Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:08:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Topic: Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Two.

Started by Dr Rock, August 26, 2018, 02:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: the on December 07, 2019, 10:41:24 AM
Called it ;)

I remember :)

Have you ever checked his Hithouse Records label? There's some bangers on there - especially

Problem House - Party People https://youtu.be/GKO80ZqgbkU
Mainx - 88 To Piano https://youtu.be/4qtm0jS2GgY

https://www.discogs.com/label/5141-Hithouse-Records

kaprisky

Please tell me that Kokomo makes an appearance somewhere along the line! Beach Boys '88 must be as bleak as remix '88.

I remember Downtown '88 being a huge, well, meme in the Broom Cupboard.

Anyway, I caught the next episode in a post-boxing drunken state.

The horror. The horror. The horror.

daf

Quote from: kaprisky on December 08, 2019, 11:04:27 AM
Please tell me that Kokomo makes an appearance somewhere along the line! Beach Boys '88 must be as bleak as remix '88.

Just had a check, and amazingly it never shows up (I'd somehow got the idea it got to number 1!!).

daf

8 December 1988: Presenters: Nicky Campbell & Caron Keating

(20) STATUS QUO – Burning Bridges (On & Off & On Again)
A-CHUG-A-CHUG-A-CHUG-A-CHUG . . .
(3) ANGRY ANDERSON – Suddenly
Especially For Them
(6) PHIL COLLINS – Two Hearts (video)
Motown Chartbuster Volume 2
- - - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(24) PETULA CLARK – Downtown '88
(23) NEW ORDER – Fine Time
(22) INNER CITY – Good Life
(7) ERASURE – Stop
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(2) KYLIE MINOGUE & JASON DONOVAN – Especially For You (video)
Two Hams

(1) CLIFF RICHARD – Mistletoe & Wine
A Time for Snoggin' and-a Boozin'
(15) BANANARAMA – Nathan Jones (+ credits)
The Four Toffs

DrGreggles

Quote from: daf on December 08, 2019, 12:11:03 PM
Just had a check, and amazingly it never shows up (I'd somehow got the idea it got to number 1!!).

#1 in the States - and their biggest* selling single!

*possibly 2nd biggest

Dr Rock

Gulftastic

Mike Love is such an old wanker in the video.

Some info on Beach Boys TOTP

http://missingepisodes.proboards.com/thread/10158/beach-boys-on-totp

Last appearance 1972, but Beach Boys Gold by Gidea Park got an appearance in 1981.

Quote from: daf on December 08, 2019, 12:37:58 PM
8 December 1988: Presenters: Nicky Campbell & Caron Keating

(20) STATUS QUO – Burning Bridges (On & Off & On Again)
A-CHUG-A-CHUG-A-CHUG-A-CHUG . . .
(3) ANGRY ANDERSON – Suddenly
Especially For Them
(6) PHIL COLLINS – Two Hearts (video)
Motown Chartbuster Volume 2
- - - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(24) PETULA CLARK – Downtown '88
(23) NEW ORDER – Fine Time
(22) INNER CITY – Good Life
(7) ERASURE – Stop
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(2) KYLIE MINOGUE & JASON DONOVAN – Especially For You (video)
Two Hams

(1) CLIFF RICHARD – Mistletoe & Wine
A Time for Snoggin' and-a Boozin'
(15) BANANARAMA – Nathan Jones (+ credits)
The Four Toffs

I think this is a recent nadir.

Norton Canes

It's not good, although there are three of the year's best songs together in the Breakers.

Did like the thought of Quo cheekily re-using that 'hit' in 6 years time.

monkfromhavana

I've always had a soft spot for Angry Anderson's "Suddenly" though.

Norton Canes

I don't think I've ever seen anyone look so happy to be performing in the TOTP studio

Does anyone know how the BBC4 ratings are holding up now that we are into a fallow chart period?

