Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:26:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Who would win in a fist fight between Steve Hillage and Steve Hackett?

Started by Flouncer, August 18, 2018, 01:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flouncer

Old Spillage would be much more likely to be suffering from the deleterious effects of illicit substances, but Hackett seems like more of a middle class jellyfish who wouldn't be able to handle himself in a one-on-one prog rock rumble. I'm hesitant to pick a side - I think it would come down to who wanted it more.

Bazooka

Excuse my ignorance but I'm not familiar with either(willing to check on YouTube later when I can), so all I can ask is who has the best hook, and who has the biggest jaw?

Shit Good Nose

Hackett squeezed a glass in his hand until it broke out of anger just as The Lamb tour was about to begin (thus delaying it), so I'll go with him.  On the other hand, Hackett looks like a homeless these days and has a shit mullet, whilst Hillage looks like a more respectable member of society. 

On further consideration, I think it will go to points and a judges decision.

Quote from: Bazooka on August 18, 2018, 01:33:49 PM
Excuse my ignorance but I'm not familiar with either(willing to check on YouTube later when I can), so all I can ask is who has the best hook, and who has the biggest jaw?

Fucking hell...

BlodwynPig

How about

Phil Collins vs. Pierre Moerlen
Jannick Top vs. Roger Waters

Busters and Bruisers.

PaulTMA

Quote from: Flouncer on August 18, 2018, 01:22:52 PM
Old Spillage would be much more likely to be suffering from the deleterious effects of illicit substances, but Hackett seems like more of a middle class jellyfish who wouldn't be able to handle himself in a one-on-one prog rock rumble. I'm hesitant to pick a side - I think it would come down to who wanted it more.

Hackett has described his upbringing as being working class in the past, so presumably he could even take on Terry from East 17

He sounds like a sound bloke http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/celebritymoney/article-4327656/I-100-week-Geneisis-says-STEVE-HACKETT.html

Maurice Yeatman

Blood on the rooftops after Hillage floors Hackett with a glorious om biff. He faces Steve Howe in the final.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on August 18, 2018, 06:37:01 PM
Blood on the rooftops after Hillage floors Hackett with a glorious om biff. He faces Steve Howe in the final.

Howe forefeits as he actually died thirty years ago, but no one bothered telling him.

BlodwynPig

Shit Good Nose

Very good but also rubbish at the same time.  Nicely done, Blods.

Obviously John McLaughlin sitting way up in a box watching over it all and rubbing his hands together saying "goooood, gooooood..." like the Emperor.

And Gary Green sits in the corner whilst everyone ignores him, as usual.

Maurice Yeatman

Booooo, I thought this was Ultimate Steve H Fighting. I swear I saw Howe twat Steve Harris after boring him to sleep with The Ancient.

Flouncer

Quote from: PaulTMA on August 18, 2018, 02:26:12 PM
Hackett has described his upbringing as being working class in the past, so presumably he could even take on Terry from East 17

He sounds like a sound bloke http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/celebritymoney/article-4327656/I-100-week-Geneisis-says-STEVE-HACKETT.html

That surprises me - I always thought of the Genesis lads as poncey public school types.

I liked Steve Hackett on Facebook a while back. I think it was when he was doing those tours of classic-era Genesis tunes with his band. I was reading some of the comments about a show he'd just done, and somebody who went had commented. He said something along the lines of, "It was a really great show last night, I enjoyed it but the singer wasn't my cup of tea - not up to Gabriel's standards." Within minutes, the singer himself had replied to this comment and went absolutely apeshit! He went on this huge tirade about how hard he worked in his career and that he was an internationally respected vocalist and stuff, and was swearing at this poor cunt! It was hilarious; such an out of proportion response to a fairly innocuous criticism.

bgmnts

I didn't know either but Steve Hackett was in Genesis so him.

Flouncer

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 18, 2018, 02:13:17 PM
How about

Phil Collins vs. Pierre Moerlen

They are  two out of my three favourite drummers, so I would encourage them to settle their differences peacefully by seeing who could deliver the crispest roll (Pierre would win this hands down).

