Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:18:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Topic: Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Two.

Started by Dr Rock, August 26, 2018, 02:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Quote from: daf on July 15, 2019, 07:27:21 PM
(27) AFRIKA BAMBAATAA & UB40 – Reckless

Why, Afrika Bambaataa?
WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?

non capisco

Joe Le Taxi is a bit ONE 4 THE PAEDS innit? Plus the saxophone miming blokes dressed as private eyes having to do that naff as fuck 'trot to the right then knee bend' dance must have felt like berks. Virer mon agent!

non capisco

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 15, 2019, 07:54:00 PM
Why, Afrika Bambaataa?
WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?

Think he's possibly heard those two sentences a lot lately.

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on July 15, 2019, 07:46:56 PM
Undressed by Prince, the dirty bollocks.

Always had a soft spot for the more upbeat remix by Ben Liebrand

https://youtu.be/avc62Ceccwc

Would BBC4 have omitted the Bambaataa video given his nonce history? He's apparently only avoided arrest due to the statute of limitations.

Regarding the UB40 collaboration, did he mistakenly believe that they were still in their 1980 cool period?

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on July 16, 2019, 03:35:36 PM
Regarding the UB40 collaboration, did he mistakenly believe that they were still in their 1980 cool period?

I don't think he was particularly talented as a producer or a rapper, if he was doing it now he'd be DJ Khaled (without the hits)

Sebastian Cobb

Would BBC4 have omitted the Bambaataa video given his nonce history? He's apparently only avoided arrest due to the statute of limitations.

I guess given they won't even bother investigating further than that, it puts you in a weird limbo that's worse than being found not guilty.

daf

Would BBC4 have omitted the Bambaataa video given his nonce history?

Too obscure maybe? Unless the tabloids are going to kick up a stink, they'd probably not bother.

I think it's just Gary Glitter and Jonathan King that have been edited out the show so far (though both were actually shown in some of the early repeats). Rolf will now also be on the banned list if he turns up again.

Oddly, Michael Jackson seems to have escaped - he was played on the show after the latest bombshells. Too big to erase maybe?

Other snips :
'Blockbuster' by The Sweet (for the Swastika Armband) when they showed the Christmas 1973 show
'Summer Nights' & 'You're the One That I Want' replaced with Legs & Co dance routines
(BBC would have had to pay around £4000 a pop - as they didn't have the film rights at that point)
'Bright Eyes' edited down to under a minute
(possibly found a new loophole by this point - allowing them to show the film clip without having to pay as much?)

It's possible they have just gone for those found guilty by a court. Does DLT make any anniversary guest appearances before he fucks off in 1993?

The other issue is acceptability of video content in a 2019 context, which just seems to be random as to what the BBC4 editor thinks might cause a stir rather than based on firm guidelines.

Norton Canes

Seems to be based mostly on whether they think anyone will kick up a fuss.

poodlefaker

I really like Vanessa Paradis' version of I'm Waiting for the Man. Shouldn't work, but it does.

buzby

Quote from: non capisco on July 15, 2019, 08:14:56 PM
Joe Le Taxi is a bit ONE 4 THE PAEDS innit?
Definitely.
Quote from: buzby on July 12, 2019, 10:19:49 PM
Hmm, the particularly French kink for 'Lolita Pop' leaves a bit of a bad taste in the mouth for me. She  was 15 at this point - ok, it's no Mini Pops, but it still seems a bit iffy

Quote from: daf on July 12, 2019, 09:54:29 PM
3 March 1988: Presenters: Gary Davies & Simon Mayo

(13) THE SISTERS OF MERCY – Dominion
An Emulator II, two Mk1 DX7s (with conspicuous gaffa tape over the logos - maybe Yamaha turned Spiggy down for a freebie once?) and a Roland D50. Disappointingly, there is no sign of Doktor Avalanche (who by this time consisted of a Yamaha RX5 supplemented with an Akai S950 sampler). Patricia has been told to 'just stand there and look moody, love' (there are conflicting reports over whether the bass she played for this track ever made it into the final mix). They are both wearing their outfits from the video though (minus Eldritch's sword cane).

The track is the magnum opus of the Floodland album, especially in full-length form where it segues into Mother Russia. The version used for this performance is actually the 12" 'edit', which is a alternative mix to both the album and 7" single mixes with a different bass drum pattern and additional crashes after each 'Dominion!' in the choruses. It was famously co-produced by Spiggy, Jim Steinman and Larry Alexander in New York at great expense and bears all the hallmarks of Steinman's overblown production (including a lengthy sax solo on what is supposedly a Goth record).

Elements of the sax and synth pads were sampled and used to construct the short instrumental Sandstorm, released on the 12" single as an untitled track and an excerpt of which was used as the intro to the video.
(19) DEREK B – Goodgroove
This is massively disappointing that he's not performing live, especially as the preceding rappers who had appeared on the show had. Not the best advert for UK rap.
(16) MEL & KIM – That's The Way It Is (video / credits)
Mel had discharged herself from hospital where she was undergoing cancer treatment to record the vocals for this track, and hence them not appearing in the video.

