Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:33:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Topic: Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Two.

Started by Dr Rock, August 26, 2018, 02:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: daf on November 01, 2019, 12:35:16 PM
Noticed that there's no repeat for the 9pm edition

It's the same for next week too - the friday 9pm edition is also only shown once on TV.

It would piss me off that they put spoilers in the listings

Egyptian Feast

I liked it when Peter got a faceful of confetti at the end and some got in his mouth. Good night and good love.

Adrian Juste has a head on him like something I'd kill on sight in an RPG even if it was friendly.

I really liked that Inner City song at the end. Didn't remember that one from the time, or that Bros shit, but thanks to my older sister I still know every word of that Jason Donovan song. I accompanied her to his gig at the Point in Dublin the year after, my first proper concert (and I saw him and Big Fun at the Radio 1 roadshow in Derry before that come to think of it fuck it's all flooding back). I used to say it was Def Leppard 'in the round' in 1992 with my older brother, but it feels better to speak the truth nowadays. He was alright, can't remember much other than him coming out on a skateboard for the encore. Very cool.

She stuck by him for years, well after the dumper, had every single and album he ever released, went to see all the musicals he was in - apparently he was a very good Frank N Furter - but she seemed to completely lose interest in him at some point around the turn of the century, perhaps after he went bald.

Phil_A

Quote from: buzby on October 31, 2019, 11:49:57 PM
It's not Shuttleworth and i don't think it's Patrick Barlow either - he's older than Barlow was in 1988. I do think the producer sat in front of him was Anthony 'Nescafe couple/Giles from Buffy' Head though, or possibly his brother Murray?
He

Murray Head is Tony Head's brother? Mind blown!

Of course looking at this photo I can see the resemblance:

daf

22 September 1988: Presenters: Nicky Campbell & Andy Crane

(9) PET SHOP BOYS – Domino Dancing
Cameraman Crouching

(3) WOMACK & WOMACK – Teardrops
Goodybags Grooving
(4) BILL WITHERS – Lovely Day (Sunshine Mix)
Horrible Hey
- - - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(30) TRANSVISION VAMP – Revolution Baby
(24) WHITNEY HOUSTON – One Moment In Time
(18) BON JOVI – Bad Medicine
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(16) RICK ASTLEY – She Wants To Dance With Me
Musical Genius
(1) THE HOLLIES – He Ain't Heavy He's My Brother
Keen Mr Mustard
(20) THE PASADENAS – Riding On A Train (video / credits)
Heritage Line

buzby

Quote from: daf on October 31, 2019, 09:23:17 PM
8 September 1988: Presenters: Andy Crane & Mike Read
Aha! The inspiration for Mike Smash's teeth is finally found! Read looks like a throwback to 1981.
(28) MARC ALMOND – Tears Run Rings
A typically restrained performance from Almond - top quiff action too. I really like this song, even if it commits the cardinal sin of being unsingable live by having the last word of the chorus being held over the start of the verse.
(8) YELLO – The Race (video)
This is great - I bought the single at the time. The 13-minute Club Mix is a blinder, as is Derrick May's percussion-heavy The Pits mix. The B-side instrumental dub mix Another Race became a go-to staple for TV trailer and incidental music beds too.

The video features clips culled from Diamond P Sports' And They Walked Away US and HAVOC! European motor racing crash compilation tapes (I had almost the full HAVOC! series - some were pulled from distribution due to having fatal accidents in them), including the infamous flip of Manfred Winkelhock's F2 car at the Nurburgring in 1980.

Quote from: daf on November 01, 2019, 10:36:22 PM
15 September 1988: Presenters: Simon Mayo & Peter Powell
Thank christ that smug twat is finally throwing the towel in.
(17) THE COMMODORES – Easy (video)
[Re-released of the back of it's use in the Halifax CardCash TV adverts
(14) THE PROCLAIMERS – I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)
The record that unexpectedly gave them a top 3 hit on the Billboard chart in 1993 when it was used in the Benny & Joon soundtrack.
(25) COLDCUT FEATURING JUNIOR REID – Stop This Crazy Thing
Hmmm. It's not terrible, but....
(22) SALT 'N' PEPA – Shake Your Thang (It's Your Thing)
Hey, it's Kid 'n' Play with Salt 'N' Pepa. They were old friends, having all worked in Sears' call centre together befroe their music careers took off (Martin Lawrence was another of their co-workers) They play cops in the full video, which is like a mini-movie, and also perform their signature kick-step moves with the ladies.
(2) THE HOLLIES – He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother
Another advert re-issue - this time for the launch campaign of Miller Lite in the UK (the Bill Medley version was recorded for the soundtrack to Rambo 3). Rather oddly, the band miem to a newly-recorded version of the song as they performed it in 1988 (it had to the pitched down as Allan Clarke could no longer hit the high notes).

