Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:20:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Prodigy Album/Tour

Started by Malcy, August 23, 2018, 07:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hundhoon

Always Outnumbered never outgunned sounds better to my ears today than it did at the time..it followed 3 mindblowing records, Experience, Music for Jilted Generation and Fat of the Land
so sounded shit at first.

but its not really a Prodigy album though, its a Liam Howllet solo electroclash record, Shoreditch/Dalston  circa 2004. it this odd thing in the Prodigys catalogue..Girls is an awesome tune.

Custard

Howlett apparently made most of the Outgunned album on a laptop in bed. I like to imagine Natalie Appleton feeding him grapes during this process. Sure beats spending six months in the studio with smelly auld Keith Flint, trying to recreate Firestarter

As for Baby's Got A Temper, I've read it get slagged off over the years, even by Howlett himself who considers it a big pile of ploppers and possibly the worst thing he's ever done.

That said, I don't mind it too much myself. The instrumental is better as it's free of the rubbish lyrics, and well, smelly auld Keith Flint

buzby

Quote from: the on August 24, 2018, 11:18:45 PM
When listening to old live shows, it's pretty obvious that the tracks which run pretty much according to the studio versions were actually coming off of DAT, with stuff being played on top of them (hence my comment about unsequenced hardware).
The info about using the W30s live comes from his comments on the fan website's equipment page. However, in this Feb 1993 Future Music interview he  mentions his live setup includes a Sony DTC 750 DAT to run the backing tape, which contains the main body of the tracks with various elements and samples mixed out so they can be played live. This seems to have been added to the live rig after the success of Charly (as were a TR-909 and SH-101, which can be seen in live videos at that time, with the 101 being triggered off the 909) as they started playing bigger gigs and he wanted to give a better show.

The use of DAT is interesting as like Norman Cook he mastered directly to DAT through a 32-track desk (again bought with the royalties from Charly) with all the mixing being done within the sequencer.That would make producing the backing DAT for live shows easier.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Shameless Custard on August 25, 2018, 06:48:33 AM
As for Baby's Got A Temper, I've read it get slagged off over the years, even by Howlett himself who considers it a big pile of ploppers and possibly the worst thing he's ever done.

fucking youtube comments man

Quote from: Stuart Lane 2 years ago
when i was moving house and the settee was too big to get out the door i smashed it up to this song

humanity is a horrible disease

the

The problems with Baby's Got A Temper were that it's gimmicky, it's got no hook in the chorus, and it was a sign that they were continuing down the Serial Thrilla route (ie. the rather embarrassing point where inspiration ran dry on Fat Of The Land).

Though I enjoyed the settee comment, always nice to see music applied to the practical world

Twed

Quote from: Hundhoon on August 25, 2018, 05:58:54 AM

but its not really a Prodigy album though, its a Liam Howllet solo electroclash record, Shoreditch/Dalston  circa 2004. it this odd thing in the Prodigys catalogue..Girls is an awesome tune.
Yeah, Girls got swallowed up by the hatred for that album, but it is one of their best tracks.

alan nagsworth

Girls is a good one, aye. It did a very good job of capitalising on the nu-rave/electro-clash scene at the time that guys like Ed Banger records (who were arguably doing a better job but that's beside the point).

As a side note, wow their music videos are garbage aren't they?

Twed

Quote from: alan nagsworth on August 26, 2018, 04:27:26 PM
Girls is a good one, aye. It did a very good job of capitalising on the nu-rave/electro-clash scene at the time that guys like Ed Banger records (who were arguably doing a better job but that's beside the point).

And they remembered to put a synth in it that sounds like Prodigy. Liam is exceptionally good at lead synths. Always a mix of more than once sound, making it punchy in a subtle way. That slight whistling on the beginning of the lead synth in Girls - very good.

buzby

Quote from: Twed on August 26, 2018, 04:41:38 PM
And they remembered to put a synth in it that sounds like Prodigy. Liam is exceptionally good at lead synths. Always a mix of more than once sound, making it punchy in a subtle way. That slight whistling on the beginning of the lead synth in Girls - very good.
The Fat Of The Land is littered with Korg Prophecy virtual analogue monosynth factory preset sounds - he was given one by Korg while he was demoing the album and it ended up being used on nearly every track. For example, the lead sound on Smack My Bitch Up was the '303 Growler' preset.and the 'Space Adventure' preset was used in the break on Firestarter.

It was Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned that was produced almost entirely on a Macbook using Propellerhead's Reason DAW while he was sat in bed.

Twed

Quote from: buzby on August 26, 2018, 08:12:36 PM
The Fat Of The Land is littered with Korg Prophecy virtual analogue monosynth factory preset sounds - he was given one by Korg while he was demoing the album and it ended up being used on nearly every track. For example, the lead sound on Smack My Bitch Up was the '303 Growler' preset.and the 'Space Adventure' preset was used in the break on Firestarter.
What a bummer. Well, Korg make some great presets, at least.

Edit: Although I really do mean the lead synths, in general. The ravey ones in particular. They're always of the era but with a perfect twist of production.

