Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:58:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Trump number 8

Started by Fambo Number Mive, August 23, 2018, 08:19:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will Trump be re-elected in 2020?

Yes because we're all fucked now
21 (38.2%)
Aye, probably
14 (25.5%)
No because Trump will eventually trip himself up
0 (0%)
No because the Democrats will triumph
2 (3.6%)
I HEAR YOU'RE A RACIST NOW FATHER
4 (7.3%)
Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley, Kennedy and Stuart Sutcliffe
1 (1.8%)
It's all pointless - like bringing a knife to a gun party (Sandford, 18/06/16)
0 (0%)
Rode slipshod over all dumbshits, he were curious orange
1 (1.8%)
Search for "Goatse" increased by 600% since election outcome
2 (3.6%)
Pee Tape emerges with no real impact other than increased awareness of prostate check
0 (0%)
Trump steps down, Pence rises like a greying Ken doll found in a sewer full of pig fat
0 (0%)
In the episode, Captain Kirk stands trial on charges of negligence after a crewman fakes his own death.
0 (0%)
Imagine the size of his balls
0 (0%)
Obama emerges from the void screaming PULL YOUR PANTS UP, DAD'S HOME
0 (0%)
Not as good as The Wire
1 (1.8%)
Raoul Moat
3 (5.5%)
PLEASE GAS THIS WHITEHOUSE OF CUNTS
2 (3.6%)
Sauron falls through the bar
0 (0%)
As predicted by Frank T. J. Mackie
0 (0%)
Carry On Up The Arse
2 (3.6%)
The Mueller-Lite Effect
0 (0%)
The Further Adventures of Snow White Supremacist and the Fifteen Stupid Twats
0 (0%)
Trump re-elected as man plays Bela Lugosi's Dead on a tuba made of smegma
1 (1.8%)
#NotAllFAtStupidYanks
0 (0%)
I had a fat stupid yank in me car once, made a right fuckin mess
1 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Ferris

Quote from: Urinal Cake on February 17, 2019, 09:21:50 AM
My guess would be that the national emergency powers are a vestige of the royal prerogative powers inherited from English Common Law. These powers relate to the Monarchy or Executive having the inherit ability to override Parliament/Congress etc in certain circumstances such as war, emergencies and foreign affairs etc. This can't be extinguished by the Constitution,  Court or Congress but it can be 'managed' through Acts or Court interpretation.

Courts are pretty reluctant to handle foreign affairs and national security such as border walls since the Executive is elected and the Executive is in the best position in regards to knowledge to make such a decision.

No, Emergency powers were legislated & passed by Congress after watergate. 1974 (?) if memory serves. It isn't a hangover of common law - the founders were specific in not wanting a monarch in charge, and abuse of these powers is an overreach by the executive branch (same applies to executive orders - remember, congress is also supposed to determine trade and relationships with foreign powers, not the president via tariff).

The powers are not designed to override congress, they are designed for when congress would be too slow or not in session. Closing air traffic space on 9/11, that type of thing.

Article one of the constitution is clear - congress has power of the federal purse. This action is sketchy at best in terms of the letter of the law, and is an overreach by the executive branch by spirit of the law. But will the courts find this way? Who even knows. He seems to be expecting the 9th circuit to rule against him but is cocky about the scotus.

Disclaimer: I have 0 constitutional law training or anything and am just some half-asleep person on the internet so I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any or all of the above. I'm pretty sure I'm right though.

Urinal Cake

The only reason Trump has power over tariffs is because Congress delegated their responsibilities.

What the founding fathers wanted is of little use today. If a President can successfully declare a national emergency through a proclamation, executive order or declaration without reference to an Act or clause within Article II of the Constitution what does it say? There must be an implicit recognition that the Executive can make prerogative-like decisions or there is a broad interpretation of those powers under Article II. I'm more inclined to think broad interpretation is the better answer.

The issue that NEA only attempts to manage but not dictate what are national emergencies implies such a deference to the Executive.

Trump has a good shot at this. The convergence of national emergency and national security is pretty decent.

Mr Banlon

Ferris

The US is still without an ambassador to the UN after Haley resigned a few months back.

Trump's pick (the former Fox News anchor...) just withdrew her name from contention because she's been "hiring illegals" and presumably that would look bad.

