Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:56:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Topic: Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Two.

Started by Dr Rock, August 26, 2018, 02:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Nationwide stereo sigh-mull-casts though!
(shut up you lot!)

Sebastian Cobb

Did anyone spot the crew guy moving about in what appears to be a golf buggy?

<< he did

The aforementioned Rakim (of Eric B &...) did an interesting mix/version of 'Concrete Jungle'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b8fVtb8tjE

Norton Canes

Quote from: daf on October 25, 2019, 10:23:51 PM
1 September 1988: Presenters: Mark Goodier & Steve Wright (Stereo Simulcast Special!)

I like the way they take so much trouble giving the frequencies to a decimal place. This would have been before the age of push-button digital tuning so .1 or 2 of a MHz would equal about a quarter turn of a tuning dial. They might as well have said "Go to 98 and just twiddle it around a bit".

buzby

Quote from: Norton Canes on October 28, 2019, 10:12:57 AM
I like the way they take so much trouble giving the frequencies to a decimal place. This would have been before the age of push-button digital tuning so .1 or 2 of a MHz would equal about a quarter turn of a tuning dial. They might as well have said "Go to 98 and just twiddle it around a bit".
Nope. Digital PLL controlled FM tuners had been around since the end of the 70s, and by the mid 80s had begun to trickle down in to the cheaper end. The Marantz ST151 digital FM tuner came out in 1985, for instance, as did the Philips F258 'stack system' that incorporated the FT145 digital tuner:

Digital tuners were also becoming more common in car radios at that time too. Ford had offered the ESRT 32PS (made by Grundig) as an option on it's cars as far back as 1981:

(it was a £292 option at that time).

In the 1988 Tandy catalogue over on radiomuseum.org, they boast of the fact that all of their car stereos feature PLL Tuning:

Catalogue Trousers

Call me a curmudgeon, but fuck my donkey I despise Running All Over The World. Put some fucking effort in, you lazy wankers.

Gulftastic

Aren't we about a year away from Quo bitching about Radio One not playing them? Was there some kind of court case, or has my memory invented that?

Chriddof

I think that was around the mid 90s, post Bannister's clearout of pigwankers and during the heyday of Britpop Radio 1.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on October 29, 2019, 02:42:48 AM
Call me a curmudgeon, but fuck my donkey I despise Running All Over The World. Put some fucking effort in, you lazy wankers.

My sentiments exactly. 'Everybody Wants To Run The World' is a stinker too.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Gulftastic on October 29, 2019, 05:41:31 AM
Aren't we about a year away from Quo bitching about Radio One not playing them? Was there some kind of court case, or has my memory invented that?

1996: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/but-radio-1-ban-is-no-fun-for-status-quo-1339625.html

Sebastian Cobb

Kin 'ell, I forgot all about Barrymore doing singles.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Gulftastic on October 29, 2019, 05:41:31 AM

It was 1996 - when Bannister's new regime decided that Quo teaming up with The Beach Boys for a version of 'Fun Fun Fun' didn't represent their target demographic.
And because it was fucking shit.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 29, 2019, 03:15:02 PM
Kin 'ell, I forgot all about Barrymore doing singles.

I remember he kept trying to make 'Everybody's Doing The Crab' a thing. It didn't work.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Gulftastic on October 29, 2019, 08:05:28 PM
I remember he kept trying to make 'Everybody's Doing The Crab' a thing. It didn't work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46ht1Uei42M

prim itivo
7 years ago
Brilliant track he can bum me to death if he makes more like this.

daf

8 September 1988: Presenters: Andy Crane & Mike Read

(28) MARC ALMOND – Tears Run Rings
Le Marge, ya?
(15) GLORIA ESTEFAN & MIAMI SOUND MACHINE – Anything For You (video)
A singer with a Spanish B***side
(23) SPAGNA – Every Girl & Boy
Dandelion & Birdpop
- - - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(26) ANTHRAX – Make Me Laugh
(25) BILL MEDLEY – He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother
(19) THE PROCLAIMERS – I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(16) MICHAEL JACKSON – Another Part Of Me (video)
. . . got sliced off
(8) YELLO – The Race (video)
Jumbo Spanner

(1) PHIL COLLINS – Groovy Kind Of Love
Oldsound Chartbuster
(13) JANE WIEDLIN – Rush Hour (video / credits)
Click-Click 'n' Click-Click . . YEAH!

The Culture Bunker

I was pretty taken with Formula 1 racing at this time, and thus "The Race" seemed like a great song at the time after seeing the video on (presumably) the Chart Show one Saturday. I kind of miss being that young (seven) and liking things through such simple connections.

dallasman

I've never seen an episode of "The Tops Of The Pops", but I've been enjoying these "The Story of..." documentaries on YouTube. Is it known when the 1989 one will be broadcast? (Probably covered before, but it's a long thread...)

