't work. It's far easier to make changes to your life and your body when you are coming from a place of self-love.

To my mind, it's entirely understandable that fat people will push back against the idea that their bodies and lifestyles are repulsive and immoral. Meekly accepting abuse is no way to live.

(This may be incoherent and if so I do apologise- I'm still a little drunk from last night. Had more than a single unit of alcohol for the first time in about eight months and it hit me hard.)

Paul Calf

There are some fat fucks who can't help it. Not a question of desire or lifestyles, they're stuck that way and more's the pity. There are others (99% I guess, I'm not a doctor or a statistician, but whatever) who IN THEORY could fuck that weight right off, ceteris parabis. Of course there's the monstrous spectre of human nature getting in the way, which I fear our friend Shoulders may have underestimated. Not everyone has the iron will power to subsist on gruel in order to get a handjob from a Turk in some tourist trail baths twice a year. BUT, these 99% of the afflicted, the ones who COULD get down the park for some laps...maybe they don't want it quite enough. As a profoundly bald man who curses his appearance hourly, would I get the fuck off my arse and indulge in some exercise if it made my hair grow back?? Meh, probably not. But I'm quite exceptionally and astonishingly lazy. But a less lazy and equally bald twat? Yer, I reckon. So this all proves that most people could be thinner if they wanted to, but can't be arsed, so fuck 'em.

An interesting demonstration of what happens when people are encouraged to indulge their prejudices against people they imagine not to be present - glibly condemning them to suffering and death. It's not hard to see the real reasons for Trump, Brexit and historical abuses of power in democracies.

idunnosomename

no longer will i be publicly shamed for my wheelbarrow scrotum. i will wheel around my grotesquely oversized testicles through Primark with pride. #bopo #wheelbarrowscrotum

Twit 2

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 19, 2018, 07:42:01 AM
An interesting demonstration of what happens when people are encouraged to indulge their prejudices against people they imagine not to be present - glibly condemning them to suffering and death. It's not hard to see the real reasons for Trump, Brexit and historical abuses of power in democracies.

Wtf? Are you serious? Cos I certainly wasn't being in mine. Not sure how much flippantly and ironically I could have written that. Comedy forum...remember?

Beagle 2

The area where I work, it's a shitty area. There's a McDonalds, couple of cafes serving slop. The convenience stores are packed with chocolate, crisps, fizzy drinks, bacon and eggs, frozen pizza, pies - the "essentials". There's a chippy. It's not easy enough to eat healthily, especially in poor areas. It should be easier, fresh healthy food should be available everywhere. It's the market and culture that needs to change, slagging off fat people and saying "simply make a hearty vegetable casserole" isn't going to achieve much.