Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:41:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Topic: Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Two.

Started by Dr Rock, August 26, 2018, 02:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: A Hat Like That on August 19, 2019, 05:24:15 PM1. no Anfield Rap, no World in Motion.
Nah, they'd just have gone with the version with the Peter Beardsley rap at the end. Maybe if that had gone out, his wife might have more respect for the fuckin' doyle.

Ah, its a bit more complicated than that.

World in Motion - the b side

alternative raps at 3:12 and are supposedly Peter Beardsely, Paul Gascoigne, Steve McMahon and Des Walker, but I think the last line is Keith Allen.

QuoteThe only thing left to do was to give them all a go individually at performing it in full. Peter Beardsley struggled, Steve McMahon and Des Walker couldn't keep the required rhythm. An excited Gazza kept time perfectly but could barely be understood under a heavy accent enhanced by the booze. With just Chris Waddle and John Barnes left to have a go the microphone was passed to Barnes first. Barnes stayed on time, was clear and had the accent to compliment the line's rhythm without ever making it sound forced. Waddle never had his go as they had found their man

what could have been, what could have been.

buzby

Quote from: A Hat Like That on August 19, 2019, 06:03:07 PM
Ah, its a bit more complicated than that.

World in Motion - the b side

alternative raps at 3:12 and are supposedly Peter Beardsely, Paul Gascoigne, Steve McMahon and Des Walker, but I think the last line is Keith Allen.
It's a combination of Richard "Dickie the Christian" Chappell, the tape-op from Real World and Keith Allen doing impressions. 'The B Side' was the original demo version of the track, recorded at Real World in Bath with Roli Mosimann of Swans as producer, before they met up with the members of the squad who bothered to turn up at The Mill in Buckinghamshire to do the final version with Stephen Hague producing. The players were all paid in envelopes of cash for turning up.

Allen can be heard reprising his Gazza impression in this interview clip from Granada's 1990 end-of-year music review Bob's Christmas Rave (warning: contains Keith Allen, obviously).

For the video, John Barnes was injured so wasn't training with England, so New Order and Allen had to come over to LFC's training ground (Melwood in West Derby) to film him, with the distinctive 3 tower blocks of Winterburn Heights on Deysbrook Lane in the background (they were demolished in the mid-90s)

In fact, most of the footage featuring New Order (including Allen and Bernard driving round in his Mercedes SL, wearing an Elvis costume he found in Johnny Marr's house) was filmed there - notice that the team shot near the end only features Hook (shot at the FA's Lilleshall Hall training ground - he was the only member of the band who could be arsed going down to Berkshire).

Norton Canes

Norton Canes

Anyway yeah, I've missed the last couple and haven't really mustered the enthusiasm to catch up. With the early/mid 80's episodes almost all the studio performances were worth watching, skipping one was rare; now it's the norm to skip most of them and watch the one or two that are any good. But there are still plenty of great appearances to come.

Going back to 17 May 1984, I should have posted that this is fucking fantastic:

(25) WOMACK & WOMACK – Love Wars

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,31884.1920.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWL0XSlyW8Y

Different TV appearance (Channel 4?) with live vocals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BKOH_IrWC0

And they're back later in 1988 with an equally great one.

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on August 20, 2019, 10:45:53 PM
Going back to 17 May 1984, I should have posted that this is fucking fantastic:

(25) WOMACK & WOMACK – Love Wars

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,31884.1920.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWL0XSlyW8Y

Different TV appearance (Channel 4?) with live vocals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BKOH_IrWC0

And they're back later in 1988 with an equally great one.

I love Womack & Womack,

Baby I'm Scared Of You
https://youtu.be/sSkOSBoCqkQ

Mark E edit of BISOY
https://youtu.be/sSkOSBoCqkQ

Life Is Just A Ballgame (Ballroom Mix)
https://youtu.be/oXvjsIDdA3o

MPB (Frankie Knuckles Mix)
https://youtu.be/H95HDlAlUTY

daf

19 May 1988: Presenters: Simon Bates & Gary 'Sgriddy Poliddy' Davies

(14) PREFAB SPROUT – The King Of Rock 'N' Roll
Big Mac v Burger King
(4) KYLIE MINOGUE – Got To Be Certain (video)
Kylie Minogue is still "Doing It" (!)
(16) DEREK B – Bad Young Brother
Nick O' The Prince
(17) AZTEC CAMERA – Somewhere In My Heart
Roddy Cochran
- - - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(19) HEART – What About Love
(25) OFRA HAZA – Im Nin'Alu
(22) HOTHOUSE FLOWERS – Don't Go
(27) DEBBIE GIBSON – Out Of The Blue
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(12) BELINDA CARLISLE – Circle In The Sand (video)
Developing Tank in the Rockpool
(1) BILLY BRAGG WITH CARA TIVEY – She's Leaving Home
He's Singing Flat

