Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:18:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Trump number 8

Started by Fambo Number Mive, August 23, 2018, 08:19:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will Trump be re-elected in 2020?

Yes because we're all fucked now
21 (38.2%)
Aye, probably
14 (25.5%)
No because Trump will eventually trip himself up
0 (0%)
No because the Democrats will triumph
2 (3.6%)
I HEAR YOU'RE A RACIST NOW FATHER
4 (7.3%)
Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley, Kennedy and Stuart Sutcliffe
1 (1.8%)
It's all pointless - like bringing a knife to a gun party (Sandford, 18/06/16)
0 (0%)
Rode slipshod over all dumbshits, he were curious orange
1 (1.8%)
Search for "Goatse" increased by 600% since election outcome
2 (3.6%)
Pee Tape emerges with no real impact other than increased awareness of prostate check
0 (0%)
Trump steps down, Pence rises like a greying Ken doll found in a sewer full of pig fat
0 (0%)
In the episode, Captain Kirk stands trial on charges of negligence after a crewman fakes his own death.
0 (0%)
Imagine the size of his balls
0 (0%)
Obama emerges from the void screaming PULL YOUR PANTS UP, DAD'S HOME
0 (0%)
Not as good as The Wire
1 (1.8%)
Raoul Moat
3 (5.5%)
PLEASE GAS THIS WHITEHOUSE OF CUNTS
2 (3.6%)
Sauron falls through the bar
0 (0%)
As predicted by Frank T. J. Mackie
0 (0%)
Carry On Up The Arse
2 (3.6%)
The Mueller-Lite Effect
0 (0%)
The Further Adventures of Snow White Supremacist and the Fifteen Stupid Twats
0 (0%)
Trump re-elected as man plays Bela Lugosi's Dead on a tuba made of smegma
1 (1.8%)
#NotAllFAtStupidYanks
0 (0%)
I had a fat stupid yank in me car once, made a right fuckin mess
1 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 55

mothman

Quote from: vanilla.coffee on August 23, 2018, 07:50:09 PM
He's not quite as bad as the Bush/Blair combo.

Annnd we're back in the room.

petril

[tag]things you said before breaking wind when you were wee[/tag]

Howj Begg

Man, I'd feel terribly, ruefully embarrassed if I'd fallen for Trumpist propaganda about this joke:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/24/trump-cancels-pompeo-trip-to-north-korea-cites-lack-of-sufficient-progress-on-denuclearization.html

QuoteTrump cancels Pompeo trip to North Korea, cites lack of 'sufficient progress' on denuclearization

President Donald Trump on Friday announced on Twitter that he had asked his secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, to cancel a planned trip to North Korea.

The president cited a lack of progress on denuclearization talks, but also pointed a finger at China, which he accused of deliberately withholding cooperation on North Korea in order to gain an advantage in the escalating trade war between Washington and Beijing.

Evidence strongly suggests that North Korea has continued to develop its nuclear capabilities in recent months, despite a joint statement in June from Trump and North Korean Leader Kim Jong Un that they would work toward denuclearizing the Korean Peninsula.

But I want Skorean babies to die, rather than gullibly believe the inveterate lies of kleptocrat fascists, so what do I know

Alberon

At least he's not just blindly claiming the problem has been solved still.

This is why summits only usually happen after months - sometimes years - of careful negotiation. Trump might be beginning to realise he was outplayed by the North Koreans.

Howj Begg

Quote from: Alberon on August 24, 2018, 11:39:36 PM
At least he's not just blindly claiming the problem has been solved still.

This is why summits only usually happen after months - sometimes years - of careful negotiation. Trump might be beginning to realise he was outplayed by the North Koreans.

He'll realise before many others do, amazingly.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/24/longtime-trump-organization-cfo-weisselberg-granted-immunity-in-cohen-probe-dj-citing-sources.html

This is the first time I'm letting myself believe that Trump will actually do jailtime. This is bigger than Cohen flipping.

QuoteAllen Weisselberg, longtime chief financial officer of the Trump Organization, has been granted immunity by federal prosecutors as part of their investigation into President Trump's former personal attorney, Michael Cohen.

Weisselberg's ties to the president go back decades: He has overseen the Trump Organization's finances, been involved in the Trump Foundation, the president's charity, and has managed Trump's private trust alongside his eldest sons, Eric Trump and Donald Trump Jr.

Weisselberg was subpoenaed by prosecutors earlier this year to testify before a grand jury as part of that probe.

manticore

Why not listen to the South Koreans?

