Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 01:36:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

getting really angry at videogames

Started by madhair60, August 24, 2018, 11:18:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Do you ever do this? Have you in the past?

Twed

Legitimately as a child, but as an adult the anger is for more performative and done for comedic affect. As an adult I enjoy it if the game riles me up, whereas as a child it was some sort of direct insult against me.

the

I mostly try to one-credit old coin-ops on MAME, what do you think

AsparagusTrevor

I do occasionally, but generally only if it's unfair. I don't mind difficulty at all, and I like that sense of replaying something where you get better each time and you're only failing because you need a bit of practice rather than there being a massively unfair disadvantage as a roadblock.

I especially hate lazy, scummy, overpowered fighting game bosses. Most recently I got very angry at the Braniac boss on Injustice 2's story mode. He has a double move which takes 2/3 of your health - moves which aren't available for the player to do when playing as Braniac. No amount of skill, no culmination of the techniques you've learned throughout the game, you just have to hope you're lucky enough to avoid his near insta-kill moves.

Barry Admin

No I never understood this. I tend to play games on the hardest level, like I'm doing Mass Effect Andromeda on Insane at the minute, although I've already got the achievement now by doing gold extractions on multiplayer. I've sat and hit Pokemon gyms for an hour or two while they were getting berried, and people did comment then that I have a ludicrous amount of patience, but I just enjoy the process of playing so am fairly dispassionate about it not going my way for a while.

popcorn

I had an odd housemate who used to play Ninja Gaiden on Xbox and go mental with rage. We used to listen from the corridor as he shouted "You chopping cunts!" at the ninjas.

popcorn

I get angry at bad design, but only in a world-weary disappointed-parent sort of way. It is difficult being the only person in the world who knows how video games truly ought to be.

I never get angry at difficulty. Obviously sometimes games can be frustrating but my reaction is always to go "pah!" and do something else for a bit. I've never been remotely tempted to throw a controller for example.

Barry Admin

You know who I can't stand? Those narcissistic shitters like DarksydePhil where it's always the game's fault, and never their own. "Online commboooo!"

BJBMK2

The underwater boss in Banjo Tooie, the only time I've ever (to my shame), had one of those "ITS THE GAMES FAULT, ITS RIGGED MATE!", moments.

Oh, and the (again) underwater boss in Majoras Mask, where I delivered the final blow...just as the end of the world timer hit zero, reset everything, and I now have to do the whole bastard cunt prick wanker nobhead temple again.

And again...

Beagle 2

I have to admit that Mario Kart and FIFA have both resulted in smashed controllers. But it is the game's fault and it is rigged in those particular cases. I had a friend who had about ten broken controllers all lined up in his room from where he'd hurled them against the wall, but he was also fond of smashing up humans.

I probably should get more angry these days so I actually get some value out of game I've bought. Something like Celeste, I just get to a point where I can't do a bit, and after ten minutes I'm like "well, that's me finished with that forever then, tum-ti-tum".

gmoney

I know a guy who used to get so wound up playing DOTA 2 that he started throwing things out his window. Beer bottles mainly, which got complaints from neighbours, but I know he threw at least 2 wireless mice. I think he stopped playing in the end as it was too much stress and expense.

the

Passive aggression is still aggression chops

St_Eddie

Quote from: Barry Admin on August 24, 2018, 12:10:07 PM
No I never understood this. I tend to play games on the hardest level, like I'm doing Mass Effect Andromeda on Insane at the minute, although I've already got the achievement now by doing gold extractions on multiplayer. I've sat and hit Pokemon gyms for an hour or two while they were getting berried, and people did comment then that I have a ludicrous amount of patience, but I just enjoy the process of playing so am fairly dispassionate about it not going my way for a while.

I'm the same way.  I tend to think that people who become enraged at videogames have anger management issues.

the

Some people have real problems with anger I'm sure, if I let out a FFS it's just jokey. That's just about dissipation of the tense energy that builds up when your concentration and control is tested to the max and then dashed away in an instant. It's not anger at all, a plip of steam.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Games can also involve a fairly hefty investment of time and money. If you get stuck because a bit is shoddily difficult (as opposed to tough but fair) I think that's legitimate grounds for some level of annoyance.

