Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:48:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Topic: Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Two.

Started by Dr Rock, August 26, 2018, 02:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: daf on May 17, 2019, 10:30:37 PM
19 November 1987: Presenters: Simon Mayo & Steve Wright ("May-O . . . Ma-a-a-y-O . . . DJ Come, an me wanna go home!")

(20) BARRY WHITE – Sho' You Right
'Walrus', surely?

Simon 'Beige' Mayo is even beige and cornmeal coloured when he's being an obnoxious little shit.

Gulftastic

I enjoyed how Wrighty was dressed as the early 80's, and Mayo was dressed as the late 80's.

dfurnell

Quote from: daf on May 17, 2019, 10:30:37 PM
(25) THE PROCLAIMERS – Letter From America

What there's a KLF connection you say? Why yes of course. It's another of the stories that contains the phrase. '... and Bill liked them so much, he re-mortgaged his house....'.

When I was attending the 'Welcome to the Dark Ages' event in Liverpool in 2018 a speaker at one event was (I think) an early manager of The Proclaimers. I wondered why he was there. Apparently a chain of events had led Bill Drummond to hear, and presumably love, their work. I think they were not able to get a deal. Unable to sign them to the disbanded Zoo label, Bill nevertheless liked them so much he re-mortgaged his house to fund (I think) getting some demos done in exchange for some publishing rights. Hence you if you dig out your 7 inch copies of 'Letter From America' and 'I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)' and so on you will notice one of the publishers is Zoo Music Ltd. Talk about a shrewd investment, imagine having even a small slice of royalties from those tunes given they haven't stopped being played for the last 30 years. Bill did sell Zoo Music to Warners I think at some point so maybe he's not coining it in much anymore.

buzby

Quote from: dfurnell on May 20, 2019, 02:45:14 PM
What there's a KLF connection you say? Why yes of course. It's another of the stories that contains the phrase. '... and Bill liked them so much, he re-mortgaged his house....'.

When I was attending the 'Welcome to the Dark Ages' event in Liverpool in 2018 a speaker at one event was (I think) an early manager of The Proclaimers. I wondered why he was there. Apparently a chain of events had led Bill Drummond to hear, and presumably love, their work. I think they were not able to get a deal. Unable to sign them to the disbanded Zoo label, Bill nevertheless liked them so much he re-mortgaged his house to fund (I think) getting some demos done in exchange for some publishing rights. Hence you if you dig out your 7 inch copies of 'Letter From America' and 'I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)' and so on you will notice one of the publishers is Zoo Music Ltd. Talk about a shrewd investment, imagine having even a small slice of royalties from those tunes given they haven't stopped being played for the last 30 years. Bill did sell Zoo Music to Warners I think at some point so maybe he's not coining it in much anymore.

It was David Balfe, Drummond's partner in Zoo, who saw Craig & Charlie on The Tube (on 30/01/87) and phoned Bill, suggesting they sign them to their music publishing company Zoo Music Ltd. At the time Bill had left his A&R job at WEA (following the commercial failure of Jimmy's band Brilliant) and had released his own folk album The Man on Creation Records in 1986, so he couldn't offer them a record deal (they signed to Chrysalis shortly afterwards). He contributed one of his video lectures to the 2017 Proclaimers documentary This Is the Story, with a brief explanation of his link to them (jump to about 15 minutes in).

They had already been signed to Chrysalis and released their first album by the time they signed the publishing deal with Zoo Music. For their debut EP and album their publisher was Copyright Control, and they would have had to be bought out of that deal to sign with Zoo.. The Zoo Music/Warners deal also only covers the UK and parts of Europe - in the US for example ,they are signed to Warner Bros. Music..

Drummond and Balfe created a new label under WEA called Korova as part of them signing Echo & The Bunnymen, but they still own Zoo Music Ltd (though it is administered in partnership with Warner Music, again as part of the deal that brought Bill and David to WEA).

The 'remortgaging his house' story relates to how Bill financed the first tour for the Bunnymen, and on making his money back he did it again to finance the recording of Teardrops' first LP in return for them both signing publishing deals with Zoo Music.

buzby

A bit more additional info to the above post. Drummond and Balfe's quest to sign The Proclaimers to Zoo Music led to seeing them play live at Central Park, Burton-Upon-Trent on 14/05/87 (supporting Voice Of The Beehive - the brothers disagree as to whether there were 40 or 70 people in the audience that night). I believe it was at this gig where they agreed to sign their publishing to Zoo.

