Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:28:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Topic: Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Two.

Started by Dr Rock, August 26, 2018, 02:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Enjoyed the story of '88. iPlayer carried on with Big Hits 88, which was nice.

Jockice

Quote from: Norton Canes on June 08, 2019, 02:51:47 PM
Another great 'Story of...' doc for 1988 - Wayne Hussey and Wendy James particularly good value, Mark Moore of S'Express sounding just as exuberant now as he was then. Some nice rehearsal footage from one of the shows too.

I did like the way they went on about Transvision Vamp's songs being so original etc - while playing a cover version they did. And which the original of is much better.

Sebastian Cobb

I'm watching this story of 88 and am a bit annoyed they've waxed the first 10 minutes recycling the bros documentary.

Sebastian Cobb

There's a middle-aged woman that drinks in my local that looks like Wendy James out of Transvision Vamp, far more than present-day Wendy James does.

Spudgun

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 08, 2019, 11:08:03 PM
I'm watching this story of 88 and am a bit annoyed they've waxed the first 10 minutes recycling the bros documentary.

That reminds me, a new version of some editing software was released recently. For some reason, I just couldn't take their promo video seriously:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fmvUsBPJn8

Sebastian Cobb

One thing I will say, is that I don't think at any point during the bros documentary did we see hair bros had both arms covered in tatoos, yet bald bros had it right on show.

DrGreggles

Wendy James never used to speak like that, did she?
Not that the 13 year old me paid much attention to her voice...

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 08, 2019, 11:28:48 PM
There's a middle-aged woman that drinks in my local that looks like Wendy James out of Transvision Vamp

Kirsty Macoll considers rewrite.

canadagoose

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on June 09, 2019, 06:47:36 AM
Kirsty Macoll considers rewrite.
Yay, you're back!

Quite enjoyed the two 1988 specials but was disappointed in the lack of Erasure in the Big Hits '88 show. Were they just doing number 1s or something? Surely not.

buzby

Quote from: canadagoose on June 10, 2019, 08:51:00 PM
Quite enjoyed the two 1988 specials but was disappointed in the lack of Erasure in the Big Hits '88 show. Were they just doing number 1s or something? Surely not.
The  'Big Hits' episodes are mostly no. 1s and/or appearances that will get lost due to Yewtree or Smith. All the Erasure appearances in 1988 re in the clear on that score, so they will come up in turn.

daf

Quote from: buzby on June 10, 2019, 09:30:47 PM
The  'Big Hits' episodes are mostly no. 1s and/or appearances that will get lost due to Yewtree or Smith.

Despite the hope that they would actually do this, I don't think the BBC had this policy - eg. only one was included for 1987 (Eric B & Rakim) and nothing at all for 1986.

daf

7 January 1988: Presenters: Simon Bates & Mike Read

(20) SINITTA – GTO
Meccanic Dancing
(17) JELLYBEAN – Jingo (video)
Bongo-o-o-o-o . . . Bongo Whack!
(32) DEPECHE MODE – Behind The Wheel
The Men in Black
(19) THE STRANGLERS – All Day & All Of The Night
Kinky!
- - - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(35) GEORGE MICHAEL – Father Figure
(34) GOSH – The Wishing Well
(29) TERENCE TRENT D'ARBY – Sign Your Name
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51106326@N00/sets/72157676862763602

(1) PET SHOP BOYS – Always On My Mind
Boys! Boys! Boys!
(21) JOYCE SIMS – Come Into My Life (video / credits)
"The Window Cleaner Sketch"

Norton Canes

Quote from: daf on June 14, 2019, 09:27:27 PM

I think you're supposed to drop the mic after you've done the song, Dave

Johnboy

In 1988 I taped the Stranglers, should have taped Depeche Mode - a banger.

daf

Here you go -
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/f8f224b7db06abd87da3694c0bde022020190615104911/3dd0f5

it's missing a few songs, (as documented below), but all the 2-Tone stuff is in there  :

Quote from: daf on November 13, 2014, 04:42:02 PM
8 November 1979 : Presenter: Jimmy Savile O.B.E.

(21)    KOOL & THE GANG – Ladies Night (and charts)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(44)    MATCHBOX – Rockabilly Rebel
And we join the 'Legendary Two-Tone Edition' already in progress . . .
(29)    IRIS WILLIAMS – He Was Beautiful (Cavatina) (The Theme From 'The Deer Hunter')
Deep throat.
(2)    DR. HOOK – When You're In Love With A Beautiful Woman (video)
Almost there, here we go . . .
(51)    MADNESS – One Step Beyond
Let the Fezzing madness begin!

(10)    THE COMMODORES – Still (video)
A cool-off.
(19)    THE SPECIALS feat. RICO – A Message To You Rudy
Even Jim's got Fez Fever!
(3)    ABBA – Gimme Gimme Gimme (A Man After Midnight) (video)
Awkward link - you poor, poor sods.
(50)    DAN-I – Monkey Chop
Two takes edited together - keep an eye on those bananas.
(26)    HERB ALPERT – Rise (danced to by It's all Greek to me & Co)
Columnated ruins domino.
(5)    QUEEN – Crazy Little Thing Called Love (video)
Interview corner - and once again, a MASSIVE success!
(53)    SHAM 69 – You're A Better Man Than I
Band on the verge of implosion by the looks of it.
(9)    THE SELECTER – On My Radio
And . . . Bounce! Bounce! Bounce!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(1)    LENA MARTELL – One Day At A Time
(27)    DONNA SUMMER & BARBRA STREISAND – No More Tears (Enough Is Enough) (and credits)

Thanks.

