Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:00:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Topic: Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Two.

Started by Dr Rock, August 26, 2018, 02:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daf

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Was anyone on hear ever a proud admirer of Romo bands ?

daf

24 July 1986: Presenters: Gary Davies & Peter Powell (Andy & Fergie Royal Wedding Special!!)

(8) HOLLYWOOD BEYOND – What's The Colour Of Money?
On the day of the Royal Wedding, here's some oiled-up Communist Chippendales
(16) SINITTA – So Macho (video)
No David Essex Please, were British
(19) AUDREY HALL – Smile
Show us your gums, Pete!
(11) ROBERT PALMER – I Didn't Mean To Turn You On (video)
I didn't mean to turn up with the same video
- - - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(30) SPANDAU BALLET – Fight For Ourselves
(25) FIVE STAR – Find The Time
(20) THE JESUS & MARY CHAIN – Some Candy Talking
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51106326@N00/sets/72157662809973471

(14) HAYWOODE – Roses
Fergie Fright Mask
(1) MADONNA – Papa Don't Preach (video)
Italians Do it Better (accidentally get pregnant)
(33) KATRINA & THE WAVES – Sun Street (video / credits)
Sing along you spoilt little brats!

daf

31 July 1986: Presenters: Janice Long & Mike Read

(15) SPANDAU BALLET – Fight For Ourselves
Ooh - new mic technique!
(13) THE JESUS & MARY CHAIN – Some Candy Talking (video)
The Velcro Underpants
(10) FIVE STAR – Find The Time
Another exhausting workout

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51106326@N00/sets/72157663004809635/

(31) PAUL MCCARTNEY – Press
(18) THE SMITHS – Panic
(6) STAN RIDGWAY – Camouflage
From William Shakespeare, Richard the Third, a small excerpt.
The line reads :
'He has come to open the purple testament of bleeding war.'
And for Private Stan Ridgeway, United States Marine Corps, the testament is closed.
Private Ridgeway has found . . . The Twilight Zone.

(1) CHRIS DE BLUUUUURGH – The Lady In Red
Slow daahnce for Fergie
(36) IT BITES – Calling All The Heroes (video / credits)
Call-ing all the Prog fans . . . Playing wiggly synth bit

The Culture Bunker

Can't really be having with It Bites' music, but feel I need to rep for them as they're the only band from anywhere near my hometown to get a sniff of the charts.

DrGreggles

Quote from: daf on October 26, 2018, 09:59:03 PM
31 July 1986: Presenters: Janice Long & Mike Read

(15) SPANDAU BALLET – Fight For Ourselves
Ooh - new mic technique!
(13) THE JESUS & MARY CHAIN – Some Candy Talking (video)
The Velcro Underpants
(10) FIVE STAR – Find The Time
Another exhausting workout

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51106326@N00/sets/72157663004809635/

(31) PAUL MCCARTNEY – Press
(18) THE SMITHS – Panic
(6) STAN RIDGWAY – Camouflage
From William Shakespeare, Richard the Third, a small excerpt.
The line reads :
'He has come to open the purple testament of bleeding war.'
And for Private Stan Ridgeway, United States Marine Corps, the testament is closed.
Private Ridgeway has found . . . The Twilight Zone.

(1) CHRIS DE BLUUUUURGH – The Lady In Red
Slow daahnce for Fergie
(36) IT BITES – Calling All The Heroes (video / credits)
Call-ing all the Prog fans . . . Playing wiggly synth bit

Ah, Chart Music #24!

