Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:02:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Topic: Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Two.

Started by Dr Rock, August 26, 2018, 02:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Love how the PSB's are using the same page r screen on the Fairlight. Bet they're glad they never deleted it.

non capisco

I liked the video about Neil getting cucked by a Dracula. Bad luck mate, on your wedding day and all.

Bates talking utter bizarro-world 'up is down, black is white' drivel as per usual. "Hazell Dean, she always has a summer hit." It's April, Simon. She also hasn't had a hit before this one since 1984.

"Jermaine Stewart, great haircut." See what I mean?

Sebastian Cobb

I'm sure Buzby will have something to say about Steve Wright in suspenders, and a red tie, but he's far too polite to say I reckon he looks like an utter bellend.

non capisco

Has anyone seen Bruno Brookes and Rod from Rod, Jane and Freddy in the same room?

non capisco

Anyways, despite ever thinner gruel year on year since at least '83 I'm still doggedly sticking with these every week and finding stuff I don't remember and quite like. 'Girlfriend' by Pebbles is pretty decent, I'm saying. And there was something infectiously happy about Mark Moore seizing his moment and stomping back and forth across the stage with his keytar during the S-Express performance. 'Drop The Boy' by Bros absolutely stinks, though. MMNNNNGGGGGGWOOOOOH-OH yourself, you throbber.

buzby

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 03, 2019, 05:48:33 PM
I'm sure Buzby will have something to say about Steve Wright in suspenders, and a red tie, but he's far too polite to say I reckon he looks like an utter bellend.
Been busy so not seen this weeks episodes yes, but is Wright doing his Gordon Gekko impression again?
Quote from: buzby on July 07, 2019, 04:22:11 PM
Quote from: daf on July 05, 2019, 12:45:48 PM
21 January 1988: Presenters: Gary Davies & Steve Wright
Davies has come as The Prat In The Hat, and Wright has suddenly transformed into a Yuppie, red braces and all

non capisco

He's rocked that look for his last few appearances. To be honest, it's the Wright look I remember from publicity photos in my childhood. I was young and impressionable enough to find Llama Man and Mr. Spoons an intriguing window into humour that I didn't quite understand. Turns out it was shit, but still. It was either him or Caesar The Boogieman on Invicta.

daf

28 April 1988: Presenters: Nicky Campbell & Gary Davies

(15) PAT & MICK – Let's All Chant
The Mick Man & Hair
(14) JAMES BROWN – The Payback Mix (video)
Soul on 45
(12) FAIRGROUND ATTRACTION – Perfect
Pop : Larkin' Around
- - - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(23) BRENDA RUSSELL – Piano In The Dark
(26) PRIMITIVES – Out Of Reach
(28) LUTHER VANDROSS – I Gave It Up (When I Fell In Love)
(29) JOYCE SIMS – Walk Away
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51106326@N00/albums/72157674973168604

(5) BANANARAMA – I Want You Back
Banana Split
(16) WILL DOWNING – A Love Supreme
A Mic Wobb-leeng
(1) S-EXPRESS – Theme From S-Express
Some Delays due to Lawyers on the Line
(-) SCOTT FITZGERALD – Go (+ credits)
Sub-Logan Muck

kalowski

I love JB, but that fucking Payback Mix is utterly pointless. And bad. (Not super bad).

Sebastian Cobb

Offt, this Joyce Sims thing is not a good example of live singing.

Sebastian Cobb

Not sure what's worse, Pump Up the Bitter or Bruno Brookes' northern impersonation.

daf

5 May 1988: Presenters: Bruno Brookes & Adrian John (Emergency Supply DJ Special!!)

(24) JOYCE SIMS – Walk Away
Five Live Acts  . . . and two dead ones?
(10) NEW ORDER – Blue Monday '88 (video)
Brown Thursday
(29) MAGNUM – Start Talking Love
Old Wave of British Hairy Metal
(17) HARRY ENFIELD – Loadsamoney (Doin' Up The House)
(30) THE ADVENTURES – Broken Land
(22) NARADA – Divine Emotions
(18) PRINCE – Alphabet Street
(26) THE CHRISTIANS – Born Again
Naked, Screaming & covered in Snot
(25) PRIMITIVES – Out Of Reach
Bombshell & The Blokes

