Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:43:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Factual Errors in Reviews, Books, etc

Started by Satchmo Distel, August 24, 2018, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 24, 2018, 08:24:05 PM
When actually the album title, Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy by Elton John clearly should take that accolade.

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 28, 2018, 08:22:36 PM
I don't think there is any 'Worst.....' accolade that doesn't rightfully belong to The Stereophonics.

Kelly Jones: Worst one-year-old of 1975.

idunnosomename

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on August 26, 2018, 06:59:13 PM
I could never stand him for that Jailbreak 'observation', what the matter can't cope with the concept of a metaphor? Young men breaking down the walls of social confinement, which could break out anywhere, or something?

Isn't it explained by the original LP gatefold? Which I have somewhere. I mean it's some post-apocalyptic future where the underground captives could breakout anywhere.

Tikwid

Having read both Mike Rutherford's and Phil Collins' autobiogs I can say I noticed a lot more date mixups in Mike's - one I remember was a mention of Talk Talk being heckled at their 1978 Nebworth show. Except.......Talk Talk were still three years away from formation, and I'm pretty sure it was their support slot for Genesis' Milton Keynes reunion gig in '82 that ended up with bottles being thrown.

Far more worrying is this page from a Pink Floyd photobook I bought back when I was first getting into them:

I have no idea who that is, but it definitely isn't Rick.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Tikwid on August 29, 2018, 08:11:22 AM
Far more worrying is this page from a Pink Floyd photobook I bought back when I was first getting into them:

I have no idea who that is, but it definitely isn't Rick.

Looks a bit like Keith Emerson.

Maurice Yeatman

Yes, it's Emerson's piano accordion solo in C'est La Vie during ELP's 1977 Works tour.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwdqBhYVZ_M#t=25m05s

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 28, 2018, 10:44:49 PM
Isn't it explained by the original LP gatefold? Which I have somewhere. I mean it's some post-apocalyptic future where the underground captives could breakout anywhere.

Yes, and it's got a cutout on the front cover so you see the group being viewed on a high tek TV thingie when it's shut,

open it up and they're running away from a huge explosion possibly a jail being broken

very Cool. Obv.

I really need to dig out my copy sometime.

Maconie's lost it. Just now claimed that Philip Schofield was the DJ who tried to ban Jesus & Mary Chain. Had to correct himself after the next track.

Jockice

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on August 30, 2018, 01:25:33 PM
Maconie's lost it. Just now claimed that Philip Schofield was the DJ who tried to ban Jesus & Mary Chain. Had to correct himself after the next track.

Yeah, what the fuck was that all about?  I've never heard so much nonsense in my life.

Chriddof

Phillip Schofield actually was briefly a DJ on Radio 1, but not quite in a full-time capacity - he'd got the job following his initial success in the Broom Cupboard and with Going Live, and presented some shows on Thursday evenings and at the weekends (one of which was called "Going Live On Radio 1"). The thing about The Jesus & Mary Chain is clearly Maconie skim-reading something on Wikipedia and getting muddled up. Pip did have a run-in of sorts with a popular indie band, but it wasn't JAMC, and there were no attempts at banning anyone - he incurred the wrath of Carter USM in 1991 when he was presenting the Smash Hits Poll Winners Party. He took the piss out of them after they attempted to trash the stage, and one of Carter was suitably enraged to run back and knock him to the floor live on air. You can find the clip on Youtube.