Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:44:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Interpol album

Started by Johnny Textface, August 24, 2018, 08:17:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Textface

Slightly wonky production on this. Assume it's a choice and not a fuck up by a very well known mixer/tech bod.

Good tunes though. A great band I think with a strong back catalogue and consistently tight live performances.

Any fans in these parts? Thoughts on new one?

I'll rank then from best to worst cos I know that's interesting :
4,1,2,5,3. 6 is yet to enter the blood stream.

sevendaughters

I thought The Rover sounded pretty good for a skim-listen. I'll have a proper listen to the album this week.

As far as I can tell it has been generally diminishing returns since the first album, which is brilliant.

Z

Anyone else remember being really underwhelmed by Antics?
What the fuck was I thinking then? Like, it's not the debut but it's pretty solid for a band that never really seemed like they'd have a string a knockouts.

It's actually really really weird that Interpol, of all the bands around back then, are one of the few who have remained fairly consistently active.

sevendaughters

I was so-so on Antics. It's grown on me a little more over time and think C'mere, Slow Hands, and Narc are very good.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

I thought Antics was great. Tied with Missasagua Goddam by The Hidden Cameras for my fave album of 2004.

Interpol is now one of those bands where I always buy the new album even if I don't play it more than a few times.

One thing about them: when they were getting attention with their 1st album, I could have sworn I read somewhere they'd started out as a Smiths cover band, and had taken a long time to get any record company interest. Yet I've never seen anyone else who knows that story. Is it true or not?

Johnny Textface

Noy heard The Smiths thing before, although Say Hello to the Angels is very reminiscent.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Z on August 27, 2018, 06:27:32 PM
It's actually really really weird that Interpol, of all the bands around back then, are one of the few who have remained fairly consistently active.

A lot of popular indie bands from the early noughties are still very much active.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Mark Steels Stockbroker on August 28, 2018, 08:13:49 PM
One thing about them: when they were getting attention with their 1st album, I could have sworn I read somewhere they'd started out as a Smiths cover band, and had taken a long time to get any record company interest. Yet I've never seen anyone else who knows that story. Is it true or not?

There used to be this long-forgotten video service that would tape entire shows of bands passing through the Georgia area that featured Interpol way before TOTBL (with the original drummer who wasn't as good) and if anything, from my memory, the sound was a bit less like any British post-punk/indie-pop group and more like something that could open for Built To Spill.

Clownbaby

Interpol frustrate me a bit cause they're one of those bands, for me anyway, who have a lot of songs that go a bit wispy and lose their energy/tune halfway through. It's hard to explain and maybe down to me just not being totally into them despite liking a handful of their songs. When they get it right though, there isn't really anyone who does eerie emotional tension much better.

I've always liked how nice and smart they look though. Sexy bunch of lads. I'm still gonna give this new album album a go even though I'll probably only like half of it

Clownbaby

Listened to whole thing twice over. Same problem I've always had with Interpol wherein a lot of the songs are kind of watery and nondescript to my ears but it's alright I guess.

Dr Syntax Head

One of my all time favourite bands that make pretty much the same version of the debut album type. Love them, I will buy this and want to put TOTBL or Antics immediately after.

They have one the best drummers in rock.

Dr Syntax Head

JUST FUCKING BLEEDING HELL!!!! Amazing album. Best since Antics it's just soooo fucking cool. Album of the year for me