Their debut album This Is The Story, had been released the previous month (27/04/87), which featured the original acoustic version of Letter From America. Thier debut single Throw The 'R' Away was released at the beginning of May to promote the album, but didn't chart. Chrysalis were looking for potential further singles from the album but were concerned that the acoustic folk sound wasn't chart-friendly enough, so they persuaded the brothers to re-record the song with a full band (they initially refused, worried it would be seen as 'selling out'). The single version was produced by Gerry Rafferty (featuring his wife Carla on backing vocals, and ex-Sniff 'n' The Tears guitarist Mick Dyche) and was released at the beginning of November, initially entering the chart at #97.

As well as the 7" and 12" releases, a limited-edition 10" version was released with a double groove, which would randomly play either the acoustic or full band version when the needle was dropped. After the single became a hit, the album was reissued with the full band version added as an extra track.

For the first few years of their career, the brothers were managed by Edinburgh-based Kai Davidson, who had previously played in one of their earlier bands Reasons For Emotion. When the band split in 1983 and the Reids decided to go solo, he became their manager while continuing to play in Edinburgh punk band The Cateran, who often played as support for The Proclaimers. He bowed out from managing them after the release of their debut album so he could concentrate on his own band. When The Cateran split in 1991, he formed The Joyriders with his friend Murdo MacLeod, but despite having 2 NME Singles Of The Week they never broke through and are mainly remembered for inviting Nirvana to play at a local benefit concert for the Edinburgh Sick Kids Hospital the sunday after their Edinburgh and Glasgow shows on their 1991 tour.

Davidson went on to become a care worker, but tragically committed suicide in 2007 after suffering from depression brought on by chronic lung disease. He had remained close friends with the Reids, and when a memorial fund was established in his name to support young musicians they donated £20,000 to it.

daf

26 November 1987: Presenters: Simon Bates & Gary Davies

(24) BLUE MERCEDES – I Want To Be Your Property
Vertical Keyboard Plank
(18) BOY GEORGE – To Be Reborn (video)
Scouse-Brow!
(4) THE COMMUNARDS – Never Can Say Goodbye
Glorious Gaynerd
(27) SHAKIN' STEVENS – What Do You Want To Make Those Eyes At Me For?
Knock-Knee Jiving Slam
- - - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(28) THE HOOTERS – Satellite
(23) PAUL MCCARTNEY – Once Upon A Long Ago
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(19) THE HOUSEMARTINS – Build
House Music

(1) T'PAU – China In Your Hand
T'Pot
(2) GEORGE HARRISON – Got My Mind Set On You (video / credits)
While my Grandfather Clock Gently Wobbles

DrGreggles

Quote from: daf on May 23, 2019, 09:14:43 PM
(27) SHAKIN' STEVENS – What Do You Want To Make Those Eyes At Me For?

With a famous cameo in the video as well, to boot!

daf

3 December 1987: Presenters: Gary Davies & Janice Long

(22) THE HOOTERS – Satellite
The Heetleg Hootles
(4) ALEXANDER O'NEAL – Criticize (video)
That Ain't Nothing Like Shagging!
(3) THE PROCLAIMERS – Letter From America
First Class Delivery

(26) DEF LEPPARD – Hysteria
(24) CUTTING CREW – I've Been In Love Before
(18) JELLYBEAN featuring ELISA FIORILLO – Who Found Who
(16) MICHAEL JACKSON – The Way You Make Me Feel
(14) PAUL MCCARTNEY – Once Upon A Long Ago
The Fab Four Seasons
Saxual Squealing
(12) MAXI PRIEST – Some Guys Have All The Luck (+ credits)
Thanks Smash Hits Readers!

buzby

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on May 25, 2019, 12:34:29 PM
Was Jacko's video played?
Yes. Also, later on in the evening they showed The People's History Of Pop documentary, where Danny Baker visited fans with rare and usual pop memorabilia.

Bobby Treetops

Shagging!

So when The Tams are going on about 'there being nothing like shagging' do they mean shagging as in shagging, or is this a US translation that isn't blatantly about shagging?