(1) WET WET WET – With A Little Help From My Friends
Marti Pellow's Only Part-Shown Band (reprise)
(3) LIVERPOOL FC – Anfield Rap (Red Machine In Full Effect) (video / credits)
Brucie G. & Rap-ingggg

buzby

Quote from: daf on August 09, 2019, 09:29:28 PM
5 May 1988: Presenters: Bruno Brookes & Adrian John (Emergency Supply DJ Special!!)
Adrian John? Was there literally nobody else in Broadcasting house this week?

(24) JOYCE SIMS – Walk Away
Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 09, 2019, 07:33:49 PM
Offt, this Joyce Sims thing is not a good example of live singing.
She wasn't singing live this time - it's a dummy radio mike. The sound at the start was only the live studio ambinece with no playback mixed in, hence why it sounded ropey.
(10) NEW ORDER – Blue Monday '88 (video)
The big tax bill has come in after finally getting some royalties out of Factory for substance, and combined with signing to Quincy Jones' Qwest label in the states, it was decided it was the time to remix Blue Monday. Bernard was in his 'rerecording vocals of old somgs' phase, so a new vocal take was recorded for the release, but Jones and the remixer John 'Tokes' Potoker (virtually unknown here ,but a popular remixer in the US, known for a string of mid-80s Phil Collins extended 12" mixes, for fucks's sake) decided to use the original vocal track instead (the vocal take for the aborted Sunkist advert was recorded at the same session).

The remix itself is largely superflouous, with tinny new percussion and annoying vocal samples laid over the top (the remix if the original B-side dub version, Beach Buggy, is even worse for this). One saving grace fro mthe project was Peter Saville prosucing another iconic sleeve design using an image produced by his regular photography partner Trevor Key. It was a continuation of the false colour Dichrhomat process he had invented, frst used on the inner sleeves of the Substance album, the True Faith leaf and finding it's apex in the Technique-era sleeves.

The video was directed by US multimedia artist Robert Breer (another of Michael Shamberg's ideas), and features his two Weimaranars Fay and Ray, flickbook animation and the band posing with found objets and evading tennis balls on piano wire. Breer's flickbooks from the video were reproduced as Factoeys 1988 Christmas card - the Blue Monday 88 'Manual Video'

As well as being the first time a 7" version of Blue Monday had been officially released in the UK, itc would also prove to be thier highest charting single, outside of World In Motion.

(1) S-EXPRESS – Theme From S-Express
The OSCar and VP-330 have changed sides this week, but at least it's a new appearance rather than VT.

Quote from: daf on August 17, 2019, 11:52:20 AM
12 May 1988: Presenters: Simon Mayo & Mike Read

(4) HARRY ENFIELD – Loadsamoney (Doin' Up The House)
Another early William Orbit production, under the alias Krunch Groove. Unlike the JAMMs, he got clearance for the Kinks, ABBA and Cabaret soundtrack samples, not to mention the interpolations of Hey Big Spender, Money (That's What I Want). It did mean that Enfied and co. ended up with hardly any royalties from the track. Early copies of the single included a photocopied 'Dosh' banknote insert:

The KLF would, of course, take some inspiration from this track in the near future.
(23) THE ADVENTURES – Broken Land
Simply Red lite, with a bit of Celtic thrown in to emphasise their Belfast roots. They had signed to Chrysalis in 1985 and released an album and string of singles, all of which failed to trouble the Top 40 despite heavy TV and radio plugging form their manager Simon Fuller. They wrre evnetually dropped by Chrysalis in 1985, and after a couple of years Fuller managed to get them a deal with Elektra (hence why they were supporting Fleetwood Mac in the US). Another publicity push got them this top 20 hit, and the following album reachedd #30, but the follow-up singles also failed to chart.

