Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:39:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Topic: Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Two.

Started by Dr Rock, August 26, 2018, 02:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
 ("as you can see, they're really liberal with some of their videos in Europe")

Pearls clutched.

sweeper

I'm still reeling from the impurity of thought that Sabrina inflicted on me in actual 1988.

FYI: I stand in a cold shower and hum 'Nothing's Gonna Change My Love For You.'

Fucking Europeans.

buzby

Quote from: daf on September 19, 2019, 08:50:50 PM
9 June 1988: Presenters: Simon Mayo & Peter Powell
Quote from: sweeper on September 20, 2019, 09:17:05 AM
My god, that closing link is a thing of wonder: Powell inexplicably leaning on a woman's head; Mayo putting his hand on Powell's bonce, and Powell's momentary slip into hostility: 'get off me'; two middle-aged women waving and mugging maniacally throughout. Mesmerising.
That was TV Gold, Powell's mask slipping momentarilty on national TV.
1988 really is the worst year for presenters, isn't it? I live in fear of another Campbell/Mayo team up. Dreadful. I know Mayo is now a much beloved broadcaster, but I've always thought he was a 'porridge faced wanker.'
Mayo is a wooden, pious charisma vacuum. On the evidence so far, Campbell is a vessel for the sexist banter and witless japery of the ghost of DLT, and must be living in fear of losing his 5 Live slot if the Twitterati were to pick up on his antics in these repeats.
(4) THE TIMELORDS – Doctorin' The Tardis
Drummond and Cauty had gone into the studio with the intention of recording a house version of the Dr. Who theme (the title was a play on Coldcut's Doctorin' The House), but upon realisisng it was in triplet time found the only beat that would work with it was the 'schaffel' beat so beloved of 70s glam. This led to Richardson recreating the beat from Rock & Roll Pt.2 and on hearing it they realised they had a potential hit on their hands and decided to go full-on with the glam pastiche, adding the sample of the intro from The Sweet's Block Buster! (the siren from which then also fed into the idea of getting Cauty's 1968 Galaxie to front the track as Ford Timelord).

Recorded at Village Studios in an industrial estate in Dagenham, owned by 70s disco producer Tony Atkins. Fittingly for a record that repurposes 70s glam, two members of one of the later incarnations of The Rubettes were involved in it's creation - drummer Ian Richardson (who had also been the drummer in Suzi Quatro's band) was Village's house engineer, and keyboard player Nick Coler (who started as a house session player for Bronze Records in the 70s) was the programmer and arranger. Both had previously collaborated with Drummond on his 1986 solo album The Man (which had been mixed at Village). Atkins, Coler and Richardson had also been been behind Tyme Code, who put out an electro-themed cover/60s medley of Louie Louie in 1986. To perform the scratching they drafted in another previous collaborator, DJ/producer Cesare Marcher who had worked with them on some of The JAMs previous singles.

The single was mixed by Mark 'Spike' Stent, who was a well-known house engineer at Trident Studios and remixer but was just entering a 'hot' phase of remixing house tracks.

All three would continue to collaborate with Drummond and Cauty on their various projects and their association with The KLF's hits made their careers, Stent is still an in-demand producer (most recently working with Charli XCX, Bastille and MAroon 5) and Coler went on to become one of the original partners in Xenomania.

Coler's friend Dominic Glynn had recorded the new arrangement of the Dr Who theme for the show's 23rd season(a Discordian coincidence even Drummond and Cauty couldn't have counted on) in 1986, and gave Coler copies of the sound effects he had sampled from the original masters (when asked by the BBC where they had got the TARDIS sound effect, they replied that they had recreated it using the original method of scraping piano strings with a key). The Dr Who theme bassline and melody used on the tracka are also similar to Glynn's version of the theme, so Coler may also have used Glynn's MIDI sequence data as a starting point to re-record it.

The simplistic chant-along vocals featured Loadsamoney's catchphrase, borrowed from his recent hit single, and rather fittingly for a record conceived in Dagenham, the 'You what?' catchphrase of London soul DJ (and terrible singer) Steve Walsh. For added 70s glam era feel it also features dislogue samples of the Daleks from 1975's Genesis Of The Daleks.