I've never lobbed a controller at the wall, but I have occasionally grumbled "Oh, fuck off" in the imagined direction of the developers. Bloodborne was mostly fair, but a couple of the bosses were a right pisstake.

nugget

I got angry last night with some stupid boss on Luigi's Mansion on the 3DS. Pathetic I know. It's probably really easy but I just couldn't figure out the one specific thing you need to do to beat it.

I used to regularly go into a proper rage when I used to play online shooters. That's normal though isn't it?

Bhazor

I do a lot and its mostly controls. If I die even though I PRESSED THE GODDAMN FUCKING BUTTON I'll be quite peeved. Doubly so in multiplayer. It's why I gave up on Overwatch, a high speed game that has a very slight input lag. Ball poppingly aggravating. In more abstract control I'll also get pissed in strategy games when the cunt I clicked on goes off on the most ludicrous world trip to get from point A to point B. Total War in particular has a very aggravating "skirmish" setting for archers. Wherein they're supposed to retreat backwards behind the spearmen as the enemy melee troops approach. Unfortunately because the makers are complete fuck "retreat" often translates to "if the enemy gets within 200feet run at 90º angle from the troops I put there to protect you". Its a guarantee that I'm going to Alt+f4 out and play a game of angry fetch with the dogs.

Non control based angries is generally multiplayer games where I keep getting killed by someone playing an easier character. Playing as Pharah and getting killed by Soldier or McCree's ulti. Playing Crystal Maiden and getting killed in one hit by Antimage. Or the classic Oddjob cunt.

Johnny Textface

Fond memories from back in the nes days; mate in rage yanking nes cartridges out, mid game, and slinging them full strength at the wall. Batman I think. Nintendo built them well luckily.

Bazooka

Quote from: BJBMK2 on August 24, 2018, 01:09:59 PM
The underwater boss in Banjo Tooie, the only time I've ever (to my shame), had one of those "ITS THE GAMES FAULT, ITS RIGGED MATE!", moments.

Oh, and the (again) underwater boss in Majoras Mask, where I delivered the final blow...just as the end of the world timer hit zero, reset everything, and I now have to do the whole bastard cunt prick wanker nobhead temple again.

And again...

I can relate entirely.

Hecate

Took me a good few months of playing with an arcade stick before I was better than I was with a pad. I was forever hitting the diagonals by accident.
Choosing mushihimesama futari as my training ground probably wasn't the best idea.
I had a good laugh at myself when I realised I'd been swearing at crustaceans for the past five minutes.

Also when I taught myself to "git gud" with a pad in first person shooters, coming from pc where I am the undisputed king, it took me a good humbling month of abject failure before I was topping the leaderboards again and I can remember beating myself up about that as well.

It's mostly me just shouting at myself for not being competent, I channel my dad and call myself a stupid fucking idiot for a while until I calm down. I can't remember the last time I lost my blob specifically at the game itself, though I'm sure it's happened.

In other news my nephew has kicked fuck out of two keyboards playing fortnite. The most recent one he managed to snap the spacebar in half. Legend.

FredNurke

Since someone's mentioned Banjo-Tooie, two words: Canary MOTHERFUCKING Mary.

Sorry, that ended up as three words due to stress-induced situational Tourette's.

Glebe

I've been playing the Batman Arkham games lately, there's some tricky stuff in them and little glitches and that that have really made me boil. I'm currently struggling to defeat Bane in Arkham Origins.

BeardFaceMan

I'm not one for getting angry at games too much but I felt like if I carried on playing Cuphead, that would be that game that would have me breaking my "throwing the controller out of the window" duck.

Glebe

I got by Bane and now I'm getting frustrated with the train bomb hacking.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

"All you had to do was follow the damn train, CJ!"

monolith

When I was a teenager I kept a baseball bat in my room and would start smashing my PC with it if I was losing at a game.

Wish I'd recorded it.

QDRPHNC

Last game I felt any hostility towards was Battlefield 1, because it's very boring.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on August 25, 2018, 06:10:14 PM
"All you had to do was follow the damn train, CJ!"

*shudders*

I haven't thought about that since I played the game back in 2004 and yet as soon as you quoted that line, the terrible memories came flooding back.