They were then dropped by Elektra before eventually getting another deal with Polydor in 1992, but the lead single for the album only reached #98 and the album stalled at #64, at which point they finally called time on the band.
(12) STAR TURN ON 45 PINTS – Pump Up The Bitter
Absolute fucking toilet. I wonder if this was the inspiration for Enfield's Geordie anti-Loadsaboney character Buggerallmoney?
(5) WET WET WET – With A Little Help From My Friends
This fucking preening twat can fuck off and all.

Chriddof

Quote from: buzby on August 22, 2019, 10:23:34 PM
The video was directed by US multimedia artist Robert Breer (another of Michael Shamberg's ideas), and features his two Weimaranars Fay and Ray, flickbook animation and the band posing with found objets and evading tennis balls on piano wire. Breer's flickbooks from the video were reproduced as Factoeys 1988 Christmas card - the Blue Monday 88 'Manual Video'

Fay and Ray was actually one dog by the name of Fay Ray, owned by William Wegman. He was the other artist who worked on the video and you see him credited after Breer on the Manual Video cover - Breer was an experimental animator and his involvement would have been limited to the flickbook stuff. Fay Ray was female, and was named after 1930s King Kong star Fay Wray. Her name was also a punning tribute to the name of Wegman's first dog model Man Ray (itself a name which was a tribute to the dadaist / surrealist artist of the same name). I don't know why Fay is credited first and without her "surname". Wegman did a lot of video art and photos using his dogs - outside of the Blue Monday video, he produced a number of films for Sesame Street. This is one of the later examples from the 1990s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgQNx_aRZgk

And Stephen Fry was moved enough by Wegman's work that he included a clip of a dogless Wegman video art performance in the pilot of A Bit Of Fry And Laurie:

https://youtu.be/EWll-BxQQZw

steveh

Quote from: buzby on August 22, 2019, 10:23:34 PM
It did mean that Enfied and co. ended up with hardly any royalties from the track.

Though they would have got some royalties off The B Side. Old trick that started with cover versions was always to do a B side that the artist or producer wrote themselves, no matter how bad, so they got more off sales.

I see on Discogs that's credited as being mixed by "Lance" aka Paul Whitehouse, a name he recycled later on the TV shows.

Jockice

Two of The Adventures had been on Top Of The Pops a few years earlier with this, one of the first singles I ever bought, the day after seeing this performance. I still think it's a decent number.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baRJGXw5cUM

Norton Canes

Quote from: Gulftastic on August 18, 2019, 06:11:11 PM
It makes me feel sad seeing Alphabet Street in the charts. 'Lovesexy' the album signifies that his Imperial Phase is over

Ah yeah, but we've still got New Power Generation, Gett Off, Cream, Money Don't Matter..., Sexy MF, My Name Is Prince and Peach among many more brilliant songs, then his one and only chart topper.

Weird that The Most Beautiful Girl in the World finally gets to number one, and it's the last of his well-known singles.

PREFAB SPROUT – The King Of Rock 'N' Roll  & AZTEC CAMERA – Somewhere In My Heart, two stone cold eighties classics on one episode.

Quote from: Norton Canes on August 23, 2019, 10:47:11 AM
Weird that The Most Beautiful Girl in the World finally gets to number one, and it's the last of his well-known singles.

Especially as it was released in the UK via independent hip hop label Music Of Life, responsible for Derek B's initial releases.

buzby

Quote from: Chriddof on August 23, 2019, 12:44:39 AM
Fay and Ray was actually one dog by the name of Fay Ray,
Ah, thanks - I knew he had had two Weimaraners by that point and that one had died. You have just reminded me that the earlier dog was indeed Man Ray. I'm sure that on the credits of the 'Substance 1989' VHS it thanks 'Fay & Ray' as well. I'm sure I remember reading an article at the time that said two dogs were in the video too, but that one had died before it was released. However, as you say Man Ray had died in 1982 and it took Wegman until 1986 to decide to get Fay, after visiting MSU to give a lecture and one of the professors offered him a puppy from her Weimaraner's litter.