Phil_A

Seeing Camouflage made me remember Cassetteboy's excellent re-edit from way back. Woh ohhh ohhh ohhh, THANKS A LOT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3FlckwJb6E

daf

7 August 1986: Presenter: Mike 'A-wang-dang-a-rooga' Smith

(19) STATUS QUO – Red Sky
ZZ Quo
(5) BORIS GARDINER – I Want To Wake Up With You (video)
And throughout the night, I wanna hold your tights
(16) LULU – Shout
Oi - where's MY Smiths collaboration?
(11) THE SMITHS – Panic (video)
Hang the DJ

(34) PATTI LABELLE – Oh People
(31) PHIL FEARON – I Can Prove It
(23) LIONEL RICHIE – Dancing On The Ceiling
(2) SINITTA – So Macho
Fanfare for the Common Man
(1) CHRIS DE BURGH – The Lady In Red
"Mm Mmh Mmhhh" (it's live!!)
(12) GWEN GUTHRIE – Ain't Nothin' Goin' On But The Rent (video / credits)
The Refrigerator

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/90d7aad68faa95e2c4b1038ec20cca2920181027091243/119eb9
Better quality but edited version - https://we.tl/t-tgAnUiLvLv

gilbertharding

Quote from: daf on October 29, 2018, 12:38:35 PM
7 August 1986: Presenter: Mike 'A-wang-dang-a-rooga' Smith

"Mm Mmh Mmhhh" (it's live!!)

So anyway... there was a kid who lived down the road from me. He was in the year below me at Junior School, but he'd gone away to a boarding school instead of the local comp, like me. His dad was an RAF officer, but I got the idea he'd gone to this school because he was dyslexic, rather than any poshness. There were definitely OTHER RAF officer's children at my comp, put it like that (including his sister, now I think). Anyway, he was a great lad, and I looked forward to the holidays because we'd meet up and play records and that. He liked rock music, and he introduced me to AC DC (Dirty Deeds was his favourite album), The Sex Pistols, and Iron Maiden. I liked the Beatles and the Stones, but was very much attracted to this harder stuff... but I also remember him being slightly mocking about my purchase of the latest Eric Clapton album (Money and Cigarettes) which I'd bought on the strength of liking what I'd heard of Cream and the Yardbirds. A huge mistake, I soon realised.

Anyway, one holiday he proudly played me the records he'd really got into this term - which were mostly by this great singer songwriter with a nice line in laconic wit. Readers, it was Chris de Burgh. Songs I remember him playing me were Patricia the Stripper (recorded in 1975, it says here), and Anyone for Tennis. I tried to like it, but it really wasn't my cup of tea. I can't think that I stopped going round there STRAIGHT after that. It probably happened gradually. I was busier, with different friends. So was he, I expect. This was a few years before Lady in Red - which I expect to most people would have come as a complete surprise, but I'd had prior warning.

daf

Another version of the 7 August 1986 show has turned up - better quality (but missing the opening few minutes)
https://we.tl/t-ayjNBQEyiq

non capisco

Sinitta doing the playground 'poof' hand gesture on the line "Or a boy who thinks he's a girl" is a bit much, given the obvious target audience for that single.

I think my mum's 1986 observation about Boris Gardiner's 'I Want To Wake Up With You', "This is the most boring song I've ever heard", still holds water. It gets to number one as well. Lady In Red then that. Was mogadon accidentally introduced into the UK water supply in summer '86?

gilbertharding

Quote from: non capisco on October 30, 2018, 02:30:12 PM
I think my mum's 1986 observation about Boris Gardiner's 'I Want To Wake Up With You', "This is the most boring song I've ever heard", still holds water.

You just triggered a memory of mine from 1976 (it says here) of watching TotP with my big sister (she was 17 and I was 7) and her vociferous condemnation of the group Pussycat and their rendering of the song Mississippi as "The most boring song ever," and "Look! They look bored, and they're SINGING IT!"

The polar opposite of the time a few years later when she dived across the room to turn up the volume on The Stranglers.

daf

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 30, 2018, 03:26:28 PMtheir rendering of the song Mississippi as "The most boring song ever," and "Look! They look bored, and they're SINGING IT!"

I was certainly bored of it back when BBC4 showed 1976 - It had already been shown three times before it hit the top spot - and then hung on for another FOUR weeks - that sodding thing would not shift!

