Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:42:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Topic: Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Two.

Started by Dr Rock, August 26, 2018, 02:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gilbertharding

Quote from: DrGreggles on October 18, 2019, 12:11:09 AM
Could've been worse...

There's a fantastic screengrab on the Chartmusic Podcast facebook page which seems to be Simon Bates' sexface. Thus:

Someone observed that the woman on Simes's left looks like a young Jean Marsh. Al replied that she was clearly 'working downstairs' in that shot.

Norton Canes

That Tanita Tikaram appearance could've been shown as a live performance on Later... With Jools Holland last night without looking the slightest bit anachronistic.

I'll leave others to decide if that's a good or bad thing.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Norton Canes on October 18, 2019, 01:43:37 PM
That Tanita Tikaram appearance could've been shown as a live performance on Later... With Jools Holland last night without looking the slightest bit anachronistic.

I'll leave others to decide if that's a good or bad thing.

Alternatively, if Jools Holland on last night's edition of Later had repeatedly referred to 'ladies' instead of '...amazing female artists', it could have been broadcast in 1988 without looking the slightest bit anacronistic.

kaprisky

Was it Jockice or someone, who regaled us with tales of seeing Brother Beyond at Wembley Arena? And that Breathe song was one I can sort of remember from the time without knowing who actually performed it!

Mr Banlon

That Mica Paris/Courtney Pine thing was like a Muzak version of Steeley Dan.

gilbertharding

At least they all (especially Brookes) have the decency to look ashamed.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on October 18, 2019, 03:09:42 PM
Brookes and Kershaw gave us this monstrosity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gpoiKmErgo

My mam bought that and played it for some reason. Had no idea who they were at the time.

Jockice

Quote from: kaprisky on October 18, 2019, 02:54:19 PM
Was it Jockice or someone, who regaled us with tales of seeing Brother Beyond at Wembley Arena? And that Breathe song was one I can sort of remember from the time without knowing who actually performed it!

Not at Wembley Arena. At Sheffield City Hall. Twice. In under a year. May even have been six months. During which time their star had well and truly risen and fallen. The first time the place was packed with screaming girls (and me as the sole male. I was in my early 20s at the time but even friends - including female ones - of the same age wouldn't come with me).

The second time I only went because my news editor at the time had a teenage daughter so therefore thought he was down with the kids. She had apparently told him they were still hip. I suspect she was taking the piss. So I went. The crowd was probably a couple of hundred in a venue which can hold two and a half thousand. It was embarrassing. So much so that the paper didn't even print my review, which didn't really have a go at the band but the music industry for building them up and knocking them down so quickly. They only had hits because the singer was a pretty boy and they won an auction or something to have Stock, Aitken and Waterman write a couple of songs for them. Everything they did before and after that was crap and unsuccessful.

My abiding memory of that day though was that I had to go down to the venue that afternoon to pick something up at a time when BB were supposedly rehearsing. What I saw was the drummer sitting on the edge of the stage with his head in his hands. I swear if it had been a cliff he'd have chucked himself off it. Sheer desolation.

I saw Breathe too. At Manchester Apollo supporting Belinda Carlisle. A night memorable for being the day after my birthday so I was hungover, my mate and I only having one penny more in change than the taxi fare to the venue and the driver throwing it at us as he drove off and us missing our last train back to Sheffield so Adrian ended up ringing up a friend who lived in Oldham to pick us up so we could stay at her family's house. Her dad chucked us out first thing in the morning though. Oh yeah and I'd accidentally put on a pair of too-tight underpants that day (probably something to do with being hungover) and they were really digging into me.

I haven't the slightest recollection of what Breathe were like except that the singer was wearing a waistcoat. Belinda was okay though.

Dr Rock

I met the singer out of Brother Beyond a couple of times he was lovely.

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: buzby on October 06, 2019, 10:56:03 AM
i've just been listening to this after watching the latest episode and had a''"Fuck my hat!" moment - the gated snare sample on Heart is from True Faith! They must have got it from Stephen Hague's SP12 while working with him on Actually.

