Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:36:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mastodon, aka 'Nice Twitter'

Started by Stoneage Dinosaurs, August 23, 2018, 11:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoneage Dinosaurs

So there's apparently a whole new twitter clone going round and it's main selling point seems to be that it's specifically designed to be in opposition to twitter's fairly lax approach to hate speech and neo-nazis and general nastiness. So their whole terms and everything are specifically targeted at keeping that sort of thing at bay. Sounds alright.

https://lifehacker.com/a-beginner-s-guide-to-mastodon-1828503235

QuoteThe social media network known as Mastodon is sort of an anti-Twitter: quiet, calm, and pretty much free of Nazis. People have been flocking to it lately, only to get confused by the way it's set up—which is a shame, because it's not that hard to get started.

So what's the drawback? Well, for one, it sounds like it might be quite/incredibly annoying.

QuoteA few terms to help ease your transition from Twitter:

It's not a tweet, it's a toot.
It's not a retweet, it's a boost. There is no such thing as a quote-tweet, you just either boost or you don't.
Twitter itself is referred to as "the birdsite." Do not bring birdsite drama onto mastodon.

It also looks quite complicated, especially for a thick person like myself.
Haven't given it a shot myself. Has anyone else?

Post in this thread please

Sebastian Cobb

It's a decentralised version of twitter. So while it has the potential for people to set up 'play nice' instances it's also exactly the thing free speech advocates will want to build their own versions of.

It's funny how people are realising connecting everyone in one place isn't necessarily a good idea and are reinventing forums.

Should be fun watching the equivalent of 'board raids' happen though.

BlodwynPig

Toot: "Hello I'm going to do some work today. Here is my theme song" (squeeeeee)

Bin.

biggytitbo

Blue Jam

Barry Admin

A social network catering exclusively to the most butthurt people on the internet sounds like a massive recipe for disaster.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Barry Admin on August 24, 2018, 01:25:29 PM
A social network catering exclusively to the most butthurt people on the internet sounds like a massive recipe for disaster.

"Welcome to Cook'dandBomb'd"

LOL

the

Still doesn't solve the fundamental crapness of social networks, which is that everyone's self-interested in being on transmit, there's nothing absorbing to read or contribute to.

Twed

Quote from: Barry Admin on August 24, 2018, 01:25:29 PM
voat.co

biggytitbo

Sebastian Cobb

I bet it starts some proper 'fuck off we're the people's front of judea' type behaviour.

This is what happened to usenet and irc.

DocDaneeka

It's pretty good really, no ads, all in chronological order and a lack of columnists and big name bloggers. It is less combative than Twitter but I 'd say the main clientele seem to be standard nerds and open software obsessives rather than SJWS.

If you enjoy the "quote some annoying prick about Corbyn/brexit/Trump" then slag him off type of bollocks than you'll be a bit disappointed. And it is missing some funny & interesting people from other social media but it's worth a go if you want to get away from Twitter.

Sebastian Cobb

My main problem with twitter these days is that I can see everyone liking each others luke-warm takes and snide comments.

I imagine it's possible to turn it off.

BritishHobo

I've said this in a previous thread but all Twitter does is make me hate people I agree with. If you follow any circle of people whose main belief you share, you'll inevitably just ending up reading your own fucking opinions every day, posted by the same people and retweeted by people who agree. Nobody's convincing anyone of anything, they're just collecting in groups who agree with each other, and then agreeing. They're wanking in front of a mirror.

Sebastian Cobb

It's not really twitter's fault you created your own echo chamber.

Have you considered following people with something to say about art or science or your own personal interests rather than people who like retweeting each other's snarky political hot takes?

Twed

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 27, 2018, 07:57:33 AM
It's not really twitter's fault you created your own echo chamber.

Have you considered following people with something to say about art or science or your own personal interests rather than people who like retweeting each other's snarky political hot takes?
Yes, honestly just be better at following people and you'll find grassroots activism and actual debate. I think you are drawn to web angst, BH.

BritishHobo

Well that just doesn't sound like me at all.