For the TOTP performance, they originally wanted to just have the car on the stage surrounded by smoke with it's lights going, but were told that would be right out by the BBC. Instead they came up with the black and white toppers and tails outfits (complete with matching Flying Vs and canes) and reusing the homemade teachest Daleks from the video. One is labelled 'Turbo' and is playing a ARP Odyssey Mk2. The other is playing Trancentral's Apple II that housed the Greengate DS3 sampler card used to make the 1987 album, highlighted with their trademark hazard tape. The Glitter Band-style double drummers (Coler and Richardson) are wearing 'Who Killed The JAMs?' t-shirts, their first album recorded as The KLF that had been released in February that year.
(18) FIVE STAR – Another Weekend (video)
They're Bad, they're Bad, They're really, really, Bad
Arf!
(23) VOICE OF THE BEEHIVE – Don't Call Me Baby
This seems to 'borrow heavily' from The Bangles' version of Manic Monday, to my ears anyway.
(24) SABRINA – Boys (Summertime Love)
PHWOAR!
(31) JAMES BROWN – I'm Real
Dreadful. I know Brown must have been fed up with people selling records based off sampling him, but this  attempt to jump on the bandwagon is as bad as that Payback Mix from a few weeks back.
(15) MAXI PRIEST – Wild World
Proper live singing too (the difference in size between a real radio mic and the TOTP prop mics is laughable). Nice to see reggae's continuing affection for the Steinberger headless bass.
(12) MORRISSEY – Everyday Is Like Sunday
Still wearing a Smiths t-shirt under the jacket. Whose idea was it to liven up a Moz perfomance with strobes? They play merry hell with burn-in on the tubes in the cameras (the crane camera is particularly badly affected by them).
(19) ERASURE – Chains Of Love (video / credits)
CHAINS-DO YOU SEE? A fantastically literal video, and it looks like Bell is having the time of his life. Vince's then-current love affair with the Casio CZ-series synths continues with the appearance of a CZ-101.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: buzby on September 20, 2019, 12:10:53 PMNice to see reggae's continuing affection for the Steinberger headless bass.
As a random bass-trivia aside, I read that Steve Queralt from Ride used one of them when recording their comeback "Weather Diaries" album.

That Sabrina video made the pre-teenage me feel "a bit wobbly" (so to speak) without really understanding why.

buzby

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on September 20, 2019, 12:45:16 PM
As a random bass-trivia aside, I read that Steve Queralt from Ride used one of them when recording their comeback "Weather Diaries" album.
The original carbon-graphite L-series Steinbergers (before the Gibson takeover) are reportedy excellent instruments and highly sought-after. The graphite construction makes them extremely stable tuning-wise and they have a very fat, pure tone that makes them great for recording work. There does seem to a still be a stigma attached to being seen playing one live though.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: buzby on September 20, 2019, 01:09:57 PMThere does seem to a still be a stigma attached to being seen playing one live though.
It's true. Speaking as a bassist, I wouldn't want to be seen swinging one around, lest people think I was in a tribute act for Curiousity Killed the Cat or something.

Pauline Walnuts

The active EMG pickups on the Steinbergers are bright, but nothing a quick tweak of the tone treble/bass knobs can't tame.

DrGreggles

Quote from: sweeper on September 20, 2019, 09:48:37 AM
I'm still reeling from the impurity of thought that Sabrina inflicted on me in actual 1988.

Likewise. The 13 year old me definitely used to have a good hard think about her on occasion.

sweeper

Quote from: buzby on September 20, 2019, 12:10:53 PM
On the evidence so far, Campbell is a vessel for the sexist banter and witless japery of the ghost of DLT

There was some weird quip on last week's ep.

'That was Desireless ... wonder why she's called that?' (ironic blank stare at camera).

I don't even know what that's supposed to mean. Is it 'well I wouldn't do her, mate'? Fuck knows.

People like Campbell as well, don't they, these days? He's always been snide little twat in my opinion. A preposterous cunt.

Quote from: daf on September 05, 2019, 08:50:26 PM
2 June 1988: Presenters: Nicky Campbell & Peter Powell (Stuck in a broom Cupboard Special!!)

(18) ASWAD – Give A Little Love (video)
Tres Joli Chapeaux
(14) DESIRELESS – Voyage Voyage (video)
La Brush Bonce
(23) TIFFANY – I Saw Him Standing There (video)
She Was Just Seventeen Sixteen and 8 months
- - - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(22) THE TIMELORDS – Doctorin' The Tardis
(27) VOICE OF THE BEEHIVE – Don't Call Me Baby
(25) FIVE STAR – Another Weekend
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(5) AZTEC CAMERA – Somewhere In My Heart
With these Two Drummers, you are really spoiling us!