Heh heh heh...shagging...heh heh heh

Gulftastic

The video to the Jacko track features him nagging some lass. I think he's trying to get her to let him babysit her son or something.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Bobby Treetops on May 25, 2019, 10:18:13 PM
Shagging!

So when The Tams are going on about 'there being nothing like shagging' do they mean shagging as in shagging, or is this a US translation that isn't blatantly about shagging?

A type of dance I think.

Johnboy

the Hooter's lead singer's outfit and Rickenbacker brought to mind Scritti's performance of Absolute which isn't on youtube I'm afraid.

the Housemartins are shifting about in their seats so much they may as well have been standing up. I've grown to unexpectedly really like this song.

buzby

Quote from: daf on May 23, 2019, 09:14:43 PM
26 November 1987: Presenters: Simon Bates & Gary Davies

(24) BLUE MERCEDES – I Want To Be Your Property
Sounds like an ABC tribute band being produced by PWL (it was the B-team of 'Mixmaster' Phil Harding and Ian  Curnow - even this early PWL were running two production teams to churn out tracks on an industrial scale). It managed to top the Billboard Dance chart for 4 weeks, inexplicably.

No idea what that upright bass/keyboard thing was supposed to be. The keys are clearly just glued onto it, and it doesn't feature in either of the promo video attempts (the second, clearly for the US market, actually features Cyd Charisse doing a dance number) or on the sleeve art. Speaking of which, they made the schoolboy error of using a blue Bentley rather than a Mercedes:

(18) BOY GEORGE – To Be Reborn (video)
Big-money video (directed by superstar promo director Jean-Baptiste Mondino) for what is clearly a blatant attempt at the Christmas number one. Co-written with Lamont Dozier, Ian Maidman does a passable  Pino Palladino-style fretless bassline.

Quote from: daf on May 24, 2019, 08:54:21 PM
3 December 1987: Presenters: Gary Davies & Janice Long

(22) THE HOOTERS – Satellite
As Geldof said after Bill Graham put this lot on as openers for the US leg of Live Aid, 'Who the fuck are The Hooters?' (they were Philly natives, and local promoter Larry Magid pulled some strings with Graham to get them on the bill). They had been reasonably successful in the US after the Live Aid leg-up, but had nothing here up until this.

It was the second single from their third album One Way Home, and is basically Celtic Rock via Philadelphia (lead single Johnny B failed to chart in the UK). and became a hit after being playlisted on Radio 1 (I presume via a FJ's patronage). The song was not so successful back home, due to the lyrics' overt criticism of televangelists.

Follow-up Karla With A K only reached #81 the following January and that would be that last they would see of the UK chart.
(26) DEF LEPPARD – Hysteria
Dreary FM Rock ballad
(24) CUTTING CREW – I've Been In Love Before
A re-release of their debut single that had peaked at #31 in November 1986. It had been released in the US as the follow-up to their number one hit I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight and reached #9 the previous month, prompting it to be put back out in the UK. This was the last tome they would break the Top 40.
(18) JELLYBEAN featuring ELISA FIORILLO – Who Found Who
At 15, Fiorello won the 1985 Star Search US TV talent contest, and by 1987 had a record deal with Chrysalis, so like Steven Dante on his previous single this was another case of Benitez helping break new singers on the same record label. On the back of this single's success Fiorello went on to record her debut solo album but it was not successful and she became a backing vocalist, working on Prince's Graffiti Bridge and Batman albums.

Prince took a shine to her (I bet he did, the dirty bollocks) and produced and co-wrote her second album at Paisley Park. She continued to work with Prince on and off, contributing backing vocals on Diamonds And Pearls, and than after a long period as a touring backing singer (for savage Garden, amongst others), she became part of the NPG in 2009, wokring on all of Prince's tours until his death.
(14) PAUL MCCARTNEY – Once Upon A Long Ago
Linda on the Emulator II, emulating being a keyboard player. A rare sighting of Sir Fab Macca Wacky Thumbs Aloft's extremely rare 1957 left handed Les Paul Goldtop, which he also used in the alternative video (presuambly made before the animated Christmas cash-in version was ready).
(12) MAXI PRIEST – Some Guys Have All The Luck (+ credits)
It's Taddy P with his weird hybrid of a Cort and Westone Rail headless bass again.