Bring back the Penny Collar!
(15) STAR TURN ON 45 PINTS – Pump Up The Bitter (video / credits)
Spoontappers & Punters

buzby

Quote from: daf on August 03, 2019, 12:29:50 PM
21 April 1988: Presenters: Simon Bates & Peter Powell
Fucking slow handclap from dickhead Bates at the start. Powell seems to have just arrived from Lords.
(3) S-EXPRESS – Theme From S-Express
Absolute banger even now. Yes, it's sample-based, but it's all pretty fresh sources (though after this they will also get sampled to death, much as what happened after Paid In Full and Pump Up The Volume). In the studio, Moore is rocking a Yamaha KX5, but the  real interest is the Roland VP330 Vocoder/String Synth and a Linda Love has a fucking OSC OSCar!
(14) GEORGE MICHAEL – One More Try (video)
Girlfriend?!
My thoughts exactly after that comment, daf
(6) HAZELL DEAN – Who's Leaving Who
A Hi-NRG track that's been updated with S/A/W's current arrangement and production. Needless to say ,it means it sounds just like any other current S/A/W track they were churning out.

Quote from: daf on August 09, 2019, 03:09:43 PM
28 April 1988: Presenters: Nicky Campbell & Gary Davies
Campbell seems to have been told to drop the 'wacky', act, thankfully. He has jumped on the wannabe yuppie bandwagon with Wright. That tie is fucking horrible, though.
(15) PAT & MICK – Let's All Chant
I'd rather have my bollocks waxed for charity than buy this steaming turd. Fucking S/A/W again, with the already far too ubiquitous 'Mixmaster' Pete Hammond at the controls.
(14) JAMES BROWN – The Payback Mix (video)
Or the Playback Mix, according to the titles (they had titled it correctly on the Breakers the previous week).
Released on Polydor's dance sublabel Urban to coincide with Brown being invited to accept an 'legend' award at the DMC World Mixing Championships. Coldcut were commissioned to produce it (the promo was titled 'Coldcut Meets The Godfather', but this was changed for the official release and Colccut's name was removed (I wonder if they were embarrassed by it?). An early Norman Cook remix was also commissioned (Payback(The final Mixdown)), but was only included on the US 12" release. Like the Coldcut boys, Cook couldn't scratch ,so he got Westwood's DJ Streets Ahead in to do the turntablism on his mix.

Neither mix is anything to write home about really (though I prefer the Cook/Streets Ahead mix).  Rewatching these TOTPs proves that the was an awful lot of chaff around in the wake of MARRS, Paid In Full and Beat Dis.
(12) FAIRGROUND ATTRACTION – Perfect
Two bands? Three surely? Reader and Nevin were ex-Academy Of Fine Popular Music (whose deserved to languish in obscurity with a name like that), Roy Dodds was ex-working week, and Simon Edwards was ex-Red Box.
(5) BANANARAMA – I Want You Back
It's just Love In The Third Degree again, isn't It? Same sounds, same production. I daresay more effort went into the choreography than the song itself.
Get In! shame it's a repeat of last weeks studio performance - not available to appear when you get to Number One, Mark?
(-) SCOTT FITZGERALD – Go (+ credits)
Dreadful, proper straining-on-the-bog emoting going on from this seventies one-hit wonder. Amazingly this came second to Celine Dion in the fianl, but the UK record buying public had better taste as it stalled at #52 in the charts.

Quote(15) STAR TURN ON 45 PINTS – Pump Up The Bitter (video / credits)
Spoontappers & Punters

the actual state of this

oh, and a pretty ropey joke at 1:05 and following

non capisco

The Culture Bunker

Pointless personal trivia ahoy: 'Born Again' by the Christians irritated my greatly in my youth, as it was used as background music on a "Liverpool - Team of the Eighties" VHS that a cousin of mine always insisted on watching when he looked after us on Saturday nights my parents were out on the pop.