Mr. Moon said, "It is important to recognize that we are the protagonists in Korean Peninsula-related issues. Developments in inter-Korean relations are not the by-effects of progress in the relationship between the North and the United States."

https://twitter.com/jeffhermanson/status/1033068411197317121

Mr. Moon is the president of South Korea.

THIS IS NOT ALL ABOUT TRUMP, how many times does it have to be said?

Tim Shorrock is the person who's been covering Korea for 40 years. He's a radical, committed journalist who followed the Gwangju Uprising in 1980, he knows Moon and knows what he's talking about:

"I read this as Trump saying he's overloaded with Mueller and knows he's running into stiff resistance from South Korea on his North Korea strategy. So he's turning the field over to the DC naysayers trying to sabotage the peace process & will be back. I'm not unduly concerned."

https://twitter.com/TimothyS/status/1033054923729068032

If you are actually interested in Korea then follow Shorrock on twitter here:

https://twitter.com/TimothyS?lang=en

Look at yourselves, think about your Western perspective and try listening to the world outside.

This thread is repulsive sometimes.

gatchamandave

Yes, apparently South Koreans have been allowed to visit North Korean relatives for the first time since 1951. That is lovely and should not be fubar'ed by a crippled POTUS.

Alberon

This is a thread about Trump though so any discussion about the Korean Peninsula here should be about his involvement in it.

The South Koreans are important players, but it does have to be remembered that the North Koreans dismissed them for many years as puppets of the Americans.

Perhaps we should have a thread on Korean issues for a balanced view on it, but this thread focus is about the fallout from Trump's rushed, mostly PR based meeting that is looking increasingly botched.

hedgehog90

US cuts over $200m in aid to Palestinians

http://aje.io/nu968

QuoteA senior US official said on Friday that President Donald Trump had ordered the State Department to "redirect" the funding for programmes in the occupied West Bank and the besieged Gaza Strip to unspecified "high-priority projects elsewhere".

Howj Begg

Quote from: Alberon on August 25, 2018, 07:53:20 AM
This is a thread about Trump though so any discussion about the Korean Peninsula here should be about his involvement in it.

The South Koreans are important players, but it does have to be remembered that the North Koreans dismissed them for many years as puppets of the Americans.

Perhaps we should have a thread on Korean issues for a balanced view on it, but this thread focus is about the fallout from Trump's rushed, mostly PR based meeting that is looking increasingly botched.

I think a US politics thread, or even just a US Foreign policy issues thread, is a great idea. I think Barry Admin would prefer that as well. I'd join in too. But I have the sinking feeling that some posters would then post exclusively about something else again, like British foreign policy, or maybe expand it into the realms of interstellar foreign policy.

steve98

This is just Trump tentatively gettin' ready for his distraction war if neccessary. Sucks to be Korean

manticore

Quote from: Alberon on August 25, 2018, 07:53:20 AM

If you're going to talk about Trump and Korea here, other people are going to talk about the fact that the whole Korean diplomacy was driven from the start by South Korea and still is being so. If you don't want to discuss Korea don't discuss Korea. It renders the discussion completely meaningless and distorted if you only talk about it in relation to crap Trump and his obvious imbecililities.

Trumps latest twittering says that Pompeo is likely to go to North Korea in the near future. It appears very possible that Trump's present cancellation of Pompeo's planned visit is part of a cynical effort to distract from the legal and corruption trouble he's in at the moment:

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2018/08/24/ultimate-diversionary-tactic-wag-dog-concerns-emerge-trump-cancels-pompeos-north?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=socialnetwork

manticore

Now I admit I'm no expert on the ins and outs of all these characters like this Michael Cohen fellow and this Lanny Davis, apart from the obvious that they're the most despicable kind of political operators, but anyway it's appearing to me that Lanny Davis is not a reliable source of information on anything important, about Trump or anything else:

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/michael-cohens-lawyer-walks-back-cnns-bombshell-2016-trump-tower-meeting-claim/

God knows though, this is not my scene. Sorry if it's old news, but I didn't hear about it on the BBC.

ajsmith2

John McCain just died. Was interested in seeing Trumps reaction as this is prime tasteless gaffe real estate, but he managed a (probably ghost written) carefully worded sympathy tweet to McCains family, avoiding having to say anything nice about the man himself. I was expecting to see a Fidel Castro type 'JOHN McCAIN IS DEAD!!!!!' tweet.