The single release had an interesting history - the original 1969 mono single mix was first re-released in 1969 as the first issue on EMI's Past Masters series with blue-printed injection moulded labels as catalogue number PMS1001. When the ad agency licenced it for Miller, they asked EMI for 5000 copies to give away to pub landlords as promo material, so EMI just dusted off the PMS1001 master plates and knocked off a repressing for them. The agency them packed them in a colour printed gatefold sleeve:

When the ad generated demand for a full re-release EMI initially put the mono mix out again as EMI74 with silver injection-moulded labels again, before finally relenting and and cutting a new master from the stereo album mix and issued it under the same catalogue number but with paper labels

(20) INNER CITY – Big Fun (video / credits)
Absolute banger, and one of the first uses of the transposed sampled chord technique that became a common trope of early dance music.

sweeper

(14) THE PROCLAIMERS – I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)

Only just coming to terms with how terrified I've always been of the Proclaimers. Beyond the twin thing, it's the whole proclaiming that sets me on edge. I've always felt like I'm backing into a corner, incapable of judging the tone of their enquiry. 'Is that your 50p on the pool table, aye? Are you up next, son?'

Norton Canes

15 September 1988: Presenters: Simon Mayo & Peter Powell

(4) BROS – I Quit

Very noble of Matt to move to the back to give Luke more time in shot. I wonder how many tantrums and histrionics led to that decision?

(13) JASON DONOVAN – Nothing Can Divide Us (video)
Bring on the giant SAW!

To get rid of that mullet hopefully

(20) INNER CITY – Big Fun (video / credits)
WAARGH! Who Let Adrian Juste back in!

I know, the state of him, he looks like... OH MY GOD THERE'S CARON KEATING

A reminder that the greatest episode of TOTP ever is on the way

Quote from: daf on November 02, 2019, 11:47:16 AM

The track of which Neil Tennant notoriously said, upon hearing it had entered the charts at number 9, that it marked the end of their 'imperial phase'. Although I would contend that they uniquely enjoyed a second imperial phase at the time of the Very releases. Anyway, they've made some pretty spectacular sartorial choices here.

daf

Quote from: buzby on November 02, 2019, 12:39:34 PM
When the ad generated demand for a full re-release EMI initially put the mono mix out again

quite right too!

Quotebefore finally relenting and and cutting a new master from the stereo album mix and issued it under the same catalogue number but with paper labels

Boo!

MONO BALLS FOREVER!

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 02, 2019, 01:49:13 PM
The track of which Neil Tennant notoriously said, upon hearing it had entered the charts at number 9, that it marked the end of their 'imperial phase'. Although I would contend that they uniquely enjoyed a second imperial phase at the time of the Very releases. Anyway, they've made some pretty spectacular sartorial choices here.
Absolutely travesty of justice. Possibly my favourite PSB track. Great video as well.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 02, 2019, 01:49:13 PM
I know, the state of him, he looks like... OH MY GOD THERE'S CARON KEATING

A reminder that the greatest episode of TOTP ever is on the way

Is it Petula Clark related?

Gulftastic

Rick Astley singing that song makes me long for Vic Reeves coming on shouting 'Way-hey!'

Norton Canes

Gulftastic

3 identikit SAW loads of shit tonight. Their reign of terror in full swing now.

daf

29 September 1988: Presenters: Gary Davies & Mark Goodier

(38) SINITTA – I Don't Believe In Miracles
You Sexy Thing
(3) U2 – Desire (video)
Postcards From The Edge
(29) HAZELL DEAN – Turn It Into Love
Clappers Delight
(24) ALEXANDER O'NEAL – Fake '88
(20) DURAN DURAN – I Don't Want Your Love
(19) ERASURE – A Little Respect
(8) WHITNEY HOUSTON – One Moment In Time (video)
No Time For Losers
(28) BANANARAMA – Love, Truth & Honesty
Yo! Bum Ruff the Show
The Allan Clarke Diaries : Volume 4

(37) T'PAU – Secret Garden (video / credits)
Maybe She's Amazed

Norton Canes

Quote from: daf on November 07, 2019, 09:19:48 PM

[Insert deleterious malady here]-tier episode. Although, what could they do? Looking at rising acts in that top 40 they could have booked for studio performances... Wee Papa Girl Rappers are on their way, Transvision Vamp stalled at #30, Duran Duran perhaps, Erasure presumably not available as they do A Little Respect in a future episode... that's about it, apart from any US acts who happened to be around. Desolation.

