Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:58:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Topic: Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Two.

Started by Dr Rock, August 26, 2018, 02:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiddleRabbit

My mother and father in law fucking love Chris De Burgh.  Normally I just think, "Oh, they're just bland people into bland music," and I don't really think about it any more than that.  Well, no, actually, I didn't understand how anybody can be into anybody who only had two hit records, one of which was a Christmas song.  Seeing "Missing You" on this - at number sodding 3, for fuck's sake - made me realise that he must have been really popular and had a fair few hit singles.  None of which made any impact on me at all at the time - I was 17 in 1988.

But, my God, it's just vapid, isn't it?  Deacon Blue used to annoy me, especially that girl vocalising at the end of every other line, but Chris De Burgh?  Fuck me, what sort of cunts decide to go out with the intention of spending money on that?

I didn't think it was possible to have any sort of reaction to somebody like Chris De Burgh, but now I know better, I feel slightly worse, if anything.

PS: The kid who won Stars In Their Eyes impersonating Chris De Burgh used to live two doors down from my Mum and Dad.  There's a field behind their house where loads of old people walk their dogs and he was known in the area - before the Stars In Their Eyes thing - for hiding behind the settee in the living room and jumping out from behind it, naked as the day he was born when particularly old people walked past their window. 

daf

Quote from: MiddleRabbit on December 01, 2019, 09:41:25 PM
he must have been really popular

Quote from: wikiDe Burgh has sold over 45 million albums worldwide.

Probably not worrying about how he's going to pay for the Ferryman anymore

the

Quote from: MiddleRabbit on December 01, 2019, 09:41:25 PMBut, my God, it's just vapid, isn't it?  Deacon Blue used to annoy me, especially that girl vocalising at the end of every other line, but Chris De Burgh?  Fuck me, what sort of cunts decide to go out with the intention of spending money on that?

The funniest critique of Chris De Burgh I've heard is on Room 101 with Donna McPhail (segment starts at 23:20), particularly the run-through of his chart placings.

Weren't there TWO Chris De Burghs on Kelly-era Stars With Eyes (which is sad enough), and also didn't one of them have to sing Missing You when they got through to the final? (As they couldn't perform the same song twice.)

Fortunately Daniel Lopatin aka. Oneohtrix Point Never managed to find a crumb of value in The Lady In Red by slowing it down and looping it off-bar, making it otherwordly and inadvertently making Vaporwave explode in the process:

Nobody Here

Bonus instrumental version (made by me)

Bonus pisstake (also made by me)

Chriddof

Can I ask you where you got that subtitle font for that instrumental version video (which is great, btw)? I've been trying to find a font that looks like the 1980s BBC / Channel 4 on-screen subtitles for ages, and that seems to fit the bill.

the

Quote from: Chriddof on December 02, 2019, 12:50:03 AMCan I ask you where you got that subtitle font for that instrumental version video (which is great, btw)? I've been trying to find a font that looks like the 1980s BBC / Channel 4 on-screen subtitles for ages, and that seems to fit the bill.

It's not available as a font AFAIK, but we're talking about the TKST subtitling system.

When I made the vid I cut the caption together from bits of the 'Plessis-Belliéres' grab on that page (which was an earlier prototype of the subtitling). (Since making the vid I have sourced a load of quite clear grabs from a programme that contained subtitles and used those to make a more accurate/pleasing t-shirt design of the 'nobody here' subtitle.)

If any one person was going to create a TKST font it'd be Dave Jeffery, but this is his only comment on the system.

Norton Canes

Quote from: daf on November 30, 2019, 12:45:33 PM
(12) SALT 'N' PEPA – Twist & Shout (video / credits)

In my head I had somehow managed to conflate this with Deacon Blue's song of the same title and it was only when the chorus arrived I realised this was a Beatles cover. Shame.

Quote from: daf on December 01, 2019, 12:24:15 PM
(8) DEACON BLUE – Real Gone Kid

I know it's been alluded to upthread but the performance of Ricky Ross is almost Ian Curtis-esque in its intensity, and completely at odds with the levity of the song.

non capisco

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 02, 2019, 10:17:52 AM
I know it's been alluded to upthread but the performance of Ricky Ross is almost Ian Curtis-esque in its intensity, and completely at odds with the levity of the song.

There's a moment in the first performance of this when he's doing either the "wooh-oohs" or the "maybe now baby"s in the guitar player's face and then grins a twisted smirk of pure malevolence just before the shot fades.

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 23, 2019, 03:04:26 PM
Always a nice tricky addition to a number ones round when compiling a pop quiz.

This version is power ballad glory. Also, top hats should be a thing.

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 02, 2019, 10:17:52 AM
In my head I had somehow managed to conflate this with Deacon Blue's song of the same title and it was only when the chorus arrived I realised this was a Beatles cover. Shame.

really like the video for this.

Quote(19) BOMB THE BASS FEATURING MAUREEN – I Say A Little Prayer
Real, too Real

also enjoyed this

ALSO enjoyed the preamble showing where the new Radio 1 transmitters were.

Quote(25) HITHOUSE – Jack To The Sound Of The Underground (video / credits)
Oo-weee, you Bugger!

gr8 video.

