Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:21:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Topic: Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Two.

Started by Dr Rock, August 26, 2018, 02:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gilbertharding

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on October 04, 2019, 02:28:45 PM
I'd never heard that Richard Coles/HIV story before either - not surprised wee Jimmy wanted nothing to do with him for years.

It's a strange boast, I know - but although I *had* heard that story (it came out a while ago), I hated him WELL before that, the smug flabby hypocrite wanker. I mean look at him. Look at him.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on October 04, 2019, 03:10:05 PM
Did Phillip Schofield ever present it?

Without checking, I'm going to say 'yes'.

Of course, technically, he was a Radio 1 DJ, probably at the time.

Was Andy Crane ever a Radio 1 jock? Is this the first time a non-jockey ever presented ver Pops?

DrGreggles

daf

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 04, 2019, 03:52:25 PM
Without checking, I'm going to say 'yes'.

Just been through my TOTP rolodex, and I'm going to say 'no'.

He did present the Smash Hits Awards though.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 04, 2019, 03:50:47 PM
It's a strange boast, I know - but although I *had* heard that story (it came out a while ago), I hated him WELL before that, the smug flabby hypocrite wanker. I mean look at him. Look at him.
It might make you laugh, then, to know that according to Wiki he fucked up his brother's life with a careless passing remark in his autobiography.

Norton Canes

daf

28 July 1988: Presenters: Nicky Campbell & Gary Davies

(26) SHAKIN' STEVENS – Feel The Need In Me
Leapy
(22) BVSMP – I Need You (video)
Creepy
(30) SIOUXSIE & THE BANSHEES – Peek-A-Boo
Freaky
- - - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(37) VOICE OF THE BEEHIVE – I Say Nothing
(36) ALL ABOUT EVE – Martha's Harbour
(34) STEVEN DANTE – I'm Too Scared
(39) JULIA FORDHAM – Happy Ever After
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(23) PAT BENATAR – All Fired Up (video)
Smoky
(10) YAZZ & THE PLASTIC POPULATION – The Only Way Is Up
Squelchy

(1) GLENN MEDEIROS – Nothing's Gonna Change My Love For You
Soupy
(32) FAIRGROUND ATTRACTION – Find My Love (video / credits)
Gypsy

Chriddof

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on October 04, 2019, 06:03:19 PM
It might make you laugh, then, to know that according to Wiki he fucked up his brother's life with a careless passing remark in his autobiography.

I looked this up as I hadn't heard of it:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/may/12/cambridgeshire-deputy-police-commissioner-facing-calls-to-resign-over-spy-allegations

QuoteAndy Coles, the deputy police and crime commissioner for Cambridgeshire and Peterborough, has been accused of deceiving a 19-year-old political activist into forming a sexual relationship while he was an undercover police officer in the 1990s.

The woman is taking legal action against the police, alleging that Coles groomed and manipulated her.

His past as an undercover police officer began to unravel following an apparent indiscretion by his younger brother, the broadcaster and former pop star the Reverend Richard Coles.

In his autobiography published in 2014, the broadcaster made a passing reference to his brother living a double life as an undercover police officer.

A member of the public who had read the book tipped off campaigners at the Undercover Research Group, a network of activists examining the work of police spies.

Investigations by the campaigners and the Guardian have pieced together how Andy Coles spent four years infiltrating animal rights groups.

QuoteColes's brother, a former member of the Communards who later became a priest, wrote in his 2014 autobiography that his older sibling's double life involved infiltrating "some sinister organisation while his wife and baby daughter made do with unpredictable visits ... He looked like he had just walked out of the woods, his hair long and shaggy, with a straggly beard, his ears rattling with piercings."

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on October 04, 2019, 06:03:19 PM

On QI he complained that someone on twitter keeps hashtagging him as #twatvicar, but on looking at twitter later that evening only one person had ever said it, and that was someone posting during the show saying something to the effect of "Hang on, nobody's called him twatvicar, I'm the first."

sweeper

Quote from: daf on October 04, 2019, 10:01:33 PM

Just sublime, this. One of the best songs and performances I've ever seen on the Pops.

Jockice

Quote from: sweeper on October 05, 2019, 09:23:50 AM
Just sublime, this. One of the best songs and performances I've ever seen on the Pops.

Brilliant, wasn't it?

Norton Canes

Slightly spoiled by those frequent cuts to the video. I'm guessing that was because the layered vocals made it obvious (as if it wasn't obvious enough in every other mimed performance on the show by every band ever) that Siouxsie wasn't singing live.

sweeper

Or is there something too seedy provocative about it, that just made the producers nervous?

Consider this in a world of Eddi (the head) Reader and Tracey Thorn, and you can get a sense of it. Siouxsie and to some extent Yazz feel like flash grenades rolled into a scene where AOR/MOR is starting to choke the life from the charts.

What the fuck beat is Tracey Thorn dancing to, anyway?

