Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:06:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Topic: Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Two.

Started by Dr Rock, August 26, 2018, 02:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spudgun

Quote from: daf on October 12, 2018, 01:52:55 PM
26 June 1986: Presenters: Mike Smith & Steve Wright

It's got to be said that that's probably the most upbeat edition of TOTP we've had since 1984.

daf

10 July 1986: Presenters: Simon Bates & 'Diddy' Bruno Brookes

(16) MIDNIGHT STAR – Headlines
Triple Keytars
(17) ROD STEWART – Every Beat Of My Heart (video)
I am Railing, I am Railing . . .
(12) REAL ROXANNE WITH HITMAN HOWIE TEE – (Bang Zoom) Let's Go Go
I Ain't Pushing No Moon Button!
- - - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(26) FURNITURE – Brilliant Mind
(25) HAYWOODE – Roses
(24) STEVE WINWOOD – Higher Love
(22) UB40 – Sing Our Own Song
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51106326@N00/sets/72157662770024001

(3) OWEN PAUL – My Favourite Waste Of Time
My Favourite Vest of Mine
(1) MADONNA – Papa Don't Preach (video)
Bun in the Oven
(8) BANANARAMA – Venus (video / credits)
With bonus Owen Paul!!

gilbertharding

Quote from: daf on October 19, 2018, 08:46:19 PM

The hatred Bruno Brooks had for Simon Bates during their shared links was palpable.

I've probably already told you all the story of Bruno Brooks' box, haven't I?

daf

Bruno's Box?

You fascinate me strangely - spill on!

Norton Canes

daf

Tribute and salute to Jo Slee & Caryn Gough? ^

Norton Canes

Yeah, I was thinking the typeface and colour palette looked a bit Smiths-y.

daf

17 July 1986: Presenter: Mike 'Big hole in my trousers' Smith

(14) STEVE WINWOOD – Higher Love
Hiya, Love!
(6) UB40 – Sing Our Own Song (video)
Makes a change
(10) CHRIS DE BURGH – The Lady In Red
Chris De-But
- - - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(31) COCK ROBIN – The Promise You Made
(30) ROBERT PALMER – I Didn't Mean To Turn You On
(24) HOLLYWOOD BEYOND – What's The Colour Of Money?
(17) STAN RIDGWAY – Camouflage
Does he mean it? . . . Does he mean WHAT, Mike?
(1) MADONNA – Papa Don't Preach (video)
I'm not gonna keep my boob in

(3) SLY FOX – Let's Go All The Way + Stan Ridgway interview (video / credits)
Who's Bob Dylan?

https://we.tl/t-93qLVyb70g

gilbertharding

Quote from: daf on October 22, 2018, 01:44:04 PM
Bruno's Box?

You fascinate me strangely - spill on!

A friend of mine used to do sound engineering at the weekend. Installing extra PA equipment in nightclubs quite often - arriving in the afternoon with a van full of TurboSound cabinets and amplifiers for special events. One such afternoon a courier arrived, and my mate had to sign for what turned out to be a beer crate with some carpet nailed to the top. Instructions to place it on the stage.

Turned out to be the special box that night's special host stood on when he invited lovely ladies from the crowd onto the stage, so that no-one would notice what a short arsed little runt he was when he stood next to them.

Ladies and Gentlemen! Mister Bruno Trevor Brooks!!

daf

Dr Rock

Quote from: daf on October 22, 2018, 02:08:47 PM

(17) STAN RIDGWAY – Camouflage

Finally! I am properly de-virginised sometime around when this is in the charts. None of the other songs in recent TOTPs have placed any memorable incidents, so this is all I have. Thanks Stan.

daf

Anyone know what Mike Smith was going on about?  : "Did he mean it, or was he taking the mick"

Stan seemed equally baffled in the interview.

