Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:34:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Topic: Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Two.

Started by Dr Rock, August 26, 2018, 02:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MidnightShambler

Quote from: buzby on April 27, 2019, 11:20:59 AM
We were still going there for days out in the summer holidays, the indoor fair and the Golden Goose arcade at the old pier entrance was still there, as was the baths (though as you say it met it's end in 1990). The model boating lake was always my first destination from getting off the train though. The Floral Pavillion and Chelsea Reach nightclub were also still going I think (Radio Merseyside were always promoting concerts at the Pavillion).

It's all about perspective I think - to a kid from the Norris Green council estate (which was also awash with heroin, like most fo Merseyside at the time) New Brighton still looked like an exciting and fun place for a day out (though I do remember if you went on the beach round by the Golden Goose there would be raw sewage everywhere as it was before the Mersey Interceptor sewer schemes had been completed on both sides of the river).

Southport had a lot more going for it at that time (helped by the locals being a bit more better off), but I'd agree that these days New Brighton is a much nicer place to be after all the work the council has put in to it's redevelopment (Southport is probably in a worse state now, ironically).

I remember going to Southport for the first time around then and thinking I'd landed in paradise. The place was actually clean! You're right, perspective is important, I spent most of my formative years in Bootle and as bad as that place is now, it was much worse in the 1980s, if you discount the shootings.

The Golden Goose, fuck me that brings back memories. It was the only place in New Brighton that still had Operation Wolf when it closed in about 1993, so it was still a favourite of mine. The beach around there was a cesspool as you say, though it wasn't much better further along, though that was more a litter problem and the general state of the Mersey at the time. The Chelsea closed in the early 2000s, I used to love that place. It had long since had its heyday though. Blood On The Dole was partly filmed in there, if I remember rightly.

Made me feel a bit old, this conversation! Sorry for boring everybody else with New Brightons potted history, I'll shut up now!!

jobotic

I was born in Southport.

I have nothing else to add as we moved down South when I was six months old. 1973 it was.

Was going to visit when I went to Liverpool but didn't have time.

I'm like Buzby with my expertise. Asonh as you want to know about me.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: MidnightShambler on April 27, 2019, 11:49:59 AM
I remember going to Southport for the first time around then and thinking I'd landed in paradise. The place was actually clean! You're right, perspective is important, I spent most of my formative years in Bootle and as bad as that place is now, it was much worse in the 1980s, if you discount the shootings.

The Golden Goose, fuck me that brings back memories. It was the only place in New Brighton that still had Operation Wolf when it closed in about 1993, so it was still a favourite of mine. The beach around there was a cesspool as you say, though it wasn't much better further along, though that was more a litter problem and the general state of the Mersey at the time. The Chelsea closed in the early 2000s, I used to love that place. It had long since had its heyday though. Blood On The Dole was partly filmed in there, if I remember rightly.

Made me feel a bit old, this conversation! Sorry for boring everybody else with New Brightons potted history, I'll shut up now!!
I grew up in a arse-end of nowhere, dead-on-it's-arse coastal town, and we had places nearby like St Bees and Silloth that had a smaller kind of the New Brighton/Southport vibe. Beaches (though with Sellafield down the road from St Bees, you were brave to take a dip), grand houses overlooking them...

Went to Southport in about 1988 or so, to the Pontins, and agree it looked a fancy place then. Remember the beach looking like it went on forever. 25 years later, my then best friend lived out there and I got to see how on it's arse it is now. But on the plus side, I did see Sean Hughes do a very enjoyable stand-up routine at their comedy festival.

