Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:37:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Trump number 8

Started by Fambo Number Mive, August 23, 2018, 08:19:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will Trump be re-elected in 2020?

Yes because we're all fucked now
21 (38.2%)
Aye, probably
14 (25.5%)
No because Trump will eventually trip himself up
0 (0%)
No because the Democrats will triumph
2 (3.6%)
I HEAR YOU'RE A RACIST NOW FATHER
4 (7.3%)
Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley, Kennedy and Stuart Sutcliffe
1 (1.8%)
It's all pointless - like bringing a knife to a gun party (Sandford, 18/06/16)
0 (0%)
Rode slipshod over all dumbshits, he were curious orange
1 (1.8%)
Search for "Goatse" increased by 600% since election outcome
2 (3.6%)
Pee Tape emerges with no real impact other than increased awareness of prostate check
0 (0%)
Trump steps down, Pence rises like a greying Ken doll found in a sewer full of pig fat
0 (0%)
In the episode, Captain Kirk stands trial on charges of negligence after a crewman fakes his own death.
0 (0%)
Imagine the size of his balls
0 (0%)
Obama emerges from the void screaming PULL YOUR PANTS UP, DAD'S HOME
0 (0%)
Not as good as The Wire
1 (1.8%)
Raoul Moat
3 (5.5%)
PLEASE GAS THIS WHITEHOUSE OF CUNTS
2 (3.6%)
Sauron falls through the bar
0 (0%)
As predicted by Frank T. J. Mackie
0 (0%)
Carry On Up The Arse
2 (3.6%)
The Mueller-Lite Effect
0 (0%)
The Further Adventures of Snow White Supremacist and the Fifteen Stupid Twats
0 (0%)
Trump re-elected as man plays Bela Lugosi's Dead on a tuba made of smegma
1 (1.8%)
#NotAllFAtStupidYanks
0 (0%)
I had a fat stupid yank in me car once, made a right fuckin mess
1 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Mister Six

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on September 01, 2019, 03:48:20 AM
How is any of it legitimate? The US is the most hypocritical country in the world about all of this.

Chinese businesses were forcing US (and other foreign) firms to hand over their IP to gain access to manufacturing/markets, and Beijing was doing nothing to stop that. That's bullshit.

And it's entirely likely that Beijing would "encourage" Chinese businesses to help it build back doors into global 5G comms.

I'm not saying the trade war is a good idea, but those are two legitimate beefs.

Mister Six

Quote from: Urinal Cake on September 01, 2019, 04:34:50 AM
HK, South China. An internal conflict or the possibility of armed conflict, respectively.

I thought you meant international issues (Philippines, Taiwan, Japan, et al).

Not sure what you mean by "south China". South Korea?

Still don't see how either of those massively affect the trade war. The stagnation of the Chinese economy, restriction of 5G reach out and chilling effect on the Made in China 2025 plan are the major issues there.

Quote from: Mister Six on September 05, 2019, 02:05:47 AM
Chinese businesses were forcing US (and other foreign) firms to hand over their IP to gain access to manufacturing/markets, and Beijing was doing nothing to stop that. That's bullshit.

And it's entirely likely that Beijing would "encourage" Chinese businesses to help it build back doors into global 5G comms.

I'm not saying the trade war is a good idea, but those are two legitimate beefs.

The United States has historically done the same or similar (or worse) practices. This is yet another case of the U.S. hypocritically pulling up the ladder after installing itself as global hegemon backed by massive military spending.

That's not a defense of the Chinese government, by the way. Just a criticism of the United States in any way presenting itself as a legitimate or fair arbiter of anything.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Mister Six on September 05, 2019, 02:05:47 AM

If by 'force' you mean sign a contract to maximize profits. These companies weren't helping China out as a favour. Foreign corporations signed those contacts because they were complacent. They thought Chinese companies could never develop IP of their own and would always need foreign know how. Now sure the Chinese have outright stolen IP but let's not pretend a Chinese company operates less ethically than a foreign company.

About your second point it's really about who do you want to trust and in the West it's the US. But for a lot of countries it will be China.

iamcoop

Chickedy China the Chinese Chicken

José

you start a trade war as your brain stopped tickin'

Mister Six

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on September 05, 2019, 02:10:52 AM
The United States has historically done the same or similar (or worse) practices. This is yet another case of the U.S. hypocritically pulling up the ladder after installing itself as global hegemon backed by massive military spending.

That's not a defense of the Chinese government, by the way. Just a criticism of the United States in any way presenting itself as a legitimate or fair arbiter of anything.

What's that got to do with anything? I said that the concerns about China are legitimate. What the US has or hasn't done is irrelevant.

Mister Six

Quote from: Urinal Cake on September 05, 2019, 02:22:42 AM
If by 'force' you mean sign a contract to maximize profits. These companies weren't helping China out as a favour. Foreign corporations signed those contacts because they were complacent. They thought Chinese companies could never develop IP of their own and would always need foreign know how. Now sure the Chinese have outright stolen IP but let's not pretend a Chinese company operates less ethically than a foreign company.

Let's also not pretend that has anything to do with whether or not there's a legitimate complaint to be made that Beijing wasn't doing anything to protect IP within China.

QuoteAbout your second point it's really about who do you want to trust and in the West it's the US. But for a lot of countries it will be China.