Norton Canes

Not sure we're in a 'fallow' chart period exactly. Don't see why there shouldn't be as many people tuning in to see SAW acts as did to see ska acts. The 'two shows on a Friday' thing seems to be permanent, so perhaps the channel did have an eye on consolidating ratings.

Norton Canes

Oh, I think it's worth posting a link to the toadally bonkers B-side of Left To My Own Devices

'The Sound Of The Atom Splitting' was created on the spot as a compliment to the a-side of the single 'Left To My Own Devices', specifically the line 'Debussy to a disco beat'

DrGreggles

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 10, 2019, 09:24:45 AM
Oh, I think it's worth posting a link to the toadally bonkers B-side of Left To My Own Devices

'The Sound Of The Atom Splitting' was created on the spot as a compliment to the a-side of the single 'Left To My Own Devices', specifically the line 'Debussy to a disco beat'

Part of the reason why I suggested it as the best PSB single.
The 12 inch version is another.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 09, 2019, 11:20:44 AM
It's not good, although there are three of the year's best songs together in the Breakers.

I hope you don't mean Good Life, which is is near the top of my makes me want to smash my head with a hammer to make it stop list.

Norton Canes

Aw! Proper Saunderson uplifting techno/house banger.

buzby

Quote from: daf on December 01, 2019, 12:24:15 PM
24 November 1988: Presenters: Andy Crane & Simon Mayo

(21) TIFFANY – Radio Romance
I think we're in FM Stereo Now
Singing live. After the debacle of that live version of I Saw Him Standing There, this does at least show she can sing, as long as the song is suited to her (very narrow) range. She is also noticably croacky and hoarse in this performance, so it's possible the promotional work for her second album (of which this was the debut single) was taking it's toll. Earlier in the year she had also been involved in a court battle between her parents and her manager over control of her career and finances - she applied to the court to get 'emanipated minor' status but was unsuccessful, but was allowed to move out to live with her grandmother.
(25) HITHOUSE – Jack To The Sound Of The Underground (video / credits)
As mentioned upthread, this is another product of Peter 'Dutch Mix' Slaghuis ('Hithouse' being the english translation of his surname). He was inspired by the success of M/A/R/R/S and Coldcut to step up from remixing other people's tracks to making his own, very much in the same sample collage style (this track even used some of the same samples, including the 'Say kids, what time is it?' opening from Howdy Doody that featured on Coldcut's debut). over a framework that was largely made up from Clivillés & Cole's remix of Natalie Cole's Pink Cadillac.

The theme for  the Mary Whitehouse Experience is actually a cover version of this track made by Simon Brint using the same samples Slaghuis had used. The track was also an early beneficiary of an Acid remix, produced by Slaghuis himself.

Quote from: daf on December 06, 2019, 10:54:46 PM
1 December 1988: Presenters: Bruno Brookes & Mike Read

(12) RICK ASTLEY – Take Me To Your Heart
First appearance of a double Roland D50 stack, once the sole preserve of the DX7.
(4) PET SHOP BOYS – Left To My Own Devices
I'm Gonna Leave This Party Now
Being slightly presumptive there, daf - The KLF's failed follow-up to Doctorin' The Tardis and 'tribute' to this PSB track would not be released for another 7 months. At this point they would have just got back from the disastrous first 6 weeks filming of The White Room in Spain, and realising that they would need to write and release the soundtrack album for it first to generate publicity and the funds to complete the film. Given that, it's easy to imagine themselves sat in Trancentral looking for inspiration when 'Left To My Own Devices' drifts out of the radio's speakers. in fact, the PSB influence audibly extends across most of the tracks of the original 1989 version of The White Room OST.

Unfortunately, after ploughing their remaining funds into the recording of the album, and then promoting the Kylie Said To Jason single only for it to be soundly ignored by everybody and not even chart, the release of the album (in it's original form) and the film were both abandoned. However, the 'Kylie Said Trance' remix produced for the single's B'side and the other more club-oriented remixes produced for the remix and re-remix 12" singles gave them another avenue to pursue. The other B-side of the single was another track produced for the film soundtrack, Madrugada Eterna, became the prototype for 'ambient house' and would eventually lead to the recording of Chill Out.