The Other Two would later repay the compliment in a photoshoot when promoting 'The Other Two And You:

Wow, very well spotted, I think you're right. This might be reaching a bit but is it the same kick drum as well, albeit a much drier version? It's more obvious in the longer version of heart with the drum pattern right at the beginning with the synth toms. What do you reckon?

Jockice

Just watched the episode from last night and the singer of Breathe was indeed wearing a waistcoat. Now I haven't seen or even thought about them for around three decades so I presume that was their USP. Or maybe it's just me who remembers him for that.

Meanwhile, wasn't that Helen O'Hara on the fiddle with Tanita? Or Helen Bevington as her family call her. I know this because I used to work in the mid-80s with her cousin who told me that Kevin Rowland had made her change her surname to sound more Irish. And he also told me the story about them meeting at a bus stop was bollocks. She auditioned.

For all I knew at the time Pete could have made the whole thing up but I found out years later it was actually true. To my eternal shame when I interviewed Rowland I never called him out on that.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Jockice on October 18, 2019, 10:08:11 PMFor all I knew at the time Pete could have made the whole thing up but I found out years later it was actually true. To my eternal shame when I interviewed Rowland I never called him out on that.
Rowland was guilty of over-mythologising nonsense from the very early days of Dexys, and seemed to be humoured for it, so I'm not sure you should feel too bad.

daf

18 August 1988: Presenters: Simon Mayo & Mike Read

(31) AZTEC CAMERA – Working In A Goldmine
It Ain't Half Hot Mum
(2) KYLIE MINOGUE – The Loco-Motion (video)
Oh Doctor Beeching!

(19) CHRIS REA – On The Beach '88
Dad's Army
- - - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(30) STATUS QUO – Running All Over The World
(28) VAN HALEN – When It's Love
(24) BIG COUNTRY – King Of Emotion
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(7) FAIRGROUND ATTRACTION – Find My Love
Birds in The Bush
(17) JULIO IGLESIAS & STEVIE WONDER – My Love (video)
'Allo 'Allo! (Bad Moaning!)
(1) YAZZ & THE PLASTIC POPULATION – The Only Way Is Up
Are You Being Served?  (Kitchenware and food . . . Going up)
(22) ROBBIE ROBERTSON – Somewhere Down The Crazy River (video / credits)
Bye-de-Bye!

Jockice

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on October 18, 2019, 10:43:52 PM
Rowland was guilty of over-mythologising nonsense from the very early days of Dexys, and seemed to be humoured for it, so I'm not sure you should feel too bad.

He knew exactly where the young soul rebels were too.

Jockice

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 18, 2019, 08:18:21 PM
I met the singer out of Brother Beyond a couple of times he was lovely.

Didn't he appear on the Voice or Britain's Got Talent a couple of years ago and got turned down?

Jockice

Quote from: Jockice on October 19, 2019, 12:43:16 PM
Didn't he appear on the Voice or Britain's Got Talent a couple of years ago and got turned down?

He did. The Voice in 2015. And then there's this. I actually thought he was gay but he's since married a woman. Those bloody metrosexual types.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/former-star-admits-kerb-crawling-6975414.html

Sebastian Cobb

That Locomotion graffiti backdrop is a flagrant Soul Train ripoff.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Jockice on October 19, 2019, 12:46:42 PM
He did. The Voice in 2015. And then there's this. I actually thought he was gay but he's since married a woman. Those bloody metrosexual types.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/former-star-admits-kerb-crawling-6975414.html

He seemed massively gay to me.

July 1988 wasn't bad at all (much better than I remember from that year) but August has been the absolute pits, as bad a month as we've ever seen if not worse. It's as though pop music has given up at this point, although I recognize great things were developing at the margins and in US black music.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on October 18, 2019, 10:43:52 PM

And Janet just wanted to help him too....