(36) ALL ABOUT EVE – Martha's Harbour

Next week will be interesting

Norton Canes

Quote from: sweeper on October 05, 2019, 12:01:15 PM
Or is there something too seedy provocative about it, that just made the producers nervous?

Not sure about that, given the performances we've seen from Wendy James, Kim Wilde and Sabrina recently.

buzby

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 28, 2019, 11:37:13 PM
While I was watching the last one, iPlayer rolled onto a Pet Shop Boys totp (totp2 1998) compilation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0008k8b/top-of-the-pops-pet-shop-boys
i've just been listening to this after watching the latest episode and had a''"Fuck my hat!" moment - the gated snare sample on Heart is from True Faith! They must have got it from Stephen Hague's SP12 while working with him on Actually.

The Other Two would later repay the compliment in a photoshoot when promoting 'The Other Two And You:

buzby

Quote from: daf on October 04, 2019, 10:01:33 PM
28 July 1988: Presenters: Nicky Campbell & Gary Davies
As odious as he is, I have to give Campbell some credit for the 'Bouncing down the charts - Sabrina!' quip in the chart rundown.
(26) SHAKIN' STEVENS – Feel The Need In Me
SYNTH BRASS OVERLOAD (from a Roland D50 instead of a DX7 this time), Shaky's cover of this Northern Soul classic is almost as embarrassing as his Hi-NRG gay disco hit A Little Boogie Woogie
(22) BVSMP – I Need You (video)
Eurgh, pre-pubescent rap with cringeworthy lyrics
Oh my, Kim Wilde and Siouxsie in consecutive episodes!
She's not quite as much the 'ice queen' as she has been on previous appearances (she is way more aggressive and her usual 'snap you like a twig' self in the video), but for Peepshow she went all-in on the Louise Brooks look and I was bowled over (pardon the pun). As sweeper said, this is a cracking song, though the performance is maybe a bit toned down compared to the video and lyrical content ('flaccid ego in your hand', indeed). Still easily the best thing in the episode though.

The song is built around a reversed drums and brass tracks from the master of their cover of Jahn Cale's Gun which they had recorded for the Through The Looking Glass covers album a year earlier (which like Peepshow had also been produced with Mike Hedges). While recording the track, Hedges flipped the reels over which played it in reverse and everybody thought it sounded amazing, so they set about making something of it, initially as a B-side for the 'The Passenger' single from the album.

Budgie overlaid another drum track on top of the reversed drums which results in a unique-sounding combination of forward and reverse reverb. The accordion and guitar tracks were added, and then Siouxsie came up with the lyrics and vocal melody, with alternate lines being sung into different microphones to add to the discordant effect. It took about a day and a half to record from start to finish, and the end result was considered too good for a B-side (She's Cuckoo was used instead), so it was held back for their next album.

The MTV Club performance tops the TOTP one really - Siouxsie going full Berlin Cabaret and even miming the alternate microphones effect (the interview afterwards is cringeworthy though).

the video was the first is a string of collaborations with photographer Peter Scammell and featured choreography by Toby Sedgwick (who later collaborated with Danny Boyle on 28 Days Later and the 2012 Olympics opening ceremony)
- - - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(34) STEVEN DANTE – I'm Too Scared
Attempting to build on his featured vocals slot on Jellybean's #13 hit The Real Thing the previous year, this would stall at #34 and he would never trouble the Top 40 again.
(23) PAT BENATAR – All Fired Up (video)
Groo - more FM Rock sludge. Love Is A Battlefield seems a long time ago.
(10) YAZZ & THE PLASTIC POPULATION – The Only Way Is Up
Err, this was recorded with Coldcut too - they just didn't put their name on it. Yazz always struck me as an ideal candidate to play a Replicant, she just looks a bit too perfect.
(32) FAIRGROUND ATTRACTION – Find My Love (video / credits)
This piece of fuck-all (which blatantly rips off Save The Last Dance For Me) would get to #7, for Christ's sake!

buzby

Quote from: sweeper on October 05, 2019, 12:01:15 PM
Quote from: Norton Canes on October 05, 2019, 10:03:23 AM
Slightly spoiled by those frequent cuts to the video. I'm guessing that was because the layered vocals made it obvious (as if it wasn't obvious enough in every other mimed performance on the show by every band ever) that Siouxsie wasn't singing live.
The 'cutting away to the video' thing seems to be done to artists who don't play completely to the pretence of the 'mimed live performance' rules. They did it to The Timelords too, and it's not like there wasn't anything going on onstage (e.g. lonely Nik Kershaw and his Jupiter 8).
Consider this in a world of Eddi (the head) Reader and Tracey Thorn, and you can get a sense of it. Siouxsie and to some extent Yazz feel like flash grenades rolled into a scene where AOR/MOR is starting to choke the life from the charts.
This was the late 80s resurgence of 'Sophisti-Pop', spearheaded by the likes of Swing Out Sister that allowed all the early 80s artists like Sade and EBTG who had gone off to the US or had been ploughing away at their lonely furrow (most of the rest of their Idlewild album doesn't sound like I Don't Want To Talk About It) a second bite at the chart cherry. Whatever you think of the 'Sophisti'pop' genre, Fairground 'fucking' Attraction and their twee folky rubbish don't really belong in that bracket.

sweeper

Yeah, perhaps. To me, they all seem like they've been factory made specifically to keep ungodly thoughts out of Simon Mayo's head. Kim Wilde seems sweet and nice, like a store manager at Freeman Hardy and Willis. EBTG are as pleasant as drowning in the bath. Eddi Reader is a mildly grating infant school teacher. They all feel especially harmless.