Johnboy

Quote from: non capisco on August 11, 2019, 09:11:03 PM
Hoo boy I am bored with these now.

Yep, I've bailed out just as I did 31 years ago. I'm watching them through this medium - much faster.

Sebastian Cobb

This weeks is especially terrible, Harry Enfield doing Loadsamoney, Anfield Rap in the Breakers, Pump Up the Bitter in the Studio, then Wet Wet Wet doing With a Little Help from my Friends, Fairground Attraction being the least bad thing I guess. Pedestrian Kylie on the playout, even she can't be arsed. Absolute bollocks all round really.

Johnboy

yeah, I really wanted to stick with it but I'd much rather watch a bunch of 77/78/79 I downloaded way back in 2012/3/4

Loadsamoney is almost as desperate as Pump up the Bitter

Bobby Treetops

Only Prince provided some light relief from that pretty abhorrent episode. Much like everyone else here my weekly fix of old Top Of The Pops episodes is becoming a bit of a chore, and if I remember rightly '89 brings more SAW shite and the abomination of Jive Bunny.

daf

12 May 1988: Presenters: Simon Mayo & Mike Read

(4) HARRY ENFIELD – Loadsamoney (Doin' Up The House)
This is a Journey into Pound . . s
(9) PRINCE – Alphabet Street (video)
Brought to you today by the Letter 'P', and by the number '9'
(23) THE ADVENTURES – Broken Land
Hello Mum!! (wrong camera, mate!)
(16) NARADA – Divine Emotions
Tour de Dance
(13) LIVERPOOL FC – Anfield Rap (Red Machine In Full Effect)
(31) BELINDA CARLISLE – Circle In The Sand
(26) DEREK B – Bad Young Brother
(28) PREFAB SPROUT – The King Of Rock 'N' Roll

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51106326@N00/sets/72157676868151632

(12) STAR TURN ON 45 PINTS – Pump Up The Bitter
A Load of Garbage
(5) WET WET WET – With A Little Help From My Friends
Marti Pellow's Only Part-Smug Band
(1) FAIRGROUND ATTRACTION – Perfect
A Bizarre Collection of Antiques & Curios
(15) KYLIE MINOGUE – Got To Be Certain (video / credits)
Dainty & Decorator

Sebastian Cobb

Genuinely still annoyed at how shit this episode was. Reid looks like a perverted Shakey as well.

LIVERPOOL FC – Anfield Rap (Red Machine In Full Effect) actually one of the highlights. There's a proper thread of 'ropey pisstakes of house songs' going on in the charts but soon we'll be getting a classic along those lines, right? (unless its been glittered :o( )

Jive Bunny? Not once, not twice, but three of them within 6 months of each other.

Brilliant.

DrGreggles

Quote from: A Hat Like That on August 17, 2019, 03:58:58 PM
LIVERPOOL FC – Anfield Rap (Red Machine In Full Effect) actually one of the highlights. There's a proper thread of 'ropey pisstakes of house songs' going on in the charts but soon we'll be getting a classic along those lines, right? (unless its been glittered :o( )

Ruined the traditional cup final song for me, Clive.

Sebastian Cobb

What's keeping me going is tat if S-Xpress is doing the business, it means that Ride On Time can't be too far away.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 17, 2019, 09:16:07 PM
What's keeping me going is tat if S-Xpress is doing the business, it means that Ride On Time can't be too far away.

Among a lot of SAWs and Jiving Bunnies.

Gulftastic

It makes me feel sad seeing Alphabet Street in the charts. 'Lovesexy' the album signifies that his Imperial Phase is over.

Bloody religion. If only he'd released the Black Album instead.

Quote from: DrGreggles on August 17, 2019, 07:22:56 PM
Ruined the traditional cup final song for me, Clive.

1. no Anfield Rap, no World in Motion.

2. good use of Bill Shankly.

3. excellent use of Brian Moore.