Jockice

Quote from: Jockice on October 18, 2019, 06:40:59 PM
The second time I only went because my news editor at the time had a teenage daughter so therefore thought he was down with the kids.

This, lest we forget, is the man who claimed in an editorial meeting that our paper (an English local one) had 'discovered' New Kids On The Block, because he got me to write a piece on them. When they were at number three in the singles chart.

Nothing to do with this thread really. Except that it still amuses me to this day.

The Culture Bunker

What with Chris Rea beginning the period where he was really popular here (I know he'd been doing well in Europe for years) and a certain Robert Mortimer starting his comedy career, is this about the point where Middlesbrough was most culturally relevant?

non capisco

Chris Rea and his band looked like a right rogue's gallery. Anton Chigurh on bass and Maradona circa 1994 on keyboards. Not since the glory days of the members of The Maisonettes that were't the female backing singers have I seen an act on Top Of The Pops that so heavily exuded the vibe:-  'bailiffs'.

You know the feeling when you spend all weekend caring for an ill parent and think to yourself "I really shouldn't squander the finite time I have left on this orb, look what happens at the end" then you come home and the first thing you do is put a brew on and sit and watch Mica Paris and Courtney Pine, Breathe, Brother pissing Beyond and Tanita aresing Tikaram? 1988, you are mugging me off, son.

buzby

Quote from: Jockice on October 18, 2019, 10:08:11 PM
Meanwhile, wasn't that Helen O'Hara on the fiddle with Tanita? Or Helen Bevington as her family call her.
It was indeed - after Dexy's broke up in 1987 she did session work, and was the violinist on Tikaram's debut album Ancient Heart. She was asked to join her backing band and toured with her for a couple of years. They got back in touch in 2015 and she's now part of Tikaram's band again.

Jockice

Quote from: buzby on October 21, 2019, 09:13:24 AM
It was indeed - after Dexy's broke up in 1987 she did session work, and was the violinist on Tikaram's debut album Ancient Heart. She was asked to join her backing band and toured with her for a couple of years. They got back in touch in 2015 and she's now part of Tikaram's band again.

I used to work with her cousin you know. Who I found out this weekend now runs a wildlife sanctuary in the Shetlands. Blimey!

boki

Norton Canes

Quote from: daf on October 19, 2019, 11:57:11 AM
(31) AZTEC CAMERA – Working In A Goldmine

That's a dampsquibtastically dull follow-up to Somewhere In My Heart. I take it Love was not laden with pop gems.

(19) CHRIS REA – On The Beach '88

Does any phrase conjure up a more terrifying vision of sheer desolation than '88 remix'?

(7) FAIRGROUND ATTRACTION – Find My Love

The intro sounds like a flamenco version of Depeche Mode's Strangleove

(1) YAZZ & THE PLASTIC POPULATION – The Only Way Is Up

Denim cut-off trim taken to Lord Percy's ruff levels of absurdity

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Norton Canes on October 21, 2019, 01:26:55 PMDoes any phrase conjure up a more terrifying vision of sheer desolation than '88 remix'?
Maybe so, but I believe it's actually a totally re-recorded version (despite the original only being two years old) for Rea's 'New Light Through Old Windows' album.

On the subject of remixes and Chris Rea, though, I am quite fond of the La Version Française of 'Josephine'.

Quote from: Norton Canes on October 21, 2019, 01:26:55 PM
That's a dampsquibtastically dull follow-up to Somewhere In My Heart. I take it Love was not laden with pop gems.
It's certainly my least favourite of the Aztec Camera albums I've heard - and 'Working in a Goldmine' was probably the best they could manage for something to throw at the charts as a follow up to such a big hit. Thankfully, Roddy would get his mojo back.

pigamus

For years, whenever Eve of the War came on the radio, I was confused as to why it didn't sound like I remembered. I only recently found it it was because I had the Ben Liebrand remix taped off Annie Nightingale's request show. I think that's 1989 though.