daf

17 September 1987: Presenters: Gary Davies & Mike Smith

(31) DEF LEPPARD – Pour Some Sugar On Me
Mostly 'Armless
(24) LUTHER VANDROSS – Stop To Love (video)
Golden Tonsils (Blork!)
(12) HOUSE MASTER BOYZ & THE RUDE BOY OF HOUSE – House Nation
Write out "I must not be a rude boy" 100 times
(6) CLIFF RICHARD – Some People
Ooh - check out 'Mr Perfect'!
(25) THE COMMUNARDS – Tomorrow
On the Fiddle
(20) KAREL FIALKA – Hey Matthew
On the Box
(1) RICK ASTLEY – Never Gonna Give You Up
At least until I get a look at your pants

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51106326@N00/sets/72157678775368565

(2) M/A/R/R/S – Pump Up The Volume (video / credits)
Pump That Bass

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/62d6728089543eef6ce3acdfc9af8cd520190426181903/82c048

That WASP video is odd, and a somewhat racist name for an act.

non capisco

I'm no musicologist so I can't explain the alchemy of why this works but the bit in 'What Have I Done To Deserve This?' when Dusty Springfield sings "but I don't know-wohh.." and then it goes back into the "How am I gonna get through?" hook is utter magic. Fucking love Pet Shop Boys.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on April 27, 2019, 05:58:53 PM
That WASP video is odd, and a somewhat racist name for an act.

'We Are Sexual Perverts'

(supposedly)

famethrowa

Quote from: Dr Rock on April 27, 2019, 11:38:14 PM
'We Are Sexual Perverts'

(supposedly)

Well I was told it was "We Are Satan's People"

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: buzby on April 26, 2019, 10:47:20 PM

I don't care what anyone says, this is a banger of a tune - the production is excellent, as are pint-sized powerhouse (and ex-resident of Huyton) Decker's vocals but my favourite part is the rarely-used device of simultaneous vocal tracks with different melodies. I will also admit to having a bit of a crush on her at this time (though the follow-up single was nowhere near as interesting).This is obviously a banger as well.

Have you checked out Carol Decker's Secret Garden?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iStgl66k2fY

(forget the song, I'm just trying to make a cheap joke about CD's ginger lady garden)

daf

24 September 1987: Presenters: Gary Davies & Mike Smith

(11) JOHNNY HATES JAZZ – I Don't Want To Be A Hero
Triple Bass Bonk
(31) ABC – The Night You Murdered Love
Boy Scouts with the horn
(4) MADONNA – Causing A Commotion (video)
Teasmade . . Fondue set . . Cuddly Toy . . 
(19) JAN HAMMER – Crockett's Theme
Megabyte Modem
- - - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(26) GARY NUMAN – Cars (E Reg Model)
(16) LL COOL J – I Need Love
(5) MICHAEL JACKSON – Bad

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51106326@N00/sets/72157674963410654

(41) MICK JAGGER – Let's Work
Can't get no Solo-traction
(1) RICK ASTLEY – Never Gonna Give You Up (+ credits)
SAW V : Weeping Le-Willows

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/4d4466890f88ca60e6ed1685588baf7020190425070126/b8c2ec

DrGreggles

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on April 28, 2019, 11:11:05 AM
Have you checked out Carol Decker's Secret Garden?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iStgl66k2fY

(forget the song, I'm just trying to make a cheap joke about CD's ginger lady garden)

I think Carol Decker was my first MILF.
Despite the term not existing then, and her probably being under 30 at the time.

Dr Rock

daf

bonus "Top of the Pops USA" first edition :

25 September 1987: Presenter: Nia Peeples & Gary Davies (in London, England!!)

MICK JAGGER – Let's Work
MR MISTER - Something Real
JELLYBEAN - Who Found Who
LEVEL 42 – It's Over
BRYAN ADAMS - Victim of Love
LOVERBOY - Notorious
DAVE BOWIE & THE DAVE BOWIE BAND (feat. DAVE BOWIE) - Never Let Me Down
RICK ASTLEY – Never Gonna Give You Up
BANARAMA - I Heard a Rumor

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/656b85e5521323049c5a5748f47f68a120190425222313/ec9994