Two crap covers, a sign of a weak era. The Bill Medley version of the Hollies classic drags like fuck.

buzby

Quote from: Better Midlands on October 25, 2019, 12:48:40 AM
Another Stephen Hague production, I wonder if "that" snare sound is in there somewhere.
No True Faith snare present - the drums at least started off with Brian Smith (ex-Pop Group and The slits, and at the time drummer for PiL) playing live. The 'Fur' album the single was taken from was recorded at Advision Studios in London with, as you say, Hague producing, over a period of 2 years (so Rush Hour might have even been recorded before True Faith). The Kick Horns brass section also appear on it (previously mentioned on here for their work on The Communards' Red), and backing vocals came from session superstar Tessa Niles alongside Simon Climie, with Rob Fisher playing keyboards.The album track Song Of The Factory allegedly contains a message from Hague having a dig at his arch enemy Shep Pettibone in morse code.

Given the album's title track being a comment on the fur trade and Wiedlin's animal rights activism, it then seems a bit contradictory for the video for Rush Hour to then feature her swimming with captive trained dolphins. I bet that didn't go down so well with PETA.

Quote from: Norton Canes on October 25, 2019, 09:49:15 AM
Thought I caught a glimpse of John Shuttleworth in that video but on second thoughts it might have been Patrick 'National Theatre of Brent' Barlow..?
It's not Shuttleworth and i don't think it's Patrick Barlow either - he's older than Barlow was in 1988. I do think the producer sat in front of him was Anthony 'Nescafe couple/Giles from Buffy' Head though, or possibly his brother Murray?

Quote from: daf on October 25, 2019, 10:23:51 PM
1 September 1988: Presenters: Mark Goodier & Steve Wright (Stereo Simulcast Special!)

(18) LEVEL 42 – Heaven In My Hands
Lindup's got a Yamaha KX88 master keyboard and inevitable DX7 - the Prophet 5 and Emulator II are now a distant memory. King is still plugging away with his signature JayDee Supernatural after that Status headless blip.
(12) A-HA – Touchy
Poor Mags has been reduced to a Yamaha KX5 keytar.
(6) BOMB THE BASS – Don't Make Me Wait
Holy solarisation effect Batman! Simenon's giving a Roland Octapad some abuse. It's decent enough ,but the double A side Megablast as well as being an uncredited ripoff of Assault On Precinct 13 is probably best remembered for it's use as the theme to The Bitmap Brothers Amiga/ST shooter Xenon 2: Megablast

(1) YAZZ & THE PLASTIC POPULATION – The Only Way Is Up (video)
Filmed at London's tamest warehouse party. Did you notice that in the Coldcut inserts at the start there is some 'scratching' (Coldcut famously couldn't scratch) using a KLF Communications record? The label design and time frame would put it as either the B side Club Mix of Disco 2000's One Love Nation,  the B side Club Mix of The KLF's Burn The Beat, or the B side Minimal Mix of Doctorin The Tardis.

Sebastian Cobb

It might be uncredited on the single, but on Into the Dragon it's down as Megablast (Hip Hop On Precinct 13).

buzby

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 01, 2019, 12:09:28 AM
It might be uncredited on the single, but on Into the Dragon it's down as Megablast (Hip Hop On Precinct 13).
I meant uncredited in that Carpenter doesn't have a writing credit. Simenon had the brass balls to put himself down as the sole composer. The Splash Band, whose disco cover of The End he got the idea off, at least credited Carpenter.

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah that's a bit rum.

I get the impression the splash band did their stuff as a homage. They've done whole lp's of Carpenter covers.

boki

Quote from: daf on October 31, 2019, 09:23:17 PM
(16) MICHAEL JACKSON – Another Part Of Me (video)

I used to find it hilarious to sing "Another fart and wee" to this. 

Fucking hell, that's pathetic even by fourteen-year-old boy standards.  And yet I remember.

Norton Canes

daf

Noticed that there's no repeat for the 9pm edition

It's the same for next week too - the friday 9pm edition is also only shown once on TV.

daf

15 September 1988: Presenters: Simon Mayo & Peter Powell

(4) BROS – I Quit
Unit 3 + 2
(17) THE COMMODORES – Easy (video)
The Haircut Sketch
(14) THE PROCLAIMERS – I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)
Bros

- - - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(29) THE PASADENAS – Riding On A Train
(25) COLDCUT FEATURING JUNIOR REID – Stop This Crazy Thing
(22) SALT 'N' PEPA – Shake Your Thang (It's Your Thing)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(13) JASON DONOVAN – Nothing Can Divide Us (video)
Bring on the giant SAW!
(2) THE HOLLIES – He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother
He ain't a Holly, he's a Toddler!
(1) PHIL COLLINS – Groovy Kind Of Love
A Sweaty Kind of Philtrum
(20) INNER CITY – Big Fun (video / credits)
WAARGH! Who Let Adrian Juste back in!