QuoteMs. Nauert dropped from the running because she had a nanny who was in the United States legally but did not have the proper work visa, according to people familiar with the process.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/16/us/politics/heather-nauert-withdraws-un-ambassador.html

steve98

Quote from: Mr Banlon on February 17, 2019, 03:34:55 PM
This isn't fucking right is it ? https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1097117499336855553

He's Tweeting now, suggesting there should be - I kid you not - "Retribution" (Yes Retribution) against Saturday Night Live (And other shows), for laughing at him.

Dictionary Corner

RETRIBUTION - Deserved and severe punishment.

"Retribution" is like something biblical, and it's really gonna fire-up the gun-nuts. This might be his lowest point yet.

Cuellar

Barry Admin

Quote from: Mr Banlon on February 17, 2019, 03:34:55 PM
This isn't fucking right is it ? https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1097117499336855553

Ugh, guys like Ryan Hill and all these other desperadoes, sitting round flooding his latest tweets with replies to score more Internet backpats. I fucking hate all that kind of karma upvote shit.

Mister Six

Quote from: Cuellar on February 17, 2019, 08:36:15 PM
Oh come now.

Aye, even as one of those enemies of the people, I'd have to say orphaning children at the border was dramatically worse, as are any number of atrocious acts Trump has committed in the past two years.

Fambo Number Mive

Trump thinks the media is rigged and corrupt aside from the media that support him.

Head Gardener

Sorry for not posting any dumb Trump pics recently, I'm on holiday in Yorkshire and there are none available

Quote from: Head Gardener on February 20, 2019, 06:58:32 PM
Sorry for not posting any dumb Trump pics recently, I'm on holiday in Yorkshire and there are none available

I'm from Yorkshire, I'll get in contact with some of my entourage and see if they can rustle up some pics of Trumpelthinskin for you.

Head Gardener

Aww would you? Cheers marra

Head Gardener

Dex Sawash

Twed

Twed

Anybody who has been on the receiving end of that lamprey mouth trying to land deserves all the sympathy in the world.

Golden E. Pump

Well surely he's fucked now. Evidence of hush money, accusations under oath of racism, evidence of lying.

He's not going to fucked is he? He's the Virgin Mary of being fucked.

thugler

No chance he's fucked. Republicans are behind him whatever comes out, and it'll all be difficult to properly prove.

Mister Six

AOC's questioning seems designed to dig up probable cause to pull Trump's taxes. Let's see how that goes.

garnish

It's too late now anyway.  At best it might stop him running again.

Interesting to think back to 2016 and how we all thought the world was going to end when he got elected.  Truth is, just like with austerity, that only the most vulnerable in society have been completely fucked while the rest of us can keep chatting about how many genders there are in the mainstream media.

Urinal Cake

Considering that Trump banned transgendered people from using the bathrooms they identify/feel comfortable with (an everyday fear) and the military (a means to earn a wage) talking about gender is a valid form of criticism.

Cohen is mostly a confirmation. I expect in the tradition of other disgraceful presidents his criminal acts will be quietly ignored.

Howj Begg

Mister Six

Quote from: Howj Begg on February 28, 2019, 01:14:32 AM
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1100888190540496897.html

Mmm, the wording on some of that is wrong, and there's a difference between "made an accusation" and "proved something to the extent required by law".

For example:

QuoteCampaign finance violations - Cohen provided a check that shows that Trump reimbursed him for the $130,000 he paid to Stormy Daniels to conceal their affair.

No, he provided a cheque that showed Trump gave him thousands of dollars. The reason for that cheque being given, while blindingly obvious, isn't actually written down and so it doesn't "show" that he was paying for Daniels' hush money.

Now, other evidence may exist that would sway in favour of a conviction, but this in itself does not. Beware reports that are so enthusiastic about this testimony that they overstate the facts.

Urinal Cake

The love affair is over. Kim wanted commitment.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Urinal Cake on February 28, 2019, 07:31:43 AM
The love affair is over. Kim wanted commitment some photos of him strolling around with the President of the United States so he can tell his enemies, his allies and the people he oppresses "Look! See how the United States respects and values us!"

Dex Sawash

Walked in to work yesterday to the Fox news gang in mid conversation about the Trump/Kim meeting. Interrupted with "Remember how terrible it was when Obama was talking about willingness to have talks with the NorKs in 2008?"
They didn't recall that but O was a pussy so he probably would have made america look bad.

Head Gardener

Korea reports the summit news on the spot as it happens