Quote from: daf on July 15, 2019, 07:27:21 PM
10 March 1988: Presenters: Mike Smith & Steve Wright

(23) JOHNNY HATES JAZZ – Heart Of Gold
A Beatle bass, an E-Mu Emax and a cravat.
(27) AFRIKA BAMBAATAA & UB40 – Reckless
Absolute toilet.
(17) TAJA SEVELLE – Love Is Contagious
I hate this record. Ms. Sevelle has that really annoying child-like helium timbre to her voice.

I never knew who this person was, as referenced in Harry Enfield's Loadsamoney, from later in the year.

"Derek B???  On Your Bike!!"

Now I know - thanks.

daf

17 March 1988: Presenters: Gary Davies & Mike Read

(17) BROS – Drop The Boy
ROOOOARRRRGH!!
(12) HEART – These Dreams (video)
That Hair!
(6) ERASURE – Ship Of Fools
Nautical But Nice
- - - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(30) SINITTA – Cross My Broken Heart
(29) SIMON HARRIS – Bass (How Low Can You Go)
(31) KEITH SWEAT – I Want Her
(27) DAVID LEE ROTH – Just Like Paradise
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(20) EIGHTH WONDER – I'm Not Scared
The Hanging Gardens of Basildon

(4) ASWAD – Don't Turn Around
Reggae Like it Used to B-side
(1) KYLIE MINOGUE – I Should Be So Lucky (video)
What a Crock!
(13) ERIC B & RAKIM – I Know You Got Soul (video / credits)
Oi, Derek B - this bloke is mugging you off!

Norton Canes

Is it just me, or... is this not very good? It sounds like a improvised rap off of Whose Line Is It Anyway, it's got that horrible lightweight bomp-a-dom, bom bomp-a-domp-dom rhythm and the lyrics are - well, there's a verse where he's speeding and he's stopped by the police and you'll never guess what, they actually ask for his autograph ha ha! That must be the must cliched thing to ever happen in a rap record no?

I'm not familiar with the oeuvre of Mr B, I'm sure he's a highly respected rap artist and I guess some of his other stuff must be better.

Norton Canes

Quote from: daf on July 18, 2019, 09:22:20 PM
(29) SIMON HARRIS – Bass (How Low Can You Go)

Did grimly laugh at Read's 'Bates' joke

The Culture Bunker

'Ship of Fools' may be my favourite Erasure song. And my favourite John Cale song. And my favourite World Party song.

buzby

Quote from: Norton Canes on July 19, 2019, 09:55:38 AM
Is it just me, or... is this not very good? It sounds like a improvised rap off of Whose Line Is It Anyway, it's got that horrible lightweight bomp-a-dom, bom bomp-a-domp-dom rhythm and the lyrics are - well, there's a verse where he's speeding and he's stopped by the police and you'll never guess what, they actually ask for his autograph ha ha! That must be the must cliched thing to ever happen in a rap record no?

I'm not familiar with the oeuvre of Mr B, I'm sure he's a highly respected rap artist and I guess some of his other stuff must be better.

It's very Fresh Prince Of Bel Air, and the 'stopped by the police' part is ripped directly off Police Officer by Smiley Culture. He wasn't really a rapper, he was a DJ and A&R man for Simon Harris' Music Of Life label. They were putting out a compilation of US hip hop tracks and came up one short, so he and Harris recorded a track for it called Rock The Beat under the pseudonym EZQ. After that got him attention, he started rapping under his DJ name.

Of course, he's best known as the co-writer and producer of The Anfield Rap (along with Mary Byker from Gaye Bikers On Acid).

boki

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on July 19, 2019, 10:17:29 AM
'Ship of Fools' may be my favourite Erasure song. And my favourite John Cale song. And my favourite World Party song.
What's your favourite Robert Plant song?

Norton Canes

Quote from: buzby on July 19, 2019, 11:01:07 AM
It's very Fresh Prince Of Bel Air, and the 'stopped by the police' part is ripped directly off Police Officer by Smiley Culture. He wasn't really a rapper, he was a DJ and A&R man for Simon Harris' Music Of Life label. They were putting out a compilation of US hip hop tracks and came up one short, so he and Harris recorded a track for it called Rock The Beat under the pseudonym EZQ. After that got him attention, he started rapping under his DJ name.

Of course, he's best known as the co-writer and producer of The Anfield Rap (along with Mary Byker from Gaye Bikers On Acid)

Ah, right. Sounds like he is actually a bit of a lightweight then.

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on July 19, 2019, 10:17:29 AM
'Ship of Fools' may be my favourite Erasure song. And my favourite John Cale song. And my favourite World Party song

Corker innit. Stephen Hague's production makes it sounds a little less overtly synth-pop and a bit more mainstream than the stuff from The Circus, but it's gorgeously lush. Perhaps not an obvious lead-out single for The Innocents (would A Little Respect have improved on its no.4 UK chart placing if it had been first out the trap?) but it didn't stop the album being the band's biggest seller. 