daf

10 December 1987: Presenter: Mike Smith

(4) PET SHOP BOYS – Always On My Mind
Always On My Stage *

(3) MICHAEL JACKSON – The Way You Make Me Feel (video)
Sleazy Groin-Thrust
(2) RICK ASTLEY – When I Fall In Love
I will sing . . . a Cover 
(27) JOHNNY HATES JAZZ – Turn Back The Clock
"The Suit Sketch"
(15) MADONNA – The Look Of Love
(13) MEL & KIM – Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree
(9) ALISON MOYET – Love Letters
S.W.A.L.K #
T'Cup
(11) JELLYBEAN FEATURING ELISA FIORILLO – Who Found Who (TOTP US clip? / credits)
Send in the Clowns

* (crouching behind the keyboards)
# (Sung With A Lovely Kroon)
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/bc0582141c9bf901b060bb92b167d6fe20190527100715/33d2b2
Youtube version : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu7hfNJKEAA

Dr Rock

Johnny Hates Jazz is the rotten dullness that Ooh Gary Davies would think was classy and make his record of the week.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: buzby on May 27, 2019, 01:09:14 AMAs Geldof said after Bill Graham put this lot on as openers for the US leg of Live Aid, 'Who the fuck are The Hooters?' (they were Philly natives, and local promoter Larry Magid pulled some strings with Graham to get them on the bill). They had been reasonably successful in the US after the Live Aid leg-up, but had nothing here up until this.

It was the second single from their third album One Way Home, and is basically Celtic Rock via Philadelphia (lead single Johnny B failed to chart in the UK). and became a hit after being playlisted on Radio 1 (I presume via a FJ's patronage). The song was not so successful back home, due to the lyrics' overt criticism of televangelists.

Follow-up Karla With A K only reached #81 the following January and that would be that last they would see of the UK chart.
They didn't see much of the US chart again either, though Eric Bazilian (one of the band's frontmen/songwriters) would curse us all with one of a later writing efforts. Incidentally, the other half of the Hooters' creative core, Rob Hyman, ensured his own healthy pension fund by co-writing "Time After Time" with Cyndi Lauper.

ALISON MOYET – Love Letters

One of those she now disowns and refuses to perform live?

kaprisky

Fri 7th June:

9pm
The Story of 1988.

10pm
Hits 1988.
QuoteSome of the most popular songs from 1988, including hits by S-Express, Bomb the Bass, Kylie Minogue & Jason Donovan, Bros, Tiffany, Enya, Neneh Cherry and Everything But the Girl.

Hopefully they'll update the synopsis nearer the time.

Was 1988 worse than 1987? I was at university and did not have a TV so am only vaguely aware of it from catching clips at friends' flats. The only album I heard that year was 'Viva Hate' which is now soiled by Morrissey's rabid racism.

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on May 28, 2019, 08:04:54 PM
Was 1988 worse than 1987? I was at university and did not have a TV so am only vaguely aware of it from catching clips at friends' flats. The only album I heard that year was 'Viva Hate' which is now soiled by Morrissey's rabid racism.

1988 was the year that house music established itself in the mainstream: Coldcut, S-Express, Bomb the Bass, all of that kind of samply scratchy stuff.  And SAW were more prolific than ever with all their carbon copy singers.

I preferred the stuff from '87 as a pop music obsessed kid.

daf

17 December 1987: Presenters: Gary Davies & Mike Read

(21) WET WET WET – Angel Eyes (Home & Away)
Dick Wettington

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51106326@N00/sets/72157677095358971

(6) MEL & KIM – Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree (video)
BOO! HISS!
(17) SIMPLY RED – Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye
Giant Pumpkin
(8) THE POGUES & KIRSTY MACCOLL – Fairytale Of New York
Beauty and the Beast
(22) LEVEL 42 - Children Say
(20) NAT KING COLE - When I Fall In Love
(19) BELINDA CARLISLE – Heaven Is A Place On Earth (US TOTP clip)
Fairy Godmother
(1) PET SHOP BOYS – Always On My Mind
Brothers Grimm
(9) MADONNA – The Look Of Love (video / credits)
Goldilocks

Norton Canes

Quote from: daf on May 30, 2019, 10:05:33 PM
(6) MEL & KIM – Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree (video)
BOO! HISS!