Fay had a litter herself not long after appearing in the video, and her offspring went on to appear in Wegman's photographs, books and films too (her great-gransdon Bobbin Ray was the last survivor, and was named in tribute to the Boston comedy duo Bob and Ray)

Quote from: steveh on August 23, 2019, 08:19:36 AM
Though they would have got some royalties off The B Side. Old trick that started with cover versions was always to do a B side that the artist or producer wrote themselves, no matter how bad, so they got more off sales.

I see on Discogs that's credited as being mixed by "Lance" aka Paul Whitehouse, a name he recycled later on the TV shows.

Yes, they would have got something from The B Side, but only from sales of the single as there would be no mechanical royalties from it ever getting airplay. 'Lance' was Loadsamoney's idiot sidekick, as you say played by Whitehouse (who is wearing a T-shirt with his name on in the studio), going right back to their Saturday Live appearances. When Enfield binned the Loadsamoney character, Lance lived on as the sidekick to Enfield's Lee in the 'And Chums' TV series.

Quote from: buzby on August 20, 2019, 09:14:41 AM
It's a combination of Richard "Dickie the Christian" Chappell, the tape-op from Real World and Keith Allen doing impressions. 'The B Side' was the original demo version of the track, recorded at Real World in Bath with Roli Mosimann of Swans as producer, before they met up with the members of the squad who bothered to turn up at The Mill in Buckinghamshire to do the final version with Stephen Hague producing. The players were all paid in envelopes of cash for turning up.

Allen can be heard reprising his Gazza impression in this interview clip from Granada's 1990 end-of-year music review Bob's Christmas Rave (warning: contains Keith Allen, obviously).

For the video, John Barnes was injured so wasn't training with England, so New Order and Allen had to come over to LFC's training ground (Melwood in West Derby) to film him, with the distinctive 3 tower blocks of Winterburn Heights on Deysbrook Lane in the background (they were demolished in the mid-90s)

In fact, most of the footage featuring New Order (including Allen and Bernard driving round in his Mercedes SL, wearing an Elvis costume he found in Johnny Marr's house) was filmed there - notice that the team shot near the end only features Hook (shot at the FA's Lilleshall Hall training ground - he was the only member of the band who could be arsed going down to Berkshire).

thorough.

cheers.

boki

Quote from: daf on August 22, 2019, 09:23:04 PM
19 May 1988: Presenters: Simon Bates & Gary 'Sgriddy Poliddy' Davies

The day after my 14th birthday, lads!  This was significant as my present from my folks was a hi-fi unit with -gasp- one of them CD players that you hear about!

Quote(14) PREFAB SPROUT – The King Of Rock 'N' Roll
Big Mac v Burger King

Cracking start. Although I was very much a mulleted AC/DC fan by this point, I still had a bit of a soft spot for the Sprout as When Love Breaks Down had taken residence in my head a few years previously and this bugger's even catchier.  Very much beloved of our erstwhile golden man Suttonpubcrawl.

Quote(4) KYLIE MINOGUE – Got To Be Certain (video)
Kylie Minogue is still "Doing It" (!)

Standard placeholder business.  SAW making hay while the sun shines and Kylie keeping her name out there innit.

Quote(16) DEREK B – Bad Young Brother
Nick O' The Prince

No memory of this, gonna have to hit up the iPlayer. 

Quote(17) AZTEC CAMERA – Somewhere In My Heart
Roddy Cochran

Ah, now this was a big ol' bit of me. This was the year where I would eventually stop worrying and learn to love Thrash Metal, but I still liked my rock a bit soft and melodic, so a pop song with an unexpectedly rawk guitar solo was very welcome.  We used to go to Butlins resorts on family holidays and the house band would always open with this one.  Highlight of my night, unless I could extract another quid out of the folks for the arcade.

Quote- - - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(19) HEART – What About Love
(25) OFRA HAZA – Im Nin'Alu
(22) HOTHOUSE FLOWERS – Don't Go
(27) DEBBIE GIBSON – Out Of The Blue
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

How's that for a mixed bag?  Although the Heart single was a re-release of an earlier song to capitalise on the success of Bad Animals (which I actually bought), I wasn't aware of that and it felt like diminishing returns were setting in.  Speaking of capitalising, I thought it was neat to see Ofra Haza enjoy a little success off of the back of being sampled on Pump Up The Volume.