(21) ROD STEWART – Lost In You (video)
He Was Just Forty Three, You Know what I meee . . .
(1) WET WET WET – With A Little Help From My Friends
Being for The Benefit of Mr Charidee
(4) BELINDA CARLISLE – Circle In The Sand (video / credits)
Photo Finish

just caught up with this one.

Tiffany cannot sing. That is all.

Top of the Pops-

16/06/1988

Quick observations- Awkward chemistry between Mike and Gary throughout this episode. The handover at the start was stilted. Maybe a re-shoot, strange editing.

Sabrina - Aye carumba! I also liked the shit rapping Oates lookalike on the dx7.
Erasure - Synth pop, the pinata years.
Sisters of mercy - Not a bad tune, waiting for that dude with the sax from The Lost Boys to pop up though. Some weird camera work going on.
Matt Bianco - a bunch of wankers.
Bros - Denim and dad dancing. Utter shit.
The Timelords - Bill and Jimmy start their discordian pop journey.

Other notes - If someone could please link me those vaporwave inspired Chubby Checker cut up videos that american anti-artist dude made, I would be very appreciative. Sade - I need a shower after this and Sabrina. Pasadena was cringe inducing.

Over and out.

daf

16 June 1988: Presenters: Gary Davies & Mike Read

(4) SABRINA – Boys (Summertime Love)
Bounce Bounce Bounce! (I'm Looking for a good bra)
(11) ERASURE – Chains Of Love
Blouse Blouse Blouse!   (You should see my gloves)
(20) THE SISTERS OF MERCY – Lucretia My Reflection
Black Black Black! (I'm having a real bad time)
- - - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(19) THE FAT BOYS & CHUBBY CHECKER – The Twist (Yo Twist)
(25) EURYTHMICS – You Have Placed A Chill In My Heart
(26) A-HA – The Blood That Moves The Body
(29) SADE – Paradise
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(21) MATT BIANCO – Don't Blame It On That Girl
Matt! Hat! Spats! (I'm ready for my Tap-dance)
(2) BROS – I Owe You Nothing
Ooh-Ooh, Urghhh-Urghhh!! (Sometimes he grunts, Matt is growling "Ooh") (chorus : x2)

(1) THE TIMELORDS – Doctorin' The Tardis
Bosh! Bosh! Bosh! (I'm Looking for a Zarbii)
(16) THE PASADENAS – Tribute (Right On) (video / credits)
Box Box Box! (I want one made from good pine)

sweeper

Quote from: daf on September 20, 2019, 09:05:49 PM

(25) EURYTHMICS – You Have Placed A Chill In My Heart

So brave of A Kneelin' Ox to take time out of rehab to make this vid.

DrGreggles

dfurnell

Quote from: buzby on September 20, 2019, 12:10:53 PM
All three would continue to collaborate with Drummond and Cauty on their various projects and their association with The KLF's hits made their careers, Stent is still an in-demand producer (most recently working with Charli XCX, Bastille and MAroon 5) and Coler went on to become one of the original partners in Xenomania.

Coler turns up being interviewed in the forthcoming documentary What Time Is Death? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9753110/ talking about the recording of one of their most hard-to-get recordings the K Foundations 'K Cera Cera'. But that's a bit off topic.

She bounces right out of her bra in the video. Crikey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxQt4JqlSOg

(21) MATT BIANCO – Don't Blame It On That Girl
Matt! Hat! Spats! (I'm ready for my Tap-dance)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEkB25V_ow8

Obvious but had to be done. Maybe Matt Bianco had just watched the Sabrina video.

non capisco

Despite gifting us with 'When The Screaming Stops', the music documentary that has it all (I find the bit where they sing the song about their dead mum and Hair Bros can't get through it without crying really moving, and then there's also all the many bits where you get to laugh at the pair of risible tits and all the farcical things they do, think and say), Bros' hit singles were really hard on the ear, weren't they? That throat thing he does to presumably try and sound 'soulful' really just resembles someone locked in a battle with acid reflux. Was he trying to make "MMNNGGGHHHWOOOOH-OH!" his version of Michael Jackson going "OW!" "Shamone!" or "Hee-Hee!"?  There's a bit towards the end of I Owe You Nothing where he does three rapid MMNNGGGHHHWOOOOH-OH!'s in a row, really pushing the point home. You know that bit in my previous terrible hit song Drop The Boy where I go MMNNGGGHHHWOOOOH-OH? Well, that got to number 2 so I'm going to really double down on those now. MMNNGGGHHHWOOOOH-OH!