Also, that Don Johnson vs Barbara Streisand song that's pinging around the lower reaches. How on earth did that come about?

buzby

Quote from: A Hat Like That on December 02, 2019, 08:58:27 PM
Also, that Don Johnson vs Barbara Streisand song that's pinging around the lower reaches. How on earth did that come about?
They were an item between the end of 1986 and the end of 1988. Johnson had recorded an album in 1985 for Columbia off the back of his Miami Vice success (which spawned a Top 5 hit in the US with Heartbeat - it never made the Top 40 here).

Streisand began recording what was to become her Til I Loved You album at the end of 1986. She was also signed to Columbia, and let it be known to them that she wanted to record a duet with Johnson. He was realistic about his singing ability and turned it down initially, but was  persuaded into accepting the offer. They first met during the recording sessions and started a relationship that ended not long after the album's release in October 1988.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: buzby on December 02, 2019, 10:56:15 PM
They were an item between the end of 1986 and the end of 1988. Johnson had recorded an album in 1985 for Columbia off the back of his Miami Vice success (which spawned a Top 5 hit in the US with Heartbeat - it never made the Top 40 here).

He did a longform video for the Heartbeat album that hung around a dusty shelf in my local video store for years. I was almost tempted to rent it just to see why it had earned an 18 certificate, but never bothered. Sadly it doesn't seem to be on YouTube.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on December 03, 2019, 02:17:54 PM
He did a longform video for the Heartbeat album that hung around a dusty shelf in my local video store for years. I was almost tempted to rent it just to see why it had earned an 18 certificate, but never bothered. Sadly it doesn't seem to be on YouTube.
Wonder if he nicked the idea from Belouis Some, or vice versa?

'Heartbeat' featured in GTAV, and it was a close run thing between that and Eddie Murphy's 'Party All The Time' over which was most laughably bad. Comedian obviously won, for my money.

buzby

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on December 03, 2019, 02:26:02 PM
Quote from: Egyptian Feast on December 03, 2019, 02:17:54 PM
Wonder if he nicked the idea from Belouis Some, or vice versa?
It was an hour-long film (the promo video for the single includes clips from it, as does this video for the B-side Can't Take Your Memory, ) that was a co-production between HBO and his label CBS. HBO had exclusive rights to it for two months before CBS did the home video release, and it was put on heavy rotation during that time. Regarding the 18 certificate, the January 1987 review from the LA Times sheds some light:
Debuting on Home Box Office Saturday at 10 p.m., the hour-long music video incorporates all the songs from Johnson's CBS Records "Heartbeat" album. It loosely tells the tale of a documentary film maker (Johnson) who is near death after getting too close to a bomb in an unnamed Central American country.

He re-experiences his life, including one steamy sequence with actress Lori Singer, to the beat of "Heartbeat," no dialogue necessary.
This was almost 2 years after the video for Belouis Some's 'Imagination'. Godley & Creme's video for Duran Duran's Girls On Film from 1981 beat them both.

The Culture Bunker

Interesting info as always, Buzby. But I think I prefer The The's 'Infected', as much as that didn't have too much of a narrative thread between sequences (and I seem to remember young Matt getting a bit naughty with a lady of the night in that).

Johnboy

I've started watching these again after I realised how fascinating they are on so many levels

Norton Canes

Astley looks so bored. And who can blame him.

Norton Canes

Norton Canes

Ha that might just be the best TOTP performance ever

Norton Canes

Norton Canes

Oh, Caron Keating
Your time was so fleeting
I love your enchanting Northern Irish lilt
It's a shame that by cancer you were kilt

Gulftastic

Cliff wearing a Jacko style jacket.

And Erasure were really putting out banger after banger at this time in their career.

buzby

Quote from: Gulftastic on December 06, 2019, 09:50:10 PM
Oh, and 'Downtown '88'? Fuck right off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rny5QeCaWG0

As good as Peter Slaghuis ('Hithouse' was the english translation of his surname) usually was, that remix is absolute toilet. The JAMs' appropriation of Downtown from a year earlier is miles better.

daf

Quote from: Gulftastic on December 06, 2019, 09:50:10 PM
Oh, and 'Downtown '88'? Fuck right off.

That synth bass-line was shocking - pretty much all bum notes!

daf

1 December 1988: Presenters: Bruno Brookes & Mike Read

(12) RICK ASTLEY – Take Me To Your Heart
Le Willows Massive in da house!! Woot! Woot! BLAAARRRRP!!
(8) MICHAEL JACKSON – Smooth Criminal (video)
Dancing in Plain Sight
- - - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(24) GEORGE MICHAEL – Kissing A Fool
(16) ANGRY ANDERSON – Suddenly
(7) CLIFF RICHARD – Mistletoe & Wine
(6) PHIL COLLINS – Two Hearts
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(4) PET SHOP BOYS – Left To My Own Devices
I'm Gonna Leave This Party Now

(2) BROS – Cat Among The Pigeons
Paws For Thought
(1) ROBIN BECK – The First Time
Mike Harding on Bass
(18) HUMANOID – Stakker Humanoid (+ credits)
Nice one, Top one, HAVIN' IT!!!

DrGreggles

Quote from: daf on December 06, 2019, 10:54:46 PM
(4) PET SHOP BOYS – Left To My Own Devices

Their best song.
There, I've said it.

Jockice

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 06, 2019, 11:12:57 PM
Their best song.
There, I've said it.

Possibly their second-best song. After Jealousy.