Despite being a commercial failure, the 'homage' did not go unnoticed by the PSBs who would later ask The KLF to remix So Hard in 1990, which predictably became a complete reworking of the track, including new vocals recorded by Tennant.

As for the actual PSB track that led to all this, I'd have to agree that despite how good those first two albums were, this is definitely their best single. It's sad to see Chris with just the KX5 keytar again though - those monitors behind them were just begging to be showing their Fairlight Page R animation!
(18) HUMANOID – Stakker Humanoid (+ credits)
Cor, some gear here - Dougans has a  DX7 with TB303 perched atop , Roland SH-101 and Yamaha RX7 drum machine out front, Roland Alpha Juno 1 and Atari 1040STF running C-Lab Creator (with it's distinctive dongle cartridge sticking out the side, so a genuine copy!). Dougan's mate Jon Goslan (whose squat he was staying in while in London for the TOTP appearance) is 'playing' a McHall-Jones Rhythm Stick, a prototype guitar-shaped MIDI controller that went through a variety of guises, including the Dynacord Rhythm Stick and ultimately The Jamma without ever catching on.

daf

Quote from: buzby on December 10, 2019, 07:39:43 PM
Being slightly presumptive there, daf - The KLF's failed follow-up to Doctorin' The Tardis and 'tribute' to this PSB track would not be released for another 7 months.

Yeah, wasn't implying the Pet Shop Boys had nicked it -

Oddly enough I'd heard Kylie Said to Jason years before Left To My Own Devices - having picked up the 12" with the poster during MY KLF / Shamen obsessed days in the early 90's.

I only got round to hearing "the source" when they put those PSB 'Further Listening' re-issue albums out a few years later - Both are probably my favourite KLF and Pet Shop Boys tracks!

Jockice

The only time I ever heard Kylie Said To Jason on the radio was on the local commercial station at about 4 in the morning.  Sounded alright to me though.

buzby

Quote from: daf on December 10, 2019, 07:49:14 PM
Yeah, wasn't implying the Pet Shop Boys had nicked it
I wasn't implying that you were implying they nicked it ;) It's just my OCD desire to try and keep events in the thread in chronological order!
Oddly enough I'd heard Kylie Said to Jason years before Left To My Own Devices - having picked up the 12" with the poster during MY KLF / Shamen obsessed days in the early 90's.
I was a fan of the PSBs at the time as well, so when I first played my copy of the Kylie CD single I instantly realised what the score was. I was very disappointed when if fell flat on it's arse, but if it had been a success we might never have got the Pure Trance or Stadium House singles (though I still live in hope that the Pure Trance version of Go To Sleep that appears in snatches in The White Room film and the Virtual Reality Mix of WTIL? will resurface one day).

kaprisky

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on December 09, 2019, 03:51:47 PM
Does anyone know how the BBC4 ratings are holding up now that we are into a fallow chart period?

Years ago when I was at the Corporation I checked on the BBC4 repeat ratings and found that they were averaging in the region of 200,000 to 300,000. One of the more recent episodes managed to top 600,000! So it seems that they are as popular, maybe even more so, than they ever were. The addition of the Friday 9pm slot seems to be responsible for the higher figures since I imagine its intended audience is still commuting home during the 7:30pm slot(s).

jenna appleseed

Quote from: kaprisky on December 08, 2019, 11:04:27 AM

Speaking of Beach Boys '88 Kokomo bleakness

(thanks to richard I over on Roobarb's forum for pointing it out)

The photo is from 1976. Dennis is dead by 1988 and neither he nor Brian Wilson are on the record ffs, whereas Carl and Bruce are but are not on the photo.

Norton Canes

Norton Canes

Norton Canes