Odd that Madonna is on the Smash Hits cover because she took a year off in 1988. Her last week in the Top 10 prior to Like A Prayer was The Look Of Love 19.12.87, I believe. Last TOTP 17.12.87. She needed that year off.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on June 15, 2019, 01:55:01 PM
Thanks.

Odd that Madonna is on the Smash Hits cover because she took a year off in 1988. Her last week in the Top 10 prior to Like A Prayer was The Look Of Love 19.12.87, I believe. Last TOTP 17.12.87. She needed that year off.

Did she release a shit film that year?

Or 'a film' as she'd probably call it.

gib

Wasn't there an episode with Madness, The Specials, The Selecter and The Beat?

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 15, 2019, 02:40:46 PM
Did she release a shit film that year?

Or 'a film' as she'd probably call it.

The shit films were in 1986 and 1987.

Quote from: gib on June 15, 2019, 04:10:03 PM
Wasn't there an episode with Madness, The Specials, The Selecter and The Beat?

I think there was:

Specials+Madness+Selecter (above)
Specials+Beat (Dec 1980, covered by Chart Music; the bass players swapped places - this is Horace Panter in The Beat one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDvxyC3HCps)

daf

Not with all four bands, but a few with various configurations of twos & threes (& couple featuring Bad Manners)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
25 Oct 1979 : Presenter: Peter Powell
(26)    THE SELECTER – On My Radio (and charts)
(41)    THE SPECIALS feat. RICO – A Message To You Rudy

3 Jan 1980 : Presenter: Peter Powell
(54)    MADNESS – My Girl
(17)    THE BEAT – Tears Of A Clown

31 Jan 1980 : Presenter: David Jensen
(29)  THE SELECTER – Three Minute Hero (and charts)
(3)    MADNESS – My Girl
(1)    THE SPECIALS – Too Much Too Young (video)

7 Feb 1980 : Presenter: Steve Wright
(21)  THE SELECTER – Three Minute Hero
(1)    THE SPECIALS – Too Much Too Young (video)

3 April 1980 : Presenter: David Jensen
(14)    MADNESS – Night Boat To Cairo
(34)    THE SELECTER – Missing Words

28 Aug 1980 : Presenters: Peter Powell & B.A. Robertson
(44)    THE SELECTER – The Whisper
(30)    THE BEAT – Best Friend (crowd dancing and credits)

8 November 1979 : Presenter: Jimmy Savile
(51)    MADNESS – One Step Beyond
(19)    THE SPECIALS feat. RICO – A Message To You Rudy
(9)      THE SELECTER – On My Radio

18 Dec 1980 : Presenter: Simon Bates
(31)  THE BEAT – Too Nice To Talk To
(34)  THE SPECIALS – Do Nothing
(6)    MADNESS – Embarrassment

8 Jan 1981 : Presenter : Richard Skinner
(20)   THE BEAT – Too Nice To Talk To
(15)   THE SPECIALS – Do Nothing
(33)   BAD MANNERS – Lorraine

16 April 1981 : Presenter : Peter Powell
(15)   BAD MANNERS – Just A Feeling
(53)   THE BEAT – Drowning

30 April 1981 : Presenter : Jimmy Savile
(5)     MADNESS – Grey Day (video)
(22)   THE BEAT – All Out To Get You

The Culture Bunker

One of the episodes with 'Too Nice to Talk To' and 'Do Nothing' had Panter and the Beat's Dave Steele swap bands for the night, for some reason. It's certainly mentioned in Sir Horace's book.

Yes (18.12.80); it was to send up the show, an in-joke for the fans. There's a discussion on the Chart Music episode covering that date.

https://chartmusiccouk.wordpress.com/2018/12/18/34-december-18th-1980-you-can-hear-them-shagging-in-japanese/

buzby

Quote from: daf on June 14, 2019, 09:27:27 PM
7 January 1988: Presenters: Simon Bates & Mike Read
What are this pair of fossils doing presenting in 1988 for christ's sake?
(20) SINITTA – GTO
S/a/W are already reduced to writing songs about things they can see from their office window, in this case Waterman's (fake) Ferrari 250 GTO in the car park (it was a Datsun 240Z fitted with a fibreglass replica body and was featured in the video, and the video for Roadblock with Mike Stock sitting in it - Pete wasn't rich enough yet to afford a real Ferrari 250 GTO).