Twed

Quote from: ajsmith2 on August 26, 2018, 04:18:35 AM
John McCain just died.
Somebody very close to me is suffering from the exact same aggressive brain cancer, but my god do I hope that even though McCain is dead he's still somehow in pain.

Mister Six

Quote from: manticore on August 25, 2018, 02:34:17 PM
If you're going to talk about Trump and Korea here, other people are going to talk about the fact that the whole Korean diplomacy was driven from the start by South Korea and still is being so. If you don't want to discuss Korea don't discuss Korea. It renders the discussion completely meaningless and distorted if you only talk about it in relation to crap Trump and his obvious imbecililities.

But it's a thread about Trump. All he did was link to the news story and speculate why Trump might have pulled Pompeii out for now. What's so "repulsive" about that?

Does everything have to be couched in teams of quotes about other facets of everything Trump touches, so we can all pat ourselves on the back/wank ourselves off furiously and say how clever we are for seeing the big picture?

Howj Begg

John McCain - rest in purgatory
Pro: Opposed torture
       Thumbs down for Trumpcare
Cons: Bomb Iran
         Hawkish asshole
         Introduced Sarah Palin to the political scene, arguably making Trump possible

Astonishing fact: McCain's mother is ALIVE at 106 years old.

ajsmith2

Wonder if this will trigger calls for yet another attempt at an Obamacare repeal, since McCain was the decisive vote on saving it (despite hating it) at least once. (might have been more that once, I forget, they tried at least 4 times in 2017).

mojo filters

Quote from: ajsmith2 on August 26, 2018, 10:28:09 AM
Wonder if this will trigger calls for yet another attempt at an Obamacare repeal, since McCain was the decisive vote on saving it (despite hating it) at least once. (might have been more that once, I forget, they tried at least 4 times in 2017).

Not likely. Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski have not changed their position, so the best Senate Republican vote is 48 to Dems 49 (if Maine + Alaska abstain in the worst case scenario) in the current Congress.

The whole business of skinny repeal, repeal+replace etc took a real toll on the Congressional Republicans, especially the fractious House caucus. With the midterms already looking bad, Republicans of all types have no interest in looking like an even bigger shitshow.

Ryan would never allow a floor vote anyway. Although he's retiring, his SuperPAC has raised a huge amount, hence he's very busy targeting key winnable Districts - he doesn't want Trump to be the last line of his legislative legacy, especially since he would like the opportunity for a 2020 Presidential run (if Trump's not running, not via primarying him - he's young enough to be able to bide his time).

Sad day for American politics, McCain was a very decent man.

Uncle TechTip

Sad news. I understand his mother is still not dead either.

Ferris

If you haven't already, I recommend reading the obit in the NY Times. Seemed a nice, principled chap.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/25/obituaries/john-mccain-dead.html

manticore

Quote from: Mister Six on August 26, 2018, 07:22:22 AM
But it's a thread about Trump. All he did was link to the news story and speculate why Trump might have pulled Pompeii out for now. What's so "repulsive" about that?

Does everything have to be couched in teams of quotes about other facets of everything Trump touches, so we can all pat ourselves on the back/wank ourselves off furiously and say how clever we are for seeing the big picture?

A discussion of Trump and Korea needs to discuss how and why Trump got involved and how the South Korean government is trying to use use him to find a better way to live with their own countrypeople.

"wank ourselves off furiously and say how clever we are for seeing the big picture?" could also be seen as having a concern for context and history, because that's the only way we can understand anything. It's up to you what you choose to believe about that.

Just generally, there's value in using an internet message board thread to document the evils that Trump and his party are doing, more especially if it's things that aren't being well covered by the big media, but there's also value in discussion about his position as a product and sign of wider evils, and about the best ways of critising him and opposing him, otherwise you find yourself involved in all sorts of terrible crap.

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Howj Begg on August 26, 2018, 10:19:51 AM
John McCain - rest in purgatory

more like rest in piss amrite

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 26, 2018, 01:08:30 PM
If you haven't already, I recommend reading the obit in the NY Times. Seemed a nice, principled chap.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/25/obituaries/john-mccain-dead.html

this is a joke right

Howj Begg

Quote from: Dog Botherer on August 26, 2018, 03:21:18 PM
more like rest in piss amrite

I imagine DJT is assembling hookers of loose morals bladders and ringing round Washington DC hotels as we speak.

