Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:47:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Gerry Love Leaving Teenage Fanclub

Started by CaledonianGonzo, August 20, 2018, 10:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wosl

Quote from: Crabwalk on August 20, 2018, 06:12:47 PM
The press release literally starts with the words 'We are pleased to announce...'.

Actually, I'm now finding the absurdity of it quite funny.

That would be an okay opening if the opening of the second paragraph set its stall out to properly counterweight ("However, we are sad to announce..."); "In relation to that" is decidedly wishy-washy.  The only reference to sadness is made in relation to unresolvable differences, rather than to the upshot of same, which is the real sadness.

CaledonianGonzo

Even though it's complicated they've got time to start again.

buntyman

It reads like one of those football team announcements when they've just sold your best player

CaledonianGonzo

Fuck it. Howdy! show at the Barras it is. Have to say Adios to G-Love.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on August 20, 2018, 06:33:46 PM
Fuck it. Howdy! show at the Barras it is. Have to say Adios to G-Love.

Are there still tickets left?

CaledonianGonzo

Yup.  For all 3 nights when I looked earlier.

Crabwalk

holyzombiejesus

I'm on holiday at the moment so can't really go online and check stuff out but apparently Ken Stringfellow has tweeted that he'd be interested.

DrGreggles

Couldn't they have waited until December before announcing this?
How am I supposed to enjoy those 3 gigs now, knowing what's coming?

Yes,  I'm a selfish bastard.

Crabwalk

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 20, 2018, 10:29:09 PM
I'm on holiday at the moment so can't really go online and check stuff out but apparently Ken Stringfellow has tweeted that he'd be interested.

He did cross my mind actually. Bet Jon Auer's chuffed with that. I'll probably go and see them at End of The Road and assess the probability.

PaulTMA

Jockice

Brendan O'Hare is playing the UK shows. On drums I should imagine.

non capisco

You can't have Teenage Fanclub without Gerry Love. By all means keep touring and recording music as 'I'm Norman, He's Ray' or whatever but you can't be Teenage Fanclub without Gerry Love.

holyzombiejesus

Gerry's released a statement. Can't link to it here but things seem a little better, not so harsh, now. I wish he could have done a Brian and just stopped touring rather than quitting the band but at least there's some warmth in his words. I don't know why it feels so important to me that the three of them are 'friends' - I don't feel like that about other bands I love - but I felt really sad yesterday.

Crabwalk

CaledonianGonzo

holyzombiejesus

Yeah. It's not really a reason to leave the band though, is it? I'm guessing that Norman's comments in recent weeks about wanting to go back in to the studio soon may have also had something to do it. I get the feeling that Gerry's a bit of a home bird who wants to stay close to his chapel and Thursday night table tennis.

CaledonianGonzo

It does feel odd for it to be a deal-breaker.  Skip the long haul tourdates but remain a member for recording purposes and for gigs closer to home. Ain't that enough?

Maybe he's wanted to become an electrician all along and this his his chance to fulfill that dream?

wosl

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 21, 2018, 02:22:16 PMI wish he could have done a Brian and just stopped touring rather than quitting the band

Maybe he's an all-or-nothing type (heh, his name's Love, not Wilson, after all).

Sorry

holyzombiejesus

It makes me wonder how much bands like TFC actually make. I'm guessing that Norman and Raymond's decision to continue is at least partly due to the fact that, as Gerry put it, it's their livelihood. An album every 5 years can't pay that many bills although I guess the tours, particularly festivals are quite lucrative. Would the band be getting any income from royalties any more? Is Gerry going to be glass collecting in Mono in a few months? Surely the Lightships album and 4 or 5 gigs to promote that wouldn't have brought any cash in.

Someone on the TFCFC Facebook page has posted one of the most ridiculous things about Gerry's replacement.

QuoteI wonder to take the heat off one person if they could keep it interesting and have a tour where there is a (GSG) Gerry Special Guest each night for vocals (handle bass elsewhere if needed). Joe Mc, Duglas, Jim Reid, Bobby G, Stuart Murdoch, Eugene Kelly, Steve Mason, Stephen Pastel. Could widen out to Camera Obscura / Isobel Campbell etc too.

Christ.

wosl

Imagine Gillespie's wan, undernourished pipes trying to do justice to Love's vocal parts.

holyzombiejesus

Or Isobel Campbell's! I bow to no man in my love for The Pastels but the thought of Stephen trying to do harmonies with Norman gives me the shakes.

CaledonianGonzo

Norman keeps active doing things like The New Mendicants, and Raymond's also the manager so presumably takes a cut from that.  Francis does classical and soundtracks and manages a few acts like Camera Obscura and Dave's in Belle & Sebastian.  But dunno what else Gerry does.  IIRC I've seen him on bass for The Pastels a few times.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on August 21, 2018, 08:26:12 PM
Norman keeps active doing things like The New Mendicants, and Raymond's also the manager so presumably takes a cut from that.  Francis does classical and soundtracks and manages a few acts like Camera Obscura and Dave's in Belle & Sebastian.  But dunno what else Gerry does.  IIRC I've seen him on bass for The Pastels a few times.

I think he left The Pastels when TFC reconvened, 2 or 3 years back. I guess nowadays it's possible to support yourself through music if you tour and release material fairly regularly (a la Euros Childs) but I can't see Gerry doing that, if only because he seems to work at quite a slow place. He seems to treat playing outside of TFC as more of a pleasure than any kind of money-earning thing. I think he seems quite unusual. A friend who knows him quite well says that he still attends church every Sunday and that he's never let any of TFC (or other friends) in to his house! That might be bullshit (or changed in the intervening years since friend told me) as I read an interview in the Scotsman from when the Lightships album was released and he's interviewed in his kitchen.

Was Dave ever in a band of his own or has he always been a hired hand?

CaledonianGonzo

Joe Mc is definitely on a fishing expedition.

Jockice

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 21, 2018, 08:03:53 PM
Or Isobel Campbell's! I bow to no man in my love for The Pastels but the thought of Stephen trying to do harmonies with Norman gives me the shakes.

Stephen trying to do harmonies with anyone...

CaledonianGonzo

Emotional scenes last night at Electric Fields.  Crowd chanting his name between songs.

DrGreggles

Did anyone else buy a 3 day ticket for the November gigs?
Actually bothered to open my e-ticket yesterday and, even though it says "3 day ticket" on it, it only has one date.
Seems weird, no?