The in the sogn itself they reuse the synth brass riff from Spagna's Call yet again. Pete Hammond's 12" version was subtitled Modina's Red Roaring Mix, where they somehow managed to spell the name of Ferrari's factory wrong.
(17) JELLYBEAN – Jingo (video)
Another single off Benitez's Just Visiting This Planet album, and this time a cover version of Babatunde Olatunji's 1959 afrobeat classic Jin-Go-Lo-Ba (Drums of Passion). The video is a bit of a Quantel fest - the director is unknown, but it looks very like Zbig Rybszynski's style (his most recent one to this was for that awful Mick Jagger single).
My second favourite song off MFTM after Never Let Me Down Again. Fletcher is doing his usual random prodding of the keys, Wilder is actually playing the right notes for the song. A pair of Emaxes is period correct for this era of DM too. Gore looks a right plum as usual, though at least he's not wearing S&M gear this time.
(19) THE STRANGLERS – All Day & All Of The Night
Released to promote their All Live And All Of The Night live compilation album. However, they actually did a proper studio recording of the track rather than use any of the live versions available for the album. It seems odd to see The Stranglers using a Steinberger bass and a PPG Wave 2.3. The black Strat Cornwell is using is actually a hire one from Octave hire (it's got their label on the back of the headstock).
(29) TERENCE TRENT D'ARBY – Sign Your Name
I've always wondered if Martyn Ware was influenced by Black's Wonderful Life in his arrangement for this track - take the vocals away and they have a very similar feel musically. According to D'Arby,it was written as a result of a dream he had where Sade asked him tp write a song for her.

Like all of D'Arby's videos to this point, the promo was directed by Vaughan Arnell. The name of the Irish bar (The Incredible E.G. O'Reilley's) was a pseudonym used by D'Arby when producing his B-sides, and just before the release of his second album he released a single under that pseudonym  He rides a lovely 1946-vintage Indian Chief in the video, and the location for his house was in UpCerne Rd, Chelsea, facing Lots Rd Power Station (closed in 2002, now a shopping centre and apartments)
(1) PET SHOP BOYS – Always On My Mind
The Fairlight Series III (featuring their Page R attract screen) and the vintage Emulator II return. Neil adds a bit of arm-folding to enhance his performance.
(21) JOYCE SIMS – Come Into My Life (video / credits)
An absolute banger. The third single off her debut album (which shares the name of this track) , it was written by Sims and produced by Kurtis Mantronik. Sims' vocal in this is amazing - that middle 8 in particular where she goes into soprano range without any of the vibrato or melodrama that is the fashion these days is ace. This would be her biggest UK hit, and it's not hard to see why.

Sebastian Cobb

Alright, where do I get a jumper like the one Chris Lowe is wearing?

Sebastian Cobb

Also, say what you want about TOTP's miming, I'm watching an episode of Soul Train, which has a performance that clearly has the music§ played off a record, as you can hear clicks and pops.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Johnboy on June 15, 2019, 12:11:36 AM
In 1988 I taped the Stranglers, should have taped Depeche Mode - a banger

Innit!

Quote from: buzby on June 15, 2019, 08:44:02 PM
Gore looks a right plum as usual, though at least he's not wearing S&M gear this time

Is that a band t-shirt he had on? Couldn't quite make it out.

As with Strangelove it's a significantly beefed-up single mix compared to the version on MFTM, and features the most obvious use of guitar on a Depeche mode release up to that point*. Those averse to stringed instruments should enjoy the 12" extended version by Shep Pettibone (it's 1988 - who else) which really shows off the squelchy acid stabs, though it does leave out the fantastic 'spinning hub cap' intro. Just noticed that there's some slightly strange editing at the end of that 7" version (I only really ever listen to the 12" and album cuts) where Dave's vocals overlap, presumably done in order to accommodate the fade.

The b-side was a rare DM cover, their take on Route 66. Weirdly it uses a lot of the elements from Behind The Wheel. Studio time must have been tight.

If you ever wanted to encapsulate what Depeche Mode songs were about I don't think you could do much better than pick this verse...

Sweet little girl, I prefer
You behind the wheel and me the passenger
Drive, I'm yours to keep
Do what you want, I'm going cheap... tonight

The single peaked at no.21 in the UK, capping a disappointing performance for the MFTM releases [edit: not counting the limited release of Little 15] - though the band wouldn't have been too concerned as it was the album which really broke them in America. Unfortunately for TOTP it was the last time the band would perform in the studio until Barrel Of A Gun in 1997, missing out all the Violator and Songs Of Faith And Devotion singles.

* Obsessive note: the singles from Music For the Masses use progressively more conspicuous guitar:

Strangelove
Never Let Me Down Again
Behind The Wheel

The singles from Violator use progressively less conspicuous guitar:

Personal Jesus
Enjoy The Silence
Policy Of Truth
World In my Eyes

batwings

Quote from: Johnboy on June 15, 2019, 12:11:36 AM
In 1988 I taped the Stranglers, should have taped Depeche Mode - a banger.

It's great but I much prefer the album version over the Shep Pettibone remix they put out as the single.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04ZIj4r6jx8

If they had to release a shortened version of the song, I wish they had used the version they used as playback on the ITV show, the Roxy (DJ Bong 15, mixed by Daniel Miller):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUGUbjEmPlY

To my ears, this  mix of the track has got more much life to its arrangement compared to the quite dull bass-heavy Pettibone version.