(29) HAZELL DEAN – Turn It Into Love

Fuck off Hazell Dean, every time that photo of her looking like someone's grinning nan turns up in the top 40 countdown I realise with crushing inevitability that she's going to appear in the studio the following week

Is it just me or does anyone else get the chilling impression that every time Allan Clarke sings to camera he's about to threaten to kneecap someone?

(37) T'PAU – Secret Garden (video / credits)

It comes to something when the highlight of a TOTP episode is Carol Decker dressed as a sexy secretary. Hang on... did that traffic light just go from red to amber and green?

Natnar

I'm sure i read something that Kylie got really pissed off because someone at PWL had passed over releasing her version of Turn It Into Love as a single in the UK only for Hazell's version to come out a few weeks later.

daf

6 October 1988: Presenters: Simon Mayo & Richard Skinner

(13) THE PASADENAS – Riding On A Train
Everybody's doing the same-old dance, now
(11) BOBBY MCFERRIN – Don't Worry, Be Happy (video)
Yeah - pull yourself together, you crackpots!
(17) THE WEE PAPA GIRL RAPPERS – Wee Rule
TYny Twins
(36) SPEAR OF DESTINY – So In Love With You
(35) THE BEATMASTERS & PP ARNOLD – Burn It Up
(32) KIM WILDE – Never Trust A Stranger 
(12) ERASURE – A Little Respect
Big Respect!
(7) RICK ASTLEY – She Wants To Dance With Me
Write da feem toon, sing da feem toon

(1) U2 – Desire (video)
Bon(o) in the USA
(14) DURAN DURAN – I Don't Want Your Love (video / credits)
T'Plug

Chriddof

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 08, 2019, 09:33:00 AM
Is it just me or does anyone else get the chilling impression that every time Allan Clarke sings to camera he's about to threaten to kneecap someone?

I find "He Ain't Heavy..." chilling in general. I think it's because of that Miller Lite advert which Buzby mentioned a while back, but that nobody commented on. It genuinely creeped me out a bit as a kid, with its eerie post-apocalyptic eyeless Blues Brothers band performing with what appeared to be mummified equipment. Although this was admittedly offset by the way it's oddly intercut with scenes of some smug Ross Kemp-resembling bellend titting about the place.

Also nearly 20 years had passed since its original release (1969), and in 1988 a lot of stuff from that time just felt ancient and strange to me in a way that stuff from 1999 absolutely does not now.

buzby

Quote from: daf on November 02, 2019, 11:47:16 AM
FUCK OFF CAMPBELL
Even Chris is reduced to a Yamaha KX5 now.
(4) BILL WITHERS – Lovely Day (Sunshine Mix)
Horrible Hey
It's JJ Jeczalik's sample of one of his girlfriend's school pupils, Pilkington Glass heir Camilla Pilkington-Smith, ripped off from Close (To The Edit). If only JJ hadn't left it in the clear on the original record we would have been spared it on this (and much later on, Firestarter). We also get the ubiquitous scratched 'Ahh' sampled from the B-side of Fab 5 Freddy's Change The Beat in the chorus as well. This totally unnecessary remix was brought to you by Ben Liebrand, who was becoming the S/A/W of cheesy house remixes at this point.

Poor Grandpa Bill looks like he's just wandered in off the street on his way to the corner shop for some Golden Virginia for his pipe.
(16) RICK ASTLEY – She Wants To Dance With Me
Musical Genius
Surely they do protest too much about him writing this? I guess people were getting cynical about the PWL sausage factory already by this point.

Quote from: daf on November 07, 2019, 09:19:48 PM

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 08, 2019, 09:33:00 AM
[Insert deleterious malady here]-tier episode. Although, what could they do? Looking at rising acts in that top 40 they could have booked for studio performances... Wee Papa Girl Rappers are on their way, Transvision Vamp stalled at #30, Duran Duran perhaps, Erasure presumably not available as they do A Little Respect in a future episode... that's about it, apart from any US acts who happened to be around. Desolation.
It really is a weapons-grade shit episode. Three identikit S/A/W productions (the Hazell Dean one even uses the same Linn tom rundown intro as Astley's Together Forever). I wouldn't be surprised if Pete offered all his acts as a one-stop shop to fill the episode.
It comes to something when the highlight of a TOTP episode is Carol Decker dressed as a sexy secretary. Hang on... did that traffic light just go from red to amber and green?
The T'Pau video over the credits really is a highlight. Our Carol clearly had a ball making it, and looks great too (though as you say, the traffic light sequencing really needs looking at). Although Carol has said the song is about being yourself and is a big favourite amongst her gay fans, the lyrics always seemed to be very thinly-veiled innuendo to me.