Quote(12) BELINDA CARLISLE – Circle In The Sand (video)
Developing Tank in the Rockpool
He's Singing Flat

(1) WET WET WET – With A Little Help From My Friends
Marti Pellow's Only Part-Shown Band (reprise)

Meh.  Not one of Belinda's strongest and I really didn't share the elder generation's ongoing fascination with the Fab Four, though I've come to appreciate them more as I've got older.

Quote(3) LIVERPOOL FC – Anfield Rap (Red Machine In Full Effect) (video / credits)
Brucie G. & Rap-ingggg

Ah, the feelgood hit of the summer scout camp.  Wasn't into footy at that age, but there was something endearingly daft about this that made it fun anyway.

My first CD purchase was Ram It Down by Judas Priest, by the way

buzby

Quote from: boki on August 23, 2019, 12:46:12 PM
Speaking of capitalising, I thought it was neat to see Ofra Haza enjoy a little success off of the back of being sampled on Pump Up The Volume.
*BZZZT*
Im Nin'Alu was remixed (by Trevor Horn protege and ZTT/Sarm house engineer/producer 'Sonic Bob' Kraushaar) and reissued on the back of it's use by Coldcut on their 'Seven Minutes Of Madness' remix of Eric B & Rakim's Paid In Full (the remix was even subtitled as the 'Played In Full Mix' as a nod to it).

It's use by Coldcut probably came about after Galbi, another track from her 1984 album Yemenite Songs. had been given a dance remix in Israel. It was released in the UK on the Globe Style label in 1986 and became a club hit. On the B-side was the original version of Im Nin'Alu, with it's acapella intro.

It is a common misconception (including in the Wiki article about the track) that M/A/R/R/S also sampled Im Nin'Alu on Pump Up The Volume, but they didn't - the middle-eastern singing that is spun in after the 'Put the needle on the record' sample is actually from Abu Zeluf by Dunya Yunis, from the 'Music in the World of Islam, 1: The Human Voice' LP, released in 1976. It was also sampled by Yello on Santiago, Byrne & Eno on My Life In the Bush Of Ghosts (along with other tracks from the same album), The Orb and many, many others.

daf

Quote from: buzby on August 23, 2019, 01:24:05 PM
the middle-eastern singing that is spun in after the 'Put the needle on the record' sample is actually from Abu Zeluf by Dunya Yunis, from the 'Music in the World of Islam, 1: The Human Voice' LP, released in 1976.

Or just "Mrs Patel" if you're old Pump up the Bitters - the daft racists!

Chriddof

That's the absolute worst bit of that record, easily. And he adds "...Gunga Din!" after that, just to really rub it in.

Norton Canes

Oh FFS I was really looking forward to some Pops tonight. Fucking Proms.

bigfatheart

Quote from: daf on August 22, 2019, 09:23:04 PM
He's Singing Flat

He's given his version of events on the Facebook:

Quote from: Billy BraggSeen a few comments on social media about my honorary Number One hit single after BBC Four broadcast a Top of the Pops from May 1988. It came about after I recorded a track for a benefit album that NME were putting together to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Beatles Sgt Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band. An eclectic bunch of artists including Sonic Youth, Frank Sidebottom, Courtney Pine, the Fall and the Christians each covered a track from the original album.

I was one of the first artists to be approached and I chose 'She's Leaving Home' because I felt it best reflected the work of the record's beneficiary, Childline, a telephone helpline for children and teenagers run by the NSPCC, founded by Esther Ranzen. Also, it was one of the few Pepper's tracks that I thought I could do justice to. I recorded it one afternoon during a break in the Worker's Playtime sessions. Cara Tivey, my then keyboard player, did most of the work, playing piano and recorder and singing the part of the parents. We sent it off to the NME and didn't give it much more thought.

When the album was released, it was decided to put out a double A side single, pairing our little song with Wet Wet Wet's feelgood version of 'With A Little Help From My Friends'. Three weeks later, I was in New York at the end of a US tour. Returning from a trip to the Yankee Stadium to watch a baseball game, I found there were several messages from my manager in London. The single had gone to number one and I was booked to appear on Top of the Pops the day after I flew home.