Howj Begg

This is delightful: A laundry list for the Dems if they take the House:

https://www.axios.com/2018-midterm-elections-republicans-preparation-investigations-180abf7b-0de8-4670-ae8a-2e6da123c584.html

QuoteCongressional Republicans are getting ready for hell. Axios has obtained a spreadsheet that's circulated through Republican circles on and off Capitol Hill — including at least one leadership office — that meticulously previews the investigations Democrats will likely launch if they flip the House.

Why this matters: Publicly, House Republicans are putting on a brave face about the midterms. But privately, they are scrambling to prepare for the worst. This document, which catalogs requests Democrats have already made, is part of that effort.

It has churned Republican stomachs. Here are some of the probes it predicts:

President Trump's tax returns
Trump family businesses — and whether they comply with the Constitution's emoluments clause, including the Chinese trademark grant to the Trump Organization
Trump's dealings with Russia, including the president's preparation for his meeting with Vladimir Putin
The payment to Stephanie Clifford — a.k.a. Stormy Daniels
James Comey's firing
Trump's firing of U.S. attorneys
Trump's proposed transgender ban for the military
Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin's business dealings
White House staff's personal email use
Cabinet secretary travel, office expenses, and other misused perks
Discussion of classified information at Mar-a-Lago
Jared Kushner's ethics law compliance
Dismissal of members of the EPA board of scientific counselors
The travel ban
Family separation policy
Hurricane response in Puerto Rico
Election security and hacking attempts
White House security clearances

The spreadsheet — which I'm told originated in a senior House Republican office — catalogs more than 100 formal requests from House Democrats this Congress, spanning nearly every committee.

The spreadsheet includes requests for administration officials to be grilled by committee staff, requests for hearings to obtain sworn testimony, efforts to seize communications about controversial policies and personnel decisions, and subpoena threats.
These demands would turn the Trump White House into a 24/7 legal defense operation.

You'd have to have a heart of stone not to be gleefully amused about this.

Twed

How does any of that serve the general public? It's just a massive waste of resources for the benefit of the party politics game. No. Fucks to that. It's no better than the Republicans getting excited over Hillary's email server.

Quote from: Twed on August 27, 2018, 02:17:17 AM
How does any of that serve the general public? It's just a massive waste of resources for the benefit of the party politics game. No. Fucks to that. It's no better than the Republicans getting excited over Hillary's email server.

I do see your point, but that's a little misjudged, don't you think?

"Investigating rampant corruption and criminal wrongdoing is no better than Republicans getting angry over Obama's fresh as hell tan suit"

Howj Begg

Quote from: Twed on August 27, 2018, 02:17:17 AM

Lol what a load of self-righteous bollocks

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on August 27, 2018, 02:36:34 AM
I do see your point, but that's a little misjudged, don't you think?

"Investigating rampant corruption and criminal wrongdoing is no better than Republicans getting angry over Obama's fresh as hell tan suit"

Preee-cisely. There's being cynical about centrist Dem politicians and then there's being cynical about the active prosecutions of federal crimes by Presidents and their staff.

But hey, if it annoys #the resistance on twitter, that's what I focus my political compass on.

Ultimately I don't care about arguing with knowing contrarian internet warriors any more, I'm content to let the history play out the way it will, as it's going in one direction.

Twed

It's not justice, it's not achieving anything, it's just power games. Imagine if the same energy were spent on challenging the corruptive influence of money in politics, or setting up a task force for kicking off the single payer healthcare process, or preventative measures to stop the targeted injustices being carried out on specific communities. Imagine if honest attempts were made to tackle the source problems in politics instead of headline fodder. The idea that any real investigation could take place about the family separation policy is ridiculous. Everybody involved on both sides would be implicated.

Quote from: Howj Begg on August 27, 2018, 02:40:41 AM
Ultimately I don't care about arguing with knowing contrarian internet warriors any more, I'm content to let the history play out the way it will, as it's going in one direction.
Yes, to the right.

Ferris

Take the transgender ban on serving in the military, or the ban on people from majority Islamic countries entering the US. Those are pretty clear civil rights abuses, and it's definitely important to defend them from the whims of the current mob in the White House.

The rest are just potential crimes that members of the executive branch may have committed, and those are probably worth investigating too. It's not a banana republic - you can't just have people going about committing crimes and getting off Scott-free.

Sometimes I totally agree; issues are raised for the purposes of political football and nothing else. These all seem fairly concrete, egregious, and openly committed examples of (potential) wrong-doing or overreach from the executive branch. It's in everyone's interest to keep that branch of government in check.