Sake! It would've been just as easy to splice something else in that one-second shot of Rolf as it was to edit out the entire video.

daf

25 December 1987: Presenters: Gary Davies & Mike Smith

(60) THE BEE GEES – You Win Again
Gibb-lets
RICK ASTLEY – Never Gonna Give You Up
The SAWnd of Music

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51106326@N00/sets/72157676862601442

- - - - - - - - - - - - (video clips) - - - - - - - - - - -
JACKIE WILSON – Reet Petite
BEN E KING – Stand By Me
M/A/R/R/S – Pump Up The Volume
STARSHIP – Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now
THE FIRM – Star Trekkin'
FERRY AID – Let It Be
PET SHOP BOYS – It's A Sin
Tangerine & a pair of stockings
- - - - - - - - (Xmas TOTP USA clips) - - - - - - - -
STING - Gabriel's Message
Christmas Past
U2 - Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
Christmas Present
(9) T'PAU – China In Your Hand
The Washing Up
- - - - - - - - - - - - (video clips) - - - - - - - - - - -
STEVE 'SILK' HURLEY – Jack Your Body
ARETHA FRANKLIN & GEORGE MICHAEL – I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me)
MADONNA – Who's That Girl?
MADONNA – La Isla Bonita
WHITNEY HOUSTON – I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)
Houston, We have a Pudding
(15) JOHNNY HATES JAZZ – Turn Back The Clock
Mulled Whine
(1) PET SHOP BOYS – Always On My Mind
Merry Chris Lowe and a Happy Neil Tennant
SPAGNA – Call Me (Montreux clip / audience dancing / credits)
A Cracker!

Full 50 minute version :
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/326ab9abf033366ce0e561f3aa098ebd20190531113208/e1bd85
45 min version (better quality, but no USA segment) :
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/77e56c1a333ce0ed54b93b66592c8cfe20190530071851/2cc79b

daf

31 December 1987: Presenters: Gary Davies & Peter Powell

(20) KRUSH – House Arrest
First Footing
(4) NAT 'KING' COLE – When I Fall In Love (clip from the 1957 film 'Istanbul')
Lump of Cole
(31) CLIMIE FISHER – Rise To The Occasion
Old Grey Wassail Test
(5) BELINDA CARLISLE – Heaven Is A Place On Earth (video)
Fi-i-i-i-ive Globe Things
(23) MORRIS MINOR & THE MAJORS – Stutter Rap (No Sleep Til Bedtime)
Three Rapping Berks

(21) CHER – I Found Someone (video)
PHWOARRR!!!
(10) WET WET WET – Angel Eyes (Home & Away)
Mellow Pellow
(1) PET SHOP BOYS – Always On My Mind (video)
And The Oscar Goes To  . . .
(3) MEL & KIM – Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree (video / credits)
Editin' Round the Rolfie Pic

Bobby Treetops

Quote from: daf on May 31, 2019, 09:55:29 PM

(23) MORRIS MINOR & THE MAJORS – Stutter Rap (No Sleep Til Bedtime)
Three Rapping Berks

As someone who has a stutter, this song brings back some pretty bad memories for me. I would have been 13 at the time and before this came out my stutter was rarely commented on at school, but afterwards every time I got stuck on a word, inevitably some joker would pipe up 'Alright, Stutter Rap'. It was always said in jest and it was teenage boys being teenage boys but it subsequently made my stutter worse.

Much like the Mini Pops record that's lingering in the top forty this week, it was ill considered and thought out.

Jockice

Quote from: Bobby Treetops on June 01, 2019, 09:23:53 AM
As someone who has a stutter, this song brings back some pretty bad memories for me. I would have been 13 at the time and before this came out my stutter was rarely commented on at school, but afterwards every time I got stuck on a word, inevitably some joker would pipe up 'Alright, Stutter Rap'. It was always said in jest and it was teenage boys being teenage boys but it subsequently made my stutter worse.

Much like the Mini Pops record that's lingering in the top forty this week, it was ill considered and thought out.

Amazing fact. One of this lot used to be e member of the same youth club in Sheffeld that spawned the Human League, Heaven 17, Clock DVA etc.