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Flouncer on August 18, 2018, 10:46:02 PM
That surprises me - I always thought of the Genesis lads as poncey public school types.

I liked Steve Hackett on Facebook a while back. I think it was when he was doing those tours of classic-era Genesis tunes with his band. I was reading some of the comments about a show he'd just done, and somebody who went had commented. He said something along the lines of, "It was a really great show last night, I enjoyed it but the singer wasn't my cup of tea - not up to Gabriel's standards." Within minutes, the singer himself had replied to this comment and went absolutely apeshit! He went on this huge tirade about how hard he worked in his career and that he was an internationally respected vocalist and stuff, and was swearing at this poor cunt! It was hilarious; such an out of proportion response to a fairly innocuous criticism.

Nad Sylvan who should really be in a poodle rock tribute band. He's a good singer though.

Shit Good Nose

Gabriel, Banks and Rutherford were (as were original members Ant Philips, John Silver and Chris Stewart) which is no surprise as the band formed at Charterhouse, but later John Mayhew (who was the drummer before Phil stepped in) was a proper working class struggling musician (legend has it he slept in cars and vans between gigs), Hackett had an average 50s and 60s upbringing in a two-up-two-down and went to Sloane School (which was quite a rough grammar school back then), and Phil Collins, despite coming from a relatively well-off family and having a semi-private secondary school education, spent most of his youth mixing with "normal" kids in a regular school, so he always considered himself to have more in common with the blue collar folks than the public school toffs.  That being the case, Phil and Steve bonded quickly and closely when they were in Genesis, whilst Gabriel and Banks were quite aloof and Rutherford was the lukewarm water between all of them.

As Blods says, Nad Sylvan.  Doesn't surprise me one bit - he's got quite the ego about him and has, in the past, been quite critical of Genesis as a stereotypical group of navel-gazing (my words) English toffs.  He's also Swedish and about 11ft tall.  If you watch any interviews on YouTube with him, he often sounds like he thinks he's prog's second coming, in the same way Gwendoline Christie regularly talked about The Last Jedi as if it was all about Captain Phasma.  She's also about 11ft tall.

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 18, 2018, 06:57:57 PM
Howe forefeits as he actually died thirty years ago, but no one bothered telling him.

It's not looking good for Blodwyn's bet on Pierre Moerlen.

Flouncer

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 18, 2018, 10:51:13 PM
Nad Sylvan who should really be in a poodle rock tribute band. He's a good singer though.

If only his skin were as thick as his lustrous perm.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 18, 2018, 11:19:32 PMDoesn't surprise me one bit - he's got quite the ego about him...

The only reason I can think of for someone that fragile going poking around in comments like that, is if he's enough of a narcissist to assume that they're all going to be positive. He really did seem taken aback that someone had the nerve to suggest he wasn't as good as one of the most respected vocalists you can think of.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Flouncer on August 18, 2018, 11:34:35 PM
The only reason I can think of for someone that fragile going poking around in comments like that, is if he's enough of a narcissist to assume that they're all going to be positive. He really did seem taken aback that someone had the nerve to suggest he wasn't as good as one of the most respected vocalists you can think of.

Well, as I said - quite the ego.

He's there as lead singer because Hackett (FINALLY) realised and accepted that he can't really sing (it only took him 40-odd years), drummer Gary O'Toole can only manage certain songs, and Sylvan has a very very similar vocal range to Genesis era Gabriel and Collins, which means that Hackett doesn't have to keep mucking about with the arrangements and keys to suit whomever was singing the song at the time (over the years I've seen Hackett, O'Toole and Amanda Lehmann each tackle the same Genesis songs, which all had to be changed to suit their own styles and ranges, and even then none of them quite hit it).  I must admit I'm not a huge fan (of Sylvan's), but he's about as good as Hackett has ever had as a lead singer in his band.

PaulTMA

Is it really bad or indeed homophobic to refer to someone as "a bit of a ponce" these days?  I did in regards to Nad on another forum and someone went mental at me for saying so.  Perhaps it was an ill-considered remark but I now wonder if it was actually him.

SpiderChrist