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: daf on April 28, 2019, 12:16:34 PM
24 September 1987: Presenters: Gary Davies & Mike Smith

(11) JOHNNY HATES JAZZ – I Don't Want To Be A Hero
Triple Bass Bonk
(31) ABC – The Night You Murdered Love
Boy Scouts with the horn
(4) MADONNA – Causing A Commotion (video)
Teasmade . . Fondue set . . Cuddly Toy . . 
(19) JAN HAMMER – Crockett's Theme
Megabyte Modem
- - - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(26) GARY NUMAN – Cars (E Reg Model)
(16) LL COOL J – I Need Love
(5) MICHAEL JACKSON – Bad

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51106326@N00/sets/72157674963410654

(41) MICK JAGGER – Let's Work
Can't get no Solo-traction
(1) RICK ASTLEY – Never Gonna Give You Up (+ credits)
SAW V : Weeping Le-Willows

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/4d4466890f88ca60e6ed1685588baf7020190425070126/b8c2ec

Mike Smith being particularly insufferable in this week.

That Def Leppard track, Pour Some Sugar On Me, rips off We Will Rock You by Queen and I Love Rock N Roll by Joan Jett so much that I'm amazed neither act sued.

The WASP track's lyrics seem somewhat Clockwork Orange nasty although it seems from the video to be a puppet horror song gimmick that wouldn't scare any sentient adult.

the

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on April 28, 2019, 09:00:18 PMThat Def Leppard track, Pour Some Sugar On Me, rips off We Will Rock You by Queen and I Love Rock N Roll by Joan Jett so much that I'm amazed neither act sued.

Surely it bears far more resemblance to Here I Go Again by Whitesnake. But it could just be a matter of stomping rock songs just being quite generic.

Pauline Walnuts

I thought the WASP one was a rip off of Balls to the Wall by Accept, but then...

Quote from: the on April 28, 2019, 09:31:15 PM
But it could just be a matter of stomping rock songs just being quite generic.

Quote from: buzby on April 20, 2019, 09:14:12 PM
Yes, they have got the hang of the pitch correction function of the Infernal Machine now, to the point where if you pitched down I Should Be So Lucky it sounded like Rick Astley singing, which Rick still gets asked about.

As a kid, I used to listen to the local station Radio Mercury, and they had a "wacky" DJ who called himself Auntie Damien who probably fancied himself as a bit of a Kenny Everett type.  He mentioned the "Kylie as slowed down Rick Astley" thing, but also made the point that if you sped up Rick Astley, instead of Kylie Minogue you got a smurf.

And then proceeded to play his own version of I Should Be So Lucky, with smurf voices in harmony overdubbed.  I found new respect for him as a DJ, as he clearly had talent - and the slow build of the gag to the eventual cacophony of smurfs at the end of the track seemed pretty well played.  One of the other things he did was cut the "F" and "M" out of Mel and Kim's FLM, and build it into a new jingle for the radio station (102.7 FM).

He just seemed to disappear completely.  No idea what became of him, but it's a shame that the likes of Moyles rose to such success rather than a genuinely funny and talented chap like him.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Darles Chickens on April 29, 2019, 11:26:41 AMOne of the other things he did was cut the "F" and "M" out of Mel and Kim's FLM, and build it into a new jingle for the radio station (102.7 FM)

Reminds me, Colin Vearncombe did a R1 jingle version of Wonderful Life: "It's a Radio 1-derful life..."

Currently listening through these - hope it's on there 

boki

Quote from: Dr Rock on April 28, 2019, 12:41:40 PM
WE WILL NEVER FORGET.
It wasn't until the lineup got to this bit that I realised I'd actually seen this episode when it aired, funnily enough.  I remember thinking "Number 41?  If it wasn't Mick Jagger, there's no way they'd bother with that!" Song's alright, though, and letting Mick mince around the studio's a guaranteed good time.