The song seemed a pretty straightforward Vietnam war tale with a Twilight Zone-ish twist :

QuoteThe song is sung from the viewpoint of a young P.F.C. (Private first class) of the United States Marine Corps during the Vietnam war. On a search and destroy mission he is separated from his patrol. Alone in the jungle, "hunting Charlies", he fears for his life when, unexpectedly, a "big marine" comes to his rescue introducing himself as "Camouflage". The two fight together through the course of a night making their way back to base, during which the PFC notices that Camouflage is unaffected by bullets and is capable of superhuman feats. Camouflage leaves after leading the PFC to the edge of his camp. On his return, the PFC is informed that Camouflage has been on his death bed for the past week and died the previous night, his last wish being "to save a young marine".

gilbertharding

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 22, 2018, 03:02:31 PM
Finally! I am properly de-virginised sometime around when this is in the charts. None of the other songs in recent TOTPs have placed any memorable incidents, so this is all I have. Thanks Stan.

For me, I was waiting for Happy Hour to hit the charts. My brother brought me the 12" single for my 16th birthday. We went to Ferry Meadows for the day and sailed dinghies.

Dr Rock

Quote from: daf on October 22, 2018, 03:07:18 PM
The song seemed a pretty straightforward Vietnam war tale with a Twilight Zone-ish twist :

Yes, it's clear enough. Every song on the accompanying album tells a story of sorts, Karl Pilkington would love it.

Wall Of Voodoo remains one of the best band names ever.

non capisco

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 22, 2018, 01:35:50 PM
The hatred Bruno Brooks had for Simon Bates during their shared links was palpable.

I thought the same. Bates' territorial pissing power move in the first link, his arm round Brookes in a demeaning "look at this little fella" demi-hug. Brookes visually bristling, the victim of Bates still not being over Gary Davies making him look a pillock in a recent episode.

"Do your Doctor and The Medics dance, Simon." Oooh, the nerve of that camel faced cunt. I fucking starting doing it and then chickened out as well. Should have just told him to fuck off.  I'm top dog around here. "It was better in rehearsal." Piss off, Davies. You'll be meeting the spirit in the fucking sky soon if you're not careful. I'll rip off your 'bit in the middle' and feed it to my pigs. Well, tonight no-one's making Bates look a fool. I'll show them at home who's the king of Radio 1. I'm gonna take it out on this little piss ant.

nec1974

Bates left Radio WonEffEm 25 years ago today. And it wasn't a moment too soon.

Uncle TechTip

Lovely stuff, non capisco.

There's now a shorter time between Bates starting and leaving R1 and leaving and now.

buzby

Oh Jeezzes...
Triple Keytars
This perfomance is brought to you by the Roland AXIS-1

(12) REAL ROXANNE WITH HITMAN HOWIE TEE – (Bang Zoom) Let's Go Go
Except Adelaida Martinez wasn't the Real Roxanne. Elease Jack recorded the vocals for Full Force's first answer track to U.T.F.O's 'Roxanne , Roxanne', hurriedly released to try and counter Roxanne Shante, Mr Magic and Marley Marl's unofficial answer track (created to get back at Full Force-produced U.T.F.O. for pulling out of a show they were promoting at the last minute), which then started the  Roxanne Wars.
(26) FURNITURE – Brilliant Mind
The lead singer Jim Irvin has got very Jarvis Cocker-esque mannerisms. Furniture were a one-hit wonder, with none of their previous or later releases making any chart impact. Their follow-up single Love Your Shoes got a lot of radio airplay, but their label Stiff was in financial trouble and couldn't afford to press enough singles to capitalise on it. Similarly, their album The Wrong People had a single pressing run of 30000 copies to satisfy pre-orders, and Stiff went under before another pressing could be made.

ZTT bought Stiff's assets, but didn't repress the album either. The band then went on hiatus while trying to resolve their contractual problems in the wake of Stiff's bankruptcy, touring obscure parts of the world and picking up influences. Three years later with their legal problems sorted, they signed to Arista and relesed the album Food, Sex & Paranoia in 1989. This had a heavy world music influence from all their touring, but did nothing commercially.

The band then split in 1990, with vocalist Jim Irvin and bassist Sally Still going on to become music journalists at Melody Maker under the pen names Jim Arundel and Sally Margaret Joy (potential future guests for Chart Music, Al?)and occasional songwriters, and multi-instrumentalist Tim Whelan and drummer Hamilton Lee going on to create Transglobal Underground.