Again, who cares? The US has a legitimate concern over a rival nation getting its claws into 5G infrastructure within American borders. That's all I'm saying.

So bored of the whataboutery.

Quote from: Mister Six on September 05, 2019, 04:23:32 AM
So bored of the whataboutery.

It's not whataboutery when the topic involves economic mores that only one half of a bilateral economic order is expected to comply with. The United States is a predatory economy, which, for example, has openly and proudly flouted all international laws purportedly governing this area.

Mister Six

It absolutely is whataboutery. I pointed out that the US has two legitimate concerns. You didn't deny that the concerns were legitimate or engage with that point, but veered off onto what the US does or doesn't do itself.

We know that the US is a self-serving and shitty country internationally. That's true of just about every country in the world. Nobody's mind is being blown here.

Quote from: Mister Six on September 05, 2019, 04:33:53 AM
It absolutely is whataboutery. I pointed out that the US has two legitimate concerns. You didn't deny that the concerns were legitimate or engage with that point, but veered off onto what the US does or doesn't do itself.

We know that the US is a self-serving and shitty country internationally. That's true of just about every country in the world. Nobody's mind is being blown here.

The two concerns you've identified are only "legitimate" in the sense that, yes, it is rational for the United States to advance its naked economic interests by trying to suppress a rival economic power. They are not "legitimate" in any legal, moral, or historical sense.

The supposed security concerns about 5G (or the related concerns about Huawei) are obviously preposterous. The real issue is that the United States got caught with its pants down with regard to an emerging technology and is now using its weight to sabotage foreign competitors with a more advanced product. How is that more legitimate than China using its market power to acquire IP?

Urinal Cake

I have no sympathy for (multinational) corporations who take every opportunity to fuck people over as long as they think they can get away with it.

Further corporations that  cry about government intervention until their interests are at stake deserve no sympathy either.

The US has lost the last round, it's trying to pretend it can still win it morally of all things. Trump can try this trade war and see if he wins this round. But heck call me a capatalist I see a economic competition to be the dominant super power to be a good thing for the world at large.

Mister Six

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on September 05, 2019, 04:38:16 AM
The two concerns you've identified are only "legitimate" in the sense that, yes, it is rational for the United States to advance its naked economic interests by trying to suppress a rival economic power. They are not "legitimate" in any legal, moral, or historical sense.

No, they're not legitimate in the senses that you have just invoked in order to win an argument that you started. Can't argue with that.

QuoteThe supposed security concerns about 5G (or the related concerns about Huawei) are obviously preposterous.

Why?

ajsmith2

Quote from: Paul Calf on September 04, 2019, 09:44:58 PM
Happy to oblige:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/juliareinstein/trump-hurricane-dorian-fake-weather-map-alabama-sharpie

There has to (I continue to disbelievingly protest), surely has to, be a breaking point when the 'self respecting' right wing intellectuals who support Trump without qualification cos he's such a lib triggering Agent Of Chaos Man of 2016 have to take their glasses off and acknowledge he's a dumb pile of rubbish. Orange Man Bad. Yeah and Brown Shit Stinky. And Plane Crash Tragic. Now you're starting to get it.

Head Gardener

Gulftastic

Quote from: ajsmith2 on September 05, 2019, 09:00:02 AM
There has to (I continue to disbelievingly protest), surely has to, be a breaking point when the 'self respecting' right wing intellectuals who support Trump without qualification cos he's such a lib triggering Agent Of Chaos Man of 2016 have to take their glasses off and acknowledge he's a dumb pile of rubbish. Orange Man Bad. Yeah and Brown Shit Stinky. And Plane Crash Tragic. Now you're starting to get it.

They don't give a fuck because he will approve whichever insane underqualified, right wing cunt they tell him to the judiciary as the coup continues. His bat-shittery is a great smoke screen.

kngen

Trump sacks John 'Eternal War' Bolton via Twitter.

I never foresaw an occasion where the actions of this president would make me feel slightly safer and more optimistic for the future of the planet.

Alberon

Even a demented spacehopper with some hay glued to it is right once in a while. On the other hand Trump did hire him in the first place.

Wonder what the falling out was over. Iran?

greenman

Probably for fucking up the plan for Venezuela

rjd2

Welcome to the resistance John Bolton~!

sponk

Yeah he'll write a tell all memoir slating Trump next year and he'll be invited on every talk show and liberal news show and spoken of as a hero

rjd2

Quote from: sponk on September 10, 2019, 06:14:32 PM
Yeah he'll write a tell all memoir slating Trump next year and he'll be invited on every talk show and liberal news show and spoken of as a hero

"I wouldn't agree with John on much, but with Trump he was the adult in the room"..

https://twitter.com/npfandos/status/1171455841230192640

Romney in tears.

Hank Venture

YESSSSSSS. Bolton is one of the biggest fucking psychos going. Fuck off, mustache cunt.

Hank Venture

The single redeeming thing about Trump is how he treats these ghouls way worse than the limp-wristed liberals like Clinton (given he doesn't like them flr whatever reason).

sponk

I wonder if Trump hired him just to sack him when he needed a distraction or to look tough whenever he needed to. Two dead cats, one hawk.

BlodwynPig