Derek B was well known as a DJ on London pirates such as Kiss etc, he was quite respected amongst the UK hip hop heads initially. His sound dated quickly however as UK hip hop went into a harder phase (Gunshot/Hardnoise/Hijack etc), he was signed to Rush Town Management in the US by Russell Simmons (Def Jam) which was THE most well known agency at the time.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: boki on July 19, 2019, 11:23:28 AM
What's your favourite Robert Plant song?
If I find one I can stand, I'll let you know.

kalowski

Quote from: daf on July 18, 2019, 09:22:20 PM
(27) DAVID LEE ROTH – Just Like Paradise
OK, I'll embarrass myself: I like this song.

Dr Rock

daf

24 March 1988: Presenters: Simon Bates & Peter Powell

(14) SINITTA – Cross My Broken Heart
Legs & Corrr!!
(18) A-HA – Stay On These Roads
Digital Wind
(16) SIMON HARRIS – Bass (How Low Can You Go)
Not very, by the sound of it
(25) WET WET WET – Temptation
(22) DEBBIE GIBSON – Only In My Dreams
(26) CLIMIE FISHER – Love Changes (Everything)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51106326@N00/sets/72157677096823871/

(4) IRON MAIDEN – Can I Play With Madness? (video)
Four Yorkshiremen of the Apocaplypse
(5) TIFFANY – Could've Been (video)
I Think We're in London Now
(1) ASWAD – Don't Turn Around
Or You'll see Pete Smiling
(15) WHITNEY HOUSTON – Where Do Broken Hearts Go? (video / credits)
Where did that can of Coke go?

the hum

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 12, 2019, 08:25:26 PM
Yeah I remember you posting the publison stuff before and I tried to Google about it, but it sounds like a quite bespoke piece of kit. A harmonizer/auto tune precursor seems like only a small amount of its 'effects processing' capabilities.

I had no idea pitch correction was around this early, bespoke or otherwise. Presumably it wasn't software based?

buzby

Quote from: the hum on July 21, 2019, 06:42:43 PM
I had no idea pitch correction was around this early, bespoke or otherwise. Presumably it wasn't software based?
Pitch correction had been around since the mid-Seventies, with the introduction of the Eventide H910 Harmonizer (which Tony Visconti used to great effect on Bowie's 'Berlin' period albums, and he described it's capabilities as 'fucking with the fabric of time'). Eventide refined the Harmonizer throughout the 70s and 80s, but by 1987 a small and obscure French effects unit manufacturer called Publison developed the Infernal Machine 90, which marked a step-change in pitch correction capability (and it could be controlled by a MIDI keyboard). It also featured a host of other on-bard digital effects and could also be used as a 16-bit sampler . It was discussed earlier in the thread after it's brief appearance in 'The Story Of 1987' that ran before the 87 episodes were repeated. See my first post mentioning it here, and follow the subsequent replies.

Like the Harmonizer, the IM90 was hardware-based (and Publison ground all the chip markings off to try and stop anybody reverse engineering it). Despite being very good at what it did, it was an expensive piece of kit, and as most professional studios had already invested in Eventide's equipment, it was never that popular and remained rare and obscure (there are no demos of it in action on Youtube, though there are a few demonstrating the capabilities of it's immediate predecessor the DHM89.

It arrived just at the right time for PWL as they were looking for a sampler to replace their 8-bit Emulator IIs (in The Story Of 1987 is was described as a sampler), but it's pitch correction capabilities became key in their plans to knock out tracks by untrained or inexperienced singers as quickly as possible in an 'assembly line'-like manner.

daf

31 March 1988: Presenters: Nicky Campbell & Mike Smith

(10) EIGHTH WONDER – I'm Not Scared
Great Pyramid of Geezer
(11) CLIMIE FISHER – Love Changes (Everything)
Oi, Dire Straits - they've nicked your guitar!
(13) DEBBIE GIBSON – Only In My Dreams (video)
Brain - - -> ( ? ) - - -> World
(28) JELLYBEAN featuring ADELE BERTEI – Just A Mirage
(29) FLEETWOOD MAC – Everywhere
(24) GLEN GOLDSMITH – Dreaming
(25) TAYLOR DAYNE – Prove Your Love
(22) STATUS QUO – Ain't Complaining (video)
D.W. Griff-Rhys
(17) WET WET WET – Temptation
Clydebankers
. . . or You'll See Mike Smith Leaving

(7) PET SHOP BOYS – Heart (video / credits)
Transylvania . . . Douze Pwah

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/0a7568cf33b4107ea93d1722f0c229ce20190719183900/35f93a

Norton Canes

And with that we can finally bid a fond fuck off to Mike Smith.

Quote from: daf on July 22, 2019, 12:06:52 PM
. . . or You'll See Mike Smith Leaving

Edit: Sorry, missed that.

daf

Yes, thank god that's all over - Bloody nuisance!