17 July 1986: Presenter: Mike 'Big hole in my trousers' Smith

Inevitable DX7 and PPG Wave 2.3. Nile Rodgers on rhythm guitar, Chaka Khan on backing vocals (Steve had recently divorced his wife and regular backing vocalist Nicole Weir). A prime example  of 80s over-production, the track is sagging under the weight of synth layers, with those parping FM horns over the FM bass, PPG orchestra hits, two layers of drum machines plus real drums and congas.

(6) UB40 – Sing Our Own Song (video)
Blimey, Ali is rocking a Roland SH-101 in keytar mode (fitted with the optional strap and modulation grip)
(10) CHRIS DE BURGH – The Lady In Red
Singing 'Darnce' live. Chris De Bleurgh.
(31) COCK ROBIN – The Promise You Made
That bloody Big Country/Simple Minds Celtic guitar riff makes a comeback.
(30) ROBERT PALMER – I Didn't Mean To Turn You On
A cover version of Jam & Lewis track written and produced for Cherelle in 1984. Terence Donovan recycles the schtick from Addicted To Love (including a couple of the models - Patty Kelly and Kathy Davies) but undermines any ironic excuse of showing the music industry's view of women as sex objects by adding some dancers so he can do closeups of wiggling tits and arses.
(24) HOLLYWOOD BEYOND – What's The Colour Of Money?
A one hit wonder, but a decent one at least. It was produced by Stephen Hague and remixed by Chris Lord-Alge, whose over-use of compression to make tracks sound good on FM radio was one of the first shots in the Loudness Wars

Hollywood Beyond was a vehicle for ex-Pyramid vocalist Mark Rogers and was signed to WEA by Rod Dickens after he saw him performing on The Tube. The song was inspired by the redneck music from the soundtrack of Southern Comfort, which Rogers linked to the evils of Thatcherism. He was a bit too ahead fo his time with the Funky Dread thing, and none of his subsequent singles or the album (1987's If) made the Top 40 and he was dropped. He moved into A&R for dance labels, and discovered Mica Paris in 1987 and his face was the basis for Soul II Soul's original 'Funky Dread' t-shirt image.
(3) SLY FOX – Let's Go All The Way +
BANGER. Another one hit wonder, taken from the album of the same name that was released in the US the previous December, and the single had originally been released in 1985 in the US too with a plethora of mixes. It was the original Ted Currier/David Spradley production (under their alias Platinum Vibe) with the heavy sampled drums that eventually became a hit in Europe. It had been steadily climbing up the Top 100 for 7 weeks by this time.

Sly Fox were manufactured by Currier (an English producer who was an ex-WBLS New York radio DJ), featuring ex-Parliament-Funkadelic and Bootsy's Rubber Band vocalist Gary 'Mudbone' Cooper and vocalist Michael Camacho. The band were originally supposed to be a duo of Cooper and his former Funkadelic bandmate Garry Shider, but Shider pulled out of the project and Currier selected Camacho as his replacement after hearing his demo tape (he was a Sinatra/Bennet-style jazz crooner). Keyboard player/engineer David Spradley (who was another ex P-funk member) did all the musical heavy lifting and programming. The melody was 'inspired' by I Am The Walrus (and there were plenty of other Beatles references peppered through the lyrics).

Currier and Spradley reused the same beat for their production of the Boogie boys' A Fly Girl. There's a great Lee Adams DMC megamix that mixes both of them with added We Will Rock You for good measure

The duo lasted only for one album, before business divisions split them up (they had separate managers who wouldn't work with each other, and unknown to Camacho Cooper had taken the full writing credit, though apparently the P-Funk connections meant George Clinton was allegedly getting a share too)

Stan Ridgway interview [/color](video / credits)
Who's Bob Dylan?
Oh fuck off Smith, you insufferable twat.