I'm going to avoid focusing on the obvious with Sabrina and instead turn my attention to the rapping Oates-esque keyboard player. Does he say "Say hey, say you, say me, say what? Everybody has got a cock."?

Quote from: non capisco on September 21, 2019, 12:46:29 AM
Despite gifting us with 'When The Screaming Stops', the music documentary that has it all (I find the bit where they sing the song about their dead mum and Hair Bros can't get through it without crying really moving, and then there's also all the many bits where you get to laugh at the pair of risible tits and all the things they do and say), Bros' hit singles were really hard on the ear, weren't they? That throat thing he does to presumably try and sound 'soulful' really just resembles someone locked in a battle with acid reflux. Was he trying to make "MMNNGGGHHHWOOOOH-OH!" his version of Michael Jackson going "OW!" "Shamone!" or "Hee-Hee!"?  There's a bit towards the end of I Owe You Nothing where he does three rapid MMNNGGGHHHWOOOOH-OH!'s in a row, really pushing the point home. You know that bit in my previous terrible hit song Drop The Boy where I go MMNNGGGHHHWOOOOH-OH? Well, that got to number 2 so I'm going to really double down on those now. MMNNGGGHHHWOOOOH-OH!

I'm going to avoid focusing on the obvious with Sabrina and instead turn my attention to the rapping Oates-esque keyboard player. Does he say "Say hey, say you, say me, say what? Everybody has got a cock."?

It SURE sounds like he's singing that.

non capisco

To be fair to the unpalatable racist bellend Morrissey 'Every Day Is Like Sunday' is a brilliant song. One of the few of his along with 'How Soon Is Now' and 'The Headmaster Ritual' that I like.

the

Quote from: non capisco on September 21, 2019, 01:04:09 AMTo be fair to the unpalatable racist bellend Morrissey 'Every Day Is Like Sunday' is a brilliant song.

It's dripping shite. I heard it when it was contemporary, and not only does it persist as drab-as-fuck audio hessian, but surely in the oeuvre of The Smiths (a band whose output I've not studied for longer than I've been subjected to it on pub jukeboxes) it's just a cheap retread of that whole "eurrr I'm emotionally disengaged with my surroundings therefore it needs to be nuked" bullshit that they'd already fucked to death years previously. It's shit like this that I blame for the state of CaB whenever there's the 177th entitled 'crap towns' thread or some snotty face-value shit about slightly-removed mainstream culture. Bedshit Wankophone.

Pauline Walnuts

In the chart run down, they mispronounce James Brown's surname.

Takes some skill that.

Or maybe it was a joke? It's hard to tell.

Quote from: Glamorgan testicle ward on September 20, 2019, 08:05:53 PM

Other notes - If someone could please link me those vaporwave inspired Chubby Checker cut up videos that american anti-artist dude made, I would be very appreciative.
Over and out.

This?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_1M25ZOspM

In any case, we had Fat Boys doing Wipeout with some of the Beach Boys back in '87.

Next single is with Freddie Kreuger.

It did not chart.

DrGreggles

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on September 21, 2019, 09:14:49 AM
In the chart run down, they mispronounce James Brown's surname.

Takes some skill that.

The famous episode presented by David Pleat?

Quote from: A Hat Like That on September 21, 2019, 09:42:41 AM
This?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_1M25ZOspM

In any case, we had Fat Boys doing Wipeout with some of the Beach Boys back in '87.

Next single is with Freddie Kreuger.

It did not chart.

Here we go...absolute genius. ''I discovered Dick Clark..''
Well done Vic Berger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d6vkDNEOKI

''I'm looking at her and she's looking at me and we're doing something...''

Warning - after this you'll never see Chubby Checker the same way again.

kalowski

Quote from: Glamorgan testicle ward on September 20, 2019, 11:15:22 PM

She bounces right out of her bra in the video. Crikey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxQt4JqlSOg
Blimey. Now I remember why I enjoyed that as a kid. Nippletastic!

Quote from: kalowski on September 21, 2019, 12:47:55 PM
Blimey. Now I remember why I enjoyed that as a kid. Nippletastic!

Here's Sabrina modelling the M.Bison from Streetfighter 2 look. Somewhat militaristic..stand to attention boys boys boys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNtstd2pChg