I would also put forward the these from the Breakers as the only other redeeming features of this episode;
(24) ALEXANDER O'NEAL – Fake '88
A bit of spit and polish by Keith 'KC' Cohen and  Steve Beltran on this single that originally stalled at #33 in June the previous year. Their subtle update to Jam & Lewis' original is far more sympathetic than Liebrand's clattering monstrosity on Lovely Day.
(19) ERASURE – A Little Respect
One of my favourite videos ever. Peter Christopherson and the band decided to take the 'literal interpretation' concept to it's ultimate limit with a visual pun for each line. My favourite bits as the three variations for 'That you give me no soul'), and also Vince's subtle dig at DM's increasing up their own arseness on the final 'I hear you calling'. There's some quality corpsing in there too.

Pauline Walnuts

That videos like one of those ghasty videos* people used to do for youtube., only great!

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEag0ss9pFU

daf

13 October 1988: Presenters: Bruno Brookes & Gary Davies (Ladies Night Special!!)

(16) THE BEATMASTERS & PP ARNOLD – Burn It Up
Peep Purple
(31) SABRINA – All Of Me
Pink Pounder
(19) T'PAU – Secret Garden
Orange Crush
(29) ENYA – Orinico Flow
(21) THE CHRISTIANS – Harvest For The World
(20) D MOB FEATURING GARY HAISMAN – We Call It Acieed

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51106326@N00/sets/72157678699635946

(15) KIM WILDE – Never Trust A Stranger
Back in Black
(25) SINITTA – I Don't Believe In Miracles
Strutting the Mustard
(1) WHITNEY HOUSTON – One Moment In Time (video)
Going For Gold
(23) BANANARAMA – Love, Truth & Honesty
White Lies (Don't Don't Do it)

Norton Canes

Just how did A Little Respect not spend a month at the top of the chart? 1988, what were you thinking?

Quote from: Chriddof on November 08, 2019, 11:21:43 PM
I find "He Ain't Heavy..." chilling in general. I think it's because of that Miller Lite advert which Buzby mentioned a while back, but that nobody commented on. It genuinely creeped me out a bit as a kid, with its eerie post-apocalyptic eyeless Blues Brothers band performing with what appeared to be mummified equipment. Although this was admittedly offset by the way it's oddly intercut with scenes of some smug Ross Kemp-resembling bellend titting about the place.

Also nearly 20 years had passed since its original release (1969), and in 1988 a lot of stuff from that time just felt ancient and strange to me in a way that stuff from 1999 absolutely does not now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvJyZ9fm73M

This advert?

mate

That's Rifleman Harris from the Sharpes

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 09, 2019, 05:41:15 PM
Just how did A Little Respect not spend a month at the top of the chart? 1988, what were you thinking?

Definitely. There's some good stuff around at the moment (not U2) but whenever that pops up in an episode it sticks out like a sore thumb. I'd forgotten about the video as well, didn't know Sleazy was behind it. I was so pissed off they only showed a snatch of it.

Norton Canes

It was the third single off The Innocents, so perhaps a lot of people had it on the album already. The first two singles got to 6 and 11, so perhaps 4 was if anything an over-achievement. Also, perhaps they fact they had a flamboyant gay singer denied them the sort of appeal they would have had as a straight-up pop act?

I don't know, I'm still annoyed they didn't manage to take one of their own songs to the top of the charts.

Chriddof

Quote from: A Hat Like That on November 10, 2019, 12:40:18 PM
mate

That's Rifleman Harris from the Sharpes

I never bothered watching Sharpe as military dramas simply don't appeal to me. And surely you can't deny that even if the actor in question may be a perfectly nice man in real life, the character he is portraying in that advert is the very epitome of an Eighties cheeky wideboy twat. The sort of archetype that British advertising of that decade ran off of like fossil fuels; the supposedly lovable lark who's more aggravating than aspirational.

And he really does look like Ross Kemp with hair in that ad, come on.

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 10, 2019, 03:15:33 PM
It was the third single off The Innocents, so perhaps a lot of people had it on the album already. The first two singles got to 6 and 11, so perhaps 4 was if anything an over-achievement. Also, perhaps they fact they had a flamboyant gay singer denied them the sort of appeal they would have had as a straight-up pop act?

I don't know, I'm still annoyed they didn't manage to take one of their own songs to the top of the charts.

Why didn't they release it as the first single from the album?

Norton Canes

Not sure. Sometimes bands like to premier their albums with a bit of a curve ball, I guess. No problem with them going for Ship Of Fools though, it's an equally excellent song.

Elsewhere... Don't Worry, Be Happy - what an egregious sentiment this song conatins, and how distressing to watch Robin Williams of all people attempting to express it. On the bright side however it prompted me to watch a lot of Bill Irwin clips on YouTube, he's just fantastic.