Dr Rock

QuoteThink about it, there must be higher love
Down in the heart or hidden in the stars above
Without it, life is a wasted time
Look inside your heart, I'll look inside mine

Yeah Steve I looked inside my brain instead of my heart and realised that just because the lack of any 'higher love' means life is a wasted time does not imply that there is a higher love hidden in the stars above. On your bike.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 22, 2018, 11:47:59 PM
Yeah Steve I looked inside my brain instead of my heart and realised that just because the lack of any 'higher love' means life is a wasted time does not imply that there is a higher love hidden in the stars above. On your bike.
To let Stevie lad off the hook ever so slightly, I think the words were penned by his 80s collaborator Will Jennings, who would go on to commit further crimes against humanity by hoying up some old crap to go with the music for "My Heart Will Go On".

non capisco

Fuck me, it's so obvious 'Let's Go all The Way' is influenced by 'I Am The Walrus' once it's pointed out. Another glorious cornucopia of facts, buzby! Enlightening as always.

Top withering "who is this wanker?" looks from Stan Ridgway towards Mike Smith, there, and who on earth could have blamed him?

Quote from: non capisco on October 23, 2018, 09:05:45 AM
Top withering "who is this wanker?" looks from Stan Ridgway towards Mike Smith, there, and who on earth could have blamed him?

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but the version of Camouflage that we hear here is an early William Orbit remix.

'Papa Don't Preach' video is gorgeous, I must say, although the song grates a little. 'Italians Do It Better' T-shirt.

Haywoode's 'Roses' was a reissue: she performed it on the same Oxford Road Show edition in March 1985 where Morrissey's Manchester childhood video was shown.

I think this was The Smiths' 'Panic' era and we are close to an episode done on Chart Music, where Lady In Red was #1.

gilbertharding

I was considering, while watching this, the lack of C86 style indie pop represented on this era of TotP*. Obviously because no-one at the time liked it. Then I spotted the silhouette of

Triple Keytars

...and thought that Belinda Lipscomb's hairdo might be a tribute to William Reid. Perhaps not, eh?

*Crash by the Primitives must be among the biggest indie hits from this wave... two entire years later.

Dr Rock

I tried to find a contemporaneous Indie Chart as that might spark more memories, but came up with fuck all. Maybe someone else can find it.

buzby

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 23, 2018, 02:58:02 PM
I tried to find a contemporaneous Indie Chart as that might spark more memories, but came up with fuck all. Maybe someone else can find it.
The nearest one I can find is The Chart Show's Indie Top 10 from the 13th of June 1986:
1: The Smiths - Bigmouth Strikes Again
2: The Mission - Serpent's Kiss
3: The Soup Dragons - Whole Wide World
4: Weather Prophets - I Almost Prayed
5: We've Got A Fuzzbox And We're Gonna Use It! - Fuzzbox EP
6: Colourbox - Official World Cup Theme
7: Colourbox - Baby I Love You
8: The Mighty Lemon Drops - Like An Angel
9: The Woodentops - Good Thing
10: BMX Bandits - Sad?

There's 3 C86 bands in there. By the 12th of September chart The Bodines had also made an appearance, and in the 16th of May Top 10 HMHB's Trumpton Riots EP and Primal Scream's Crystal Cresent featured, and the Fuzzbox EP was at Number 1.

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 23, 2018, 02:11:42 PM
*Crash by the Primitives must be among the biggest indie hits from this wave... two entire years later.
Wasn't an indie record - they had signed their label Lazy Records over to RCA in 1987.

Dr Rock

Thanks Buzby, I thought you'd come up trumps. I think the only one out of that I bought was the Fuzzbox EP, which does help me remember what I was up to around that time. I'd happily found a whole new bunch of friends who were little alternative types. What with being deflowered, getting my super Daniel Ash haircut and discovering eyeliner, my year really swings around to the better at this time. Until I go too far and get kicked out of home that I wreck with a party by the end of the year.

gilbertharding

Quote from: buzby on October 23, 2018, 03:25:21 PM
Wasn't an indie record - they had signed their label Lazy Records over to RCA in 1987.

I meant 'indie' as in the style. Otherwise we'd have to count Kylie (or someone... Christ) as the biggest indie act of the decade.

gilbertharding

You can prove anything with facts...

You know what I mean though - I hardly really looked at that page in the NME, but in my minds eye it was - until Creation really started shifting units in the early 90s - wall to wall PWL and Depeche Mode.

Definitely Indie, but not 'indie'.

Anyone else remember an attempt to label music 'Mandie' - ie a cool sounding sub-label of a major - like Hut, or Food. Just me then.