This was in the days when I insisted on playing live on TV. While everyone else on the programme was miming to a backing track of their single, I wanted to actually perform the song. 48 hours later I was in BBC Television Centre with a hastily assembled band. In recognition of her contribution to the track, the single had been credited to Billy Bragg with Cara Tivey, so she was on piano and vocals. But who was to play the recorder part? Dave Woodhead, who played trumpet on my early albums was a shoo-in, but I also remembered that my old pal and sometime sideman, Wiggy, had been in the recorder group at school, so I roped him in as well.

The one factor I hadn't taken on board when I demanded that we play live was that I had only ever sung the song once, in the studio months before. I didn't know the lyrics very well, so hastily wrote them on a sheet of paper, which I placed at my feet. It all went fine during the afternoon run through, but when it came to the actual recording, things were decidedly different.

As we began performing, at 23.45 on the clip, technicians unleashed a cloud of dry ice. It's not an uncommon feature of a rock show, where it surrounds the artist like a thin mist and allows the lights to look more meaningful than they actually are. But the BBC didn't want their performers to disappear into a fog. As a result, their dry ice clung to the floor, wafting around your ankles like a layer of thick cloud. My crib sheet of lyrics was soon obscured.

You can see the effect at 24.42, when I fluff the lines. Although I look relatively calm, I was panicking inside, hoping that I'd get another chance to perform the song. My saviour appeared in the shape of a BBC technician placing a ladder onto one of the overhead gantries. I saw him walk across the space behind the audience, watching me intently. He continued to look at me while he put his ladder into position. Except he missed the gantry and the steel ladder fell from the vertical to the horizontal with a loud crash. You can hear it at 26.12.

I relaxed a little then, feeling sure the director would be forced to go again. But no. We finished the song and were ushered off the green room to make nice with Simon Bates and Gary Whatshisname. I felt awful, like we hadn't delivered. I was Number One and it was shit. Fortunately, I didn't have to witness the broadcast, as the next day I flew to Warsaw to start a tour of the Baltic States.

Looking at the clip after all this time, it's not nearly as bad as I remember it. But did Simon Bates really introduce us as "Cara Tivey.....and also some bloke called Billy Bragg"?

Doesn't he normally sing flat? The same duo murders 'Close To You' here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHUhpn3PHbo

What were they fucking thinking?

Sebastian Cobb

lol at Kylie miming on what appears to be the judderiest merry go round ever.

Sheme they've fucked up on Derek B and given us the ambient mix so you can't really make out what he's saying.

I remember reading about the ladder falling over on one of his TOTP appearances in Still Suitable for Miners, but naturally I forgot which performance it was, so I've always had my ears pricked for it.

non capisco

After a rash of truly deadening episodes it was a nice surprise to discover how much I like 'Somewhere In My Heart' by Aztec Camera, a tune I've been familiar with as cultural wallpaper in the 80s and 90s but only today really appreciated it as a great pop song. Roddy Frame is suddenly a bequiffed dreamboat, the chorus hook is killer, the whole thing oozes confidence. Pop manna compared to most of what was about in the same period. From thirty years distance I can hear that most of those S/A/W tunes were decent enough pop songs (that Kylie song this week has a great bit when they run out of lyrics for the second verse and she just goes "woh-ooh-woh-ooh-woh-ooh") but the sickly synth trumpets they invariably have taking a dump over the whole aural space of the things are really unpalatable and haven't got any better with time.

It's a shame I find the arrangement and production of Prefab Sprout's 'King Of Rock 'N' Roll' quite so cloying as the opening lyrics are brilliant.

QuoteAll my lazy teenage boasts are now high precision ghosts
And they're coming round the track to haunt me.

To paraphrase Beavis and Butthead why don't those lyrics not just fly off into a song that doesn't suck?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Yeah, I really like that Aztec Camera song, too.
( NB- This would work better if I could post in as " Gwen Stefani After Having Recorded " What You Waiting For?" ")
( a nice, nostalgic post for all you former NOTBBCers out there ).

Jockice

One of the many crimes against humanity committed by my awful girlfriend in the late 90s was her insistence in filing Aztec Camera alongside Level 42 in her 'middle-of-the road crap' file. She always mentioned them together, as if they were somehow the same band. Grrr. Yes, we know you listen to the Pixies dear, so you're obviously terribly radical and living on the edge.