God only knows what black arts Siouxsie is channelling. All I know is I've never wanted to be a top hat more in my life.

daf

4 August 1988: Presenters: Mark Goodier & Janice Long (Ladies Night Special!!)

(2) KYLIE MINOGUE – The Loco-Motion
The Shagging-Motion

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51106326@N00/sets/72157678693570996

(14) FAIRGROUND ATTRACTION – Find My Love
Chunky Bass
(25) VOICE OF THE BEEHIVE – I Say Nothing
Pink Rockers
(4) KIM WILDE – You Came
The Second Coming
(17) THE FUNKY WORM – Hustle (To The Music)
Funky Bass
(22) ALL ABOUT EVE – Martha's Harbour
All About Eeeek!!!
(1) YAZZ & THE PLASTIC POPULATION – The Only Way Is Up
Girl's On Top
(6) S EXPRESS – Superfly Guy (video / credits)
It was your fault!!

kalowski

Quote from: daf on October 12, 2019, 12:00:00 PM
4 August 1988: Presenters: Mark Goodier & Janice Long (Ladies Night Special!!)

(22) ALL ABOUT EVE – Martha's Harbour
All About Eeeek!!!
I'm assuming this is the famous moment. I remember it well from the time.

Quote from: sweeper on October 05, 2019, 09:23:50 AM

Yes. That MTV performance as well. Christ.

daf

Quick heads up that there's only one showing of tonight's show on TV - so set the video for 7:30!

No late night or weekend repeat for some reason - though friday's edition does gets another outing on saturday night/sunday morning)

daf

11 August 1988: Presenters: Bruno Brookes & Liz Kershaw

(26) MICA PARIS FEATURING COURTNEY PINE – Like Dreamers Do
Rainhood or Mint Imperials
(15) ALL ABOUT EVE – Martha's Harbour
Live Maid
(17) BREATHE – Hands To Heaven
School Disco Snogger
(6) IRON MAIDEN – The Evil That Men Do (video)
Hewn . . . into the Living Rock . . . of Stowne 'Enge
(23) TANITA TIKARAM – Good Tradition
Papa's got a Squeezebox
(24) BROTHER BEYOND – The Harder I Try
Brotown Chartbusters

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51106326@N00/sets/72157676878481622

(1) YAZZ & THE PLASTIC POPULATION – The Only Way Is Up (video)
Aciiiieeeeeeed!!!
(4) BVSMP – I Need You (video / credits)
I'll serenade you with a bag of space raiders

DrGreggles

I had this episode on VHS for ages. Probably still do somewhere.
There must have been a TV show (Red Dwarf maybe) I was trying to get recorded onto one tape and my sister recorded TOTP on there without me knowing until it was too late, so this episode was always in the middle.

I also remember my mates taking the piss out of me at this time because I'd started listening to hip hop and therefore I must have liked that incredibly wet BVSMP song.
For the record, I didn't.

Egyptian Feast

Bruno Brookes was wearing an incredibly shit jacket and Liz Kershaw would make me flee any room she stepped into. Another winning presenter combination.

DrGreggles

Egyptian Feast

I think I'm numbed to Bates now, but he did freak me out when he started showing up in the repeats, manhandling female audience members with a manic expression.

The truly toxic presenter combo for me at the moment would be Mike Read and Steve Wright, or as they're known in my house, Fuck Off and FUCK OFF.

sweeper

Quote from: daf on October 17, 2019, 10:10:54 PM
11 August 1988: Presenters: Bruno Brookes & Liz Kershaw

(6) IRON MAIDEN – The Evil That Men Do (video)

Huge tune. Such a shame they eschewed the pops and forced one of their boring concert videos on us instead. I suppose the Metal Hammer demographic was always their focus.

gilbertharding

Ah, Bruno:

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 22, 2018, 02:26:10 PM
A friend of mine used to do sound engineering at the weekend. Installing extra PA equipment in nightclubs quite often - arriving in the afternoon with a van full of TurboSound cabinets and amplifiers for special events. One such afternoon a courier arrived, and my mate had to sign for what turned out to be a beer crate with some carpet nailed to the top. Instructions to place it on the stage.

Turned out to be the special box that night's special host stood on when he invited lovely ladies from the crowd onto the stage, so that no-one would notice what a short arsed little runt he was when he stood next to them.

Ladies and Gentlemen! Mister Bruno Trevor Brooks!!