Norton Canes

At this juncture I feel it might be appropriate for us to have a moment's silence for Depeche Mode's Never Let Me Down Again, which crashed into the chart at no. 22, dropped a few places the subsequent week and disappeared without so much as an appearance in the Breakers. The band must surely have had higher hopes for a song clearly intended to be a career-defining epic, and which indeed went on to become a staple of their live finales. They did get to perform it on The Roxy but the video's recently been taken off YT.

Of course it wasn't the most disappointing chart placing for a song with 'Never Let Me Down' in the title that year.

Norton Canes

Also, I'm posting this picture of Bananarama from one of the Smash Hits linked above, because... well, because they look fucking fantastic, that's why.

boki

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 29, 2019, 12:40:42 PM
Also, I'm posting this picture of Bananarama from one of the Smash Hits linked above, because... well, because they look fucking fantastic, that's why.
IIIIIIIIII'd banana ram 'er, etc.

Kill me now.

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 29, 2019, 12:36:58 PM
At this juncture I feel it might be appropriate for us to have a moment's silence for Depeche Mode's Never Let Me Down Again, which crashed into the chart at no. 22, dropped a few places the subsequent week and disappeared without so much as an appearance in the Breakers. The band must surely have had higher hopes for a song clearly intended to be a career-defining epic, and which indeed went on to become a staple of their live finales. They did get to perform it on The Roxy but the video's recently been taken off YT.

Of course it wasn't the most disappointing chart placing for a song with 'Never Let Me Down' in the title that year.

One of my favourites by them, especially the 12" split mix.

buzby

Quote from: Darles Chickens on April 29, 2019, 11:26:41 AM
As a kid, I used to listen to the local station Radio Mercury, and they had a "wacky" DJ who called himself Auntie Damien who probably fancied himself as a bit of a Kenny Everett type.  He mentioned the "Kylie as slowed down Rick Astley" thing, but also made the point that if you sped up Rick Astley, instead of Kylie Minogue you got a smurf.

And then proceeded to play his own version of I Should Be So Lucky, with smurf voices in harmony overdubbed.  I found new respect for him as a DJ, as he clearly had talent - and the slow build of the gag to the eventual cacophony of smurfs at the end of the track seemed pretty well played.  One of the other things he did was cut the "F" and "M" out of Mel and Kim's FLM, and build it into a new jingle for the radio station (102.7 FM).

He just seemed to disappear completely.  No idea what became of him, but it's a shame that the likes of Moyles rose to such success rather than a genuinely funny and talented chap like him.

We had a similar off-the-wall DJ on Radio City in Liverpool around 1990-91 called Cousin Matty, as mentioned by TJ in this old SOTCAA thread. He had a blaze of lunacy for about a year (winning the 1991 Sony Radio gold award for Best rock and pop programme) and then diappeared completely (though he pop up on Sunset FM in Manchester for a short while afterwards)

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 29, 2019, 12:36:58 PM
Agreed, it was a terrible shame that it never became a hit over here. It's my favourite DM song.

daf

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on April 28, 2019, 08:41:26 PM
Mike Smith being particularly insufferable in this week.

And raking it in at the rate of 38p per minute - Ker-ching!

daf

1 October 1987: Presenters: Gary Davies & Mike Smith

(13) THE SISTERS OF MERCY – This Corrosion
Leather Skeletor
(3) MICHAEL JACKSON – Bad (video)
Jambon!
(22) THE BEE GEES – You Win Again
Mo Diddley

(16) GARY NUMAN – Cars (E Reg Model)
Running on Empty
(36) STEVE WINWOOD – Valerie
Unleash the bum-squats!
(27) SHAKIN' STEVENS – Come See About Me
Heterosexual Motown Soul
(1) M/A/R/R/S – Pump Up The Volume (video / credits)
Puff Up The Campbell

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/09f59602cc8217a52d330d95a8a0be6020190426183613/858e22

Youtube Version :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrvQ_XmZklk