According to The League of Gentlemen, Crème Brulee's Les McQueen played on the demo of this (but was replaced for the proper version - it's a shit bizniz!)

daf

14 August 1986: Presenter: Simon Bates

(10) IT BITES – Calling All The Heroes
Double Cross
(18) LIONEL RICHIE – Dancing On The Ceiling (video)
Old Father Simes Technical Infodump
(4) ANITA DOBSON – Anyone Can Fall In Love
. . . with Brian May

(29) DOCTOR & THE MEDICS – Burn
(28) BRUCE HORNSBY & THE RANGE – The Way It Is
(27) PRINCE – Girls & Boys
(17) PHIL FEARON – I Can Prove It
Filthy Ron
With no kind of AIDS (!)
(22) JAKI GRAHAM – Breaking Away (video / credits)
Her name is Jaki, and she dances on a yacht

Norton Canes

There's something quite poignant about those breakers. Forlorn, almost. A flop follow-up, an MOR staple and one of the best singles from one of the best artists ever, all huddled together in the lower reaches of the top 30 and relegated to a few seconds of Pops time each.

gilbertharding

I actually went out and bought Burn by Doctor and the Medics.

I think they were sincerely enthusiastic about Freakbeat and Popsike. I was too young to know much about all that, but I knew I liked the sound.

I'm listening to it now, and it's over-produced shit full of synth strings, clearly - but could I have been expected to know better in 1986?

A few years later a friend of mine claimed to have shared a flat with one of the Medics, who by that stage was earning mega money off a songwriting credit on Vic Reeves' Mr Songwriter, which was on the B side of most of his hit singles. ##edit: Steve McGuire checks out: https://www.linkedin.com/in/steve-mcguire-76196325/?originalSubdomain=uk

Dr Rock

I think Burn is the second best song there after Prince. Was into Doctor & The Medics at the time and Steve was the one I was friendliest with, good fella. Didn't know he co-wrote Mr Songwriter though.

The album was a disappointment, they were great live and had used up a lot of the best songs on earlier singles and EPs, probably should have stuck them on the album anyway.

gilbertharding

There's a good chance you have also met my friend. It was before I knew him though.

Gulftastic

Fuck me. The top four in tonight's ep.

Anita Dobson, Sinnita, Chris De Burgh and Boris Gardiner.

The worst top 4 of all time?

daf

21 August 1986: Presenters: Bruno Brookes & Gary Davies

(25) DEPECHE MODE – A Question Of Time
Only 15 (!)
(11) PRINCE – Girls & Boys (video)
Paisley Park-Life!
(23) BRUCE HORNSBY & THE RANGE – The Way It Is
Biddle-Bom . . Biddle-Bom . . Biddle-Bom
(21) JANET JACKSON – When I Think Of You
(19) THE HUMAN LEAGUE – Human
(18) PETER CETERA – Glory Of Love
(15) JERMAINE STEWART – We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51106326@N00/sets/72157663038883735/

(12) MODERN TALKING – Brother Louie
Richly coated in the finest Bisto
(1) BORIS GARDINER – I Want To Wake Up With You (video)
Rohypnol Tipped Paper Plane
(28) THE COMMUNAЯDS – Don't Leave Me This Way (video / credits)
Feat. the Right Rev. Roger Royle

I always confused Jermaine Stewart and Jermaine Jackson. And what a crap title.

monkfromhavana

I have always loved "The Way It Is", probably one of the first records I was aware of. Hornsby can't deliver a vocal, performance-wise though, given by his performance.

*edit* I see Farley Jackmaster Funk has crossed into the Top 40 at no.36, which mean I think we'll get to see Daryl Pandy next week. House music arrives!