Johnny Textface

If AONNOG was a solo album so were the first two. What's all the "sat in bed" business? Surely some interview nonsense legend building joke laugh.

the

Quote from: Johnny Textface on August 26, 2018, 08:45:26 PMWhat's all the "sat in bed" business? Surely some interview nonsense legend building joke laugh.

Around the turn of the millennium, DAW software got to the point where, for the first time, you could do all your music production within a single programme (digital recording/multitracking, synthesis, sequencing, effects and mixing). This could run on a laptop, so basically for the first time you didn't necessarily need a music studio, you could do it all in your laptop, ergo you could do it from your bed.

Here's Aphex Twin doing something similar while making Drukqs (he's most probably using the PlayerPro tracker on a Powerbook G3):

Quote from: Twed on August 26, 2018, 08:31:19 PMWhat a bummer. Well, Korg make some great presets, at least.

Edit: Although I really do mean the lead synths, in general. The ravey ones in particular. They're always of the era but with a perfect twist of production.

A lot of the synths that were coming out from about the mid-90s onwards were trying to get back to the feel of controlling an old analogue synth, hence lots of new products with knobs and sliders on for controlling filters, envelopes and so on. The Korg Prophecy, though monophonic, was aimed squarely at the market who wanted that kind of instant tweakability.

Many of these synths were also designed to create the kinds of distorted filtered sounds you'd get out of a modded TB-303 (a sound which was flitting in and out of vogue), the Prophecy was one of these, the Nord Lead another (which was also used by the Prodigy, noticeably on Funky Shit).

up_the_hampipe

From their last album, that song The Day Is My Enemy is a fookin belter. Real big sounds. Gave my ears a beating and I liked it.

Malcy

Quote from: Twed on August 26, 2018, 04:41:38 PM

Girls is a bit of a mashup of these 2 tracks.

Broken Glass - Style Of The Street - https://youtube.com/watch?v=5aVfyA7XaTM

D-Train - You're The Only One For Me - https://youtube.com/watch?v=QWmteg9guoo

Get Up, Get Off with Twista from the same album was the track i was looking forward to most before it came out. It's good but i was expecting an absolutely mental post apocalyptic 5 minutes of chaos with Twista rapping at his fastest. Didn't get that but it's still a stand out of the album.

Quote from: alan nagsworth on August 26, 2018, 04:27:26 PM

I have the DVD of their videos. Think they're really good. Smack My Bitch Up & The Pendulum remix of Voodoo People in particular.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=XQEBzauVIlA

the

Quote from: Malcy on August 26, 2018, 10:21:21 PMI have the DVD of their videos. Think they're really good. Smack My Bitch Up & The Pendulum remix of Voodoo People in particular.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=XQEBzauVIlA

As I'm sure you know, the woman at the end is ex-band member Sharky, who can be seen on stage in:

Quote from: buzby on August 24, 2018, 08:27:45 PM... this 1991 video ...

Malcy

Quote from: the on August 26, 2018, 10:36:12 PM
As I'm sure you know, the woman at the end is ex-band member Sharky, who can be seen on stage in:

Didn't realise that.

Twed

Malcy

Listening to another new song off the album called 'Tribal'.

Very un-Prodigy sounding. Chilled out compared to the other released track. Sounds like it's building up to something but never does.

Pdine

Something about 'Nasty' always reminded me of the theme from Are You Being Served?

"Nasty nasty / Gents' ready-made suits" etc

the

I'd be very surprised if that Tribal track is legitimate.

Malcy

Quote from: the on September 27, 2018, 07:06:33 PM
I'd be very surprised if that Tribal track is legitimate.

I ha
Downloaded the iTunes version of it from somewhere.

https://itunes.apple.com/il/album/tribal-single/1434542476

Turns out it's by The Prod/igy. Sneaky! Was labelled as Prodigy when I downloaded it.

Malcy

mobias

When are the Prodigy going to grow up? They're in their 50's now and still appear to be making music aimed at teenagers desperately trying to piss off their parents,  or more likely 40 and 50 somethings desperately trying to impress their teenagers.

Norton Canes

Dannyhood91

I think the only song I've liked of theirs since Fat of the Land has been Warriors Dance.

Their first three albums are a lot of fun imo and their second one is the best for me.

popcorn

My dad fucking loves Firestarter. Used to blast it on the way to B&Q.

magval

Quote from: Johnny Textface on August 26, 2018, 08:45:26 PM
What's all the "sat in bed" business? Surely some interview nonsense legend building joke laugh.

I was getting into the Prodigy when this album came out and I remember this line from a promotional interview. It was definitely said, if not BY Liam then about him, in 2004.

Malcy

Johnny Textface

Quote from: magval on October 15, 2018, 06:19:12 PM
I was getting into the Prodigy when this album came out and I remember this line from a promotional interview. It was definitely said, if not BY Liam then about him, in 2004.

Yeah I heard it too and I'm pretty sure it was Liam actually. Still said it for a bit of a laugh I reckon, I mean can you imagine?