Vodka Margarine

I'm going to upset a dead legend apple cart here but 'Girls & Boys' is unpleasant, groin shrivelling, irritating dreck. Prince's back catalogue is oddly similar to The Cure's - much celebrated but all too frequently blighted with the occasional unfathomable rotten stinker.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on November 02, 2018, 09:40:05 PM

We Don't Have to Take our Clothes Off is a banger mate.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Vodka Margarine on November 03, 2018, 01:10:57 AM
I'm going to upset a dead legend apple cart here but 'Girls & Boys' is unpleasant, groin shrivelling, irritating dreck. Prince's back catalogue is oddly similar to The Cure's - much celebrated but all too frequently blighted with the occasional unfathomable rotten stinker.

Insanity. Girls & Boys is fantastic. We're approaching peak Prince at this point.

Jockice

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on November 02, 2018, 09:40:05 PM

We don't have to take our clothes off to have a bad time.

Camp Tramp

I really liked A Question Of Time, a song that had totally escaped me until I saw it yesterday.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Camp Tramp on November 03, 2018, 09:11:02 AM
I really liked A Question Of Time, a song that had totally escaped me until I saw it yesterday

Ah, that song. I totally obsessed over that song. It's the only real driving, up-tempo track on Black Celebration and I played it incessantly. I knew it had to be the album's third single release, there was no other sensible choice, so every time I played it I imagined how they were going to do the extended mixes - how the intro was going to go, which elements they would break down... and I was convinced a song this good had to be the one to finally propel the band to the top of the charts, whereupon they would deliver a glorious performance at the business end of Top Of The Pops.

It got all the way to number 17. Fuck.

Still, it's amazing. Their best synth riff since Just Can't Get Enough, but actually the lower one which underpins it is the one that gives it its real propulsive quality. There's melody all over the place, listen out for what else is played under the lyrics, little themes that are good enough to be the hook on any other record. And the dramatic pauses are a brilliant flourish.

It did bug me that they cut the track down from the album version, removing the atmospheric intro and ending it on a fade (as well as upping the tempo slightly). All in the name of radio friendliness, I guess. And though they didn't do any of the things I wanted with the extended version, engineer Phil Harding came up with a monster of a remix.

I wonder if that's the first use of the patented Gahan Spin on TOTP? He looks great. I like the brace of camera operators rather conspicuously capturing a moody shot of Martin.

Norton Canes

Anyway away from ver Mode, it's a great Pops. Two of my 'forlorn' breakers get the screen time they deserve! Though Hornsby looks like he'd rather be on a range. What were The Human League thinking? I mean, Jam and Lewis, but... it's hardly the Sheffield sound is it? An yeah we had a right laugh over BG's stalky video. IIRC John Peel is rather complimentary about I Want To Wake Up... next week, shame he didn't apply the same standards to this vid that he did to Addicted To Love.

Camp Tramp

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 03, 2018, 10:20:43 AM
Ah, that song. I totally obsessed over that song. It's the only real driving, up-tempo track on Black Celebration and I played it incessantly. I knew it had to be the album's third single release, there was no other sensible choice, so every time I played it I imagined how they were going to do the extended mixes - how the intro was going to go, which elements they would break down... and I was convinced a song this good had to be the one to finally propel the band to the top of the charts, whereupon they would deliver a glorious performance at the business end of Top Of The Pops.

It got all the way to number 17. Fuck.

Still, it's amazing. Their best synth riff since Just Can't Get Enough, but actually the lower one which underpins it is the one that gives it its real propulsive quality. There's melody all over the place, listen out for what else is played under the lyrics, little themes that are good enough to be the hook on any other record. And the dramatic pauses are a brilliant flourish.

It did bug me that they cut the track down from the album version, removing the atmospheric intro and ending it on a fade (as well as upping the tempo slightly). All in the name of radio friendliness, I guess. And though they didn't do any of the things I wanted with the extended version, engineer Phil Harding came up with a monster of a remix.

I wonder if that's the first use of the patented Gahan Spin on TOTP? He looks great. I like the brace of camera operators rather conspicuously capturing a moody shot of Martin.

There is a lot going on in that song, it hooks me from the start, it is that segment which stays in the head. The video with the babies is also memorable.
Will just have to stop myself from playing it to death.